Rangers again

welch.2785

10 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

So I just started to play ranger in WvW two weeks ago and I don't think it is bad at all. While you are not as good as revenant in zerging you can always help with ranged and safe damage with longbow and hunt those who are away from the enemy zerg.

Very good mobility for roaming, hunting and running, and very good combinations of bursts and CC.

While I did not play druid, I have faced permaroot druids or trapper druids. They are disgusting to play against and make excellent duelers and roamers. 

So I doubt rangers are useless in WvW, perhaps they just don't match your gameplay expectations and therefore you should try another classes. I did the same with my underperforming warrior and that's how I started to play ranger.

I'm curious about this gameplay idea. Could you share more about it? Traits, gear, etc...

Soulbeast isn't actually bad. Unlike Herald or Scourge, it doesn't cover multiple roles that make a squad. Coordinated with a squad, Soulbeast has really high melee burst damage or can bring CC and utility. Not really both. Herald brings high ranged and melee damage, boons, stab, DR, some cc, ss. Scourge brings ranged and melee damage and boon corruption, and some barrier. (additionally can build for more damage or more boon corruption). 

Most groups already bring Chronos and Spellbreakers which cover CC and boon strips. Weaver and Dh having range make them better purer dps  choices. Soulbeast Holo Berserker Daredevil ect can all be great in group fights. But unless you have 50+, you need the other meta classes to really compete with groups that do. 

If you insist on longbow, please barrage defenders siege if you are with a group attacking a objective. Literally the most useful thing you could do. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

It's a moronic build , you literally need 2-3 scrappers+FB+scourge+tempest to hold your hand with every step...otherwise you're a free lootbag 

It has zero chance of survival if used alongside a pug zerg and that's the issue! Unless you run that sort of "build" with your buddy GvG guild carrying your kitten piggyback , the spec is never requested or necessary for any zerg

P.S no tag ever turn back and try to save those running that build, no mesmer or ele ressing for you either, I target and kill with ease all the immobi soulB tryhard, most times even before they get to clash ....I am more useful with a sniper build at this point 

Fully agreed, All those EmmoBeast builds  is a pity attempt to give something somehow useful to the ranger, in the line of though "well if they are going to go with ranger let's make them die fast so they don't interfere in the fight".  It is true they are the first to die anyway. 

Which really enrages me having in mind that stance sharing could be a thing in Anet decides to gives to the ranger a role in zergs. 

20 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

They specifically removed all the traits ranger could use to deal with the reflect/block spam so I doubt they will ever re-introduce something similar, Anet never gives back what they take away, having hope in the new EoD elite is the only chance for ranger to get something viable for zerg fights., it will probably have access to shouts

Let's hope they don't add shouts back as specialization utilities.. I'm a bit bored already of shouts like mechanics with Glyphs and Stances. They nerfed support ranger just because, fine. I think i'm right to think we are used to that already.

But don't bother to bring such a boring mechanic as shouts.

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NuhDah.9812 said:

Aaah, rangers: 

People still link these trash videos...there you go

I can do that on every class...anybody knows it...but some sad one still link their silly sic'em video in an attempt to prove something...

Funny in the following video you see a sic'em ranger getting killed by a thief...ha yes, montage videos are all about those 10 times out of 100 you don't die on your glass cannon build.

Guess what? If you go full zerk gear...you get to oneshot people, only difference other professions don't need a 60s CD elite to accomplish that

7 hours ago, conquistator.6549 said:

I actually disagree on the immobbeast part as I think it is viable. Here's a vid on that with arcdps installed to see what this build could do in comparison to other meta class. 

You realize none of your immob landed, right? 

At that point you would have provided more for the squad with a herald. 

Correction: you caught one with the initial pull. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
smol correction.
  • Confused 1

Actually not sure if you realize but if you watch closely you can see lots of instance that people get caught in immob, there's 3 skills in total. However, my main point isn't just for the immob but the fact that this can have enough dps similar to other meta class. While it is true other meta also provide other stuff than just dps, this build also provides immob, cleanse and stab as well. Another point for this is that it can create down on the first push in a relatively regular basis and that, as anyone who do zerg fight knows, is one of the key advantage thing in a fight.

5 hours ago, conquistator.6549 said:

Actually not sure if you realize but if you watch closely you can see lots of instance that people get caught in immob, there's 3 skills in total. However, my main point isn't just for the immob but the fact that this can have enough dps similar to other meta class. While it is true other meta also provide other stuff than just dps, this build also provides immob, cleanse and stab as well. Another point for this is that it can create down on the first push in a relatively regular basis and that, as anyone who do zerg fight knows, is one of the key advantage thing in a fight.

My opinion on Soulbeast is already posted above but this video isn't a good argument.

From what I could see, your group with pugs in your SMC lords only killed ~6 people by the time you used your 3 immob skills. No one you targeted had immob so its usefulness in this fight is questionable. Your first Entangle missed (pause at :40s) because you are hitting a group actively booning up, complete waste of a 60s CD. 

Overall damage is really low, that herald is the only notable damage and would have done better with a FB or Scrapper instead of a stance share ranger since your FB wasn't on tag. No one on your arc was doing damage their class should be. Your groups first hit from stealth had 3 people do meh damage (out of the 12 damage classes in squad), the downs were just as likely to be from pugs as your group. 

This video shows you outnumbering a group, in your SMC, that you stealth hit and still took 2+ minutes to kill. I'd say the only reason you look somewhat useful in this video is because the rest of your squad is asleep. 

19 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

People still link these trash videos...there you go

I can do that on every class...anybody knows it...but some sad one still link their silly sic'em video in an attempt to prove something...

Funny in the following video you see a sic'em ranger getting killed by a thief...ha yes, montage videos are all about those 10 times out of 100 you don't die on your glass cannon build.

Guess what? If you go full zerk gear...you get to oneshot people, only difference other professions don't need a 60s CD elite to accomplish that

Just wanted to showcase that rangers are not useless and can be really effective. Sure, the video is a bit of an extreme example, but it answers any concerns about ranger the op had.

8 hours ago, conquistator.6549 said:

Then you did not understand why ranger is not wanted on squads and what makes a class meta in wvw.

wvw is not pve and dps is not that important, the important thing  is what the build can bring for the group. In case of the ranger almost nothing. 

And you didn’t , you did pull just one at the beginning of the fight, your muddy terrain was blocked and your entangle did not stop anybody for a second. I would not call that a successful immob build. 

• Confused 1

Sry but after almost 8 yrs of playing this game, almost all pvp and wvw i can honestly say 98% of rangers in wvw don't really know enough about their class or how to play it any further than sic em,  knock back and rapid to be able to say whether ranger is op or underperforming and its usually from the safety of a wall lol. even when not on a wall its always the same 3 key presses. If u play wvw solid for a week strait u may see 1 ranger in those 7 days swap out of lb to other weapon kits, let a lone do well with them. Rangers are top tier in wvw in every situation BUT in zerg fights and even then they can delete the hp of squishy targets and 50% of tanky targets with just those 3 key presses if the chose thier targets wisely, like targets on outskirts of zergs are are tailing along them, just as DE can. Honestly if the reworked ranger to have a significant impact on zergs those three key presses i mentioned above would definitely need toned down one way or another, than what are most of u gonna do when ur forced to actually learn more than pew pew lol.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107