Fashion Wars - where do you start?

As some others have said, it depends. Sometimes I'll see a weapon set such as Equinox and think, ooh, could make a beautiful black & white theme from that. Or I'll randomly get a weapon skin and build a look from its colors or elements (leaves, flames, etc.) Sometimes it's an armor piece that inspires me, sometimes it's someone in my guild who has a Star Wars look or other cool theme.

Usually I find one armor piece/weapon I like, maybe a backpack I feel like using because I like the theme. Then I first try to find a color scheme that would look good alongside it, then I look for armor skins that make a good combination AND that don't have absolutely awful texturing/dye channels. Some pieces turn colors a really weird and ugly shade and you have to find a different dye that has the actual look you are going for, often that makes me switch to a different piece entirely.

I change up my main a lot, mostly staying with darker colors, although I've used white + gold for a long time as well recently.

This is my Warrior right now for example. Quick screen I had flying around from character select. Just love the way the fabric from the Luminous set + the other heavy armor look combined.OGtsT9s.png

@"Blocki.4931" said:Usually I find one armor piece/weapon I like, maybe a backpack I feel like using because I like the theme. Then I first try to find a color scheme that would look good alongside it, then I look for armor skins that make a good combination AND that don't have absolutely awful texturing/dye channels. Some pieces turn colors a really weird and ugly shade and you have to find a different dye that has the actual look you are going for, often that makes me switch to a different piece entirely.

I change up my main a lot, mostly staying with darker colors, although I've used white + gold for a long time as well recently.

This is my Warrior right now for example. Quick screen I had flying around from character select. Just love the way the fabric from the Luminous set + the other heavy armor look combined.OGtsT9s.png

I like that a lot

@GummyBearSummoner.7941 said:

@"Moonlit.6421" said:I just find something I like then build around it. This could be a armor skin, weapon, infusion, or even a backpiece. I've made 45 characters so far because its what I enjoy doing in this game and I'm working on 2 more right now lol. I typically choose something I want to use and then work on finding a look to compliment it. My most recent looks revolve around the new Mythic Skins that you can get from the appearance packages in the game and the new Dreamwalker Staff Scythe skin. Heres a few of my boys below, apologies as I am terrible at taking good screenshots. TwT"

!
Cv8kNfw.jpg
!
TmRShYg.jpg
!
blttzVK.jpg
!
Bu62K2I.jpg
!
5ZRC7F9.jpg

I really love you characters look! Including your Asura (prob my favorite one since his scheme matches really nicely )

Aw thanks~ <3He's undergone a few changes but I actually ended up building him around the eyes when I found out that combining the Demon Masque starter item on Necromancer with certain eye features when creating a character could give him dragon eyes! >:3

!
XJk3mfk.jpg

I usually dress up NPC's like how you can do in Skyrim.However this game doesn't let you dress NPC's let alone have a housing instance of NPCs of your choice. Speaking of which housing is one of the things I consider fashion wars.Unfortunately people are very against housing in GW2, however they do not take into consideration of the millions of others, the 90% of the rest of the MMORPG population. Maybe the 90% is looking for a fashion war with housing.This is thread I made about housing if you want to see how fiercely people are against housing. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1213868#Comment_1213868

I would love to showcase my fashion with housing instance with a runway and have my NPCs walk it.

I need armor that fits the holosmith theme for my main, who is a Sylvari engineer.Finding fitting skins for an Asura would be easy, thanks to Asuran cultural armor pieces. But try to find something matching that aesthetic on other races. It's the horror!

And unfortunately, the Inquest set is no longer available. :(

I usually start with a RP idea and go from there, guided by a little common sense along with what's available in game. For example...

• My Charr Thief is a stealthy sniper, so she wears shadowy colors and nothing glowy, with Ash Legion weapon skins.
  • My Sylvari Guardian wears a mix of Maguuma and Leystone pieces with Caladbolg and the Wayfarer's Henge backpack -- very natural.

And then there's the times when an idea just strikes so I go with it, like my SAB themed Asura Warrior. With a little dye tweaking, the Virtual Box goggles match the Asura racial T3 armor set perfectly. Throw in a Super Backpack and glider and Glitched weapons, and it's time to go pillaging for baubles...what do you mean the baubles out here aren't real? I can see them just fine with these goggles...

cxioLcg.jpg