Do you feel like revenant has become stronger?

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

@Ario.8964 said:

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:

@"Kain Francois.4328" said:With the exception of Sword #1, Hammer #2 and Staff #5, everything else on Rev has only gotten buffs since release.

Revenant has absolutely become a stronger class.
  1. (Raids) Both Power and Condi Rev builds are now raid viable.
  2. (Raids) Renegade is ridiculously OP, able to provide huge heals to the team through Soulcleave Summit while dealing some of the highest condi dps in the game on large hitboxes.
  3. (Raids) Shortbow went from kitten in PvE to a meta-weapon used in raid DPS rotations.
  4. (WvW) Herald rework shot the damage multipliers on Revenant through the roof, essentially bringing back the pirate ship rev into WvW.
  5. (PvP) Sword #4 and #5 hit like a truck, while applying powerful conditions. Revenant is now quite good in PvP in the hands of someone who knows how to play one.

Granted, while this is mainly a PvE perspective, I do feel Revenant is also faring a lot better in other game modes as well. Saying things like "Oh, Revenant is only good because of OH sword" is a pretty shallow thing to say. Literally the only other offhand choices are Axe an Shield. It's not that sword is OP, but rather that Axe is outdated and in desperate need of a buff, while Shield always sucked. Saying things like "Oh it's just because Revenant can blink through hill, lol" kinda misses the point, since Revenant was
always
intended to do that kind of thing. Literally Sword #3 glues you to your target. Back during HoT interviews they stated it was supposed to be a class with high in-combat mobility while having poor disengages, and that's exactly what we got.

In pve world damage is decent. However, you take anything but OH sword into pvp and you won't kill anything because everyone else has so much sustain and damage mitigation on top of ridiculous amounts of cc and many have significantly better mobility both in combat and outside of combat. Rev is carried in pvp by OH sword because when it was reworked they basically just made it a better axe and gave it stupidly high damage allowing it to one shot stuff.

And as far as having been buffed/nerfed: the entirety of MH sword was nerfed multiple times since HoT was released, staff had damage reductions, and they still haven't removed the root on shield 5 (garbage design to begin with) Shiro got nerfed by the removal of quickness on impossible odds for pvp (in pve it was a buff). Energy costs have been increased on things like shiro roll while also nerfing the endurance gain (was probably a good change overall, but it still counts as a nerf). Also meta wise, rev is weaker now than at HoT release due to the existence of condi mirage and scourge. That's my view of it at least.

Thank you. Couldn't say it better myself. The entire class has gotten mostly nerfs and the damage is propped up so ridiculously by a broken OH sword that people are actually arguing rev is OP now.

Worst thing about it is most revs out there dislike OH sword for being as strong as it is. We want to fix the problem but now everyone else just wants to nerf rev sustain and defense more further forcing it into a 1 shot role.

Yeah I'm definitely included in that group, I'm tired of the weapon, the ridiculous damage coefficients and the utter lack of skill to make it work. Luckily in WvW I can find ways to make shield and axe work, but in PvP it is literally impossible to be useful without OH sword, especially in plat and up. I've mained this class for 3 years now and I've never felt as pigeonholed as I do now.

The removal of Equilibrium and the change to Impossible Odds, as well as the nerfs to other weapons, lowered the skillcap. Then the rework of sword offhand lowered the skill floor to the point that any bum can play rev and deal damage. After everyone realized shackle did too much damage they responded by making deathstrike faster. Then the herald rework missed its mark horribly. This is just not the class it was.

@Ario.8964 said:

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:

@"Kain Francois.4328" said:With the exception of Sword #1, Hammer #2 and Staff #5, everything else on Rev has only gotten buffs since release.

Revenant has absolutely become a stronger class.
  1. (Raids) Both Power and Condi Rev builds are now raid viable.
  2. (Raids) Renegade is ridiculously OP, able to provide huge heals to the team through Soulcleave Summit while dealing some of the highest condi dps in the game on large hitboxes.
  3. (Raids) Shortbow went from kitten in PvE to a meta-weapon used in raid DPS rotations.
  4. (WvW) Herald rework shot the damage multipliers on Revenant through the roof, essentially bringing back the pirate ship rev into WvW.
  5. (PvP) Sword #4 and #5 hit like a truck, while applying powerful conditions. Revenant is now quite good in PvP in the hands of someone who knows how to play one.

Granted, while this is mainly a PvE perspective, I do feel Revenant is also faring a lot better in other game modes as well. Saying things like "Oh, Revenant is only good because of OH sword" is a pretty shallow thing to say. Literally the only other offhand choices are Axe an Shield. It's not that sword is OP, but rather that Axe is outdated and in desperate need of a buff, while Shield always sucked. Saying things like "Oh it's just because Revenant can blink through hill, lol" kinda misses the point, since Revenant was
always
intended to do that kind of thing. Literally Sword #3 glues you to your target. Back during HoT interviews they stated it was supposed to be a class with high in-combat mobility while having poor disengages, and that's exactly what we got.

In pve world damage is decent. However, you take anything but OH sword into pvp and you won't kill anything because everyone else has so much sustain and damage mitigation on top of ridiculous amounts of cc and many have significantly better mobility both in combat and outside of combat. Rev is carried in pvp by OH sword because when it was reworked they basically just made it a better axe and gave it stupidly high damage allowing it to one shot stuff.

And as far as having been buffed/nerfed: the entirety of MH sword was nerfed multiple times since HoT was released, staff had damage reductions, and they still haven't removed the root on shield 5 (garbage design to begin with) Shiro got nerfed by the removal of quickness on impossible odds for pvp (in pve it was a buff). Energy costs have been increased on things like shiro roll while also nerfing the endurance gain (was probably a good change overall, but it still counts as a nerf). Also meta wise, rev is weaker now than at HoT release due to the existence of condi mirage and scourge. That's my view of it at least.

Thank you. Couldn't say it better myself. The entire class has gotten mostly nerfs and the damage is propped up so ridiculously by a broken OH sword that people are actually arguing rev is OP now.

Worst thing about it is most revs out there dislike OH sword for being as strong as it is. We want to fix the problem but now everyone else just wants to nerf rev sustain and defense more further forcing it into a 1 shot role.Personally, I dislike Sword OH for being the best option for power build (and it is not like we have many options for mainhand). Somebody said it countless times before - sword offhand is overtuned to make up for everything this class is lacking. And with each pseudobuffs we get even less options for basically EVERYTHING while the other classes get more ridiculous with their pseudonerfs omegalul

Anyway, with each time I feel less inclined to read or provide feedback on these boards, implying devs will never bother to fix revenant because complete overhaul (not bunch of overtuned numbers) wouldn't be cost effective. And when they actually try to take on this problem and follow community suggestions they'd turn it inside out like with Song of the Mists which was supposed to fill Equilibrium's niche.

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Yeah I'm definitely included in that group, I'm tired of the weapon, the ridiculous damage coefficients and the utter lack of skill to make it work. Luckily in WvW I can find ways to make shield and axe work, but in PvP it is literally impossible to be useful without OH sword, especially in plat and up. I've mained this class for 3 years now and I've never felt as pigeonholed as I do now.

The removal of Equilibrium and the change to Impossible Odds, as well as the nerfs to other weapons, lowered the skillcap. Then the rework of sword offhand lowered the skill floor to the point that any bum can play rev and deal damage. After everyone realized shackle did too much damage they responded by making deathstrike faster. Then the herald rework missed its mark horribly. This is just not the class it was.

Wait, how did you get shield to work in WvW?

I just started playing rev this summer so I don't know much about rev before that, but if OH Sword was worse before, what made up for it (and how were they nerfed to be what they are now?). Specifically what did Equilibrium do, and how was Rev's sustain better then (if it was)?

@idolin.2831 said:I just started playing rev this summer so I don't know much about rev before that, but if OH Sword was worse before, what made up for it (and how were they nerfed to be what they are now?). Specifically what did Equilibrium do, and how was Rev's sustain better then (if it was)?

Equilibrium triggered when swapping legends. If you were below 50 energy when swapping, it'd do a pretty insubstantial PBAoE heal, but if you were above 50, it'd do PBAoE damage instead, and the numbers could get pretty high, especially in tandem with sigils. It rewarded pooling your energy for a big burst, and could be combo'd nicely with other skills since it was instant. Spirit Boon replaced its spot, but Song of the Mists is its failed hipster successor. I was never good at using it.

Depends how far back you're talking about with patches/changes.

I would say Rev was at an all time low when PoF came out and Mirage/Scourge/Release Full Counter were off the charts redonkulous... And then the Impossible Odds changes sunk it even lower.

But then the OH Sword rework and Incensed Response buff boosted it up a lot by returning its burst level, and it's been about at that level ever since. The Herald rework mostly just moved things around--although I guess the boon strip in Shiro is a pretty big spike--altough probably not as big as being able to double tap to pad your bursts with elder's focus. See it's mostly been that sort of ride since then. You lose one strong thing, and gain something different, but about equal in power. Like toning down IR, but giving improved might... Etc, etc, etc.

im playing with zealots stats on a herald/ventari build, so for this type of build it was a super improvement... :\

Got decent damage, since most cases only 1111 is needed .Got big heals.Got passive heals for every one..Got damage buffs for every one.Got condi removal for every one.

On WvW can support to 10 players so the mesmer can start copy cat boons left and right.

I assume most people voted no cause they can be carried with damage output as they can in some other specs?Rev got defenitly stronger in support while can keep/help with some damage.

Archived