Upcoming class changes

Lyndina.7984

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

@everyman.4375 said:Chrono aside why did they nerf mirage cloak again ? After the mirage cloak duration nerf, jaunt nerf and now superspeed nerf AOEs are now mirage's worst nightmare ... nice ...

I'm just going to say that mirage will get nerfed every patch to calm down the hordes of crying monkeys. If mirage doesn't get any nerf they will give birth to a thousand threads asking why the godmode mirage didn't get nerfs. Heck even this way they say its a buff.

How could this be seen as a buff? Genuinely asking, not meaning to be mean.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@penguin zombies.9305 said:

@"everyman.4375" said:Chrono aside why did they nerf mirage cloak again ? After the mirage cloak duration nerf, jaunt nerf and now superspeed nerf AOEs are now mirage's worst nightmare ... nice ...

I'm just going to say that mirage will get nerfed every patch to calm down the hordes of crying monkeys. If mirage doesn't get any nerf they will give birth to a thousand threads asking why the godmode mirage didn't get nerfs. Heck even this way they say its a buff.

You should ask the "knowledgeable community", not me.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@"praqtos.9035" said:I dont know what to think about chrono changes ,no clones no shatters while they are thin as paper.... Scary...And no nerfs on chaos interrupt which means mesmer going to have more and more hate day after day

Chaos interrupt will fall in the unused builds like it always be once people start playing with condiclear and more defense again.BTW about the note :
  • What did they mean by the illusion counter ? it may be my bad english but I don't get it.
  • Speed of Sand = no superspeed reset when using master of manipulation.
  • Chrono shatter : it's a shatter mecanics like without IP and we lose F4 invul. Need to see the numbers.
  • Dune cloak : can be pretty good with boon removal.
  • Auspicious anguish : hudge survival nerf for all chaos builds. (Hopefully I switched to no chaos builds.)

Will see how did it perform with other changes.

BTW WHERE IS THE GLAMOUR TRAIT :
Come on please...

the three purple/pink dots next to shatters now reflect on non-shattered clones only rather than included ones running towards enemy for shatter.

To clarify further, it's a cosmetic change only and has no gameplay implications.

The changes to chrono being unable to self-shatter, on the other hand, is pretty devastating for any hope of mesmer being usable in WvW groups. It's also just generally a miserable change from a QoL perspective. There's a good reason why almost every single build in vanilla took illusionary persona until it became baseline.

To be fair, IP was predominant only on the forum elitist power "shatter is skill" mafia.What we saw in game was wy more diversified from full clone spam to PU direct burst with hybrid focus, glamour WvW few rupt builds etc.I'm pretty sure there were more clone death based builds than IP builds.

BTW thanks for explanation about illusion count.

@viquing.8254 said:

@"praqtos.9035" said:I dont know what to think about chrono changes ,no clones no shatters while they are thin as paper.... Scary...And no nerfs on chaos interrupt which means mesmer going to have more and more hate day after day

Chaos interrupt will fall in the unused builds like it always be once people start playing with condiclear and more defense again.BTW about the note :
  • What did they mean by the illusion counter ? it may be my bad english but I don't get it.
  • Speed of Sand = no superspeed reset when using master of manipulation.
  • Chrono shatter : it's a shatter mecanics like without IP and we lose F4 invul. Need to see the numbers.
  • Dune cloak : can be pretty good with boon removal.
  • Auspicious anguish : hudge survival nerf for all chaos builds. (Hopefully I switched to no chaos builds.)

Will see how did it perform with other changes.

BTW WHERE IS THE GLAMOUR TRAIT :
Come on please...

the three purple/pink dots next to shatters now reflect on non-shattered clones only rather than included ones running towards enemy for shatter.

To clarify further, it's a cosmetic change only and has no gameplay implications.

The changes to chrono being unable to self-shatter, on the other hand, is pretty devastating for any hope of mesmer being usable in WvW groups. It's also just generally a miserable change from a QoL perspective. There's a good reason why almost every single build in vanilla took illusionary persona until it became baseline.

To be fair, IP was predominant only on the forum elitist power "shatter is skill" mafia.What we saw in game was wy more diversified from full clone spam to PU direct burst with hybrid focus, glamour WvW few rupt builds etc.I'm pretty sure there were more clone death based builds than IP builds.

BTW thanks for explanation about illusion count.

I explained this more in another thread, but you had 2 broad archetypes of mesmer builds: builds that used shatters and builds that ignored them completely. The difference was IP. Now in 2019, Anet has gone to great lengths to try and make all mesmer builds rely heavily on shattering, and Chrono builds are no exception. Without IP though...it'll be trash.

The problem is that Anet balances on a spreadsheet and goes "well, we can remove this mechanic and they'll still be fine, look at this calculation". In reality, these changes make the class miserable to play even if it's still technically capable and viable.

say bye bye to wvw zerg/group chrono. They killed it once again. Its just so damn disappointing. Its already scrapper stealth over vail, dmg in zergs is also not that great and you gotta take care of every step you take because you are prob oneshot. There is grav but with that stab nowadays. they make this class useless in blob fights. Im waiting for a patch that will show some love for Mesmer and not only nerfs that make ppl swap to other classes instead.

@"Pyroatheist.9031" said:I explained this more in another thread, but you had 2 broad archetypes of mesmer builds: builds that used shatters and builds that ignored them completely. The difference was IP. Now in 2019, Anet has gone to great lengths to try and make all mesmer builds rely heavily on shattering, and Chrono builds are no exception. Without IP though...it'll be trash.

The problem is that Anet balances on a spreadsheet and goes "well, we can remove this mechanic and they'll still be fine, look at this calculation". In reality, these changes make the class miserable to play even if it's still technically capable and viable.

Hmm, I disagree because even before IP baseline, every build used shatter. Even me on a full clonespam like 20/25/15/10/0. Mean I didn't know a build who never shatter before IP baseline.Every builds used shatters, phantasm and on death even by specing into one prefered gameplay.

Though I agree that with the on death removal + IP baseline we get only the shatter gameplay option during a long time until mirage and clones ambush pop. (We also lose some other gameplay like your retaliation build.) I find the HoT mono-gameplay period really boring...

We will have to look about the numbers on the news chrono shatters but I don't think IP is that mandatory to perform.

@viquing.8254 said:

@"Pyroatheist.9031" said:I explained this more in another thread, but you had 2 broad archetypes of mesmer builds: builds that used shatters and builds that ignored them completely. The difference was IP. Now in 2019, Anet has gone to great lengths to try and make all mesmer builds rely heavily on shattering, and Chrono builds are no exception. Without IP though...it'll be trash.

Hmm, I disagree because even before IP baseline, every build used shatter. Even me on a full clonespam like 20/25/15/10/0. Mean I didn't know a build who never shatter before IP baseline.Every builds used shatters, phantasm and on death even by specing into one prefered gameplay.

Though I agree that with the on death removal + IP baseline we get only the shatter gameplay option during a long time until mirage and clones ambush pop. (We also lose some other gameplay like your retaliation build.) I find the HoT mono-gameplay period really boring...

We will have to look about the numbers on the news chrono shatters but I don't think IP is that mandatory to perform.Before IP baseline every build had IP.

So...I'm completely new to playing mesmer. I wanted to build my mesmer into a chronomancer tank/boon-share support (following the build on metabattle). Is that sort of build and gameplay going to be terribly affected/badly nerfed by these changes to chronos?

@viquing.8254 said:

Incorrect. Phantasm builds avoided shattering at all costs because it destroyed their damage resources. You'd only ever use distortion, and even then it was a substantial loss to use it because then you had to re-summon all the phantasms. Similarly, clone death builds avoided shattering unless you needed to destroy phantasms that had built up. Shattering was strictly worse than destroying the clones in all situations, so you avoided it unless you absolutely had to.

The only builds that regularly shattered intentionally were builds taking IP.

@Batel.9206 said:So...I'm completely new to playing mesmer. I wanted to build my mesmer into a chronomancer tank/boon-share support (following the build on metabattle). Is that sort of build and gameplay going to be terribly affected/badly nerfed by these changes to chronos?

From a spreadsheet composition standpoint, Chrono will be just as good as it is now. From a playability and QoL standpoint, Chrono will be miserable.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Batel.9206 said:So...I'm completely new to playing mesmer. I wanted to build my mesmer into a chronomancer tank/boon-share support (following the build
on metabattle). Is that sort of build and gameplay going to be terribly affected/badly nerfed by these changes to chronos?

From a spreadsheet composition standpoint, Chrono will be just as good as it is now. From a playability and QoL standpoint, Chrono will be miserable.

Thanks for the answer! :) 'Tis all I wanted to know.

@phokus.8934 said:

We will have to look about the numbers on the news chrono shatters but I don't think IP is that mandatory to perform.Before IP baseline every build had IP.

Nop tha'ts just what I explained.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:I explained this more in another thread, but you had 2 broad archetypes of mesmer builds: builds that used shatters and builds that ignored them completely. The difference was IP. Now in 2019, Anet has gone to great lengths to try and make all mesmer builds rely heavily on shattering, and Chrono builds are no exception. Without IP though...it'll be trash.

Incorrect. Phantasm builds avoided shattering at all costs because it destroyed their damage resources. You'd only ever use distortion, and even then it was a substantial loss to use it because then you had to re-summon all the phantasms. Similarly, clone death builds avoided shattering unless you needed to destroy phantasms that had built up. Shattering was strictly worse than destroying the clones in all situations, so you avoided it unless you absolutely had to.

A good F3 rupt was used even in clone death, same with F1/F2 depending on direct/condi dammage during a sword 3 immob for example to put a mini pressure spike.Only in PvE phantasm build never use shatter but in PvP/WvW I never see a mesmer who never shatter and I'm not talking about only F4.Btw I'm pretty sure majority of mesmers didn't use IP before june 2015.Watch the old mesmer video thread pre-HoT : most builds didn't use IP.There were aslo shatter builds without ip with just DE. IP was just an easy way to get 1 more perma free clone.

@viquing.8254 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:I explained this more in another thread, but you had 2 broad archetypes of mesmer builds: builds that used shatters and builds that ignored them completely. The difference was IP. Now in 2019, Anet has gone to great lengths to try and make all mesmer builds rely heavily on shattering, and Chrono builds are no exception. Without IP though...it'll be trash.

A good F3 rupt was used even in clone death, same with F1/F2 depending on direct/condi dammage during a sword 3 immob for example to put a mini pressure spike.Only in PvE phantasm build never use shatter but in PvP/WvW I never see a mesmer who never shatter and I'm not talking about only F4.Btw I'm pretty sure majority of mesmers didn't use IP before june 2015.Watch the old mesmer video thread pre-HoT : most builds didn't use IP.There were aslo shatter builds without ip with just DE. IP was just an easy way to get 1 more perma free clone.

Nah, you really didn't do that almost ever. In theory you could interrupt things with F3, but usually you'd just block it with the scepter and get more damage out of it. Clone death relied on you letting the enemy attack, interrupting them went against the concept of the setup.

Phantasms were similar. The cost of using any shatter was enormous because you lost all of your damage pressure. You'd shatter only if you had absolutely no other option, and it sucked when you were forced to do that. Generally if you were forced to shatter defensively to interrupt a skill or protect, you were already on the back foot and losing the fight.

There were indeed shatter builds just using DE, not IP, but they were bad, that's just how it was. DE was a master tier trait back then, so you'd take 30 illusions, 20 dueling, and 20 pick your own adventure for a shatter build. If you didn't do that, your shatter build was bad, no questions asked. Recall that the whole shatter setup relied on being able to do a daze into the shatter combo, but you couldn't do that without IP. Additionally, because of how the IP damage calculation worked, not using IP resulted in your shatters being anywhere from 50% to 80%ish as strong as someone using IP. It simply was not an optional trait for a build intending on shattering.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:From a spreadsheet composition standpoint, Chrono will be just as good as it is now. From a playability and QoL standpoint, Chrono will be miserable.

This.

While I'm very very pleased Mesmers finally get alternative Shatter skills, I got two issues with the teased changes.

First, the alternative Shatters can work out depending on their numbers but they sound very boring. ANet could and should have gone a longer way. I'm not expecting FB-like Shatters, but changes comparable to DH should be possible. I have been theorycrafting a class rework for Mesmers because I had to travel for work a lot lately. One idea I was tinkering with is a pulsing area effect around the Chrono which all leave behind a rift like CS for counterplay. It would be less bursty and therefore offer an alternative playstyle. It also ties in with the defensive capabilities of Chronos and their Wells. Now, for Mirage: I'm really hoping for Mirage Cloak through Shatters instead of Mirrors or dodging. It would suit the class way better and would solve the issue of your F-skills being less desirable for Mesmers yet again.

Second, losing IP is a very irritating decision. It clearly is meant as a trade-off. But as Pyro said: It mainly affects QoL, not necessarily performance (possible exceptions: large scale fights, especially in WvW). However, if the deal with Chrono Shatters is supposed to be 'thoughtful use' and 'harder set up', why not just make the baseline effect weak as hell and significantly increase the potency based on the number of Illusions? Like... just as the description tells you? Why yet another hoop to jump through? From a design point of view, there is absolutely no reason for Chronomancers to lose IP.

That aside, I like the changes overall even though we don't know the numbers yet. It's just not enough for the time they take to put those out. I'm especially interested in the Thief changes. I don't want to cry about yet another class getting formerly Mesmer exclusive stuff - Shadow Arts and Traps desperately needed a rework. I'm genuinely excited about those specific changes even though they might cause a lot of trouble for Mesmers in PvP.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

Nah, you really didn't do that almost ever. In theory you could interrupt things with F3, but usually you'd just block it with the scepter and get more damage out of it. Clone death relied on you letting the enemy attack, interrupting them went against the concept of the setup.

Phantasms were similar. The cost of using any shatter was enormous because you lost all of your damage pressure. You'd shatter only if you had absolutely no other option, and it sucked when you were forced to do that. Generally if you were forced to shatter defensively to interrupt a skill or protect, you were already on the back foot and losing the fight.

There were indeed shatter builds just using DE, not IP, but they were bad, that's just how it was. DE was a master tier trait back then, so you'd take 30 illusions, 20 dueling, and 20 pick your own adventure for a shatter build. If you didn't do that, your shatter build was bad, no questions asked. Recall that the whole shatter setup relied on being able to do a daze into the shatter combo, but you couldn't do that without IP. Additionally, because of how the IP damage calculation worked, not using IP resulted in your shatters being anywhere from 50% to 80%ish as strong as someone using IP. It simply was not an optional trait for a build intending on shattering.

It was better to rupt a heal or other keyskill than to leave clones alive.Phantasms rarely lived more than 1 attacks in a PvP/WvW environnement so shatter them didn't waste the illusion.Burst builds with PU exists even before the PU pre-HoT upgrade and a duel versus a PU direct build vs a IP build was in favor of the PU build.

@viquing.8254 said:

It was better to rupt a heal or other keyskill than to leave clones alive.

Sometimes true, but really depended on class honestly. A lot of heal skills weren't really interruptable, a la withdraw, a lot of classes protected the heal skills with stability and such. It was very situational.

Phantasms rarely lived more than 1 attacks in a PvP/WvW environnement so shatter them didn't waste the illusion.

Correct, phantasms rarely lived more than 1 attack...which is why nobody played phantasm builds in actual competitive environments. You still didn't shatter them...you just didn't play them at all.

Burst builds with PU exists even before the PU pre-HoT upgrade and a duel versus a PU direct build vs a IP build was in favor of the PU build.

Burst builds with PU did exist, but they were generally rather weak. While a matchup between a PU build and an IP build favored the PU build, the PU build was disfavorable for pretty much any other actual matchup because you simply couldn't deliver the oomph necessary to burst people down properly.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

It was better to rupt a heal or other keyskill than to leave clones alive.

Sometimes true, but really depended on class honestly. A lot of heal skills weren't really interruptable, a la withdraw, a lot of classes protected the heal skills with stability and such. It was very situational.

Phantasms rarely lived more than 1 attacks in a PvP/WvW environnement so shatter them didn't waste the illusion.

Correct, phantasms rarely lived more than 1 attack...which is why nobody played phantasm builds in actual competitive environments. You still didn't shatter them...you just didn't play them at all.

Burst builds with PU exists even before the PU pre-HoT upgrade and a duel versus a PU direct build vs a IP build was in favor of the PU build.

Burst builds with PU did exist, but they were generally rather weak. While a matchup between a PU build and an IP build favored the PU build, the PU build was disfavorable for pretty much any other actual matchup because you simply couldn't deliver the oomph necessary to burst people down properly.That's why apart for some elitists pro shatter burst, most mesmers builds weren't about burst but about long time fights kitting.I mean look at here :
Very few builds used IP and it was pretty rare to see a IP build in WvW out of duel spot.

@penguin zombies.9305 said:

@everyman.4375 said:Chrono aside why did they nerf mirage cloak again ? After the mirage cloak duration nerf, jaunt nerf and now superspeed nerf AOEs are now mirage's worst nightmare ... nice ...

Welp, superspeed is a buff that does not stack but replaces the existing version, when used in combat, a longer lasting superspeed was often replaced with a shorter duration .75 sec version. So the change to 66% movespeed is a net zero change out of combat, and only worse in combat when you happen to be chilled or crippled and trying to dodge.

Is this to say that the changes for Mirage are buffs? I feel it is pretty much a null change, the difference in Auspicious Anguish looks interesting though, I will have to see how it functions in game, but could certainly be exciting to have a nice defensive option outside of staff cooldown reduction. I would like a change to be made to Desperate Decoy, as it tends to break casts of important skills when it goes off, so I do not end up using it even if I really do need a passive % health defensive.

Edit: Also, Dune Cloak change has potential as well, but not sure it is a strong enough utility or not, boon stripping from everyone in range could be useful, but means being in the thick of danger. They really have avoided IH being baseline to the elite specialization for some reason, but I guess there was a time where it was not mandatory though, so maybe it is just common perception and not really necessary but only our self deceptions.

@Delofasht.4231 said:

@"everyman.4375" said:Chrono aside why did they nerf mirage cloak again ? After the mirage cloak duration nerf, jaunt nerf and now superspeed nerf AOEs are now mirage's worst nightmare ... nice ...

Welp, superspeed is a buff that does not stack but replaces the existing version, when used in combat, a longer lasting superspeed was often replaced with a shorter duration .75 sec version. So the change to 66% movespeed is a net zero change out of combat, and only worse in combat when you happen to be chilled or crippled and trying to dodge.

Is this to say that the changes for Mirage are buffs? I feel it is pretty much a null change, the difference in Auspicious Anguish looks interesting though, I will have to see how it functions in game, but could certainly be exciting to have a nice defensive option outside of staff cooldown reduction. I would like a change to be made to Desperate Decoy, as it tends to break casts of important skills when it goes off, so I do not end up using it even if I really do need a passive % health defensive.

Edit: Also, Dune Cloak change has potential as well, but not sure it is a strong enough utility or not, boon stripping from everyone in range could be useful, but means being in the thick of danger. They really have avoided IH being baseline to the elite specialization for some reason, but I guess there was a time where it was not mandatory though, so maybe it is just common perception and not really necessary but only our self deceptions.

Currently Speed of Sand gives Superspeed, which is a 100% increase to movement speed (So 200% movement). +66% speed instead will be 166% speed, or a 34% nerf.

As we'll still have to move ourselves during that, that is effectively making the dodge movement less area.

However, Superspeed is forward only, not when strafing or moving backwards. Other movement speed boosts apply to all movement, so this will actually make Mirage Cloak while strafing a little better.

We'll have to see how it plays out, as Mirage will be the only WvW option now that they have fully gutted the Chronomancer with a dependency on clones in the AoE/Cleave Abyss that is the current WvW meta(unless you go core like me). We're going to cover less distance on a moving dodge overall, but strafing dodges will cover more than they used to.

@Henrik.7560 said:The change is kitten garbage it would make sense for mirage to lose distort not chrono kitten

You can thank some Mesmers that still don't get that when you suggest nerfs and buffs only the nerfs get into patch.

Some mesmers spammed that chrono should lose distortion in favor of CS without getting that chrono is already weak in terms of sustain even with distortion.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

@Henrik.7560 said:The change is kitten garbage it would make sense for mirage to lose distort not chrono kitten

You can thank some Mesmers that still don't get that when you suggest nerfs and buffs only the nerfs get into patch.

Some mesmers spammed that chrono should lose distortion in favor of CS without getting that chrono is already weak in terms of sustain even with distortion.I dont remember any mesmer spammed that Illusionary persona must be taken away tho