Is Guild Wars 2 Pay2win?

1 hour ago, deplorable.4721 said:

yes, you want flying mount - buy expansion, finish expansion spend 250 gold.

that's a pay to win right there, even if you don't go that method and aim for collections extra time plus 50-60 gold.

pay to win. as soon as you can buy gold... it's pretty much what it is.. hell even if you buy all the expansions that's still only 50% of content.... then living worlds etc.. it's all just a money sink..... -shudders-

You're mixing up bits of info on two different mounts. There are none where you can pay to skip the process of unlocking them, but all except the raptor cost some gold as part of the process.

If you want the griffon it's not a choice, you have to buy 10 items which cost 25g each (for a total cost of 250g) but you also have to complete the rest of the collections. You're not paying to bypass anything (and also can't choose not to spend the gold).

The skyscale does let you use crafted items to bypass one of the several collections required, but you still have to complete all the other parts, and if you want to skip that collection (which is mostly jumping puzzles and world bosses) without paying other players for the treats you need you can gather materials and craft them yourself. The other collections also cost 41g in total (and a lot of map materials) but like the griffon you don't have to pay it all in one go, it's several small payments throughout the collections.

Or you can unlock the skyscale in SotO which costs 15g plus various crafting materials and map currencies, but again you have to complete the collections, there's no option to pay to bypass it.

(As for paying to get expansions and DLC, that's not pay to win, that's just...buying a game.)

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

I would say yes.

elite specs, numerous boosters and time-saving convenience items, buying gold directly... these are all pay to win.

if you can spend real money and get a time or combat benefit over someone who didn't spend any extra money then that is literally the definition of pay-to-win.

GW2 is not extreme pay-to-win but it is nonetheless clearly there in plain sight.

Unless you would describe any game with a purchase price as "Pay-to-Win", expansions/DLC are more accurately described as a "buy-to-play" model.  You have a limited free version and in order to access the full-featured game you have to purchase it. 

The rest is a bit subjective.  Is buying bag space for convenience "P2W"?  It could be.  If, for example, you started with one bag with 10 slots that would make it extremely inconvenient to play the game normally.  But what is acceptable?  20 slots? 50? 100?  I personally wouldn't describe GW2 as P2W because I can't think of a single thing they sell in the cash shop that you must have in order to play the game normally.  It's all convenience, reasonably priced, and the inconvenience of not having it is very minor.  But I do concede the point that this is a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Or you can unlock the skyscale in SotO which costs 15g plus various crafting materials and map currencies, but again you have to complete the collections, there's no option to pay to bypass it.

(As for paying to get expansions and DLC, that's not pay to win, that's just...buying a game.)

Exactly.  When I first started, I had to buy the core game, but there was - and is - no monthly fee. Everything in the gem store is optional. They sell mount, armor, and weapon skins. They do not sell mounts, armor, or weapons.  

The flying mounts are optional.  I still do not have a skyscale or griffon, and I do not care if I get one.  I am using one in SotO, but do not care if I get one for outside the new maps (I might buy it, but it is not worth the work to grind for it - to me).

We pay to buy the expansions, but that is not pay to play or play to win. It is just buying a game. 😎

• Like 3
  • Sad 1