Unlinking servers in WvW

Bogoris.4035

I read in chat all kinds of excuses as to why this is done and not a single one made sense. The wvw is like the professional teams sport rivarly - Red Sox vs Yankees, Barcelona vs Real Madrid, Boca Junior vs River Plate, Tottenham vs Arsenal, etc. - these rivalries are the driving force behind these sports. By "refreshing" things a bit you are destroying that rivalry, and you also destroy the relationships that players from 2 or 3 different servers have built while being on the same team. What the hell is wrong with you?

@Dawdler.8521 said:Funny comparison, considering soccer players move from team to team based on the highest bidder.

I was referring to those that support the teams, players are just a bunch of mercenaries, that come and go, they are like the gear that we buy and sell - few of them show club loyalty and retire with the same club where they started their carrier.

@Bogoris.4035 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Funny comparison, considering soccer players move from team to team based on the highest bidder.

I was referring to those that support the teams, players are just a bunch of mercenaries, that come and go, they are like the gear that we buy and sell - few of them show club loyalty and retire with the same club where they started their carrier.

Isn't that exactly what WvW has become though? The people who still feel some sort of server pride and swoon for it are the glorified spectators whereas the players who actually forms the culture of a server have long since turned mercenary B) .

Well, in short, the problem was that you can't play soccer with 5 players. So they put together a couple of teams with only 5-6 players, so they could actually play a match at all.

I've been in the bottom tiers before the linking, and for years we couldn't queue a single map, to the degree that we've always jokingly made the "outnumbered" icon the logo for our servers discord.

It really felt like playing a pvp match with 2 players vs a full team of 5, trying to somehow grab capture points.

I definitively don't think linking is perfect, nor did I ever think the server structure was perfect either. WvW is honestly a mess from the bottom structure up and will never be a competitive mode as it is. Infact the soccer compare is a good hint as to why it isn't working, to be competitive in any way an form the game needs some ground rules for fairness, like a set play time and x number of players.

Anyways, the best description I've found about WvW yet:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:o.o i dont want to retire in eu.Retire in the UK then, I hear they love sovereignty.

Either way if OP was refering to the
supporters
instead of the ones
actually playing
that makes the comparison all the more hilarious.

Because it shows that rivalry is just in the name they chant. Which seems rather shallow.

i dont want to lead in eu server. huhu. i'm too soft.

irl i love eu. <3 just sponsored my family to go there. they enjoyed it. =)

The only way I can see removing linking could possibly work, is to reduce to 1 map per match-up.

Possibly add another map if queue'd, but could likely just as well use EotM then, considering I doubt many servers could queue much anylonger (NA at least).

But that just means that majority of servers are bored in dead matches, where they'd find better action (but less rewards) in EotM. And coverage would be even more borked than it is.

• 3 weeks later...

@Bogoris.4035 said:The wvw is like the professional teams sport rivarly - Red Sox vs Yankees, Barcelona vs Real Madrid, Boca Junior vs River Plate, Tottenham vs Arsenal, etc. - these rivalries are the driving force behind these sports.

I wonder how much rivalry there would be if those teams played with uneven numbers. I'd like to see how a match would go with 7 on the pitch against 11. I'm sure it would just devolve into a riot rather than a sport. No professional team would condone such a match.

(This is why most fights guilds ended up divorcing their rivalries against each other from the servers they play on. Server rivalries are an illusion.)

i suggested in the past a similar to diablo 3 seasons.

every season, each of us will need to sign up for wvw thus allocated to server A B C and we start fresh. no advantage over each other, except probably our food and wvw gear.

we all got to work for ranks again but this time these are gotten more easier. and after each season, these are added to your original toon's rank.

think about it.

I am not trying to be kitten or anything. But there should be servers that are dedicated to WvW, and servers for PvP, PvE, or eRP, but seriously, being paired with a pve server on a low pop wvw server, it's demoralizing, and I will be damned if I will spend gems to hop servers due to wvw guilds and anet's intent on gaining a lot of money exploiting people at this point. For the devs that love wvw, I know it isn't your end game, so forgive me for the rant, but its how it feels at times.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Bogoris.4035 said:The wvw is like the professional teams sport rivarly - Red Sox vs Yankees, Barcelona vs Real Madrid, Boca Junior vs River Plate, Tottenham vs Arsenal, etc. - these rivalries are the driving force behind these sports.

I wonder how much rivalry there would be if those teams played with uneven numbers. I'd like to see how a match would go with 7 on the pitch against 11. I'm sure it would just devolve into a riot rather than a sport. No professional team would condone such a match.

(This is why most fights guilds ended up divorcing their rivalries against each other from the servers they play on. Server rivalries are an illusion.)

The primary source of fight guild rivalry stemmed from ehunnies. When one tried to poach a supposed ehunnie and both guilds ended up dead only to reemerge and reform with a combined roster.