How to chat?

So i had a simple question for other players: "What happens if i die and i have no silver coins?" Those seem to be needed every time to resurrect.I got this game few days ago. Since i never seen much chat i was just sure that this game is pretty much dead but i dint want to leave yet.Since it seems somewhat interesting for some time even when playing alone.

So i tried something like G1 G2 G3 etc. Thinking that those mean "Global Chat 1/2/3" it always said that i am not on this channel.

AT this point i realized that mby game is not dead but somehow global chat is not working properly.

So how can i communicate in GW2?

There is no global chat in GW2. Those channels are for guild chat and will only work once you've joined a guild (you can be in up to 5 guilds at once, which is why there are multiple guild chat channels).

The best one to use for asking questions and for general conversations is /map which will be seen by everyone in your current map. (For example if you're in Divinity's Reach everyone in the city will see it.) There's also /say which is for people immediately around you. This can be useful if what you're saying is only relevant to people nearby, for example if you're talking about an event you're doing.

Then there's /party, /squad and /team which are for different kinds of groups you can join, those will also only work when you're in the relevant group.

The game is definitely not dead but chat can be quiet on the low level maps because experienced players won't feel there's much to talk about and new players can be nervous about talking when they don't know the game and are afraid of saying something stupid. But sometimes people will show up to offer help to new players and then things get more talkative, or if it's one of the maps for the daily event completer achievement (although then 1/2 the chat is just people saying "Any events?" over and over.

Finally in answer to your question if you die and don't have enough money for the waypoint fee the cost will scale down to what you have - even if that's nothing. That doesn't happen often (I've only managed to get down to having 0 money twice since starting the game) but it's extremely helpful if it does happen because otherwise you'd be stuck until someone came along to resurrect you.

Hello and welcome to the community!G1/G2/G3 etc. are guild chat channels. You can be a member of up to 5 guilds at a time and each one has its own channel for chat.

There is no global chat, the most wide reaching chat you can use is /m which is map chat. This will be visible to every player in the current instance of the map you are in.Also, when in the World vs World game mode there is /t for team chat, which can be seen by your allies across all of the world vs world maps.

The game is far from dead but is mature enough in its life-cycle that players tend to congregate in the end-game maps, higher loot areas, and newer content. There are still players in just about every map in the game though, just you may find the old core maps have a lower population.

Don't be disheartened, if you're struggling to find players to answer your questions, try using /m in one of the hub town areas, particularly Lion's Arch or Divinity's Reach as they are usually highly populated.

As for your question about reviving when you have no money, I actually don't know, I have never been in that situation. Someone else might be able to answer that for you.

First, it is very unlikely that you will have no coins to resurrect as it is so easy to make money in this game from selling junk items to doing events. I have never heard of that actually being a problem. If you spend all of your gold on purpose to find out, I would assume that the game would allow to resurrect for free. You just won't be able to use the Waypoints for fast travel. Letting a player/character not being able to resurrect due to lack of gold would be hardcore, which I am sure a lot of players will agree, GW2 isn't especially when compared to other games on the market.

Regarding chat, you are right in that there are multiple "kinds" of chat. Just type the following to access each:/y - Will show up as orange text and will go to all players on the map that you are currently on/l (lower case L) - Will show up as green text and will go to all players that are around you on the map. So distance is limited/g - Will show up as gold/yellow text and will go to all players in your Guild (I think the one you were trying) You can be in 5 Guilds hence the G1, G2 etc.../p - Blue text that will go to people in your party (usually up to 5 players)/s - light green that will go to people in your squad (up to 50 players)/w - purple texts are direct messages between players.

You can customise different tabs on your chat box to show different chats.

To alleviate your fears, GW2 is not dead. We have a friendly community that is still going strong.

Hope that helps and welcome to the wonderful world of Tyria!

@Martnor.1746 said:First, it is very unlikely that you will have no coins to resurrect as it is so easy to make money in this game from selling junk items to doing events. I have never heard of that actually being a problem. If you spend all of your gold on purpose to find out, I would assume that the game would allow to resurrect for free. You just won't be able to use the Waypoints for fast travel. Letting a player/character not being able to resurrect due to lack of gold would be hardcore, which I am sure a lot of players will agree, GW2 isn't especially when compared to other games on the market.

I've managed to get back down to no money twice that I remember, both times by using the trading post.

Once I was making ascended equipment so I spent as much as I could buying materials from the trading post (and because I was buying raw materials individual items were quite cheap so I could get down to less than 1 silver), then I went to Dry Top to make some more money and gather some materials myself. I died quite early on and the waypoint took all my remaining copper, then I died again and got a free waypoint (this only works when you're dead, and I think only with the closest waypoint). Luckily after that things started to pick up and I got back up to 1g quite quickly.

The second time fortunately didn't involve dying. I was buying candy corn at Halloween and the last purchase just happened to match exactly with the amount I had left in my wallet, so I was left with nothing. However I'd learned from that first time so I went to my bank and found some low value materials to sell to an NPC to get a little bit of money, then sold some more valuable materials I didn't need to sell on the trading post to get me back to just enough money to afford occasional waypoints.

@Martnor.1746 said:/y - Will show up as orange text and will go to all players on the map that you are currently on/l (lower case L) - Will show up as green text and will go to all players that are around you on the map. So distance is limited

This makes me curious! What language do you play in? Defaults are /m for Map and /s for Say

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Martnor.1746" said:/y - Will show up as orange text and will go to all players on the map that you are currently on/l (lower case L) - Will show up as green text and will go to all players that are around you on the map. So distance is limited

This makes me curious! What language do you play in? Defaults are /m for Map and /s for Say

According to the Wiki those are alternatives, possibly for people used to other games. Y is short for yell and L is short for local.

(Although in the other MMOs I've played yell is a weird one which falls somewhere between say and map - it will be visible to people slightly out of sight, but not to everyone. But I guess map chat is the nearest equivalent.)

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Martnor.1746" said:/y - Will show up as orange text and will go to all players on the map that you are currently on/l (lower case L) - Will show up as green text and will go to all players that are around you on the map. So distance is limited

, possibly for people used to other games. Y is short for yell and L is short for local.

(Although in the other MMOs I've played yell is a weird one which falls somewhere between say and map - it will be visible to people slightly out of sight, but not to everyone. But I guess map chat is the nearest equivalent.)

Ah, cool! Thanks :)

@"HenzyOne.5348" said:So i had a simple question for other players: "What happens if i die and i have no silver coins?" Those seem to be needed every time to resurrect.I got this game few days ago. Since i never seen much chat i was just sure that this game is pretty much dead but i dint want to leave yet.Since it seems somewhat interesting for some time even when playing alone.

So i tried something like G1 G2 G3 etc. Thinking that those mean "Global Chat 1/2/3" it always said that i am not on this channel.

AT this point i realized that mby game is not dead but somehow global chat is not working properly.

Dude, you rather write a lengthy post instead of just google it?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enCH744CH745&ei=QgeJXI64H5HSmwWGiYyoBA&q=chat+in+guild+wars+2&oq=chat+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i67l4j0i203l5.11865.13455..15617...2.0..0.97.647.7......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i131j0j0i131i67.XKdbbR3amzs

Bam! First hit, so simple, it's wonderful! Learn to be resourceful.

• 2 weeks later...

@Martnor.1746 said:First, it is very unlikely that you will have no coins to resurrect as it is so easy to make money in this game from selling junk items to doing events. I have never heard of that actually being a problem.

Someone posted not too long ago mentioning they spent their entire bank on a particular item, and then were unable to rez when dead. The solution was that someone mailed him some coin.

@Martnor.1746 said:/y - Will show up as orange text and will go to all players on the map that you are currently on/l (lower case L) - Will show up as green text and will go to all players that are around you on the map. So distance is limited

English. I think those work in English too. Different variations of the same command I guess.

@Biff.5312 said:

@Martnor.1746 said:First, it is very unlikely that you will have no coins to resurrect as it is so easy to make money in this game from selling junk items to doing events. I have never heard of that actually being a problem.

Someone posted not too long ago mentioning they spent their entire bank on a particular item, and then were unable to rez when dead. The solution was that someone mailed him some coin.

I have never experienced it myself so I can't speak to that. I believe someone else said that the game would give you a free rez. If you are emptying your wallet on purpose or being extremely careless, then yes, you can run out of gold. I want to stress that I never said that it is impossible, just unlikely. However, I really don't believe it's a common issue. And since the wallet is account-wide, you could theoretically just create a new character to generate the gold you would need to rez.

@Martnor.1746 said:I have never experienced it myself so I can't speak to that. I believe someone else said that the game would give you a free rez. If you are emptying your wallet on purpose or being extremely careless, then yes, you can run out of gold. I want to stress that I never said that it is impossible, just unlikely. However, I really don't believe it's a common issue. And since the wallet is account-wide, you could theoretically just create a new character to generate the gold you would need to rez.

It occurs to me that logging out and back in would suffice to rez you, although rezzing yourself that way would probably result in your character's immediate demise while you were looking at the last moments of the loading screen... The other character is needed so that you have some coin to move your character to a safe place.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Martnor.1746 said:I have never experienced it myself so I can't speak to that. I believe someone else said that the game would give you a free rez. If you are emptying your wallet on purpose or being extremely careless, then yes, you can run out of gold. I want to stress that I never said that it is impossible, just unlikely. However, I really don't believe it's a common issue. And since the wallet is account-wide, you could theoretically just create a new character to generate the gold you would need to rez.

It occurs to me that logging out and back in would suffice to rez you, although rezzing yourself that way would probably result in your character's immediate demise while you were looking at the last moments of the loading screen... The other character is needed so that you have some coin to
move
your character to a safe place.

Logging out and back in does not res you, iirc.

It occurs to me that logging out and back in would suffice to rez you, although rezzing yourself that way would probably result in your character's immediate demise while you were looking at the last moments of the loading screen... The other character is needed so that you have some coin to
move

Logging out and back in does
not
res you, iirc.

It doesn't. You will still be dead when you log back in.

If you don't have coins on you, you can rez for free at the nearest (presumably unlocked) waypoint.

@MikeG.6389 said:

move

Logging out and back in does
not
res you, iirc.

It doesn't. You will still be dead when you log back in.

If you don't have coins on you, you can rez for free at the nearest (presumably unlocked) waypoint.

OK, my bad. Sorry. It would still be a bad idea, anyway.

When you are defeated and do not have sufficient funds to travel to the nearest waypoints, the price is discounted to match the amount of silver/copper you currently have. Just make sure you have the nearest available waypoint.

GW2 doesnt have globalchat and to be honest, I like it. The first reason is that there are no worlds in PvE, So any global chat would cover the entire playerbase. Further, in games with worlds, the global chat tend to be tedious and flammatory allready. I never felt the need for global chat since we got the LFG-tool.

Keep in mind you can always advertise on the LFG-tool if you want to team up with others.

@"HenzyOne.5348" said:So i had a simple question for other players: "What happens if i die and i have no silver coins?" Those seem to be needed every time to resurrect.I got this game few days ago. Since i never seen much chat i was just sure that this game is pretty much dead but i dint want to leave yet.Since it seems somewhat interesting for some time even when playing alone.

If youhave no gold, the waypoint closest to you is free

Archived