Hard Mode, Heroic Mode, Ect...

Dyfinz.2348

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:As long as it did not provide anything extra, I would be fine with a hard-mode put in for people that just like to challenge themselves.

@Ohoni.6057 said:I wouldn't mind seeing them add hard mode options, so long as it didn't make more/better loot available.

That would be an amazing train-wreck to watch. Not a single game designer would do that of-course but gw2 is special so there is hope.

Eh? I can name two Top title MMO's that already do this.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:As long as it did not provide anything extra, I would be fine with a hard-mode put in for people that just like to challenge themselves.

Well more mobs would mean more loot ...

Fair point, in theory it would mean more chances at loot.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:I wouldn't mind seeing them add hard mode options, so long as it didn't make more/better loot available.

Which would mean "Don't make it whatsoever".

Picture this:Queensdale. Shadow Behemoth. Hard Mode.Now it's going to be the same fight, just harder with maybe new attacks and doing more damage and more HP.Same exact loot like the normal one.Now except for those that's in it just for the challenge, how many people would be interested in really doing a longer battled Shadow Behemoth for the same reward?Already have people who refuse to play with certain people in fractals/raids because it takes too long. Not sure which audience they would be catering to do more work for the same pay as someone who does little work and get the same payment in the end.

Hey, people keep asking for hard mode. If they want hard mode, if there's demand for it, then that's fine, give it to them. If they just want better loot than other people get, then they should ask for that instead, and be refused.

The expectation in games that assign loot for completing challenges is that higher levels of challenge equate to more/better rewards. This is why world bosses drop better loot than deer, and why deer drop better loot than rats.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

Picture this:Queensdale. Shadow Behemoth. Hard Mode.Now it's going to be the same fight, just harder with maybe new attacks and doing more damage and more HP.Same exact loot like the normal one.Now except for those that's in it just for the challenge, how many people would be interested in really doing a longer battled Shadow Behemoth for the same reward?Already have people who refuse to play with certain people in fractals/raids because it takes too long. Not sure which audience they would be catering to do more work for the same pay as someone who does little work and get the same payment in the end.

Hey, people keep asking for hard mode. If they want hard mode, if there's demand for it, then that's fine, give it to them. If they just want better loot than other people get, then they should ask for that instead, and be refused.

The expectation in games that assign loot for completing challenges is that higher levels of challenge equate to more/better rewards. This is why world bosses drop better loot than deer, and why deer drop better loot than rats.

Be that as it may, asking for "better loot" under disguise of "More Challenge" is blantently dishonest. I know of one game that did exactly that, ,gave players more challenge and no added rewards, after all, they said they wanted challenge, if they just wanted more or better loot, then they should have been honest and asked for that instead.

Keep in mind that, the Lich is MUCH harder then the Horror.. yet, both drop the same loot.

It might be worth pointing out that increasing the loot while simultaneously increasing the challenge, effort, and time investment to get that loot means that the ratio of effort/time to rewards can remain the same.

And there is nothing at all dishonest about asking for one's rewards to not be reduced by participating in more difficult content that takes longer to complete.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

Be that as it may, asking for "better loot" under disguise of "More Challenge" is blantently dishonest. I know of one game that did exactly that, ,gave players more challenge and no added rewards, after all, they said they wanted challenge, if they just wanted more or better loot, then they should have been honest and asked for that instead.

Keep in mind that, the Lich is MUCH harder then the Horror.. yet, both drop the same loot.

Phrasing it like this somehow insinuates that the loot is the primary motivator. The primary motivator is "I would like to do harder content and would like that content to feel rewarding if I can complete it" not "I just want more loot"

And yes, the Lich/Horror example of how they stack up to each other, and even worse how they stack up to just killing a bunch of normal mobs in the area is a great example of poor loot assignment and is precisely why "skipping vis/lich" is the most popular way to do the lab. Its not that people don't want to do the content. Its that the game doesn't feel like its valuing the player's effort when it pays out as much for killing more challenging boss enemies as skipping it entirely and just killing some plastic spiders in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the danger of failure.

People don't just want more loot. People want loot appropriate to the content they're doing. When they don't get it, they'll do the content once or twice just for fun but part of the long term motivation for killing enemies in a loot based game is in fact the loot. It's a basic paradigm of loot based games. Potential loot is part of the fun of doing the content.

Nobody's complaining random deer and choya don't drop enough loot because the reward feels appropriate for the task.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

Is that the case or is it just a difference in RNG formula? I got an exotic drop from a dolyak which, trust me, wasn't much of a challenge.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

Is that the case or is it just a difference in RNG formula? I got an exotic drop from a dolyak which, trust me, wasn't much of a challenge.

By better loot, in this example, I think that he means on average. Sure you can get that exotic from a dolly, but on average, champions (for example) give better drops.

I thought about a few ideas to keep it all on one server, and not split up the population.

With this idea the foes would not attack faster or move faster.

How about an optional hard mode/heroic mode as an effect on the player that has reached certain level + AP points?

Under this effect:

• Player would recieve double damage.
  • Foes apply conditions/more stacks if already previously (on the player under this effect)
  • Healing for the player reduced by 25%
  • Allies not under this effect could not provide boons to the player
  • Damage from the player reduced by 25%
  • All hearts, poi's, vistas repeatable once
  • Dying more than x times under this effect will remove the effect and put on cooldown for x minutes or x hours.

The reward could be just more APs or titles....maybe a AP grind reward?

@Dyfinz.2348 said:I thought about a few ideas to keep it all on one server, and not split up the population.

How about an optional hard mode/heroic mode as an effect on the player that has reached certain level + AP points?

Under this effect:

• Foes apply conditions/more stacks if already previously (on the player under this effect)

Something like this may be more likely than a separate HM instance, but would be less appealing to me. Simply scaling the numbers isnt as satisfying, to me, as foes that are better designed to provide a challenge via AI, build, group composition/synergy, etc.

Still, kudos for your suggestion.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

Phrasing it like this somehow insinuates that the loot is the primary motivator. The primary motivator is "I would like to do harder content and would like that content to feel rewarding if I can complete it" not "I just want more loot"

And yes, the Lich/Horror example of how they stack up to each other, and even worse how they stack up to just killing a bunch of normal mobs in the area is a great example of poor loot assignment and is precisely why "skipping vis/lich" is the most popular way to do the lab. Its not that people don't want to do the content. Its that the game doesn't feel like its valuing the player's effort when it pays out as much for killing more challenging boss enemies as skipping it entirely and just killing some plastic spiders in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the danger of failure.

People don't just want more loot. People want loot appropriate to the content they're doing. When they don't get it, they'll do the content once or twice just for fun but part of the long term motivation for killing enemies
in a loot based game is in fact the loot. It's a basic paradigm of loot based games.
Potential loot is part of the fun of doing the content.

Thank, You just made it perfectly clear that loot is the ONLY motivator, as by your own admission, its not the challenge that is inspiring people to do the content.

All anyone is asking is that you be honest about your real intentions.. you want exclusive content with rewards only you can get. Lets not sugar coat it.

@Ashen.2907 said:It might be worth pointing out that increasing the loot while simultaneously increasing the challenge, effort, and time investment to get that loot means that the ratio of effort/time to rewards can remain the same.

And there is nothing at all dishonest about asking for one's rewards to not be reduced by participating in more difficult content that takes longer to complete.

Why bother?

I mean that really, if your still going to play the game with the mentality of gold/hour, what difference does it make how hard or easy the content is, you're just there for the loot anyway, as such, ,Anet might as well put in a big red button in lions arch that you could push endlessly for loot and AP.

@Dyfinz.2348 said:I thought about a few ideas to keep it all on one server, and not split up the population.

Under this effect:

• Dying more than x times under this effect will remove the effect and put on cooldown for x minutes or x hours.

I gave this idea some thought...and now it would seem pointless.

Why?

Just go to a higher level area as a low level character and wham...hard mode. Only thing missing would be better loot, and achievements, but it would seem that the "community" does not care to see it in any shape or form.I am out of ideas...for now.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:It might be worth pointing out that increasing the loot while simultaneously increasing the challenge, effort, and time investment to get that loot means that the ratio of effort/time to rewards can remain the same.

Why bother?

I mean that really, if your still going to play the game with the mentality of gold/hour, what difference does it make how hard or easy the content is, you're just there for the loot anyway, as such, ,Anet might as well put in a big red button in lions arch that you could push endlessly for loot and AP.

Nope.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Sounds like a ton of work for ANet, when there are so, so many other things we want from them. And, as others have pointed out: we already have harder open-world content that doesn't seem to appeal to the casual-minded player; it's hard to imagine that this has enough appeal to make it worth diverting resources.

Good point, they tried that Hard Mode with HoT, that went.. oh right.. that was followed by a QoL update to fix that Hard Mode problem.

Yeah that's fair. If the new content is more time consuming then it can offer better loot under optimal conditions, so long as ten hours playing the new content would end up providing equal amounts as playing ten hours of the original version, that's fine. If that's not good enough to keep "hard mode" players playing, then they aren't as "hard mode" as they thought.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

People don't just want more loot. People want loot appropriate to the content they're doing. When they don't get it, they'll do the content once or twice just for fun but part of the long term motivation for killing enemies
in a loot based game is in fact the loot. It's a basic paradigm of loot based games.

Thank, You just made it perfectly clear that
loot is the ONLY motivator,
as by your own admission, its not the challenge that is inspiring people to do the content.

All anyone is asking is that you be honest about your real intentions.. you want exclusive content with rewards only you can get. Lets not sugar coat it.

The primary motivator is "I would like to do harder content and would like that content to feel rewarding if I can complete it"

Are you telling me that earning loot is not part of the reason you complete content? Didn't you make a thread asking for a pity completion for the clock tower? Why would you need a pity completion if the loot doesn't interest you, you only do content for the pure enjoyment, and you don't enjoy the content? In your thread you are literally asking to be compensated for running the content, only in this case you're asking that you be awarded the prize for completing it without actually completing it. Just as getting that achievement and skins are a motivator to do content for you, loot is part of the motivation for all other players to do content. For some it is the only motivation, but for most it is a combination of loot and the actual mechanics of said content. It's a pretty standard fixture in video game design.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

as by your own admission, its not the challenge that is inspiring people to do the content.

The primary motivator is "I would like to do harder content and would like that content to feel rewarding if I can complete it"

Are you telling me that earning loot is not part of the reason you complete content? Didn't you make a thread asking for a pity completion for the clock tower? Why would you need a pity completion if the loot doesn't interest you, you only do content for the pure enjoyment, and you don't enjoy the content? In your thread you are literally asking to be compensated for running the content, only in this case you're asking that you be awarded the prize for completing it without actually completing it. Just as getting that achievement and skins are a motivator to do content for you, loot is part of the motivation for all other players to do content. For some it is the only motivation, but for most it is a combination of loot and the actual mechanics of said content. It's a pretty standard fixture in video game design.

In my personal case, not always.Many times I complete things for exp.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

Are you telling me that earning loot is not part of the reason you complete content?

Are Asking you Me Directly?

LOL, I used to play WvW when it was a net loss. In fact, anyone that used to play WvW up till a little after HoT with the additon of reward track and the like, used to play that content for love of the game, not loot, but love of the fights and challenges.

So yah.. there was a whole population of this game that would play hard, often overwhelmingly hard due to sever stacking, just for the sheer fun of playing that content.

So again, good to know that loot is your only motivator, while you are not alone, you do not speak for everyone, and by and large, you do not speak for the PvP crowed at all.

Didn't you make a thread asking for a pity completion for the clock tower? Why would you need a pity completion if the loot doesn't interest you, you only do content for the pure enjoyment,

I explained (several times over) that I simply wanted to save myself the tedium of grinding up tailoring, (but.. since I don't have PoF I had to craft the pants anyway) so it manly a moot topic. funny to see how much salt was generated and I might add, STILL being generated.. but moot none the less.

Hard Mode would not be impossible in GW2 for areas bordering to the six cities and maps where a PUG may travel as a group.

For everyone saying use lesser armor or weapons for the challenge ... that only affects your personal play, but does not account for the AI of the monsters you encounter. Hard mode also allows them to attack faster, more often, and equip skills they would not normally use.

The additional rare/exotic or even ascended item drops in an open world setting would set people to exploring areas they may not think twice about.Imagine if some of the best loot came from a sunken ship that was surrounded by krait? Would you sharpen you spears and tridents and give it a go? or just say "I really don't like underwater combat, so I'll pass"?

@STIHL.2489 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

That would be an amazing train-wreck to watch. Not a single game designer would do that of-course but gw2 is special so there is hope.

Name them. And the type of content.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

Since you asked.

Dungeons and Dragons Online. MMO, mainly Instance based dungeons and raids, with some minor 'open world' areas. It's F2P and pretty much one of the first major MMO's to go F2P. It set the stage for most other MMO's to follow. Feel free to check it out. It followers 3ed rules and has one of the most diverse build systems of any MMO out, and I assure, if you enjoy dungeon and raid content, you will not be let down.

Trove. don't let the voxel graphics fool you, it is a very open sandbox MMO with all the features you wish other MMOs had, everything from damn near endless Open World content with meta events like massive dragon fights, to grinding dragon mounts, as well as Instance based raid like content. It's also free to play, so drop on down and give it a try. Since in Trove, you need to get to around 16K power, before you start to see the horizontal loot for increased difficulty, it might be a bit before it dawns on you how the game is set up.

Both of these MMO's have released multiple expansions, so they are doing quite well.

Believe it or not.. I've been around a bit.. played a few other games.. ya know.. maybe I know what I am talking about.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

Since you asked.

. MMO, mainly Instance based dungeons and raids, with some minor 'open world' areas. It's F2P and pretty much one of the first major MMO's to go F2P. It set the stage for most other MMO's to follow. Feel free to check it out. It followers 3ed rules and has one of the most diverse build systems of any MMO out, and I assure, if you enjoy dungeon and raid content, you will not be let down.

. don't let the voxel graphics fool you, it is a very open sandbox MMO with all the features you wish other MMOs had, everything from kitten near endless Open World content with meta events like massive dragon fights, to grinding dragon mounts, as well as Instance based raid like content. It's also free to play, so drop on down and give it a try. Since in Trove, you need to get to around 16K power, before you start to see the horizontal loot for increased difficulty, it might be a bit before it dawns on you how the game is set up.

Both of these MMO's have released multiple expansions, so they are doing quite well.

Believe it or not.. I've been around a bit.. played a few other games.. ya know.. maybe I know what I am talking about.

To be fair, as much as I thought DDO had a lot going for it, and I did enjoy it, I wouldn't necessarily call it a top title MMO.