Theory-crafting new expansion and professions

Sorry but there’s too many problems with this. For one, cantha is a continent not an island. And how would the deep sea dragon get to an inland lake? We know it can make minions out of any water, not that it can teleport itself into any lake. And while there have been rumors of the sea returning to normal, there have also been hints that it’s only barely changing - like maybe a few puddles on top of solid jade. Personally I think a map on solid jade is more interesting and if you want water maps, we have the sea

that's a cool map actually, and I got some nostalgia from that. Thank you!

It would be nice to go re-visit EotN (read my guardian name in my sig then look at EotN) territory and see whats going on with the charr homelands these days. The Catacombs or the Cathedral (or both) could be made into a raid as well, but now i'm just going off of a wish again lol. I really don't think that part of the map is going to be used. Maybe to the west of the mountain range in the far shiverpeaks.

what I really think. I do like some of the ideas this person was talking about, The ritualist and monk specs specifically (the Revenant and Guardian would get those) and using the Tengu (not as a new playable race) as a focal point into the theme of the expansion. Something has to push them to the brink and we should have to help them.

this is from the GW1 wiki. This is so people know where Cantha really is.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/a2/Tyria_world_fan_map_%28freestyle%29.jpg

@Fenom.9457 said:Sorry but there’s too many problems with this. For one, cantha is a continent not an island. And how would the deep sea dragon get to an inland lake? We know it can make minions out of any water, not that it can teleport itself into any lake. And while there have been rumors of the sea returning to normal, there have also been hints that it’s only barely changing - like maybe a few puddles on top of solid jade. Personally I think a map on solid jade is more interesting and if you want water maps, we have the sea

Well yeah I know Cantha is a continent, what I wanted to say is that, it's smaller than and surrounded by water, Cantha is more like Australia for us, it's big, yeah of course, but you can't really go there unless you use ships. That's why I said it was an island, but yeah, it's an actual continent

The Blood Legion homelands are a very cool place too for an expansion, but I can't really think of anything that will make us go there, maybe the titans?

One thing I want to see for sure it Menzies, the evil half-brother of Balthazar, in theory he's at war with his brother so, I do wanna know where this goes now.

@"RappsodyXVI.7865" said:

The Blood Legion homelands are a very cool place too for an expansion, but I can't really think of anything that will make us go there, maybe the titans?.Bangar Ruinbringer is the Imperator of the Blood Legion. He is considered a "wild card" among the current three Imperators of the charr High Legions, and is said to be both distrustful and prone to rage. He has a strong hatred for humans, which overcomes his suspicions about the other two Imperators to retain a shaky alliance. He rules from the Blood Citadel to the east of the Blazeridge Mountains.

(that's his entire wiki page https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bangar_Ruinbringer)

paranoid, hotheaded and racist sounds like he'd make a fun villain to me

@DeanBB.4268 said:

@Silmariena.6205 said:a ritualist must be a whole new profession, not just a spec....I do not understand how one can even think about such a half-solution :/

We already have the Ritualist e-spec: Revenant. What more do you expect from summoned spirits? Or is your concept of Rit different?

I have the impression that people who did not play this class in the original version say about the connection revenant to the ritualist. Stance is by no means spirits and definitely is not even his substitute. If I was to compare the action of a character in any way, then for me definitely the revenant is closer to the dervish.

@yoni.7015 said:

@Silmariena.6205 said:a ritualist must be a whole new profession, not just a spec....I do not understand how one can even think about such a half-solution :/

Unlikely that there will be a new class, there are now three classes for every armor type and no need for a whole new class. A Ritualist spec would be totally fine and enough.

I am afraid that you are right and for nothing better than pseudoprofessia pretending to be a ritualist, we can not count.

:anguished:

@Silmariena.6205 said:

We already have the Ritualist e-spec: Revenant. What more do you expect from summoned spirits? Or is your concept of Rit different?

I have the impression that people who did not play this class in the original version say about the connection revenant to the ritualist. Stance is by no means spirits and definitely is not even his substitute. If I was to compare the action of a character in any way, then for me definitely the revenant is closer to the dervish.

And I have the impression that people don't understand the difference between gameplay and theme, Revenant does not play the same as the Ritualist but it's still the closest thing thematically that we have. Same with Mesmer for example, gameplay is vastly different than it was in the first game but thematically it still uses Illusionary and chaos magic.

@Elric.4713 said:

And I have the impression that people don't understand the difference between gameplay and theme, Revenant does not play the same as the Ritualist but it's still the closest thing thematically that we have. Same with Mesmer for example, gameplay is vastly different than it was in the first game but thematically it still uses Illusionary and chaos magic.

if you are satisfied with this solution, I congratulate you and I am happy about your happiness, for me it is no equivalent and I completely dislike the suggestion that since both characters derive energy from mists, they are their counterparts ;)

Thank you for sharing your ideas. Imagination is a treasure and the ability to think "What if" and writing it all down to share with others is a gift.

Writing all your thoughts down, and sharing them on an internet forum is bravery because, being the unique personalities we all are, not everyone like the same things.

That being said, If your ideas end up happening, I would be pleased because I mostly like them :)

• 2 years later...

@"RappsodyXVI.7865" said:Hello guys, this is gonna be my first post in the forum, and today I want to explain a little of my theory for the new expansion, of course is not gonna be what we get in the end but I love to know if you would like an expansion like this.

Placement

Let's start with the big one for many people, where is the new expansion taking place?If we look at Hearth of Thorns and maguuma is clearly going for an earth theme, now we look at Path of Fire and you can see it in the name fire, so thinking in that way, the next entry of the expansions will take the water theme, and where is the water theme in guild wars, if maguuma is earth and the crystal desert is fire? Thanks for asking! And my choice will be CANTHA!

Why Cantha? Well let's see, Cantha is an island, a very big huge one! As you can see here 8ezEHDE.jpg

What better place for a water theme than an island! But wait, because there's more! You know what it's inside of Cantha? Yep! The Jade Sea. So we are not only in an island, but we have a huge jade SEA inside of it.

Story

Now that we know where the expansion is, how do we get there. Well I say we finally get the help of our feather friends the Tengu and of course what a better time to make them a playable race?

But why does the Tengu want to open their doors now? Why do they want to go to Cantha?

A messenger, arrived on a boat to lions arch, a Tengu, he headed directly for The Dominion of Winds, and after a few days, a big troop of Tengu arrives to lions arch demanding to speak with the commander (You!)

The Tengu starts explaining you, something happened in Cantha and the borders are open again, not buy choice but for necessity. The Jade Sea is melting and with it a terrible and ancient enemy has awoken. And yes, of course you know who I'm talking about The Deep Sea Dragon.

Now you might be thinking, but, wait, why is the Deep Sea Dragon in the Jade Sea? Shouldn't he/she be in...well.. the deep ocean? Yes! But of course we can't just go to an ocean to fight that dragon right? The ocean is too deep and too huge for players to go explore, maybe we could get a map or two but not all of them! So that's why I'm choosing the Jade Sea for this Dragon's place!

You could say, the jade sea is not melting, that's impossible. Well let' me place this here

"Over the past few years, life has begun to spring up in Echovald Forest as many areas have seen new growth take hold. Some even claim to have seen a change in the Jade Sea—small pools of water forming or even waves moving beneath the frozen surface—but these reports are unsubstantiated rumors at best."
— The Guild Wars Eye of the North Manuscript

There you have it proof that the Jade Sea is not actually melting right now, but it was already melting in GW1!

Professions

Now we are going for the gameplay part. And of course all of the new specializations are going to be based on Water and Asian themes. This is me trying to think new ideas and fun gameplay for the game, it could make it into GW2 or not.
  1. Guardian

The guardian is a very simple one to make. The name of the new specialization will be "Spellsword" and the new weapon will be sword off hand. We'll finally see some good Spirit weapon gameplay from this and it's going to be the whole theme for the spellsword. I imagine it being a very offensive class with a lot of CC. The virtues are going to change to invocations, and will indeed summon a weapon that is going to follow you for some time, casting different skills.
  • Virtue of Justice is going to summon 5 swords that will follow you and constantly do damage for 10 seconds
  • Virtue of Resolve is going to summon a staff that is going to cast Regeneration and aoe zones of water
  • Virtue of Courage is going to summon two maces that are going to smash the ground and cause crippled and immobile to foes.

All the skills gained from this specialization will create or empower spirit weapons that you create with the Virtues or the skills themselves.
  1. Revenant

This is an interesting one the revenant specialization will be called "Defender" and the new stance The Legendary Ritualist Stance and of course your new hero is going to be Master Togo itself. The new weapon Revenants are going to wield is the Scepter, yes, the scepter! And yes this is going to be a mid-range weapon that uses all the power of the mists! Remember, revenants are not warriors! Sure they can use something else than a melee weapon! The scepter will be a very defensive weapon, making use of aoe protections, retaliations and resistance for themselves and others!

The Ritualist Stance will summon a variety of ghosts, in a different way in how the Renegade uses them. They'll not be stationary and will be more like the necro minions, but with a more defensive set in mind.
  1. Warrior

Warrior is gonna be another one very easy to make for me because I really want this to become a reality. The warrior new specialization will be the "Corsair" and their new weapon will be pistol main hand. But this is not going to be a normal pistol, the range will be very, very short and will act like a shotgun, making sure the warrior stays right where it belongs, in the middle of the action!The new set of skills will be Tricks, you know them from the Thief skills, but this will be more on the... pirate sort of way, totally cool if you ask me.

The Adrenaline and burst attacks is going to change, instead of spending all the rage in one single attack, you'll fill the bar and activate the... let's call it "Yarrhg!!" mode. In this mode all your skills will change and you'll summon a dragon canon in your hands ->
66c1fdfaa9097a7c9eb0ceec2c6a2d7e.jpg
and you'll get access to a lot of canon abilities for the duration of the adrenaline bar till it's depleted.
  1. Engineer

For the specialization of the engineer I want to give them a dagger on the main hand and going to call the specialization "Gunner" and if you call someone gunner, you know what is going to come BIG F... GUNS! Yep, I feel like the engineer, being the master of guns and powder is lacking in the guns and powder department. So with this new specialization I'm going to give them a new kit, the minigun, and yes, yes, before everyone is screaming that miniguns don't exist in GW2, I need you to carefully look at the Beastslayer Rifle Skin
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/gw2-beastslayer-rifle-skin-3_thumb.jpg
Thats a minigun in my book guys. So yeah! Big guns for engineers... they should have that by now. For the rest of the skills they're going to be a gadgets that helps the Gunner with their job of going crazy! And don't give it a 1 skill like the flamethrower, the minigun is not going to stop shooting till you move, that's the bad thing about it, the big gun can't be used while moving so better think where to stay before firing
  1. Ranger

Another thing that I feel that Rangers need in their arsenal is a rifle, so I'm going to give them exactly that and name it "Marksman" Instead of the slow, steady aim of the deadeye, the marksman is going to be a crazy mobile shooter with their mobility and dash changes. Adding a new skills, Manipulations, the same as the mesmer's skills, the Marksman will be a very mobile dps specialization.

Of course all of that is going to cost something and the marksman trade all that mobility for almost no protections and something even worse! They are too focused in the battle to care for a pet so they lose it in the process! Because of that the Ranger will gain a new F1 named Focus that will make it posible to retain some focus and be able to summon new types of pets for a short duration of time, of course you'll choose the pet and their abilities
  1. Thief

Another thing that I'm dying to see is a thief wielding a two handed sword! And that's exactly what the "Shinobi" will do! A very quick and elegant fighter, this will be a difficult specialization to use, because of the new type of skills named hand seals.

You'll have 4 hand seals the seal of fire, water, air and earth. The Steal shadowstep is going to change to the "Break Seal" skill. But how seals work? Well, any 3 combination of the 4 seals will act as a unique skill for the shinobi, that means that 3 seals of fire is not going to be the same as 2 seals of fire and one of earth and the "Break Seal" is the skill you'll use to activate the chain of seals. Of course you can activate just one seal for a quick skill, using only one seal of water, for example.

Every seal you use till add 5 seconds to the CD of the Break Seal skill, so it could vary from 8 seconds, using only one seal to 24 seconds using 3 seals. The actual skills could work somethinglike this:
  1. Fire seal -> Inflict burning with your next attack
  2. Fire / Fire / Fire -> Launch a big fireball that explodes on contact, burning the target and 5 enemies around it.
  3. Fire / Fire / Water -> Launch a big ball of fire and water, burning the target and creating a field of water
  4. Wind / Earth / Water -> Teleport to an enemy, inflict vulnerability and restore some health to yourself.

This could work perfectly. With only one seal you get a hit skill, with two seals of the same element you'll have the normal skill, and with three seals of the element you'll unlock the true skill of that element. Working like this:
  1. Fire -> Big fireball that explodes on contact burning enemies
  2. Air -> Teleport to the target and shadowstrike it
  3. Earth -> Smash the ground making all enemies blind and inflicting vulnerability
  4. Water -> Corrupt the enemies blood, granting health on hit for you and your group.
  5. Elementalist

Well if the thief is going to have all that elemental power, what is going to have our friend elementalist? Well, something that they already have but it's not exploited in any way! The new weapon that the elementalist is going to use is the long bow. Yes, a super magick bow that is going to help the elementalist launch their spells even further and with greater accuracy, or should I call it "Arcanist"? Because our elementalist is going to mix all the elements they have to mage way for the more powerful and perfected element they have, Arcane.

Yes, the specialization you had since day one, that no one ever talked before, and Anet didn't use for anything? We are gonna use it here! So don't expect this Elementalist to use fire or water, because their arrows are pure arcane missiles, ready to pierce their target.

So of course this is going to mean that the Arcanist is not going to be able to change between elements and is stuck with one weapon with no switch mechanics right? WRONG! The Arcanist, like the holosmith will enter the "Archon" Mode will blast your bow into pieces and make way for the Arcanist to levitate and use their own hands as weapons, casting a mix of elemental and arcane spells while in this mode. But, how do you unlock the Archon mode? Well, thanks to their new consecrations the Arcanist will be able to charge the Archon bar to be able to explode in a powerful mess of spells and destruction.
  1. Mesmer

Mesmers will be granted the main hand pistol weapon and their specialization is going to be "Anima" is going to use even more phantasms than before!

Using the power of the jade sea, the mesmer is going to be able to shoot from any angle and truly look like a suffering soul looking for revenge. Their new skills will be of course shouts, always looking to consume more and more souls, trying to restore their own lost one.

And that's the new mechanic, sometimes will hitting a target, a piece of their soul will break off, the mesmer can walk and collect those pieces of souls, granting them bonus like regeneration, might and swiftness and allowing the mesmer to use their new shattering skills, that, instead of breaking the illusions of the Anime, they will summon the souls of the death to claim vengeance on the living!

And prepare yourself, because the Anima can use their shouts to command those souls to do their bidding!
  1. Necromancer

And last but not least the necromancer. They will become Augurs and wield their main hand swords to the field. But this time Augurs will focus on one specific thing, bones. Using, changing and even throwing their own bones as a deadly weapon against all enemies, even as far as controlling the bones of other living things.

As for their new skills those will become Conjures! Like the elementalist ones, but with a more twisted mind. Being able to summon weapons of bone from their own body and using them to destroy their enemies. From bows to axes of bone only being able to be used for a certain amount of time, the Augurs can even use the bodies of their party to make weapons for them too!

Final Note

If you are here, and you've read all of this, thank you, this is just me having a little fun with the GW2 universe as well as gameplay for the game, I know this is a looooong post, but thank you for sticking to the end! And don't forget to post your ideas about it, I love to talk about this things!

Dude, you were right :)

I just hope they stop ignoring all the issue with pets and make a spec that doesn't completely ignore it like Druid, or completely take it away like Southeast.

Pets are our profession mechanic...stop sweeping it under the rug, fix it and make some actual creative specs and improvements to the profession.