Remove soulbinding of 24- and 28-slot bags

Archomeda.6472

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Drecien.4508 said:There are vendors that will exchange said bag for an account bound version. This has been addressed by anet.

To my knowledge those only addressed the 32 slot versions, not the 24/28.

Yup.If you want to use 32-slot craftsman bags, safe boxes or oiled bags on anything but the respective crafting profession, you need to craft them in one go, since soulbound items can't be taken out of the bank by anyone but the character they're bound to.If you craft 24 slot craftsman bags on your tailor and use them on another character, you won't be able to upgrade them anymore.

My turn to get stuck in this exact situation...

Had exactly 3k gold, made 1x [32-Slot Courier's Locker] 6x [32-Slot Orichalcum Locker] 3x [28-Slot Orichalcum Locker], got 176g remaining.My Revenant's the Armorsmith 500, my current main being the Deadeye. Since I'm out of gold to upgrade the last 3x 28slots, I'll just leave them Acc bound / soulbind on use on my Revenant until I get enough gold to upgrade them. It's sad I can't use them as 28slots on my Thief meanwhile because I wouldn't be able to transfer them back to the Revenant to upgrade them ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You really did create 32-slot bags? This is ridiculously expensive, if you look at the cost per inventory slot. Usually, you start from a 20-slot bag, so you get 12 more slots with a 32-slot bag. A 32-slot bag costs about 239 gold if you upgrade one 20-slot bag, which makes the additional slots cost about 20 gold each.

It's so expensive that it is cheaper to buy gems for gold and buy bag slot expansions and get 20-slot bags into them (123 gold or 6 Gold per additional slot for an additional bag slot expansion including 20-slot bag).

If you maxed out all bag slot expansions and have all 20-slot bags into them and still need more inventory space, it is cheaper to upgrade all bags from 20 to 24 until all bags are upgraded to 24. This costs 22 gold per upgrade and is about 5.5 gold per additional slot as well.

If you upgrade one from 20 to 28, it is double the price than upgrading two from 20 to 24. Both gets you 8 additional slots, but upgrading 20 to 24 cost 44 Gold, which is 5.5 Gold per additional slot, and upgrading from 20 to 28 costs 84 gold or 10.5 gold per additional slot. Doubled.

If you go upgrading from 20 to 32, it costs 240 gold or 20 gold per additional slot. Even doubled another time.

So first buy each possible bag slot expansion (gems or gold->gems) and put 20-slot bags into them.

If all these slots (200) are not enough, upgrade 20-slot bags to 24-slot bags. Don't upgrade any to 28 unless you upgraded all to 24, because for the price of one 20-to-28 upgrade (8 slots) you can buy 4 20-to-24 upgrades (16 slots).

If all bags with 24 slots (240) are still not enough, upgrade 24-slot bags to 28-slot bags. Don't upgrade any to 32 unless you upgraded all to 28, because for the price of one 24-to-32 upgrade (8 slots) you can buy 4 24-to-28 upgrades (16 slots).

If all bags with 28 slots (280) are still not enough, finally upgrade 28-slot bags to 32-slot bags.

Never upgrade one bag directly to 32 unless you want to max all bag slot expansions as well as max all bags to 32. Upgrading each lower tier bags to the next lower tier first is cheaper. And I imagine there is low demand for all 10*32=320 inventory slots that are possible.

Never understood the bad decision to make them soulbound. I wouldn't complain in the slightest if characters on my account could craft with stuff that's soulbound to other characters. You know, so that my leatherworker could upgrade oiled bags on my tailor or something equally logical and user friendly.

I'd like to add my voice to the discussion. I don't see a benefit to making the 24 and 28 slot bags soulbound. It doesn't make the game more fun to play. It makes me regret making the one 24 slot bag I've already made. It doesn't inspire me to upgrade my bags to 32-slot so they can be account bound... instead, it inspires me to just stick with the 20 slot bags I've already got, and resent the system.

For those you still complaining about this, I take it you didn't know that some even smaller bags end up getting soulbound to a particular character...and I'm talking 4, 5, 8 and 12 slot bags. This isn't new, it's been around for ever and the reason is they want you to craft all the way from 20 to 32 on one character before distributing them, it's gold sink and nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...

@Zaklex.6308 said:For those you still complaining about this, I take it you didn't know that some even smaller bags end up getting soulbound to a particular character...and I'm talking 4, 5, 8 and 12 slot bags. This isn't new, it's been around for ever and the reason is they want you to craft all the way from 20 to 32 on one character before distributing them, it's gold sink and nothing more.

That really doesn't add anything. Soulbound or not, it's still a gold sink. And 4, 5, 8 and 12 slot bags are not gold sinks, and even when they were more relevant, they were stepping stones and given. This is just soulbound shinanigans on an expensive bag that is basically purchase. It's a quality of life mistake that only punishes players for not knowing. Account binding takes it off the market, regardless, making it still a gold sink.

TL;DR most

I suspect the reason is practical. If you're going to spend the funds necessary to buy a 24-slot bag, you're already over half way to a 28, and the 28 will be way over halfway to a 32.

What I did was build a 24 and use it for a while. Then, when I had saved up the stuff, I converted it to a 28. Finally, I upgraded to a 32.

My guess is that they don't think anybody is going to drain money into a 24-slotter without eventually finishing the process.

But soulbound? I don't know why they chose that and not account bound. Probably there's a technical reason they didn't make the 24s and 28s account bound. Because it doesn't make a lot of sense to do what they did.

@"Silmar Alech.4305" said:You really did create 32-slot bags? This is ridiculously expensive, if you look at the cost per inventory slot. Usually, you start from a 20-slot bag, so you get 12 more slots with a 32-slot bag. A 32-slot bag costs about 239 gold if you upgrade one 20-slot bag, which makes the additional slots cost about 20 gold each.

It's expensive, but not ridiculously so. Compare to upgrading from 18-slot bags to 20s. Ignoring the materials and the fact that the 18 is now useless, it cost 4g per slot to "upgrade".

Compared to the jump from 15s to 18s (about 2/3 of a gold per slot), that was a tripling of the per-slot price. If the 4g per slot for 18-->20 were tripled again, a 24-slot bag should cost 48g, which isn't too far off from the actual price.

I think the price is about right. However, one must carefully evaluate that against the price of buying bag slots vs. extra pack slots per bag; your analysis of this is pretty good. It's probably unwise to buy a 32/28/24 before you have your bag slots maxed.

The prices were halved since I wrote that, so it's probably not "ridiculously expensive" any more, but still "too expensive".It happens that I did some Excel-calculating with the bag prices, and these 2 graphs are probably the most meaningful fallout from that:

• The top graph shows the cost of one slot if you build your inventory from bags of a given bag type. Seen from a given inventory size, and if you buy additional bag slots with gold->gem.
  • The bottom graph shows the total cost of the total inventory for each bag type, if you buy additional bag slots with gold->gem.

Prices are current as of this post - just pulled from the TP, used "highest order price" for the bag ingredients and calculated the fact that you re-use a lower tier bag to craft the next higher tier bag.

Imgur

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:For those you still complaining about this, I take it you didn't know that some even smaller bags end up getting soulbound to a particular character...and I'm talking 4, 5, 8 and 12 slot bags.

You don't use those as components in crafting the higher tiers however, do you?

No, you don't, but the person that made the statement I was responding to didn't make that their statement...eve though I'm quite aware that the smaller bags are required to make the larger ones. I think what Anet wants is people to not stop with 24 and 28 slot bags but to continue right onto the 32 count bags without stopping at the intermediate sizes...whether intentional or not that's the perception I get.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:For those you still complaining about this, I take it you didn't know that some even smaller bags end up getting soulbound to a particular character...and I'm talking 4, 5, 8 and 12 slot bags.

You don't use those as components in crafting the higher tiers however, do you?

No, you don't, but the person that made the statement I was responding to didn't make that their statement...eve though I'm quite aware that the smaller bags are required to make the larger ones. I think what Anet wants is people to not stop with 24 and 28 slot bags but to continue right onto the 32 count bags without stopping at the intermediate sizes...whether intentional or not that's the perception I get.

If the intention was for players to craft 32 slot bags straight away, there would be no 24 and 28 ones at all. Or they would not be upgradable. The way they are designed now suggests that they were meant to be used until being upgraded, but that seems to run contrary to the soulbound flag they have.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:Just remove soulbinding completely. It serves no viable purpose with the state of the game today.

Alternately, allow other characters on the account to handle (but not use) the soulbound items. Specifically for purposes of upgrading them, but I can think of other things where it would be nice, too. (Like, mystic forging things that can't be sold or salvaged. Every one of my characters has some garbage collected long ago, but not enough of the same rarity to forge them.:p)