help, my pet is dumb

medivh.4725

On 5/29/2021 at 7:34 AM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Was your pet dead at the time?

Pet seem disinterested

Idling means not dead.  Pet very much alive staring into space, not knowing what to do. To add insult to injury, as I fall to enemy attack and was reaching for help. The pet appears disinterested.

Pet behaviour or Pet AI need work

If I have to bring a pet into battlefield, it better be trained to know what to do,. else it is just going to be a liability. A hurt pet should show slowness in movement. Similar to how wildlifes should behave. Pet should guard or instinctively protect owner and not stand idle as pet owner gets attacked.

Druid have no link to pet

There seem a disconnect with druid doing the druid things, and pet doing the pet things. This elite specialization has not enhanced or changed the pet fighting system. 

Edited by medivh.4725
  • Confused 1

1. If your Pet is "dead" it will not dissappear or lie down on the ground. It will go passive and do absolutely nothing. To prevent that, swap pets regularly.

On the othserside it could be that your pet is set to avoid combat. On the pet panel on your skill bar you can see how your pets combat settings are situated. This means if it guards yourmand attacks anything on sight, or if it just attacks stuff on command (F1).

As a bonus: if you want condition centered gameplay with the bow. Take a look at shortbow. It might covers that need for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, medivh.4725 said:

Ranger Bow no condi

Also I am left frustrated as the ranger long bow attacks have no condi elements. No poison, bleeding. Whatsoever. I think they are like thieves and they fight with poisoned weapons?  Of my 8 different class, I am having least fun with the bow ranger. 

Longbow is for power.

Shortbow is for condi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's an option (which should be enabled by default) to have your pet 'guard'--use it. 

The option to have your pet on standby / ignore what is attacking you is mostly for desynch strategies (attack something, command your pet to attack something else) but I'm not sure who ever does this outside of me lol.

Also Druid may be a bit advanced for you atm; there certainly is synergy with the pet--use pets that CC to trigger ancient seeds is the biggest one.  

I'd say learn the core mechanics of the Ranger: how to command your pet, what pet skills do, what the function of the actual weapons are...THEN move on to the forums and topic making.  

On 5/29/2021 at 12:13 AM, medivh.4725 said:

So I got attacked in PvE and my pet idling right besides me?
Sack the pet already, come on!

If you  play PvE from some time ago you will realize your pet does not target automatically mobs.  and stay idle around you, like it is in passive mode. 

It only happens with PvE mobs in any content, i haven't notice with pvp players although i can't say it doesn't happen, with pvp i usually use F1 to pick the target. 

This seems to be a bug related to the new incoming spec, the devs probably changed something behind the curtains and said nothing. My advice would be for you to open a thread in the bugs subforum although they only read those when they need to nerf something. 

Edited by anduriell.6280

On 5/30/2021 at 1:32 AM, InsaneQR.7412 said:

1. If your Pet is "dead" it will not dissappear or lie down on the ground. It will go passive and do absolutely nothing. To prevent that, swap pets regularly.

On the othserside it could be that your pet is set to avoid combat. On the pet panel on your skill bar you can see how your pets combat settings are situated. This means if it guards yourmand attacks anything on sight, or if it just attacks stuff on command (F1).

As a bonus: if you want condition centered gameplay with the bow. Take a look at shortbow. It might covers that need for you.

I tried the shortbow and has everything I talked about. Guess that is anet's seperation of the 2, long and short bows. Now iI have a built that switch the 2 bows. Perfect.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:46 AM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Maybe the pet just doesn’t like you? Lol

Didn't like me at all. Didn't want anything to do with me. 

On 5/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Was it a cat? I've got a cat at home and what you describe is it's typical behaviour.

Strange but I brough along a primed tiger when it wants to behave like a kitten. I have a chinchilla pet which is a rodent and it hides when there is loud noise or many people. I thought I brought a Apex predator to accompany the ranger, now I should check if the rodent setting is on ;D

On 5/30/2021 at 3:51 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

There's an option (which should be enabled by default) to have your pet 'guard'--use it. 

The ranger menu could have been F4 for [Guard] or [Stay] then F5 for [Swap Pet]. Instead I have a button that needs manual mouse clicking. No 'F' buttons assigned on so it is not intuitive. 

The avoid combat stance is just unneccessary, just keep the pet. And let it on guard 24/7. Then 1 less button to click at. This simplies the fight system

Edited by medivh.4725

Not a fan of ranger, however my pets have never seemed idle at all. It attacks when I want and comes when called. Maybe pve environment has some kind of bug, I know a small bump on the ground is sometimes counted as obstruction for some reason. Anyway I think you need to be more alert when controlling the pet, learn to position it better and learn to use the pet commands properly. Saying that I have only used the pet as a soulbeast, that might affect how things work 🤷‍♂️

Edited by asterix.9614