How do I practice?

StevieB.7495

I've been playing a ton of unranked but never seem to get any better. Teams are always hateful, toxic and my block list is getting really quite long. Is there any way I can just play against some practice bots? Is there any practice arena for me and my gf to not have to play with the player base?

Conquest is mostly strategy so best practice remains playing it, but also watching stuff like monthly tournaments really helps.For mechanical stuff you can practice in custom arena and duel each other, learn all the kiting spots and so on.Roaming in wvw helped me a lot as well (players are almost bots there), although its pretty dead right now since everyone just flees with mounts.

Unranked and hotjoin are your best options to practice. Hotjoin lets you learn the basic mechanics and toy around with them in a non-results-driven way. Unranked adds the results drive without rank consequences.

Or you could just played ranked and let the dice fall as they may. The system should place you in a tier that you belong at for your skill level.

@StevieB.7495 said:

@Ryan.9387 said:Duels duels duels duels. Especially with a person who is good and will explain what is going on.

Nothing else improves you faster.

How does one do that?

The best way to learn is to find a top tier player who can tell you what is actually happening in your matches and how you can turn that into a win. Also you can try and emulate whatever class your mentor mains and learn the more in depth things like builds rotations and for some classes how to 1v1 on said class and learning the match ups of said 1v1s

@StevieB.7495 said:I've been playing a ton of unranked but never seem to get any better. Teams are always hateful, toxic and my block list is getting really quite long. Is there any way I can just play against some practice bots? Is there any practice arena for me and my gf to not have to play with the player base?

depends what you play, start with meta build of fav class and play it out, the FIRST thing you should do, is practice abilities on dummies ( while waiting on games )dont look how long they take, you need to FEEL how long they take to activate, their range, everything.

master yourself, master the enemy! every time you fight an oponent class, try to MORE OR LESS see what they can do, lets say its guard. you wanna kill him, he can blind you, he can block with blue big shield, and goes invulnerable with his heroic while channeling. keep an eye out what enemies can do, and how often.

when you find someone you like from the team, you can add them. try to 1v1 with them. hit bots in lobby, to see what does how much damage, you need to know your limits. AFTER you get the feel on every ability, every timing and more or less know what enemies can do, then the map game starts, this is when the game plays itself and you preety much are glued to the map, but that comes later. much later. whenever you are not actively focusing on combat, look at the map! see if team needs help or not.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@StevieB.7495 said:I've been playing a ton of unranked but never seem to get any better. Teams are always hateful, toxic and my block list is getting really quite long. Is there any way I can just play against some practice bots? Is there any practice arena for me and my gf to not have to play with the player base?

depends what you play, start with meta build of fav class and play it out, the FIRST thing you should do, is practice abilities on dummies ( while waiting on games )dont look how long they take, you need to FEEL how long they take to activate, their range, everything.

master yourself, master the enemy! every time you fight an oponent class, try to MORE OR LESS see what they can do, lets say its guard. you wanna kill him, he can blind you, he can block with blue big shield, and goes invulnerable with his heroic while channeling. keep an eye out what enemies can do, and how often.

when you find someone you like from the team, you can add them. try to 1v1 with them. hit bots in lobby, to see what does how much damage, you need to know your limits. AFTER you get the feel on every ability, every timing and more or less know what enemies can do, then the map game starts, this is when the game plays itself and you preety much are glued to the map, but that comes later. much later. whenever you are not actively focusing on combat, look at the map! see if team needs help or not.

Don’t wanna burst your bubble. While hitting bots can be helpful for testing you won’t get good that way. I’ll quote a streamer “you will never get good by hitting bots in the lobby. You need to practice your execution” - Bryrevenant. Same thing applies to 1v1 s to an extent , though there are some classes where u can attempt to 1v1 all game.

@StevieB.7495 said:

@"Ryan.9387" said:Duels duels duels duels. Especially with a person who is good and will explain what is going on.

How does one do that?

Make friends and ask them. Focus on single aspects of your gameplay at a time. Ex "I will dodge x skill every time", "I will cc his heal" or "I will only use CC skills after they dodge" Don't sweat the wins or losses, just train yourself in the proper reaction to the enemy. Perfect single aspects of your play to the point it becomes second nature. Then move on to the next skill.

For example, without any lookup, do you know how a holo clears condis? Do you know how a warrior clears condis?

The fights in this game are all about timing. Your actions or your opponents create small windows of opportunity. It is your goal to find those and exploit them. Consistently winning the small trades stacks up to a won fight.

Lol we have a bunch of 1v1 server rats in here. I literally learned thief meta myself from a top 3 thief and we only 1v1d like twice still I’m good enough to beat the far god thief 1v1. Just 1v1ing all day is not the only way to learn. Most ppl that learn that way are eccentric members of the community. I’d rather do pve practice like kiting then 1v1 all day

@StevieB.7495 said:

@Ryan.9387 said:Duels duels duels duels. Especially with a person who is good and will explain what is going on.

How does one do that?

Find some people who play diff classes and spar with them. Either in PvP hotjoin or even in a guild hall arena (WvW also works as well). If you are NA, I play Mirage (non meta DPS), DPS druid/Soulbeast, Daredevil/Deadeye, and core Engi/Scrapper. Im def not the best, however should be enough to at least help ya improve.

you don't have to pratice, you just need to know the basics: pick points, leave mid when needed, picking sides, picking orbs and ring the bell and don't be a dumb, don't jump on outnumbered fights unless you playing a op class, know when to run away from a fight, also you need to theorycraft your builds/rotation on what you can do to kill the enemy and defend yourself.

the pratice is only to see if your rotation/build will work in reality.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

How does one do that?

The best way to learn is to find a top tier player who can tell you what is actually happening in your matches and how you can turn that into a win. Also you can try and emulate whatever class your mentor mains and learn the more in depth things like builds rotations and for some classes how to 1v1 on said class and learning the match ups of said 1v1s

@StevieB.7495

For specific class advance, you've got to find a mentor.

But if you're looking for all around general sound advice, click the link in my signature. It's a good read into the basics of what you'll need to know if you want to achieve bottom platinum rank levels or above.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

Don’t wanna burst your bubble. While hitting bots can be helpful for testing you won’t get good that way. I’ll quote a streamer “you will never get good by hitting bots in the lobby. You need to practice your execution” - Bryrevenant. Same thing applies to 1v1 s to an extent , though there are some classes where u can attempt to 1v1 all game.

He asked how to practice, I gave him answear. I dont think I indicated that he was supposed to hit bots all day long and call it a day, I have played jax in league of legends for 10 years, and even now I make small fuck ups if i dont play him for a bit, doing basic combos is good to improve and remain good at them.dont fear a guy that did 1000 different punches once, fear a guy that did one punch 1000 times.No matter how good you are, or how you think you are, you can make even the most basic combos better/faster.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

He asked how to practice, I gave him answear. I dont think I indicated that he was supposed to hit bots all day long and call it a day, I have played jax in league of legends for 10 years, and even now I make small kitten ups if i dont play him for a bit, doing basic combos is good to improve and remain good at them.dont fear a guy that did 1000 different punches once, fear a guy that did one punch 1000 times.No matter how good you are, or how you think you are, you can make even the most basic combos better/faster.

Dude just attacking robots is not gonna teach u combos. First you need to learn combos u have no idea how many ppl I’ve watched play reaper, many of them in legend even one of them had the most popular how to video for reaper. What I noticed not a single one even amount the legend lvl players didn’t even know the actual combos and this is cuz they taught them selves against bots and made it to legend. That doesn’t mean they ever got good at reaper- same thing could happen if he just practices random combos all day it might just take x2 as long to get to legend.

I'm glad to see so many people being helpful.

As for situations that help you improve, there are a few:

Spectate the FFA Arena. Take note of people in the arena, what classes they play, their respective ranks, and animation strings they use. Take note of strings that are effective and which ones lead to the user getting wiped, and if you have one of those classes, go try the strings out and find out why they work/dont work.

Turn on your combat log and play in the FFA arena. when you lose to a particular matchup, see what did the most damage to you and try to figure out why that happened. take note of any conditions that may have helped this damage take place.

Have a cursory knowledge of what meta builds people play. Metabattle has a breakdown of the widely-agreed-upon builds, how they work, why they work, and often how you can counter them. try them out and see what they feel like, then fight them and see what you need to react or respond to to not die.

Join a custom arena that does 1v1 matches/sparring. Fight some players. Ask about what skills they are using, or spectate the arena and examine the builds and stat combinations they are using. Everyone in a custom arena has their build exposed while they are in the arena.

Play unranked, as you are. keep track of the timestamps when map events happen, pay attention to how people move on the map, and try to figure out where your class of choice would be best suited in your matchup.

Watch videos about pvp conquest, especially ones that give play by plays and explain when objectives are important, and when they are not, and why. (especially beasts in forest.)

Don't play unranked, I returned to this game 6 months ago or smth and unranked is dead now its full of bots mate just play ranked honestly, you cant learn or get better or enjoy the game in that environment, I was wondering why idiots learning and trying stuff in ranked before I tried some unranked on my alt and shock horror it has gone so downhill its not worth stepping in at all.

Watch some sindrener streams, very good pvp commentary, probably the best generally on all aspects of movement and rotations, classes, compositions e.t.c. then you can watch top streamers for each class you can find some on metabattle at bottom of each build to learn rotations of other classes so how you can counter them or better yet just play them. If you have a good gaming mouse and keybinds set up efficiently (helseth have good video on this) you should be able to learn classes quickly to a basic level so you can feel animations properly yourself.

Keep calm and practice its hard to not get angry these days but if you stay respectful eventually you can get some nice duels and people will teach you as well.. dont ever give up especially when outnumbered play harder thats when you will learn the most and get better fastest

@Dantheman.3589 said:

He asked how to practice, I gave him answear. I dont think I indicated that he was supposed to hit bots all day long and call it a day, I have played jax in league of legends for 10 years, and even now I make small kitten ups if i dont play him for a bit, doing basic combos is good to improve and remain good at them.dont fear a guy that did 1000 different punches once, fear a guy that did one punch 1000 times.No matter how good you are, or how you think you are, you can make even the most basic combos better/faster.

Dude just attacking robots is not gonna teach u combos. First you need to learn combos u have no idea how many ppl I’ve watched play reaper, many of them in legend even one of them had the most popular how to video for reaper. What I noticed not a single one even amount the legend lvl players didn’t even know the actual combos and this is cuz they taught them selves against bots and made it to legend. That doesn’t mean they ever got good at reaper- same thing could happen if he just practices random combos all day it might just take x2 as long to get to legend.

read carefully what I wrote, I didnt tell him to make up random shit combos and start hitting dummies 10hours each day, but to practice feel of the abilities he uses, as I said before, after 10 years of playing jax in league of legends I still make mechanical mistakes, even tho its one of the less mechanical champions.you make mistakes everyone makes mistakes, practice, its like mouse movements from pros in csgo, where they snapshot between 2 spots.dont really know why I bother explaining, you are dead set at proving im wrong.

Unranked and go invisible cus the tryhards and trolls are there to. Play none stop and use voice comes to share information till u can stand on your own feet. When u start pvp stay with team as they will support u and mark for u and when u get better with understanding rp and match ups u can do your own thing on map to change the tide of the game. And always remember at the start of the game winning the team fight is much more important than the caps. Once u win u want to focus on rotating to defend the caps. And always watch for the bulk fights as w/e wins those can snowball rest of map.