Fair? Blinding Shadow vs Basilisk Venom

Xenji.4907

@Safandula.8723 said:

@"Jumpel.3972" said:Well, a good way to "adjust" Binding Shadow would be to add a 2s reveal when casting so people will always see the tell of this skill.

and it would be unable to be used to setup a DJ.i would prefer to just make the visual part on the opponents body visible when stealthed, i think there might be technical issues to make the smoke visible from the deadeye to the target while the deadeye is stealthed, but i guess they can make the animation on the opponents body visible.

ofc it would be possible to set up dj, u got ur elite skill. with 2 charges. if u want to make 15k hits, at least put some ressources into it

i want to and do more than 15k hits. and no using my elite skill for that is certainly not a good use.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jumpel.3972 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:and it would be unable to be used to setup a DJ.

With only 2sec of reveal you will be able to launch a DJ during the stun if you restealth or right after the enemy stunbreak/dodge to punish him

why use it then to begin with? is it worth the slot then? or differently would you play with binding shadows and a rifle after such a change?like many suggestions on no matter what profession here mostly people just seem to see 'with X change it would be fine while fighting against it' but thats just half the players in the encounter.the only thing you need is to make the animation or part of it visible, not the deadeye. if it cannot be made visible because of that directed smoke part to it, then remove that part and just show that animation on the opponents body, there you have your tell. you dont need to further limit the options to use that skill.

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:You have to sacrifice a whole traitline and Steal to get Binding Shadow. That cost is a lot. If I can use either one in my Core build, then it's a sound concern. The fact that I have to give up a traitline plus Steal makes Binding Shadow not worth it. Unless of course you're already playing DE, which means Binding Shadow supersedes BV, just like the Elite Spec traitline supersedes a Core.

BV is not a good Elite to begin with anyway, most of the venoms aren't good.

The first problem with the Venom is not the cooldown, but the fact that you cannot stack them together. I should be able to stack a damaging venom with a non-dmg venom, for instance, Basilisk + Spider or Ice Drake + Skale.

Second, Venoms should have a passive effect. Taking up a skill slot and doing nothing makes them useless. It would be better if I gain a Poison Aura when I have Spider Venom equip. Anyone who touch me gets poison. I mean Venom Aura is already baseline and this should be the effect in addition to venom share. If an ally touch me, they get venom on their weapons. If an enemy touch me, they get condition.

Or Venom application to my weapons should be automatic. So every 30s, Spider Venom is applied to my weapon whether I used up the stacks or not. Activating the skill would instead allow me to throw a vial of venom for an AoE condition effect. Meaning, throwing a Spider Venom will create a poison cloud.

But this is off topic so I digress.

To your first point. Yes you get rid of steal and DD, but it's not like mark and DE are garbage by comparison. IMHO. Agreed on your other points though.

I didn't say it's garbage. I didn't even use any word synonymous to garbage. So I'm not sure where you got that from.

DE is great if you're playing as ranged, but as melee it is very clunky due to the fact that DE Mark has a casting time and it's not a gap closer. The loss of Steal makes melee combat really annoying. Yes, the malicious stealth attacks is a compensation, but it doesn't make it less clunky. This is why I said, it's not worthy losing Steal. It would be nice if DE Mark is only applied when you Steal, but totally replacing it I believe is a bad design.

Binding Shadow can actually be stopped. And it requires line of sight. If the player recognizes the animation on the de- they can outright avoid it with a dodge, line of sight, or aegis. As it stands theres no other tell which is actually a problem. The opponent should have a clear indication that hes about to go down so he has a chance. It does not need to be for the full duration. But a quick animation of a gust of shadow magic swarming the target at the last second should be enough.

Basilisk venom is completely unblockable, does not get expended if the target dodges, and can be used at all ranges as long as you deal power damage. It even works with DE mark/mug combo. Previously it was utterly useless. Now its one of the thiefs strongest utilities. As its one of two options a thief has to break through a targets defense. The other being S/d which is not a popular weapon set for some pretty good reasons.

The basilisk venom also has venom share, which is a critical property in PvP and PvE. A roaming thief can actually dive in, pop basilisk venom, and spontaneously give his group a huge advantage in a single second. More so if they went aupport build with leeching venoms.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:You have to sacrifice a whole traitline and Steal to get Binding Shadow. That cost is a lot. If I can use either one in my Core build, then it's a sound concern. The fact that I have to give up a traitline plus Steal makes Binding Shadow not worth it. Unless of course you're already playing DE, which means Binding Shadow supersedes BV, just like the Elite Spec traitline supersedes a Core.

The first problem with the Venom is not the cooldown, but the fact that you cannot stack them together. I should be able to stack a damaging venom with a non-dmg venom, for instance, Basilisk + Spider or Ice Drake + Skale.

Second, Venoms should have a passive effect. Taking up a skill slot and doing nothing makes them useless. It would be better if I gain a Poison Aura when I have Spider Venom equip. Anyone who touch me gets poison. I mean Venom Aura is already baseline and this should be the effect in addition to venom share. If an ally touch me, they get venom on their weapons. If an enemy touch me, they get condition.

Or Venom application to my weapons should be automatic. So every 30s, Spider Venom is applied to my weapon whether I used up the stacks or not. Activating the skill would instead allow me to throw a vial of venom for an AoE condition effect. Meaning, throwing a Spider Venom will create a poison cloud.

To your first point. Yes you get rid of steal and DD, but it's not like mark and DE are garbage by comparison. IMHO. Agreed on your other points though.

I didn't say it's garbage. I didn't even use any word synonymous to garbage. So I'm not sure where you got that from.

DE is great if you're playing as ranged, but as melee it is very clunky due to the fact that DE Mark has a casting time and it's not a gap closer. The loss of Steal makes melee combat really annoying. Yes, the malicious stealth attacks is a compensation, but it doesn't make it less clunky. This is why I said, it's not worthy losing Steal. It would be nice if DE Mark is only applied when you Steal, but totally replacing it I believe is a bad design.

Well you said it was a big cost which usually if something is a big cost/loss its garbage to me. But it really isn't. DE Mark having a cast time is a little clunky but S/P is still good with it regardless. Among other melee weapon sets.

@omgdracula.6345 said:

Well you said it was a big cost which usually if something is a big cost/loss its garbage to me. But it really isn't. DE Mark having a cast time is a little clunky but S/P is still good with it regardless. Among other melee weapon sets.

Nah, the "cost/loss" is called a trade-off. I never think it's garbage since I admit it works well with ranged combat. The DE Mark, the malice, new stolen items, etc. are all good. Replacing Steal is what's bad.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:Binding Shadow can actually be stopped. And it requires line of sight. If the player recognizes the animation on the de- they can outright avoid it with a dodge, line of sight, or aegis. As it stands theres no other tell which is actually a problem. The opponent should have a clear indication that hes about to go down so he has a chance. It does not need to be for the full duration. But a quick animation of a gust of shadow magic swarming the target at the last second should be enough.

Basilisk venom is completely unblockable, does not get expended if the target dodges, and can be used at all ranges as long as you deal power damage. It even works with DE mark/mug combo. Previously it was utterly useless. Now its one of the thiefs strongest utilities. As its one of two options a thief has to break through a targets defense. The other being S/d which is not a popular weapon set for some pretty good reasons.

The basilisk venom also has venom share, which is a critical property in PvP and PvE. A roaming thief can actually dive in, pop basilisk venom, and spontaneously give his group a huge advantage in a single second. More so if they went aupport build with leeching venoms.

Ehm, are we playing the same game?

@syszery.1592 said:

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:Binding Shadow can actually be stopped. And it requires line of sight. If the player recognizes the animation on the de- they can outright avoid it with a dodge, line of sight, or aegis. As it stands theres no other tell which is actually a problem. The opponent should have a clear indication that hes about to go down so he has a chance. It does not need to be for the full duration. But a quick animation of a gust of shadow magic swarming the target at the last second should be enough.

Basilisk venom is completely unblockable, does not get expended if the target dodges, and can be used at all ranges as long as you deal power damage. It even works with DE mark/mug combo. Previously it was utterly useless. Now its one of the thiefs strongest utilities. As its one of two options a thief has to break through a targets defense.
The other being S/d which is not a popular weapon set for some pretty good reasons.

Not sure if you mean S/D is not a good set for breaking through targets defenses or if you're saying S/D is actually a popular set. On a side note to the first quote, BV works off of Marks stolen item also, which is how I normally pop people out who are setting up something from stealth, which opens up another option on how you want to roll out whatever play BV is being used for.

@syszery.1592 said:

Basilisk venom is completely unblockable, does not get expended if the target dodges, and can be used at all ranges as long as you deal power damage. It even works with DE mark/mug combo. Previously it was utterly useless. Now its one of the thiefs strongest utilities. As its one of two options a thief has to break through a targets defense.
The other being S/d which is not a popular weapon set for some pretty good reasons.

It's accurate. S/D is popular for Core, not for DE. You just can't replace the synergy of DA/Acr/Trick when using S/D. You just can't.

@"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:Binding Shadow can actually be stopped. And it requires line of sight. If the player recognizes the animation on the de- they can outright avoid it with a dodge, line of sight, or aegis. As it stands theres no other tell which is actually a problem. The opponent should have a clear indication that hes about to go down so he has a chance. It does not need to be for the full duration. But a quick animation of a gust of shadow magic swarming the target at the last second should be enough.

It's accurate. S/D is popular for Core, not for DE. You just can't replace the synergy of DA/Acr/Trick when using S/D. You just can't.

I know; S/D is meta in sPvP and very common in WvW. I was just wondering if the other guy who claimed it "is not a popular weapon set for some pretty good reasons" is actually serious -- but maybe he meant PvE...

Edit: Ok, I got your point. You mean he is referring to S/D as weapons set for Deadeyes? Yes, then he is right although it can be situationally good... But it is really uncommon :dizzy:

@"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:Binding Shadow can actually be stopped. And it requires line of sight. If the player recognizes the animation on the de- they can outright avoid it with a dodge, line of sight, or aegis. As it stands theres no other tell which is actually a problem. The opponent should have a clear indication that hes about to go down so he has a chance. It does not need to be for the full duration. But a quick animation of a gust of shadow magic swarming the target at the last second should be enough.

the problem with this skill is when you use it from stealth, it has 0 counterplay if you can't see the animation and deadeyes usually combine that + mark with DJ so it's a really poweful combo that literally requires 0 brain cells to execute, just go in stealth and nobody will know.

another solution, make it only available when you are out of stealth, because it seems some people are really sensitive when one says "reveal".

@Elxdark.9702 said:

the problem with this skill is when you use it from stealth,
it has 0 counterplay
if you can't see the animation and deadeyes usually combine that + mark with DJ so it's a really poweful combo that literally requires 0 brain cells to execute, just go in stealth and nobody will know.

another solution, make it only available when you are out of stealth, because it seems some people are really sensitive when one says "reveal".

Can you please at least read the post you are quoting? OP mentioned some ways to counter it. Also Vincent III.1286 mentioned some. I named some...

Here's another one: Play Mirage and if you want an easy match up against Deadeye, trait Evasive Mirror and Master of Manipulations <3

How many counters do you need?

@syszery.1592 said:

it has 0 counterplay
if you can't see the animation and deadeyes usually combine that + mark with DJ so it's a really poweful combo that literally requires 0 brain cells to execute, just go in stealth and nobody will know.

Can you please at least read the post you are quoting? OP mentioned some ways to counter it. Also Vincent III.1286 mentioned some. I named some...

Here's another one: Play Mirage and if you want an easy match up against Deadeye, trait Evasive Mirror and Master of Manipulations <3

as always, ppl defending op classes, put them in comparission with other op classes ^^ but if it happens(sometimes it does), that de has some braincells, he will stow and dodge, and will not kill themselfes.again ur defending high burst combo with 0,3 s of tell. plz be legit

@syszery.1592 said:

it has 0 counterplay

you actually have less than 10 iq lolread it again until you realize why did I quote it, maybe you will never figure out.

@"Elxdark.9702" said:another solution, make it only available when you are out of stealth, because it seems some people are really sensitive when one says "reveal".its not much a problem with reveal as such but more with the reasoning. we both agree that the skill is too powerfull to be invisble while cast from stealth. however the proposed solution is not 'make it visible', but make it not unusable while stealthed/revealing. why is a visible animation not enough to ask for, when the issue seems to be that the animation is hidden, why do you further have to interfere on the deadeyes gameplay part of that situation?

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"Elxdark.9702" said:another solution, make it only available when you are out of stealth, because it seems some people are really sensitive when one says "reveal".its not much a problem with reveal as such but more with the reasoning. we both agree that the skill is too powerfull to be invisble while cast from stealth. however the proposed solution is not 'make it visible', but make it not unusable while stealthed/revealing. why is a visible animation not enough to ask for, when the issue seems to be that the animation is hidden, why do you further have to interfere on the
deadeyes gameplay
part of that situation?

Deadeyes gameplay you mean being in stealth 90% of the time? well yeah I don't care if I have to interfere as long as the spec becomes healthier because right now it isn't.Also I don't think they know or can make what you want so that's why I recommend to either do the reveal or simply make it only available out of stealth.

@syszery.1592 said:

I know; S/D is meta in sPvP and very common in WvW. I was just wondering if the other guy who claimed it "is not a popular weapon set for some pretty good reasons" is actually serious -- but maybe he meant PvE...

Edit: Ok, I got your point. You mean he is referring to S/D as weapons set for Deadeyes? Yes, then he is right although it can be situationally good... But it is really uncommon :dizzy:

I can't think of a situation where DE S/D is situationally better than Core S/D. Even in PvE, Core S/D is a far superior build due to the recent changes. The changes to Swindler is what made DA and Trick the BiS traitlines with Acro. If you replace one of these traitlines, you're purposely gimping yourself. Now, why would you want to do that?

@Elxdark.9702 said:

the problem with this skill is when you use it from stealth, it has 0 counterplay if you can't see the animation

Not true. Binding shadow deals damage which will automatically reveals the Thief. Even if you didn't see the animation, the reveal gives you a window for counter play.

and deadeyes usually combine that + mark with DJ so it's a really poweful combo that literally requires 0 brain cells to execute, just go in stealth and nobody will know.

Have you ever pulled off this said "really powerful" combo? I doubt it. If you have, you won't say that it "literally requires 0 brain cells".

It requires serious planning and timing to execute the perfect shot. Saying that it requires 0 brain cells sounds like you can just randomly swing a hammer and you'll eventually build yourself a house. lol.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't misrepresent and don't be dishonest.

I can tell that you have not played a Thief. Do you even realize that a Thief can stealth, wait 3s for stealth to be over, cast Binding, then dodge to stealth again? You will only see that Thief in a split second just to cast Binding then poof, they're gone again.

Besides, why are you egging on Binding when DJ is the one killing you? The new iteration of DJ was toxic when it was unblockable and it is still toxic even when it is blockable. It just deals so much damage for a ranged skill. The original DJ was better and the only problem with it was the kneel requirement.

It would make more sense to me to change the animation from a beam type thing to something that centres around the player being attacked. Something like the scarecrow finisher would be good, where the ravens show up regardless of whether the stomping player is stealthed or not. This would be a good change to magnet pull on engi as well.

That way the utility retains it's use but it still gives adequate warning, and then the guessing game becomes do you line up the DJ to hit with the knockdown or for the end of the dodge that you just forced with binding shadow.

@"Elxdark.9702" said:lmao why do i waste my time with these people, it's useless.

"It requires serious planning and timing to execute the perfect shot" HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHH omg im dying, good rp sir that got me.freaking rpers man, you guys are too good.

How about you accept that all you write here is first and foremost your personal opinion. If you think something is (too) easy to play, hard to play, over powered, boring or dumb that doesn't mean that everyone shares this view. Hell it doesn't even mean that it is true at all. It is just your personal opinion. Nothing more.

I can't think of a situation where DE S/D is situationally better than Core S/D. Even in PvE, Core S/D is a far superior build due to the recent changes. The changes to Swindler is what made DA and Trick the BiS traitlines with Acro. If you replace one of these traitlines, you're purposely gimping yourself. Now, why would you want to do that?

Ah, maybe I formulated my /Edit poorly: I assumed you want to play Deadeye, your primary weapon is Rifle and you are looking for a suitable offhand. Overall D/P probably does best but e.g. against a Firebrand bunker sometimes S/D is useful because of the unblockables (in particular after the DJ nerf). But I absolutely agree that if you want to play S/D, the meta build is the way to go.

@Elxdark.9702 said:

@Elxdark.9702 said:another solution, make it only available when you are out of stealth, because it seems some people are really sensitive when one says "reveal".its not much a problem with reveal as such but more with the reasoning. we both agree that the skill is too powerfull to be invisble while cast from stealth. however the proposed solution is not 'make it visible', but make it not unusable while stealthed/revealing. why is a visible animation not enough to ask for, when the issue seems to be that the animation is hidden, why do you further have to interfere on the
deadeyes gameplay
part of that situation?

Deadeyes gameplay
you mean being in stealth 90% of the time? well yeah I don't care if I have to interfere as long as the spec becomes healthier because right now it isn't.Also I don't think they know or can make what you want so that's why I recommend to either do the reveal or simply make it only available out of stealth.

exactly that is the problem: you dont care for the deadeye, only for its opponent. but the opponent is still only one half of the encounter. making suggestions that only keep in mind the opponent is the reason why most suggestion on this forum for any class are terribly bad.

and again assuming incompetence on anets part.. :3

@"Elxdark.9702" said:lmao why do i waste my time with these people, it's useless.

"It requires serious planning and timing to execute the perfect shot" HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHH omg im dying, good rp sir that got me.freaking rpers man, you guys are too good.

The suggestion "make it only available when you are out of stealth" is made by someone who uses 0 brain cells. Because ever since release, Thief has been chaining CnD, which should have given you a clue that activating skills out stealth will not do anything significant and that your "brilliant" idea is anything but.

And yes, please do us all a favor, don't bother wasting your time. A discussion is useless if you're only going to be dishonest.

Archived