Best 2018 mmo???

Sylent.3165

Honestly? I don't care that much it's not in this ranking. It's all about advertising and who paid "most" probably anyway.

I feel gw2 is the best mmo on the market right now - best one from the not "super outdated looks" - at least for me. I didnt enjoy ESO or FF at all, both telt bland, super boring and combat was bad.While GW2 has its faults (like boring story most of the time - expecially LS2 and bad boring leveling - like in most MMOs) I still feel like its the most enjoyable MMO right now and I don't think its only because there are no super good MMOs out now. I am having as much fun in GW2 as I had in 2006-20011 in other MMOs is "mmo's era".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:I don't feel like I've gotten less content this year. This year has given me more content that I'm interested in.

Personal interest aside, an apples to apples comparison between 2017 and 2018:

2017: 5 Legendary Weapons, 2018: 3 Legendary Weapons2017: 1 Legendary Armor (2 if you count PVP one), 1 Legendary Backpack, 1 Legendary Accessory, 2018: 0 Legendary items2017: 4 Episodes with 4 maps, 2018: 3 Episodes with 3 maps

Other additions:2017: 2 new Fractal (one with CM), 1 reworked Fractal, 2018: 1 new Fractal (no CM)2017: 2 Raid Wings, 2018: 1 Raid Wing

Miscellaneous additions (not comparable):2017: Ammunition mechanic, Competitive Feature Pack (WVW Skirmish Update, Structured PVP Updates), 2018: Roller Beetle Mount, Mad King's Raceway, Beetle Races, return of Festival of Four Winds, Secret Lair of the Snowmen

2017: an expansion, 2018: no expansion

Doesn't change a word I said. I'm playing this year more than I played last year, based solely on the new content provided me. You can say there were more content, but it didn't keep me as busy as the content that's in there now. Which is absolutely 100% all I care about.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:I don't feel like I've gotten less content this year. This year has given me more content that I'm interested in.

2017: 5 Legendary Weapons, 2018: 3 Legendary Weapons2017: 1 Legendary Armor (2 if you count PVP one), 1 Legendary Backpack, 1 Legendary Accessory, 2018: 0 Legendary items2017: 4 Episodes with 4 maps, 2018: 3 Episodes with 3 maps

Other additions:2017: 2 new Fractal (one with CM), 1 reworked Fractal, 2018: 1 new Fractal (no CM)2017: 2 Raid Wings, 2018: 1 Raid Wing

Miscellaneous additions (not comparable):2017: Ammunition mechanic, Competitive Feature Pack (WVW Skirmish Update, Structured PVP Updates), 2018: Roller Beetle Mount, Mad King's Raceway, Beetle Races, return of Festival of Four Winds, Secret Lair of the Snowmen

Doesn't change a word I said. I'm playing this year more than I played last year, based solely on the new content provided me. You can say there were more content, but it didn't keep me as busy as the content that's in there now. Which is absolutely 100% all I care about.

You have stated many, many, times in the past that what matters most to you in terms of content is open world maps. 2017 got more than twice as much of your stated, repeatedly, content preference.

@Vayne.8563 said:Doesn't change a word I said. I'm playing this year more than I played last year, based solely on the new content provided me. You can say there were more content, but it didn't keep me as busy as the content that's in there now. Which is absolutely 100% all I care about.

That's fine, and a personal preference of course, but the fact is, we got less content in 2017 than in 2018. In 2017 we got more diverse content AND more of it when comparing similar aspects like legendary weapons and new world maps. How much each individual player values the content we got is obviously gonna change based on their tastes. But that doesn't change the fact that we got more content in 2017 than in 2018. You might've liked the content we got in 2018 more than the content we got in 2017, but that's personal preference and has nothing to do with how -much- we got.

Also good for you that you got more of what you care about in 2018. Maybe in 2019 some other parts of the playerbase will get more of what -they- want this time.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

While the back to back comparison is true, we can't omit 1 thing: the pre 2017 content drought directly after HoT.

2017 was a year which followed a year with nearly no content (2016). It is not unlikely that at least some of the content which released 2017 was developed and worked on in 2016. It's similar to the Living World Episode tomorrow (LWS4 Episode 5). While it technically releases in 2019, I guarantee you the vast majority of work which went into it was done in 2018. Same goes for the fractal which hopefully releases with it.

I guess we can only hope that since there was less content released in 2018 AND no expansion, that 2019 holds more goodies for the players ready. Time will tell.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:I guess we can only hope that since there was less content released in 2018 AND no expansion, that 2019 holds more goodies for the players ready. Time will tell.

This is what I believe too. 2019 won't have an expansion either so I hope in terms of content it will have way more than 2018 (even more than 2017 hopefully)

2017 was a year which followed a year with nearly no content (2016).

Are you sure we got no content in 2016?

2016: 3 Legendary Weapons, 2018: 3 Legendary Weapons2016: 1 Legendary Backpack, 2018: 0 Legendary items2016: 3 Episodes with 3 maps, 2018: 3 Episodes with 3 maps

Other additions:2016: 2 new Fractals (one with CM) 2018: 1 new Fractal (no CM)2016: 2 Raid Wings, 2018: 1 Raid Wing

Miscellaneous additions (not comparable):2016: 2 new PVP Maps, revamped Shatterer, Gliding in Central Tyria, 2018: Roller Beetle Mount, Mad King's Raceway, Beetle Races, return of Festival of Four Winds, Secret Lair of the Snowmen

I'm not sure how you call that "no content" in many cases the amount of content we got in 2016 was similar, or greater than what we got in 2018, even though the living world restarted at the latter half of 2016 (July). Which makes the lack of content in 2018 all the more surprising.

@Ashen.2907 said:

You have stated many, many, times in the past that what matters most to you in terms of content is open world maps. 2017 got more than twice as much of your stated, repeatedly, content preference.

Yes, and we got maps I liked MORE this year than last year. The amount of open world maps doesn't interest me. Most of the PoF maps don't interest me. And Palawadan sure as hell doesn't interest me. It's okay to get a lot of shitty zones that I don't like, but I'd rather have zones that I do like. So yes, I prefer open world content. But you've surely seen me say I prefer HoT maps to PoF maps as well. I love how people try to quote me to disprove me.

It's a fact, not a guess, but a fact, that I'm playing more this year than last year, because this year I'm enjoying the content more. That's all I'm saying. I'm not even sure how anyone can refute or it say it's wrong. This content has me playing more hours.

Just because GW2 doesn't win silly awards on random websites, that does not mean the game is bad. Everyone who follows MMOs knows that GW2 is one of "the big four" - GW2, ESO, FFXIV, WoW. Also, NCsoft's sales reports show that the game is still making a steady amount of money, no decline. That's all the proof I need that GW2 is still one of the best MMOs with a healthy population.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

While the back to back comparison is true, we can't omit 1 thing: the pre 2017 content drought directly after HoT.

2017 was a year which followed a year with nearly no content (2016). It is not unlikely that at least some of the content which released 2017 was developed and worked on in 2016. It's similar to the Living World Episode tomorrow (LWS4 Episode 5). While it technically releases in 2019, I guarantee you the vast majority of work which went into it was done in 2018. Same goes for the fractal which hopefully releases with it.

I guess we can only hope that since there was less content released in 2018 AND no expansion, that 2019 holds more goodies for the players ready. Time will tell.

Anet was undergoing a restructuring of their internal teams and methods of communication and work during 2016. Content for 2017 might had been developed from 2016 but so did content for 2018 was developed during 2017.

What matter is what us players see and play, if they are working on 100 or 10 things internally that doesnt matter because 1) we dont know about it 2) it might get cut 3)its irrelevant untill we get it in game.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

That's just it, and I am happy you realized this yourself, you WANT WoW. Most GW2 player do NOT WANT WoW. We play GW2 because we do NOT WANT WoW.

Imagine if I went over to the WoW boards and demanded that Blizzard:
  • stop gear progression (which is interesting since classic servers without constant progression is of actual interest to some people, let's see how that works out)
  • remove the subscription but implement a way more expansive cash shop

How does that make me a WoW player? It makes me a GW2 player in the wrong game.
You are a WoW player in the wrong game.

Lol, I've played GW1 and loved it, I played WoW and loved it, I played GW2 from the early Beta and loved it. You are not telling me that I am playing the wrong game. I have few games where I have more hours played than GW2. But is GW2 perfect? Is GW2 good from the perspective of a longterm player in 2018/2019? I told you what I think about that.

Also, I never demanded anything. I replied to a thread that raised the question, why GW2 was not chosen by players (which are not only those ppl that currently love GW2 so much) as the best MMO 2018. Stop being so defensive lol.

True, my response was also not aimed at only you but also some other players who did make those demands.

@Cyninja.2954 said:You don't "just pay 12€ every month on top".
The subscription is the main monetization behind WoW.
The cash shop items there are just because they can milk even more money out of their players. WoW makes a huge bulk of their revenue from those 12€ and it allows for them to keep the lights on.

This once was the case. With rapidly dwindling subscriber numbers and a noticeably rising influence of Activision over Blizzard, a new focus on Mobile games and Micro transactions throughout every single one of their IPs, that's not where things seem to be heading. Going F2P at some point and changing the business model is also nothing unheard of for an MMO.

and once WoW goes f2p and they have adapted their business model, then we can compare. Also don't kid yourself. Blizzard is still sitting on at least a comfy 2-2.5 million subscribers or we would be seeing way different actions taken.

WoW going f2p was mentioned as possibility 2 years ago by developers ONCE subscriber numbers are completely down. We are far from that case no matter how disappointed people might be. The game is still very healthy to sustain it's couple of thousand developers.

@Cyninja.2954 said:No one here loves the gem store. People are happy that Arenanet is able to manage so far with sticking mostly to cosmetics (but a change and stronger push to gem sales is noticeable). There is thousands of examples, even in the MMORPG genre, where this is not the case and the developer or publisher put out insane pay-to-win or customer unfriendly monetization in place.

And there are other examples like Warframe, where you get everything in the game. And no, this is not just done in the most boring way imaginable (convert currency and get a UI popup), stuff is implemented in the world and you can actively go out there and farm specific things. Putting stuff into a shop and giving them via ingame post ist just the most lazy way of doing it and ppl like you defending it in any way is pretty sad.

Do you really want me to start listing all the MMOs or semi MMOs with worse online stores? I didn't say GW2 had the best, I said it had one of the most customer friendly online stores. Warframe being another prime example of a developer who puts players first does not debunk this.

@Adenin.5973 said:Community should be there to push the devs to go the extra mile, to put in the most effort possible, to produce something truly outstanding. Not give them excuses to implement or keep lackluster mechanics and systems. If they can do it after listening to their community great, if it's truly not possible, okay, that's then how it is. But I will never understand the mindset of "fans" that make excuses for the company. It's Anets job to come up with excuses and explain why they can't do something. All that your attitude is achieving, is giving them a free pass on not doing anything, since from Anets perspective ppl don't make any noise about it and are seemingly okay therefore with it.

and this has happened. Players were very unhappy with how HoT released and made a fuss. Arenanet had to give and made gestures and gave people free character slots.

My attitude is achieving nothing besides not coming over as some spoiled brat. When something bothers me and I find it unreasonable, I comment on it or better yet, let my wallet speak. I mentioned the increasing push for gem sales. Now this might be because the developers are greedy, or it might be because they need funding or else the same as with Blizzard and Activision will happen between NCSoft and Arenanet.

@Adenin.5973 said:The gw2 reward system feels like a glorified online shop. There's no lore, no interesting quest, nothing behind all these items you get. Even farming a 10 year old mount in WoW is more exciting than getting a legendary like skin from the GW2 shop.

What makes it even worse is the artificial scarcity introduced to push sales. There's not a single reason beyond making more money, why you would want to have these items rotate on an unknown schedule and not be available for your players. This leads to ppl that farm gold just in case something they want pops up for sale. Meaning you have now players out there grinding gold without any specific goal in mind. That's like the worst case scenario.

And when you really want a skin from the shop you have no idea when it becomes available again, so what are you doing now in a game, where the main reward is skins? Farm gold 1 year in advance? I can't imagine how many ppl were really annoyed by items not being available.

Of course there are also tons of ppl that then won't start grinding gold for something that they have no clue when it will become available again. And then wen it is available, they panic buy with their RL cash to have it before it vanishes again. It's a shady marketing tactic for digital sales, since there's no reason, unlike in physical stores, to not have every single item on display or ready to sell. look at howe much flag Blizzard is getting right now with their mounts that they send now in "hibernation". They just started doing the same stuff Anet did all along. It's bad from Blizzard and it's bad for Anet.

So their monetization works. For all those oh so poor people who are not in control of their spending habits, how many are playing this game with almost 0$ spent on it? Exactly.

You are literally complaining about Arenanet being able to provide a not subscription based product while being one of the most customer friendly developers in the market (as far as the gem store goes).
That is mental.

I just said that I wished that GW2 had the amount of manpower that Blizzard has. I also wished it would get a subscription, so we can finally have something else to do than farming gold in SW for weeks to klick on a mount in the shop. How is wishing for something complaining? Again, very defensive from your side.

If Arenanet had the same man power as Blizzard, the required gem sale would be way higher.

We can loot at games like poe and diablo 3, 1 game has a goliath to back it up and is still eating the dust of a small studio with less manpower and way less money to invest.

It does not have a subscription. Hoping it has one, while possible, does not make it so. Being unfair and judgemental against the developers while they have a different monetization model is strait up unfair or entitled.

You want to be unhappy AND feel treated unjust? Go to the Blizzard forums where people have to pay a subscription AND now get fremium treatment.

We can deff compaire gw2 and wow. They are both mmos and both look to get a number of the same groups to play them, what they did for monetisation is up to each. If we need to use gw2's monetisation or size to defend its state versus other mmos we must ask ourselves if gw2 didnt do a good job with its model.

We could also take other factors into acount that work against wow, for example wow is like 14 yo while gw2 is 6 yo. We could w8 to see how gw2 will be in 8 years and compaire it with how wow is doing now and for the rest of its 14th year.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:I guess we can only hope that since there was less content released in 2018 AND no expansion, that 2019 holds more goodies for the players ready. Time will tell.

This is what I believe too. 2019 won't have an expansion either so I hope in terms of content it will have way more than 2018 (even more than 2017 hopefully)

2017 was a year which followed a year with nearly no content (2016).

Are you sure we got no content in 2016?

2016: 3 Legendary Weapons, 2018: 3 Legendary Weapons2016: 1 Legendary Backpack, 2018: 0 Legendary items2016: 3 Episodes with 3 maps, 2018: 3 Episodes with 3 maps

Other additions:2016: 2 new Fractals (one with CM) 2018: 1 new Fractal (no CM)2016: 2 Raid Wings, 2018: 1 Raid Wing

Miscellaneous additions (not comparable):2016: 2 new PVP Maps, revamped Shatterer, Gliding in Central Tyria, 2018: Roller Beetle Mount, Mad King's Raceway, Beetle Races, return of Festival of Four Winds, Secret Lair of the Snowmen

I'm not sure how you call that "no content" in many cases the amount of content we got in 2016 was similar, or greater than what we got in 2018, even though the living world restarted at the latter half of 2016 (July). Which makes the lack of content in 2018 all the more surprising.

I fucking forgot about tue first half of se3. Dear god even 2016 had more content.

Also didnt we get both the pvp and the fractal backpacks in 2016?

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:I don't feel like I've gotten less content this year. This year has given me more content that I'm interested in.

Anet was undergoing a restructuring of their internal teams and methods of communication and work during 2016. Content for 2017 might had been developed from 2016 but so did content for 2018 was developed during 2017.

In one place, comparison between 2016, 2017 and 2018:

2016: 3 Legendary Weapons, 2017: 5 Legendary Weapons, 2018: 3 Legendary Weapons2016: 1 Legendary Backpack, 2017: 1 Legendary Armor (2 if you count PVP one), 1 Legendary Backpack, 1 Legendary Accessory, 2018: 0 Legendary items2016: 3 Episodes with 3 maps, 2017: 4 Episodes with 4 maps, 2018: 3 Episodes with 3 maps

Other additions:2016: 2 new Fractals (one with CM), 2017: 2 new Fractal (one with CM), 1 reworked Fractal 2018: 1 new Fractal (no CM)2016: 2 Raid Wings, 2017: 2 Raid Wings, 2018: 1 Raid Wing

Miscellaneous additions (not comparable):2016: 2 new PVP Maps, revamped Shatterer, Gliding in Central Tyria, 2017: Ammunition mechanic, Competitive Feature Pack (WVW Skirmish Update, Structured PVP Updates), 2018: Roller Beetle Mount, Mad King's Raceway, Beetle Races, return of Festival of Four Winds, Secret Lair of the Snowmen

Edit: worth noting that one of the legendary weapons we got in 2016 was a "complete" one with story and "journey" (Chuka and Champawat) which makes 2016 better than 2018 in terms of Legendary Weapons.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:I don't feel like I've gotten less content this year. This year has given me more content that I'm interested in.

In one place, comparison between 2016, 2017 and 2018:

2016: 3 Legendary Weapons, 2017: 5 Legendary Weapons, 2018: 3 Legendary Weapons2016: 1 Legendary Backpack, 2017: 1 Legendary Armor (2 if you count PVP one), 1 Legendary Backpack, 1 Legendary Accessory, 2018: 0 Legendary items2016: 3 Episodes with 3 maps, 2017: 4 Episodes with 4 maps, 2018: 3 Episodes with 3 maps

Other additions:2016: 2 new Fractals (one with CM), 2017: 2 new Fractal (one with CM), 1 reworked Fractal 2018: 1 new Fractal (no CM)2016: 2 Raid Wings, 2017: 2 Raid Wings, 2018: 1 Raid Wing

Miscellaneous additions (not comparable):2016: 2 new PVP Maps, revamped Shatterer, Gliding in Central Tyria, 2017: Ammunition mechanic, Competitive Feature Pack (WVW Skirmish Update, Structured PVP Updates), 2018: Roller Beetle Mount, Mad King's Raceway, Beetle Races, return of Festival of Four Winds, Secret Lair of the Snowmen

Edit: worth noting that one of the legendary weapons we got in 2016 was a "complete" one with story and "journey" (Chuka and Champawat) which makes 2016 better than 2018 in terms of Legendary Weapons.

Corrections: 2016: 2 new fractals (1 with cm) 3 fractal reworks.

2017: 2 new fractals (1 with cm) 3 fractal reworks.

@"zealex.9410" said:Corrections: 2016: 2 new fractals (1 with cm) 3 fractal reworks.

I wasn't sure when the other fractals were revamped that's why I didn't include them. I went with what's written here:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ReleaseSo revamps big enough to count as "news" on the release page, which means only the Thaumanova revamp. I guess the other fractal reworks weren't big enough for them to appear on the release page. That all makes 2018 appear even worse compared to both 2017 AND 2016. Let's hope they reverse that downward trend in 2019 and give us more diverse content.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:Corrections: 2016: 2 new fractals (1 with cm) 3 fractal reworks.

I wasn't sure when the other fractals were revamped that's why I didn't include them. I went with what's written here:
So revamps big enough to count as "news" on the release page, which means only the Thaumanova revamp. I guess the other fractal reworks weren't big enough for them to appear on the release page. That all makes 2018 appear even worse compared to both 2017 AND 2016. Let's hope they reverse that downward trend in 2019 and give us more diverse content.

Depends what u consider a rework really. 2016 had cliffside, snowblind and swampland while 2017 had taumanova, molten duo and mai trin.

Seems merging the fractal and raid teams has paid off wonderfully.

Eso since has had its next expansion datamined. The devs have come out and announced the date for the the reveal as well as their broad content plan for 2019.

That includes said expansion as well as 3 dlcs. Any chance we could get some content plan for gw2.

That being said from what i understand ESO expansions or chapters as they call them are more like glorified dlcs

Every holiday event is the same recycled content over and over, more than 6 years since release and the story is still stale. How to keep the game from extinction? Make cosmetics and skins to appease the audience, and milk people by releasing crap in gem store.

No wonder most original people who were at ANet left the company, the game should have had the potential to be better, but its been watered down to please people’s fantasy in fashion. All hail the pixels.

Archived