Match Ranking

maxan.7836

It's my 5th season in pvp and played about 1000 matches so i can tell what i see. After series like 8 wins in row i got 10 losts. Always when i close gold i falling down.I updating my build and no have problem to kill min .6 ppl per match. But i mostly have a afks, dc and haters. It's over and over.I thrink this is some kind of algorythm . After u wining u geting a lost striske. What u guys think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Undertaker.4368 said:It's my 5th season in pvp and played about 1000 matches so i can tell what i see. After series like 8 wins in row i got 10 losts. Always when i close gold i falling down.I updating my build and no have problem to kill min .6 ppl per match. But i mostly have a afks, dc and haters. It's over and over.I thrink this is some kind of algorythm . After u wining u geting a lost striske. What u guys think?

Doubt it. Keep in mind you are playing with and against other humans who are prone to over/underperform individually. Plus the fact that we tend to remember those negative experiences so much more than positive ones we are often left with the impression that the odds are simply stacked against us (on purpose). There is no way to tell if people will rage or afk before they actually do it, if they repeatedly do it they are already on their way to getting punished.

Note: I always feel this way when playing League of Legends. Do well, get into promos -> blessed by two 0 15 bot lanes in a row gg.

It just happens. It's frustrating, but very hard to prove it had anything to do with the matchmaking unless it was an obvious error. I think GW2 PvP is at the point where there are simply not enough people to sustain fair matches on every single rating so the difference between teams might be a bit further apart than it should be, but far from rigged.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Lucas.3718 said:Well to be fair, you cant really say if a player is legend league or true bronze league, because lets say you are legend or plat or whatever and you need to go away for some days or weeks, then you can say bye to your legend league and stick to bronze. its the decaying point of ranking that lets pro players play with noobs/beginners.

Decay does not affect matchmaking. Matchmaking uses your undecayed rating.

Can we look at how fast decay works?We start decaying after two days of no ranked play.For example say someone plays on Sunday, but doesn't play until Friday. That's about 4-5 days of no ranked play; 2-3 days of actual decay.In that period, we lose roughly a full tier's worth (this is moreso for those at higher ranks).

I haven't played ranked in maybe 4 days? I'm close to dropping to silver, starting from plat 2.I think the decay rate is very high. Maybe it's still using the old tiers where we had diamond before plat->legend?Playing ranked PvP is a nuisance when most of the time I'm trying to regain from decay. I understand that the lost points from decay comes back quickly, but at -400 decay we have to play at minimum 3-4 games until we start climbing again.

@Axelteas.7192 said:This season im finding pro teams in silver, thats unacceptable... matches losing 15-500

Can you tell me the date/time and exact score of the match where you as a silver player had pro teams? I'd like to look at that match.

Please help me look at a match that ended a minute ago.

Maybe about 10/7/2018 - 12:28AM Server time.

Didn't grab screenshots of it, but this is the only match on my account for the day. Horrible match, completely one sided blowout. was 2x duos vs full team of soloqueue, and I'm pretty sure half of my team were bots, and one guy said he was silver just in the game for pips.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Reikou.7068 said:

@Axelteas.7192 said:This season im finding pro teams in silver, thats unacceptable... matches losing 15-500

Can you tell me the date/time and exact score of the match where you as a silver player had pro teams? I'd like to look at that match.

Didn't grab screenshots of it, but this is the only match on my account for the day. Horrible match, completely one sided blowout. was 2x duos vs full team of soloqueue, and I'm pretty sure half of my team were bots, and one guy said he was silver just in the game for pips.

I think I found the match, at least this one had 2 duo queues on the opposite team. No silver players. The averages skill rating difference between the teams is 5 points.

Blue team (Defeated):Ranger - 1393Necromancer - 1432Necromancer - 1440Thief - 1515Guardian - 1521Average Skill Rating - 1460.2Std. Deviation - 55.72

Red team (Winner):Guardian - 1359Thief - 1391Necromancer - 1475Necromancer - 1514Mesmer - 1587Average Skill Rating - 1465.2Std. Deviation - 92.33

I think I found the match, at least this one had 2 duo queues on the opposite team. No silver players. The averages skill rating difference between the teams is 5 points.

Blue team (Defeated):Ranger - 1393Necromancer - 1432Necromancer - 1440Thief - 1515Guardian - 1521Average Skill Rating - 1460.2Std. Deviation - 55.72

Red team (Winner):Guardian - 1359Thief - 1391Necromancer - 1475Necromancer - 1514Mesmer - 1587Average Skill Rating - 1465.2Std. Deviation - 92.33

Thanks for adding in the Std. Deviation, that is helpful. I'm gonna state the obvious: it's almost double on Red Team vs. Blue Team. Is that generally true, that winning teams tend to have higher St. D? It would lend legitimacy to the general belief among high-tier players that you should pretty much always focus on particular builds that can carry hard rather than teamfighting builds, especially support.

@MyPuppy.8970 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Oh, and before I get a long list of requests to look up specific matches, I can't spend all day doing that. ;)

Can't it be implemented IG? There would be less complaints about matchmaking.

this would be awesome. just let it show at the end of the match so people won't pull out their pitchforks right at the start of it.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Huskyboy.1053 said:

Thanks for adding in the Std. Deviation, that is helpful. I'm gonna state the obvious: it's almost double on Red Team vs. Blue Team. Is that generally true, that winning teams tend to have higher St. D? It would lend legitimacy to the general belief among high-tier players that you should pretty much always focus on particular builds that can carry hard rather than teamfighting builds, especially support.

We use std. deviation as a tie breaker between match configurations that at very close in terms of average. Basically, once a the average is pretty close, the matchmaker tries to also get the std. deviation as close as it can. There isn't a strong correlation between std. deviation and win/loss.

• ArenaNet Staff

@MyPuppy.8970 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Oh, and before I get a long list of requests to look up specific matches, I can't spend all day doing that. ;)

We've talked about it. There are a lot of concerns with increasing toxicity, even if we show it only after the match. I do want to get at least the pre-match average displayed eventually.

@"Huskyboy.1053" said:

I second this request with all the sincerity a human being can possibly muster. It would be very informative to know if standard deviations have any statistically significant relationship to wins and losses.

If that data comes back, I hope we find that standard deviation doesn't really predict win or loss very well at all. It would be depressing to discover that the matchmaker essentially played the same "oh it's all good because averages and aggregates are all that matter" game that got us the financial sector crises of 2008 & beyond.

EDIT: Ben already answered this in the time I took to type and submit lol - thanks Ben! Good to know std dev isn't strongly correlated to win or loss.

Even if the game looks even a 1587 rating shouldn't be playing in games with players in the 1300s. I had a game a while back where I lost 8 and another where I lost 16 points, I'd really love to see the team compositions for those matches, considering I'm in gold.

We use std. deviation as a tie breaker between match configurations that at very close in terms of average. Basically, once a the average is pretty close, the matchmaker tries to also get the std. deviation as close as it can.
There isn't a strong correlation between std. deviation and win/loss.

I was gonna ask if you guys had looked into that. Good to know that you did in fact consider it, and look into it.

We've talked about it. There are a lot of concerns with increasing toxicity, even if we show it only after the match. I do want to get at least the pre-match average displayed eventually.

I don't think I've seen any direct correlation to increased toxicity with showing a rank in any game. As anecdotal as that is, have you talked about figuring out the reporting function and making it better? Maybe make reporting someone actionable and not just go off into report purgatory.

Showing MMR and average team MMR would do this game more good than bad at this point.

Can we do a public poll for it? If there is more than like 66% or 75% support it gets implemented? Probably unlikely that we will get that high of agreement but it would be interesting to see.

As for my reasoning on why I believe that it would be a good idea: in the game that you just looked up where the ranger on the blue team was 1400mmr and the Mes on the red team was 1600mmr, it could have benefited the blue team to be able to identify that their ranger is of a lower-than-average skill level for their team and the thief could have been more on point with going to help them out on home or far. As where with red team if they knew that they had a mirage at 1600mmr, they would be able to focus more on their winning team fights as that mirage would likely win on the side nodes.

I do understand that it could/would add toxicity to the games from the start, but honestly I believe that it is worth it in terms of coordination. Honestly it could even reduce midgame toxicity; as a thief, if I know my side noder is of a little lower skill level I'll be sure to put more resources into plusing them, and this would increase their odds of winning on a side node, and thus the team would not start complaining about how the side node duelist can't 1v1 as well they should be in that skill bracket. So I do believe there would be pros and cons, but for the sake of coordination, I believe that it is at least worth trying out for a season. After the season we could revisit the poll to see how the opinion has changed and potentially remove the feature from the game.

@"Axelteas.7192" said:This season im finding pro teams in silver, thats unacceptable... matches losing 15-500

Thanks for finding this for me. I was thief 1515 on Blue Team. For reference for anyone discussing this match further, Blue team was 5 soloqueues, and red team had 2 duo queues, IIRC Thief/Necro, and Necro/Mesmer. Match was basically 500-0.

One thing I find interesting about this is that you guys don't seem to weight duoqueues as higher MMR anymore. Why not? Not to mention in the game, both duoqueues were on the team with the higher average skill rating as well. Duo queue gives a huge in-game advantage, as well as allowing for people to tank the MMR on one of the duo queues to sandbag the duo's MMR. For example if you have a 1500 MMR player, and another 1500 MMR player on a 1100MMR alt, this is an average 1300MMR "team," that performs far higher than that.

@Reikou.7068 said:

@"Axelteas.7192" said:This season im finding pro teams in silver, thats unacceptable... matches losing 15-500

Thanks for finding this for me. I was thief 1515 on Blue Team. For reference for anyone discussing this match further, Blue team was 5 soloqueues, and red team had 2 duo queues, IIRC Thief/Necro, and Necro/Mesmer. Match was basically 500-0.

One thing I find interesting about this is that you guys don't seem to weight duoqueues as higher MMR anymore. Why not? Not to mention in the game, both duoqueues were on the team with the higher average skill rating as well. Duo queue gives a huge in-game advantage, as well as allowing for people to tank the MMR on one of the duo queues to sandbag the duo's MMR. For example if you have a 1500 MMR player, and another 1500 MMR player on a 1100MMR alt, this is an average 1300MMR "team," that performs far higher than that.

If it was basically 500 - 0 with that split, it just sounds like someone threw the match, regardless of it was win trading or someone AFKing to answer their door to pay for a pizza.

We use std. deviation as a tie breaker between match configurations that at very close in terms of average. Basically, once a the average is pretty close, the matchmaker tries to also get the std. deviation as close as it can. There isn't a strong correlation between std. deviation and win/loss.

Does duo qing increase rating directly somehow, or is it ignored in MMR? Also wondering how switching to an alt effects MMR?

@Hostility.4961 said:Wait, so the mmr system/anet thinks putting 2x duos on same side (and in this case an almost plat2 mesmer in a duo lol) vs all solo team (3 golds and 2 barely plat1 players) is a FAIR MATCHUP?? This mode is hopelessly lost with this type of thinking and designing.

I would like to get an answer to,what the hell they thinking about to put 5 soloq players against 2 duoq ,especially when this 1 of those duoq's top10 (small spoiler - game wasnt 'even' by any means xD)

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Why duoq doesnt have any special treat ? They have insane advantage over SOLO players , yet , that matchmaking almost always put 2 duoq together in same team giving them an INSANE advantage ... just why ?

@Abazigal.3679 said:

@Bazooka.3590 said:@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065"It seems to me you don't want to fix the Match Making.Luckily I have a solution to work it around! Wow!(For the hundredth time)This method would reduce the frustration factor what Match Making can cause when it draws together players with totally different amount of pvp experiences or/and ineffective builds against the opposite team. These are the matches what we call Total Blowouts with result like 100-500 or worse.The player can fall hundreds of league rank points in a bad row of games what happens more often then you think.

Instead of that it would be much more fair if the system would reward the player's personal efforts. Even if the player is on the the losing side the system should consider her or his personal match points and calculate the league rank point loss according to this. The higher personal match points the less league skill rank points to lose (maybe even none at all). I think it'll make the game much more fair and less less less frustrating, the community less toxic and your rank will be reflecting your personal pvp skill better not your luck.We already got the following match statistics in the game: damage, healing, kills, deaths, revives, offense, defense.More would be need to cover the different builds and playstyles like "party heal" and "boons applied on party members" etc...This system would keep the fighting spirit in players even if the match seems clearly a Total Blowout.I think it will also prevent the "idle on spawn point and cursing" type of behavior.

That's not going to do much because statistics don't necessarly mean anything. If i'm playing 1v2 on far , my team should be able to win the 4v3 on other points. On such scenario, i'm unlikely to get any stat. If we lose the match, statistics will tell i was useless, and my teammates did a better job, though they couldn't manage to win a 4v3 situation. Would it really be fair ?

What needs to happen is to have a leaderboard where everyone is at his deserved spot during a long time, and thats why you need to get rid of useless placement games, creating either frustrating either illusion of being good, starting back a few weeks later.

Thats why I said more statistics would be needed. In your case maybe "no. of evades" "no. of blocks" "damage absorbed" "self healing" I meant stuff like these.Maybe not the best idea but some counterweight is need becouse Match Making is a malfunctioning chaotic loose cannon and Anet have no intention to fix it.

One thing is crystal clear:Anet is in a desperate need of hiring an experienced pvp game designer.

@"Kaburro.4712" said:Let's do a test (for academic porpouse)( Games Won * 100 / Games Played )Read it as percentage and say something...

Which season? S5 (first season of rated season)

526 games played 450 wins

https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/pvp/seasons/A54849B7-7DBD-4958-91EF-72E18CD659BA/leaderboards/ladder/eu

Season 6

123 played 112 wins

https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/pvp/seasons/14E58A5B-9139-4B9B-A0B7-D2B79E303332/leaderboards/ladder/eu

Both those seasons were duoQ

https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/pvp/seasons/2F306FFD-500A-45E3-9118-1F0831F1B89F/leaderboards/ladder/eu

First soloq season S7 149 games played 130 won

@Abazigal.3679 said:

@Bazooka.3590 said:@Ben Phongluangtham.1065It seems to me you don't want to fix the Match Making.Luckily I have a solution to work it around! Wow!(For the hundredth time)This method would reduce the frustration factor what Match Making can cause when it draws together players with totally different amount of pvp experiences or/and ineffective builds against the opposite team. These are the matches what we call Total Blowouts with result like 100-500 or worse.The player can fall hundreds of league rank points in a bad row of games what happens more often then you think.

Instead of that it would be much more fair if the system would reward the player's personal efforts. Even if the player is on the the losing side the system should consider her or his personal match points and calculate the league rank point loss according to this. The higher personal match points the less league skill rank points to lose (maybe even none at all). I think it'll make the game much more fair and less less less frustrating, the community less toxic and your rank will be reflecting your personal pvp skill better not your luck.We already got the following match statistics in the game: damage, healing, kills, deaths, revives, offense, defense.More would be need to cover the different builds and playstyles like "party heal" and "boons applied on party members" etc...This system would keep the fighting spirit in players even if the match seems clearly a Total Blowout.I think it will also prevent the "idle on spawn point and cursing" type of behavior.

That's not going to do much because statistics don't necessarly mean anything. If i'm playing 1v2 on far , my team should be able to win the 4v3 on other points. On such scenario, i'm unlikely to get any stat. If we lose the match, statistics will tell i was useless, and my teammates did a better job, though they couldn't manage to win a 4v3 situation. Would it really be fair ?

What needs to happen is to have a leaderboard where everyone is at his deserved spot during a long time, and thats why you need to get rid of useless placement games, creating either frustrating either illusion of being good, starting back a few weeks later.

Or make proper length seasons, not the "grind matches or don't get to your proper rank" kind of seasons we have now.> @nativity.3057 said:

@Lucas.3718 said:Well to be fair, you cant really say if a player is legend league or true bronze league, because lets say you are legend or plat or whatever and you need to go away for some days or weeks, then you can say bye to your legend league and stick to bronze. its the decaying point of ranking that lets pro players play with noobs/beginners.

Decay does not affect matchmaking. Matchmaking uses your undecayed rating.

Can we look at how fast decay works?We start decaying after two days of no ranked play.For example say someone plays on Sunday, but doesn't play until Friday. That's about 4-5 days of no ranked play; 2-3 days of actual decay.In that period, we lose roughly a full tier's worth (this is moreso for those at higher ranks).

I haven't played ranked in maybe 4 days? I'm close to dropping to silver, starting from plat 2.I think the decay rate is very high. Maybe it's still using the old tiers where we had diamond before plat->legend?Playing ranked PvP is a nuisance when most of the time I'm trying to regain from decay. I understand that the lost points from decay comes back quickly, but at -400 decay we have to play at minimum 3-4 games until we start climbing again.

Again, that's because of the ridiculously short seasons. The decay NEEDS to be aggressive because seasons are too short, that's also why volatility is REALLY high right after and during placements, because season is so short it struggles to place you correctly, so it needs to be more volatile at the start.

@nortask.8351 said:

Can we do a public poll for it? If there is more than like 66% or 75% support it gets implemented? Probably unlikely that we will get that high of agreement but it would be interesting to see.

YEah, cause public polls have a track history if improving this game mode tons.

As for my reasoning on why I believe that it would be a good idea: in the game that you just looked up where the ranger on the blue team was 1400mmr and the Mes on the red team was 1600mmr, it could have benefited the blue team to be able to identify that their ranger is of a lower-than-average skill level for their team and the thief could have been more on point with going to help them out on home or far. As where with red team if they knew that they had a mirage at 1600mmr, they would be able to focus more on their winning team fights as that mirage would likely win on the side nodes.

I do understand that it could/would add toxicity to the games from the start, but honestly I believe that it is worth it in terms of coordination. Honestly it could even reduce midgame toxicity; as a thief, if I know my side noder is of a little lower skill level I'll be sure to put more resources into plusing them, and this would increase their odds of winning on a side node, and thus the team would not start complaining about how the side node duelist can't 1v1 as well they should be in that skill bracket. So I do believe there would be pros and cons, but for the sake of coordination, I believe that it is at least worth trying out for a season. After the season we could revisit the poll to see how the opinion has changed and potentially remove the feature from the game.

It is a good idea. At least we don't have to wonder, unlike what Arena Net seems to believe (given the general lack of transparency), being transparent and telling things how they are, is generally better than not. But then again, this is Guild Wars 2. Lets not marr the "best community eva", the same one that had a few thousand people banned from PvP for various offenses. Bestest of the best.

Polls on the other hand aren't a good idea. Management vy popular vote, especially on a minority interest like PvP will never be a good thing. It's like a country holding a poll on minority rights (homosexuality, ethnicity, etc) and expecting that the majority will have the minority's best interests at heart. Sure sometimes you might have a better class of population than others (which is unlikely in a internet poll), but most often than not you'll see a result that doesn't serve the best interests of the minority group.

And that was clearly the case with the last PvP public poll, removing teams from ranked marked a clearly perceptible downward trend on the quality and population of the game mode. And regardless of @Ben Phongluangtham.1065's opinion. You can't really say that a team based game mode that requires coordination is less competitive when you play with teams. Actually i really can't believe i have to explain this.I mean if it was something like a Deathmatch mode where individual performance (read kills) can greatly skew the results, but you can't be in two places at once, and you literally would need to do that to carry a conquest match by yourself.

Archived