Changes to Mussels and Jungle Plants nods.

phs.6089

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:When? When we will see proper drops of pearls and lilies?

They've said they are happy with the drop rates of pearls & lilies.

They have said there won't be any skill to dis-mouth mid-air and Arah armor would be available from Arah only etc

There are reasons why they set up the drop rates a certain way and those reasons haven't changed. In contrast, the reasons for making Arah armor exclusive were superseded by the need to offer reward tracks, but you'll notice that there aren't reward tracks to unlock Fractal or Raid skins. And they didn't offer a simple dismount in air, they created a new skill with mechanics that prevent swapping back & forth easily.

They aren't just going to arbitrarily change the drop rates of pearls and lilies because someone said they should do it. At least, take the time to formulate some sort of argument as to why it's worth their time.

It simple, drop rates are not sufficient or pearls won't be 5 gold each.

It's simple: that is not a game problem. That's your personal preference.

There isn't any other crafting material that can be farmed hitting this rarity.Actually, quite a few are like that. Giant's Eyes and Lodestones have tiny drop rates (they also have other sources.)

They increased the drop rate of rubies, that were from first map on LW3, designed as whole HoT to be grindy.They increased the rate to be more consistent with the other LS3 maps.

Why keep those low rate drops for pearls and lilies?Because it's good for the game to have some items that have high value. People like getting rare drops. If all such drops are removed, people lose interest.

People used to head into Southsun cove to farm passion flowers (and passion fruit). But then they added other sources, the prices dropped, and well, it's not worth people's time any longer.

Why keep it that way?The question is: why should ANet spend the time|people to analyze, evaluate, decide, and implement a change.

Essentially, your argument remains: because you don't like it. What ANet evaluates would be: does it benefit the game and the game's community enough to make it worth the cost to make the change?

By that same degree of Sinicism you offer...why should ANET spend time and resource to analyse anything .. why now after all this time up the rates of Blood rubies, why did they implement more ways to obtain Giant Eyes or why did they decide after all this time Istan was too good a farm for players.. they do it because they can, and always should to ensure things are working as intended.. to answer that posters question with your question is just being pig headed for pig headed sake Ilc… the drop rate of lilies and pearls is silly bad, but yes it is done for a reason.. that does not stop players asking and it does not mean ANET should just brush it under the carpet with the respect you seem to think it deserves.A simple.. ANET have looked into it and believed that was the correct drop rate...but I guess that was too easy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Kanok.3027 said:

@Drecien.4508 said:Wrong. Fresh water pearls. At least 4 most I got was 6 one week.

There is no JP that awards you Freshwater Pearls, which is what you mentioned. Abbadon's Ascent gives Orrian Pearls, which is different.

Open world chests and strongboxes in HoT have a chance of dropping them. I guess JP chests also has a chance. If you have enough characters it is basically the same as what people do for Silver Doubloons.

You didn't say anything about basic mats. You asked for crafting materials.

However, my point is that they're pricey because they're supposed to be pricey. Just like with the holding runes. If we want a legitimate economy, without runaway inflation or deflation, there has to be both cheap and expensive items. Just basic laws of economics.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"thehipone.6812" said:Drop rates are fine. They drop at the same rates as flax blossoms. It is market forces that have set the prices higher. Both pearls and lilies are easy to farm and result in competitive gold per hour if you do it right. Why do people on forums complain about garbage loot and then also want everything to drop in price?

Lol they absolutely do not... and never had... at least try to be serious

Your comment is unclear - Are you referring to drop rates? Yes, pearls drop at the same approximately 1% rate as Flax Blossoms. I posted data for over 2000 strikes on flax node right here on the forums - about 1% chance with no buffs. I have tons of gathering data (posted months ago) on my personal wiki page, here are the numbers for Mussels - again well over 1000 strikes and drop rate is about 1% with no buffs.

I feel like the map designers are screaming "gather these mussel nodes you morons" when they show up in virtually every map. Complaints about pearl prices are as old as HoT itself, yet there are nodes are in every HoT map, 4 of 5 PoF maps, and most of the living story maps.

@phs.6089 said:

@thehipone.6812 said:Drop rates are fine. They drop at the same rates as flax blossoms. It is market forces that have set the prices higher. Both pearls and lilies are easy to farm and result in competitive gold per hour if you do it right. Why do people on forums complain about garbage loot and then also want everything to drop in price?

Are they? really? 2 weeks of run vb, ab, bsf, sandswept on 2 characters 2 pearls?Don't care of flax bossom, no one does, who on earth need Vigilant starts I dunno

There's your problem, you've hit your diminishing returns limit...don't keep trying for them every day...take breaks in between gathering, you're chances will increase, or your just super unlucky, but I've found if I take 2, 3, 4 or 5 days off from harvesting certain items the drop rate of rarer items will slightly increase. Of course this is just one players experience and YMMV, so either take this with a grain of salt or ignore it completely.

I kind of skipped to the end of the thread, but the first question I asked upon reading the OP was:

Why is the OP comparing a bind-on-account currency with one that is purchasable from the TP? The issue, if you can call it that, with Blood Rubies was the amount of days you needed to get the quantity required because of the low drop rate. The only thing limiting your acquisition of pearls et al is your wallet or willingness to farm.

Apples v. Oranges.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Drecien.4508" said:Wrong. Fresh water pearls. At least 4 most I got was 6 one week.

There is no JP that awards you Freshwater Pearls, which is what you mentioned. Abbadon's Ascent gives Orrian Pearls, which is different.

Open world chests and strongboxes in HoT have a chance of dropping them. I guess JP chests also has a chance. If you have enough characters it is basically the same as what people do for Silver Doubloons.

Sorry, not JP, "mini dungeon" heres the deets https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sanctum_of_Nabkha_(mini-dungeon)

By that same degree of Sinicism you offer...why should ANET spend time and resource to analyse anything .. why now after all this time up the rates of Blood rubies, why did they implement more ways to obtain Giant Eyes or why did they decide after all this time Istan was too good a farm for players.. they do it because they can, and always should to ensure things are working as intended.. to answer that posters question with your question is just being pig headed for pig headed sake Ilc… the drop rate of lilies and pearls is silly bad, but yes it is done for a reason.. that does not stop players asking and it does not mean ANET should just brush it under the carpet with the respect you seem to think it deserves.A simple.. ANET have looked into it and believed that was the correct drop rate...but I guess that was too easy.

People find drop rates low because they want it NOW NOT LATER which is fairly standard in games.also Illconceived is almost the polar opposite of cynical

@Drecien.4508 said:

@Drecien.4508 said:Wrong. Fresh water pearls. At least 4 most I got was 6 one week.

Sorry, not JP, "mini dungeon" heres the deets
)

Also, these 'deets': https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jumping_puzzle (Scroll down to Crystal Desert.)

@thehipone.6812 said:

@thehipone.6812 said:Drop rates are fine. They drop at the same rates as flax blossoms. It is market forces that have set the prices higher. Both pearls and lilies are easy to farm and result in competitive gold per hour if you do it right. Why do people on forums complain about garbage loot and then also want everything to drop in price?

Your comment is unclear - Are you referring to drop rates? Yes, pearls drop at the same approximately 1% rate as Flax Blossoms.
for over 2000 strikes on flax node right here on the forums - about 1% chance with no buffs. I have tons of gathering data (posted months ago) on my personal wiki page, here are the numbers for
- again well over 1000 strikes and drop rate is about 1% with no buffs.

I feel like the map designers are screaming "gather these mussel nodes you morons" when they show up in virtually every map. Complaints about pearl prices are as old as HoT itself, yet there are nodes are in every HoT map, 4 of 5 PoF maps, and most of the living story maps.Well, that's psychology in part. When people see a flax node, they farm it, because flax is useful. So is flax fiber (at 10% drop rate). Blossoms are just an extra here. On the other hand, when people see mussels node, they skip it, because they sure as kitten don't need more mussels.

The number of people willing to farm nodes for a 1% drop is much, much lower than those farming nodes for base, guaranteed mats. Because farming nodes and getting exactly nothing for your effort 99% of the time is very discouraging.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Your comment is unclear - Are you referring to drop rates? Yes, pearls drop at the same approximately 1% rate as Flax Blossoms.
for over 2000 strikes on flax node right here on the forums - about 1% chance with no buffs. I have tons of gathering data (posted months ago) on my personal wiki page, here are the numbers for

I feel like the map designers are screaming "gather these mussel nodes you morons" when they show up in virtually every map. Complaints about pearl prices are as old as HoT itself, yet there are nodes are in every HoT map, 4 of 5 PoF maps, and most of the living story maps.Well, that's psychology in part. When people see a flax node, they farm it, because flax is useful. So is flax fiber (at 10% drop rate). Blossoms are just an extra here. On the other hand, when people see mussels node, they skip it, because they sure as kitten don't need more mussels.

The number of people willing to farm nodes for a 1% drop is much, much lower than those farming nodes for base, guaranteed mats. Because farming nodes and getting exactly nothing for your effort 99% of the time is very discouraging.

TBH that might well be true.. though I have a few toons just planted at VB flax farm.. 8 nodes. I also farm the mussels nearby at the entrance WP.. so just as many mussels farmed each time I am there or care to farm the flax... the disparity though in my stocks of both pearls and blossoms is vastly different... I have upwards of 500 blossoms and around 25 pearls, even though I tend to farm as many of one as the other. The only difference is that flax does appear sporadically on other maps more so than mussels per say.. but still that disparity cannot be ignored, so either I am radically unlucky with pearls in comparison to blossoms, or the two don't really correlate too well in terms of their respective drops.Flax is a little more useful, though the blossoms and fibre less so.. mussels aside from food are not that useful that is true but pearls have a little more use and hence a larger value than blossoms, which also stems from the fact they are a little easier to come by (for me a least) and less useful when they enter the system

@Astralporing.1957 said:

I agree that there is a big psychology part to it, but here is the funny part about groupthink and human psychology as applied to this game/forum/reddit and random occurrences: flax is considered an "awesome farm" and people will grind it out on multiple characters at Itzel, etc. Mussels are considered "terrible" and "not worth it to gather". The average value of a flax node (1.5 seeds, 0.01blossom and 0.09 flax fiber by my research) is about 3.99 silver. Mussels (1.5 mussel, 0.01 freshwater pearl, 0.09 mother of pearl) are worth 8.3 silver on average. So the "terrible" node is worth over 2x the "awesome farm" node on average.

By always gathering flax and skipping mussels players are essentially saying that they are willing to give up half of the average income just to avoid RNG. Certainly a valid approach over the short term, but long term detrimental. It is also why I added the "gather these mussel nodes you morons" comment above - I don't think the prevalence of mussel nodes is intended for focused farmers to tunnel vision mussel nodes, but rather as a supplemental income to people roaming around the maps and a way to increase supply of the pearls. But if everyone skips (unwisely IMO), then there isn't an effect. In essence, accommodations have been made to increase supply of pearls but the player base is not taking advantage of it, even though it is profitable.

@thehipone.6812 said:

I agree that there is a big psychology part to it, but here is the funny part about groupthink and human psychology as applied to this game/forum/reddit and random occurrences: flax is considered an "awesome farm" and people will grind it out on multiple characters at Itzel, etc. Mussels are considered "terrible" and "not worth it to gather". The average value of a flax node (1.5 seeds, 0.01blossom and 0.09 flax fiber by my research) is about 3.99 silver. Mussels (1.5 mussel, 0.01 freshwater pearl, 0.09 mother of pearl) are worth 8.3 silver on average. So the "terrible" node is worth over 2x the "awesome farm" node on average.

By always gathering flax and skipping mussels players are essentially saying that they are willing to give up half of the average income just to avoid RNG. Certainly a valid approach over the short term, but long term detrimental. It is also why I added the "gather these mussel nodes you morons" comment above - I don't think the prevalence of mussel nodes is intended for focused farmers to tunnel vision mussel nodes, but rather as a supplemental income to people roaming around the maps and a way to increase supply of the pearls. But if everyone skips (unwisely IMO), then there isn't an effect. In essence, accommodations have been made to increase supply of pearls but the player base is not taking advantage of it, even though it is profitable.

People farm flax because there are flax patches. Lets have 3 mussel and 3 lilies patches somewhere on maps with 10 nodes on each and see how people are farming those.But running around a map to hit 3-5 nods, not everyone gonna have the nerves

You missed the point... the flax farm in VB has 8 nodes but there are easily more mussel nodes to farm just by main WP leading to frog village... I farm both areas most days ... the disparity in results however is pretty noticeable .. at least in my materials bank ... aroun 500 blossoms to 25 pearls currently... I guess I am just really unlucky :)

@"thehipone.6812" said:I agree that there is a big psychology part to it, but here is the funny part about groupthink and human psychology as applied to this game/forum/reddit and random occurrences: flax is considered an "awesome farm" and people will grind it out on multiple characters at Itzel, etc. Mussels are considered "terrible" and "not worth it to gather". The average value of a flax node (1.5 seeds, 0.01blossom and 0.09 flax fiber by my research) is about 3.99 silver. Mussels (1.5 mussel, 0.01 freshwater pearl, 0.09 mother of pearl) are worth 8.3 silver on average. So the "terrible" node is worth over 2x the "awesome farm" node on average.

But that's only on average. For each single node, most players are generally going to ignore the very rare drop, because it's not likely to happen this time. For mussels, practically all of that value lies in the pearls - the base drops are worthless. So, if you're not massfarming them, it's not a good income source, but a lottery. A lottery in which 99% of the time you're going to be disappointed.

By always gathering flax and skipping mussels players are essentially saying that they are willing to give up half of the average income just to avoid RNG. Certainly a valid approach over the short term, but long term detrimental. It is also why I added the "gather these mussel nodes you morons" comment above - I don't think the prevalence of mussel nodes is intended for focused farmers to tunnel vision mussel nodes, but rather as a supplemental income to people roaming around the maps and a way to increase supply of the pearls. But if everyone skips (unwisely IMO), then there isn't an effect.But most people will skip, because only one per 100 people doing it that way are going to profit. In order for people to get interested, the base, dependable profit needs to increase.

In essence, accommodations have been made to increase supply of pearls but the player base is not taking advantage of it, even though it is profitable.Because it is profitable only on average. On case to case basis it is generally not. It's not dependable enough.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"thehipone.6812" said:I agree that there is a big psychology part to it, but here is the funny part about groupthink and human psychology as applied to this game/forum/reddit and random occurrences: flax is considered an "awesome farm" and people will grind it out on multiple characters at Itzel, etc. Mussels are considered "terrible" and "not worth it to gather". The average value of a flax node (1.5 seeds, 0.01blossom and 0.09 flax fiber by my research) is about 3.99 silver. Mussels (1.5 mussel, 0.01 freshwater pearl, 0.09 mother of pearl) are worth 8.3 silver on average. So the "terrible" node is worth over 2x the "awesome farm" node on average.

But that's only on average. For each single node, most players are generally going to ignore the very rare drop, because it's not likely to happen
this time
. For mussels, practically all of that value lies in the pearls - the base drops are worthless. So, if you're not massfarming them, it's not a good income source, but a lottery. A lottery in which 99% of the time you're going to be disappointed.

By always gathering flax and skipping mussels players are essentially saying that they are willing to give up half of the average income just to avoid RNG. Certainly a valid approach over the short term, but long term detrimental. It is also why I added the "gather these mussel nodes you morons" comment above - I don't think the prevalence of mussel nodes is intended for focused farmers to tunnel vision mussel nodes, but rather as a supplemental income to people roaming around the maps and a way to increase supply of the pearls. But if everyone skips (unwisely IMO), then there isn't an effect.But most people will skip, because only one per 100 people doing it that way are going to profit. In order for people to get interested, the base, dependable profit needs to increase.

In essence, accommodations have been made to increase supply of pearls but the player base is not taking advantage of it, even though it is profitable.Because it is profitable only on average. On case to case basis it is generally not. It's not dependable enough.

Look, if you insist on sub-optimal behavior, be my guest. you certainly aren't the only player out there behaving that way and I (and plenty of others who didn't fail math class) will happily profit off of it. But don't come complaining that things cost too much or are too rare when you aren't taking the drop chances presented to you.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@phs.6089 said:

People farm flax because there are flax patches. Lets have 3 mussel and 3 lilies patches somewhere on maps with 10 nodes on each and see how people are farming those.But running around a map to hit 3-5 nods, not everyone gonna have the nerves

There aren't patches of 10 bunched up but there are def easy routes with 8 or so like blood fen at night where the champ ghosts spawn or vb for mussels and i'm sure others i don't know about.

There are like 5 maximum in BSF.

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:You missed the point... the flax farm in VB has 8 nodes but there are easily more mussel nodes to farm just by main WP leading to frog village... I farm both areas most days ... the disparity in results however is pretty noticeable .. at least in my materials bank ... aroun 500 blossoms to 25 pearls currently... I guess I am just really unlucky :)

With the thresher golem skin and interrupting it mid animation it would take around 2 second per node.

Doing a similar thing with the mussels near shipwrecked wp there were 9 mussel nodes and it took 50s. The node spawn was relatively unlucky. With a luckier spawn that would have been more like 12 nodes. 12 nodes at 56 seconds would be 4.66 seconds per node. The "missing" nodes all happened to be where the pocket raptors were located so the time is also relatively efficient since I didn't have to waste any time killing them or being in combat(and therefor slowing my movement).

It might provide 2x the value(at least right now it does but as recent as 5 days ago it did not) but it also takes 2.33x longer per node.

Which is actually better will depend on how many characters you are using to do this and whether or not you have any source of extra gathering chance.

On the other hand they aren't mutually exclusive so you can always get both and also grab the Strongbox from the "Lethal Vantage". There is also a possible Jungle Plant spawn and 3 possible Large Airship Cargo spawns plus 1 normal ori, 1 rich ori and 1 ancient wood

@thehipone.6812 said:Look, if you insist on sub-optimal behavior, be my guest.

I don't insist on anything. I just point out that it is a normal behaviour, and that it is not going to change. No matter how many nodes Anet is going to add on future maps, they are going to only help heavy farmers, never average players. Not unless the base drops from those nodes become more valuable, or the rare drop chance gets increased.

It's like with precursors. Yes, they can drop from trash mobs, but you don't see players farming mobs specifically in order to drop them. They are just a lucky byproducts of people killing mobs for other reasons (for example, some valuable common drops_). It's just that average players have practically no other reason to harvest mussels they are like yellow mobs here. Yes, they can drop a precursor (pearl), but almost noone is going to go out of their way to kill (harvest) them.

This definitely benefits the farmers. Whether it's a benefit for anyone else however, is not so certain.

And the fun fact is, Anet knows it, because this happened once already (with passiflora). And they had to make a correction, introducing Blooming nodes. Too bad this was so long ago they forgot the lesson.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:You missed the point... the flax farm in VB has 8 nodes but there are easily more mussel nodes to farm just by main WP leading to frog village... I farm both areas most days ... the disparity in results however is pretty noticeable .. at least in my materials bank ... aroun 500 blossoms to 25 pearls currently... I guess I am just really unlucky :)

With the thresher golem skin and interrupting it mid animation it would take around 2 second per node.

Doing a similar thing with the mussels near shipwrecked wp there were 9 mussel nodes and it took 50s. The node spawn was relatively unlucky. With a luckier spawn that would have been more like 12 nodes. 12 nodes at 56 seconds would be 4.66 seconds per node. The "missing" nodes all happened to be where the pocket raptors were located so the time is also relatively efficient since I didn't have to waste any time killing them or being in combat(and therefor slowing my movement).

It might provide 2x the value(at least right now it does but as recent as 5 days ago it did not) but it also takes 2.33x longer per node.

Which is actually better will depend on how many characters you are using to do this and whether or not you have any source of extra gathering chance.

On the other hand they aren't mutually exclusive so you can always get both and also grab the Strongbox from the "Lethal Vantage". There is also a possible Jungle Plant spawn and 3 possible Large Airship Cargo spawns plus 1 normal ori, 1 rich ori and 1 ancient wood

We are not talking about the value of the node or the time taken.. and yes if I wanted to I could quite easily increase node yield using a variety of buffs and mechanics.. I don't I just a have a few that are sat there gathering dust and when I happen to want any flax (which is not so much these days) I simply load a toon there.An unbuffed toon I would normally see a return of about 10-12 flax, when buffed and using my glyph of bounty sickles I can gather 25-30 per toon, but I am always reasonably lucky getting blossoms hence my own personal disparity between them and pearls/lilies ... to me they appear to have much better drop rates, of course some of that comes from the likelihood that I pick flax up every time I hazard upon a node, which is a little more often than mussels, but not being a farmer its not much of a difference as I also do the same with mussels and I do "try" to intentionally farm them more as I have said because if I am honest I value the pearl more for my own benefit not to sell on - NOTE - I tend not to farm to sell or at least I have not needed to as yet.The comparison being made though is blossoms dropping compared to pearls.. and my own personal disparity, a very large one gives me the impression there is a definitive difference... but hey that me, I don't put all that together in bloatsheets, I have my head stuck in spreadsheets most of the day, I don't need a second job. or a third (my current leggy has kinda taken that slot)The value of pearls to blossoms though kind of hints there is a greater supply into the market, which imo comes by its gathering return in comparison to pearls and also the usefulness of them.. we could also throw lilies' into that for some additional comedy.I am not a farmer, but when I am in specific areas I wont run past nodes like mussels, jungle plants or flax.. the only one I tend to avoid is mushies cos honest I have never ever gotten a giant mushy spore from them.. ever! - - so I gave up even trying.Having rare things in the game is fine, making them ridiculously rare, specially when they are only useful for a scribe deco (giant mushroom spore)that is account bound anyway is simply stupid and serves no purpose. I understand why pearls and lilies are rare drops, but improvements would be nice for a few items for sure, but I will get by just fine in their current state.

Archived