WvW Zerg Herald - Dragon Legend Facet best practices

Turkeyspit.3965

Looking for advice on what facets to run while zerging. I've watched several videos and I don't see any consistent choices, and was wondering what experienced Hammer Backline players use.

At one point I ran with Darkness, Strength and Elements up, activating Elemental Blast as soon as the fight started, leaving me a -4 upkeep which I thought was perfect.Then after watching several videos I noticed players not bothering with Facet of Darkness, so I tried running with Strength, Elements and Light active at all times, which again is a -4 upkeep. That seems to work well, but I was wondering if running Elements during combat is a mistake, given the chance the swiftness boon can be corrupted into crippled.

So now I'm thinking:Out of combat: Light, Elements, StrengthIn combat: Light + Strength, use Elemental Blast on cooldown, and Chaotic Release when needed.

Thoughts?

The obvious answer would be to ask the comm, but I run with pugs and most don't assign such details -they mainly focus on dome + veil cooldowns.

I dunno. when I played wvw I was a melee rev, I run with all of the utilities up and use them when frontline engages then swap legends. if melee then its best to have your facets up as much as possible since they are there primarily for the passive boons. some ppl not having swiftness or fury is a huge hindrance. if pure backline then I think only worrying about having full might should be your concern.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Looking for advice on what facets to run while zerging. I've watched several videos and I don't see any consistent choices, and was wondering what experienced Hammer Backline players use.

At one point I ran with Darkness, Strength and Elements up, activating Elemental Blast as soon as the fight started, leaving me a -4 upkeep which I thought was perfect.Then after watching several videos I noticed players not bothering with Facet of Darkness, so I tried running with Strength, Elements and Light active at all times, which again is a -4 upkeep. That seems to work well, but I was wondering if running Elements during combat is a mistake, given the chance the swiftness boon can be corrupted into crippled.

So now I'm thinking:Out of combat: Light, Elements, StrengthIn combat: Light + Strength, use Elemental Blast on cooldown, and Chaotic Release when needed.

Thoughts?

The obvious answer would be to ask the comm, but I run with pugs and most don't assign such details -they mainly focus on dome + veil cooldowns.

Rule #1: keep as many upkeep as possible -- becoz 1 rising momentum 2 forceful persistence ;Rule #2: try to keep positive energy recovery (at least 1) so come toRule #3: energy consumption as few as possible.

Then you already get the answer:light(1)+elements(1)+darkness(2)

If you run healing herald, all you need is Chaos+light. Perma protection+regen is most important for team support.

@CRrabbit.1284 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Looking for advice on what facets to run while zerging. I've watched several videos and I don't see any consistent choices, and was wondering what experienced Hammer Backline players use.

Thoughts?

Rule #1: keep as many upkeep as possible -- becoz 1 rising momentum 2 forceful persistence ;Rule #2: try to keep positive energy recovery (at least 1) so come toRule #3: energy consumption as few as possible.

If you run healing herald, all you need is Chaos+light. Perma protection+regen is most important for team support.

Cool, but two questions:

1: Isn't running Draconic Echo more valuable / meta at least in a squad 10+?2: Am I correct that running elements is risky because of boon corrupt, or that's just not a worry? Currently I'm running elements only until we engage, then its just elemental blast on cooldown, which also means I'm running at only a -3, so I've been using the extra energy on Hammer 5

@Justine.6351 said:Yes you can swap legends, it's ok, nobody will send you to bed early with no supper.

Oh I have no fear of that. If I just camped Glint non-stop I wouldn't be doing a good job imo. When I'm under heavy pressure (low energy on Glint or light is on cooldown because I had to save my fur), I'll swap to Jalis and run F2 + Right spam. Works wonders for the 4 people closest to me lol.

So again, no real danger of running elements around enemy scourges and getting that swiftness corrupted into cripple?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Yes you can swap legends, it's ok, nobody will send you to bed early with no supper.

Oh I have no fear of that. If I just camped Glint non-stop I wouldn't be doing a good job imo. When I'm under heavy pressure (low energy on Glint or light is on cooldown because I had to save my fur), I'll swap to Jalis and run F2 + Right spam. Works wonders for the 4 people closest to me lol.

So again, no real danger of running elements around enemy scourges and getting that swiftness corrupted into cripple?

Oh idk I don't play jalis. Although I do run sigil of cleansing on my hammer and until that recently got buffed, I was running cleansing channel.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Thoughts?

Cool, but two questions:

1: Isn't running Draconic Echo more valuable / meta at least in a squad 10+?2: Am I correct that running elements is risky because of boon corrupt, or that's just not a worry? Currently I'm running elements only until we engage, then its just elemental blast on cooldown, which also means I'm running at only a -3, so I've been using the extra energy on Hammer 5

1, if you the only herald in the squad, but in most of case, you will not be alone.2, boon corrupt never matters, even you get crippled it will be not a life changer, actually with or without swiftness during combat doesn't make much difference. For repossitioning, you have staff 5 and Shiro. I would love to have strength if it's -1, but unfortunately it's -2, then of coz pick darkness as priority.

@CRrabbit.1284 said:

Thoughts?

Cool, but two questions:

1, if you the only herald in the squad, but in most of case, you will not be alone.2, boon corrupt never matters, even you get crippled it will be not a life changer, actually with or without swiftness during combat doesn't make much difference. For repossitioning, you have staff 5 and Shiro. I would love to have strength if it's -1, but unfortunately it's -2, then of coz pick darkness as priority.

Oh idk I don't play jalis. Although I do run sigil of cleansing on my hammer and until that recently got buffed, I was running cleansing channel.

I take it neither of you run Jalis. I haven't played much in Shiro but I understand the concept. I just figured Jalis' F2 and Rite of the Great Dwarf was a far better tool to use to help support the squad under heavy pressure. Am I wrong in this thinking or is Shiro just a personal preference for you both?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Thoughts?

Cool, but two questions:

I take it neither of you run Jalis. I haven't played much in Shiro but I understand the concept. I just figured Jalis' F2 and Rite of the Great Dwarf was a far better tool to use to help support the squad under heavy pressure. Am I wrong in this thinking or is Shiro just a personal preference for you both?

I play alone and smallscale and sometimes pug zerg. Shiro is good for all 3 scenarios. Keep running Jalis if you only play in guild comp. I don't really have an answer for you on the swift corrupted to cripple issue as I just legend swap it off.

You definitely want to keep your heal facet up. Consuming heal facet is instant and cannot be interrupted, but activating the facet has a casttime.Saved me countless times.Darkness is good for stunbreak.

It all depends really, if your zerg is stronger or equally strong as your opponent then you are fine just channeling might/fury/swiftness, if it isnt you are better off with with heal and whatever else the situation needs.

Light+Darkness+Elements... Maybe Strength if you're in a zerg, but everyone's getting plenty of might from other sources, so yer better off just trying to get the active proc off for a burst modifier. It's really a dealer's choice there on another forceful persistence modifier or more energy to spam CoR.

I would say that Light + Darkness are musts tho... You'll want to be able to pop infused light at will if you get pulled and cc'd, and with Darkness, it's not as important in that regard, as it's insta-cast so you can double tap it, BUT, you want to be pulsing fury to fuel Incensed Response (and to give your friendos fury, which is probably your strongest/most useful group buff in these situations, since last patch took away a lot of FB's access to give it.)

Since I'm somewhat new to Revenant, I may not give the best advice. Still, I'd like to give some input.

I typically keep Strength and Darkness up as soon as I swap to Glint. I drop Strength on any targets that end up close enough to hit for the damage buff and I drop Elements in chokes, on downed players or as I'm retreating. I try to keep Darkness up as frequently as possible so I don't have to double tap for the stunbreak and for the Fury benefit from Roiling Mists.

As for the others, I only keep Light up when I know I'm about to be hit with something I won't survive, if I'm falling a little behind and know I'll take some heavy hits or when we're full pushing and I've swapped to staff (mind you, I'm also extremely confident with my zerg predictions and positioning. Usually if I die, it's either because I'm being focused by someone/s or I've overextended). I drop Chaos when a zerg is pushing through us or we're pushing through a zerg, but I pretty much never keep it up. I only double tap it for the CC or stow cancel it in duels for baits.

I'm honestly not certain how to properly use Facet of Nature yet however. I know how to use it for the other Legends, but I'm not sure what the optimal way to use it is for Glint. I usually activate it before swapping to another Legend so I can keep the Boons from the Facets a little longer.

If you're interested, you can see some of my gameplay in the video below. (Note: We were pretty heavily outnumbered for some of these fights and low on Firebrands. Many of the Revs, myself included, were using Jalis to compensate. I usually use Shiro instead). Just keep in mind I'm still learning as well so, it's best to take my habits with a grain of salt. Still, I hope you at least find it helpful in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmdpMFipME&list=PL7Y2co19oJC738TE463cm6BNEq7ZhiEMB

For healer I prioritize Light & Chaos, but will use all of them depending on the situation. With the boon duration of Minstrel's and Monk Runes, I can keep up perma-swiftness very easily without the upkeep because of Draconic Echo, so I try not to keep up too many facets activate so I can use my weapon skills if need be. Before I swap I usually try to keep up all available upkeeps to drain my energy so I can proc Charged Mists (I prefer Invocation over Retribution). Right before switching I'll also try popping some consumes so DE can take effect while I'm in Ventari.I don't really use Facet of Nature much because the condi cleanse is fairly valuable for Ventari True Nature and if I swap with it still active, it messes my energy management up since the facet stays active and I don't like using Ventari's FoN.

I wanted to thank all of you for your responses. They were all very helpful. Been WvW'ing a lot more lately and have really improved my Rev play. I have gotten better at positioning, and mixing in my Hammer 5 and 3 with Elemental Burst as the other team pushes forward.

I'm still running Glint / Jalis and I think it's a marvelous combo for zerging. I spend almost all my time now in Glint running Light / Darkness / Elements, swapping only to Dwarf when the group is under heavy pressure, where I hit F2 and start spamming RotGD. Also gotten much better on using Staff to reposition or even to charge through downed players.

This is now my go-to class for zerg play, and has even become the class I'll use to solo up dailies like Camp Capturer, etc. Some part of me worries that if I'm having this much fun, something is going to get nerfed, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts :)

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I wanted to thank all of you for your responses. They were all very helpful. Been WvW'ing a lot more lately and have really improved my Rev play. I have gotten better at positioning, and mixing in my Hammer 5 and 3 with Elemental Burst as the other team pushes forward.

I'm still running Glint / Jalis and I think it's a marvelous combo for zerging. I spend almost all my time now in Glint running Light / Darkness / Elements, swapping only to Dwarf when the group is under heavy pressure, where I hit F2 and start spamming RotGD. Also gotten much better on using Staff to reposition or even to charge through downed players.

This is now my go-to class for zerg play, and has even become the class I'll use to solo up dailies like Camp Capturer, etc. Some part of me worries that if I'm having this much fun, something is going to get nerfed, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts :)

Now it's time to practice S/S + staff for small scale fight + GvG. Hammer is not an efficient weapon again small scale or highly mobile team due to its super slow atk speed.

Archived