Thoughts on the calculated timing of EoD

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

People have been saying that since before GW2 came out, and they say it about all the other MMOs and many single-player games too. There's always something someone is looking forward to so much they're sure it will be a massive success and huge numbers of people will stop playing everything else to move to the new game.

Even on the very, very rare occasions a game is that successful it's impact on the competition is actually fairly minimal. For example Ultima Online, Everquest and Runescape all managed to retain players, keep going and keep releasing new content through the launch of World and Warcraft, and all the games which followed it.

Very true, except many of those companies did not have 100+ employees laid off all at once, lose their Game Director (ANet still has that as a position listing on their careers page btw), have virtually zero marketing and be relatively quiet in regards to the future and direction of the game with their own communities. Sure we'll see more info soon about the expansion but...how much they actually show is unknown and if it will actually achieve what it needs to achieve is also unknown.

I said it in my post before, this is not like all those previous years. Things are different. Circumstances are different, especially considering ANet is likely on watch with NCSoft. I said this before a long while ago, but NCSoft has "reshuffled" a company similarly to what they did with ANet back during those layoffs. The exact same thing happened to Carbine, which ran Wildstar; they had a mass of layoffs as a part of a larger "reorganization", a year later Carbine started hiring for jobs associated with an unannounced title, year after that Carbine was shut down. I'm pretty sure things happened similarly with Paragon Studios before they were inevitably shut down. Now to me that looks familiar.

If EoD doesn't deliver on a lot of things, and a lot of needed changes and if ANet doesn't get its player retention up with the expansion as well as actually market for once then things might be looking more bleak than many here might want to admit. As much grief as I may give to ANet and GW2 these days this is still a franchise I was loyal to for 15 years and I still love it, thats why I get so frustrated with them, and I would not want to see ANet get shut down and Guild Wars go away. Even WoW is seeing probably its arguably lowest point in its long, long history due to loss of faith in the devs and the foul ups over the years and just only recently as well with the last expansion. GW2 is younger than WoW, but the Guild Wars franchise is just as old as WoW and ANet managed to achieve in 8 years what took an Activision owned Blizzard 15 years to achieve. Thats a big yikes to me.

These are just my personal perspectives, of course, so you're welcome to disagree but honestly I just feel like there needs to be a rational counter to the blind optimism that many people on these forums like to shove around rather forcefully.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Very true, except many of those companies did not have 100+ employees laid off all at once, lose their Game Director (ANet still has that as a position listing on their careers page btw), have virtually zero marketing and be relatively quiet in regards to the future and direction of the game with their own communities. Sure we'll see more info soon about the expansion but...how much they actually show is unknown and if it will actually achieve what it needs to achieve is also unknown.

They added 100 employees after PoF, so losing them just put them back to where they started. They haven't "been quiet" about the future of the game; they specifically said it's not going anywhere.

It's not blind optimism, you're just out of touch with the GW2 community now that you are hooked to BDO or whatever else.

Edited by Mortifera.6138
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Speak for yourself, lol. We've been waiting months for even the smallest of information.

I almost didn't include that because I know most players, at least on the forum anyway, have been around long enough to have already accomplished pretty much anything they'd want to hehe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Really?  Is the consensus November?

What if the Devs decide/have decided to release 2 Episodes per week?

No one really knows what is to happen, or when any releases might be forthcoming. 

And, the Devs don't take off for Thanksgiving, other than the Friday after.

The Christmas holiday starts right before Christmas and ends right after New Year's Day. 

Wait I thought LWS3 will be released with 2 ep per week just like lws2 or it's gonna be just one/week?

11 minutes ago, Eva.3629 said:

Wait I thought LWS3 will be released with 2 ep per week just like lws2 or it's gonna be just one/week?

It appears to be one a week for LS3 and LS4. If you look at the meta achievement they added there are 4 tiers one for each Season from 2-4 and one for the Icebrood Saga.

The first tier has 4 weeks which matches the LS2 releases we've had.

Tier 2 has 6 weeks for LS3. The reward for completing tier 2 is the precursor token they told us we'd get for LS2 and LS3.

Tier 3 also has 6 weeks for LS4.

Tier 4 has 8 weeks for Icebrood Saga (somehow). The reward for tier 4 is the legendary amulet.

Without Intermissions that means a minimum of 20 more weeks before this LS recap event is complete. No way of knowing how long it will take with Intermissions.

2 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

It appears to be one a week for LS3 and LS4. If you look at the meta achievement they added there are 4 tiers one for each Season from 2-4 and one for the Icebrood Saga.

The first tier has 4 weeks which matches the LS2 releases we've had.

Tier 2 has 6 weeks for LS3. The reward for completing tier 2 is the precursor token they told us we'd get for LS2 and LS3.

Tier 3 also has 6 weeks for LS4.

Tier 4 has 8 weeks for Icebrood Saga (somehow). The reward for tier 4 is the legendary amulet.

Without Intermissions that means a minimum of 20 more weeks before this LS recap event is complete. No way of knowing how long it will take with Intermissions.

Oh lord, and I thought that it was just about ls2 and 3, it s actually ls4 and the icebrood saga. But I just finished like the whole story for lws4 and icebrood saga when they will be in spotlight I will have to replay them? oh my😵

10 hours ago, Pacificterror.7805 said:

I almost didn't include that because I know most players, at least on the forum anyway, have been around long enough to have already accomplished pretty much anything they'd want to hehe.

You're definitely not the only one who hasn't done everything, or even finished all the things they want to do. I just assume I'm never going to get through my GW2 'to do' list and allow it to constantly change based on what I want to do at the moment. I was going to start on a legendary weapon after Wintersday, decided to do some sorter goals first and found so many things to do (some of which weren't that short) that I was still working on that when the Living Story replay started up, and now I've fallen behind on that too...

Although I'm also looking forward to getting more info on EoD and will probably buy it when it comes out so I can do the new story, explore the new maps and add even more stuff to my to-do list. 😄

(It's not just GW2 either, I'm annoyed that Breath of the Wild 2 isn't coming out until next year even though I only got a Switch in May so I'm only about 1/2 way through my second 'definitive' playthrough and not at all ready for a sequel. Not to mention all the other games I want to play as well.)

15 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

They added 100 employees after PoF, so losing them just put them back to where they started. They haven't "been quiet" about the future of the game; they specifically said it's not going anywhere.

It's not blind optimism, you're just out of touch with the GW2 community now that you are hooked to BDO or whatever else.

I'm not on BDO, but sure okay yeah I'm not logging in anymore on GW2. Haven't for over a year now. I've stated my reasons for that before. As for my reference as to them being quiet about the future of the game I did not mean "if it will still be around" I meant what they are doing with it. Updates, content, changes, balancing. Sure, we could learn more with the showcase of EoD in July, but we still know next to nothing about what EoD will bring with it and EoD is pretty much the only thing they have talked about in regards to things in the future in the last year plus outside of "We're going to finish the current living story"; and those releases are going "so well" that even WoodenPotatoes is leaning more heavily on the side of "what even is ANet doing?"

It doesn't take much to still be "in the know" with the GW2 community because much like the game itself, not much changes with this community and not much has changed with ANet these last few years with how they operate. Its why I lack practically any faith that EoD will provide what it probably needs to provide to prove its longevity beyond this point with all of the MMOs coming later this year; again just in the next 4 to 5 months. More options than ever, many of which will likely be marketing and advertising more in the next 2 months than ANet has marketed and advertised in the last 5 years; and they'll do it better too, anyone else remember that bizarre PoF launch trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noh81HcovYY

1 hour ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

I'm not on BDO, but sure okay yeah I'm not logging in anymore on GW2. Haven't for over a year now. I've stated my reasons for that before. As for my reference as to them being quiet about the future of the game I did not mean "if it will still be around" I meant what they are doing with it. Updates, content, changes, balancing. Sure, we could learn more with the showcase of EoD in July, but we still know next to nothing about what EoD will bring with it and EoD is pretty much the only thing they have talked about in regards to things in the future in the last year plus outside of "We're going to finish the current living story"; and those releases are going "so well" that even WoodenPotatoes is leaning more heavily on the side of "what even is ANet doing?"

It doesn't take much to still be "in the know" with the GW2 community because much like the game itself, not much changes with this community and not much has changed with ANet these last few years with how they operate. Its why I lack practically any faith that EoD will provide what it probably needs to provide to prove its longevity beyond this point with all of the MMOs coming later this year; again just in the next 4 to 5 months. More options than ever, many of which will likely be marketing and advertising more in the next 2 months than ANet has marketed and advertised in the last 5 years; and they'll do it better too, anyone else remember that bizarre PoF launch trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noh81HcovYY

Releasing an expansion is enough to know they're going to be doing things about the future of the game. Be patient. You know your argument is flawed when you have to reference a content creator. I mean, MightyTeapot was blown away by the summer plans.

How can you say it doesn't take much to be in the know about GW2, when you're not active enough to know if you're in the know.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

anyone else remember that bizarre PoF launch trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noh81HcovYY

I think you reflexively threw 'PoF' in there, but that's actually the core game launch trailer. And yes, it's the single worst piece of marketing I've ever seen. I am ashamed on behalf of Anet every time I'm reminded of it.

Speaking of BDO, I came to a very sad realization today. I discovered that I'd rather stare at the the BDO launcher saying the servers were down for maintenance instead of logging to play GW2. I'm still planning to buy EoD, but am doing it out of some sense of obligation to not abandon the time I've already put into GW2; there's almost no excitement left for me.

That said, low expectations are easy to surpass, so EoD could turn out to be an immensely pleasant surprise for me. Another upside is that the wait for EoD is now a non-issue for me, as I've lost any feeling of impatience about it. Overall this lack of excitement might actually have made me more open-minded about EoD.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012

3 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Releasing an expansion is enough to know they're going to be doing things about the future of the game. Be patient. You know your argument is flawed when you have to reference a content creator. I mean, MightyTeapot was blown away by the summer plans.

How can you say it doesn't take much to be in the know about GW2, when you're not active enough to know if you're in the know.

He was an example, one who I know to have been extremely loyal to the GW2 franchise since GW1 and has been a staunch supporter of the game. Also you maybe think Teapot was blown away by the summer plans because thats the most they had said and communicated in a long time? I mean I was "blown away" that ANet finally managed to add some tangible GvG support into the game, granted it took them 9 years to do it but hey, I guess better late than never. If they keep that trend up, and do more then we'll see how EoD goes.

I am being patient, I mean people were being patient before too. I just don't have high expectations, I have zero expectations in fact.

The main point I'm trying to get across here is that things this year are very different and that cannot be something the community diminishes because they are being blind to the issues this game faces in reality, and those things are definitely going to hurt it in the coming months with Lost Ark, Elyon, Sword of Legends Online, New World and the FFXIV Endwalker expansion coming out if End of Dragons doesn't do some pretty significant things for the game. It doesn't matter what you think of any one of those games releasing, due to ANets utter lack of marketing for GW2 (I see more ads for Albion Online than I do for GW2 and I don't even google or youtube that game ever) they are way more on the radar for players than GW2 is and that is an important aspect to take into account.

2 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I think you reflexively threw 'PoF' in there, but that's actually the core game launch trailer. And yes, it's the single worst piece of marketing I've ever seen. I am ashamed on behalf of Anet every time I'm reminded of it.

Speaking of BDO, I came to a very sad realization today. I discovered that I'd rather stare at the the BDO launcher saying the servers were down for maintenance instead of logging to play GW2. I'm still planning to buy EoD, but am doing it out of some sense of obligation to not abandon the time I've already put into GW2; there's almost no excitement left for me.

That said, low expectations are easy to surpass, so EoD could turn out to be an immensely pleasant surprise for me. Another upside is that the wait for EoD is now a non-issue for me, as I've lost any feeling of impatience about it. Overall this lack of excitement might actually have made me more open-minded about EoD.

Welp be thankful Lost Ark is coming honestly. I know I am. Also you're right, I reflexively threw PoF in there. Actually...was there even some form of actual advertising or marketing for PoF? Like...anything? Anything beyond the probably three videos? One for the announcement, one for the Elite Specs and then one for launch?

Edited by KryTiKaL.3125
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

He was an example, one who I know to have been extremely loyal to the GW2 franchise since GW1 and has been a staunch supporter of the game. Also you maybe think Teapot was blown away by the summer plans because thats the most they had said and communicated in a long time? I mean I was "blown away" that ANet finally managed to add some tangible GvG support into the game, granted it took them 9 years to do it but hey, I guess better late than never. If they keep that trend up, and do more then we'll see how EoD goes.

I am being patient, I mean people were being patient before too. I just don't have high expectations, I have zero expectations in fact.

The main point I'm trying to get across here is that things this year are very different and that cannot be something the community diminishes because they are being blind to the issues this game faces in reality, and those things are definitely going to hurt it in the coming months with Lost Ark, Elyon, Sword of Legends Online, New World and the FFXIV Endwalker expansion coming out if End of Dragons doesn't do some pretty significant things for the game. It doesn't matter what you think of any one of those games releasing, due to ANets utter lack of marketing for GW2 (I see more ads for Albion Online than I do for GW2 and I don't even google or youtube that game ever) they are way more on the radar for players than GW2 is and that is an important aspect to take into account.

Only reason "things are different" this year, is because they're busy making an expansion. Your only crutch seems to be that they lack marketing, but they did fine without it in PoF and HoT, and they'll do fine this time around.

Edited by Mortifera.6138
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Only reason "things are different" this year, is because they're busy making an expansion. Your only crutch seems to be that they lack marketing, but they did fine without it in PoF and HoT, and they'll do fine this time around.

Sure, they did fine...ignoring the layoffs, ignoring the fact that they have gone through more game directors in the last few years than most other MMORPG studios (several of which left of their own volition for presumably greener pastures), the less than delivered upon "expansion like content" that was touted for Icebrood saga and GW2 still barely being a blip on most people's radar due in large part to that "crutch" I do indeed keep mentioning.

Look, its fine if we disagree here I'm just trying to argue the point that whatever faith you, and potentially others, still seem to have in ANet to actually deliver on whatever EoD should probably be does not diminish the reality that GW2 absolutely needs for EoD to do well and to step up their game in the MMORPG market because of the MMORPG options making their way here later this year. Its either that or NCSoft may pull the plug based on past history with other companies that they have "reorganized" in similar ways prior to their shutdown. Now despite my distaste with GW2 right now, and ANet, I wouldn't exactly like to see that happen.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, Mik.3401 said:

I’m kind of worried how the EoD will be able to face the huge mmo releases later this year, but we can only hope they will do their best.

I wouldn't worry too much. This game has a loyal, stable player base.  It's had that for years. Most people who are playing are going to buy the expansion because the game itself doesn't have a monthly fee, so it's a no brainer.  Some people may play another game for a few months until they do the new content and then buy it, but most people will buy it.  People complained bitterly about HoT when it came out, but it wasn't the end of the world.  People complained afterwards about how little content they felt PoF has.  At the end of the day, there are a lot of MMOs but none of them give you infinite content. So a lot of people bounce back and forth between them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Sure, they did fine...ignoring the layoffs, ignoring the fact that they have gone through more game directors in the last few years than most other MMORPG studios (several of which left of their own volition for presumably greener pastures), the less than delivered upon "expansion like content" that was touted for Icebrood saga and GW2 still barely being a blip on most people's radar due in large part to that "crutch" I do indeed keep mentioning.

Look, its fine if we disagree here I'm just trying to argue the point that whatever faith you, and potentially others, still seem to have in ANet to actually deliver on whatever EoD should probably be does not diminish the reality that GW2 absolutely needs for EoD to do well and to step up their game in the MMORPG market because of the MMORPG options making their way here later this year. Its either that or NCSoft may pull the plug based on past history with other companies that they have "reorganized" in similar ways prior to their shutdown. Now despite my distaste with GW2 right now, and ANet, I wouldn't exactly like to see that happen.

What other options? New World added at the last second PvE on top of what was originally a PvP game. SOLO endgame is the same 5 dungeons, and it’s a game that doesn’t do any one thing better than other MMOs. Lost Ark is pay to win for all we know, while you claim we are not in the know about GW2’s future. I don’t think you’re being sincere in saying you want GW2 to succeed. Oh, but you quit, so GW2 must be in danger.

Edited by Mortifera.6138
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

What other options? New World added at the last second PvE on top of what was originally a PvP game. SOLO endgame is the same 5 dungeons, and it’s a game that doesn’t do any one thing better than other MMOs. Lost Ark is pay to win for all we know, while you claim we are not in the know about GW2’s future. I don’t think you’re being sincere in saying you want GW2 to succeed. Oh, but you quit, so GW2 must be in danger.

I think we all should just be patient, soon on july we will get some info after all. I myself think that this game has plenty of content and more "goods" than other games have, and it is true that this year lots of new mmos are released so naturally people would try atleast one of them (I did elyon) but I think people who played and enjoyedgw2 and spend alot of time in it i think they would still play and buy the new expansion, and I have faith that Anet will bring good things to us, despide the release of icebrood saga, but i would not jump to judge this toppic either because it was during that they realised we should make somethin bigger from this, a new expansion, so mby that is why the content of it seems low comparing to other lws. 

Anyway i deviated from the toppic, so like i said, let s just be patient even though we do not have much info, let them do their job and take as much time as needed to release somethin good. 

11 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

"New World added at the last second PvE on top of what was originally a PvP game."

Sure, but apparently there are still plenty of people who enjoy what they experienced. And is GW2 PvE any less shallow than whatever New World has added? I mean really?

"SOLO endgame is the same 5 dungeons, and it’s a game that doesn’t do any one thing better than other MMOs."

And what is GW2 endgame? Same Fractals over and over again? Same Raids if most people even bother to do them? Same Meta Events? WvW that has been neglected for years? The ever dwindling sPvP population? Fashion Wars. Right.

"Lost Ark is pay to win for all we know, while you claim we are not in the know about GW2’s future."

Lost Ark isn't even considered pay to win in the other regions that it has been released in, I highly doubt that will change here. Whatever post you've probably seen on r/MMORPG is not an accurate assessment of what the game is, and thats not blind optimism that is just people who have actually played the other versions disproving that. Even if we got the exact same cash shop in the West that they have in KR, it would still be entirely fine. Not to mention...also free to play.

Also I am being sincere in saying I want GW2 to succeed, I just wholeheartedly disagree with you that it isn't in a tight spot right now considering the circumstances. Because it is. Whether you like it or not there are plenty of other options in the MMORPG genre for people to get their hands on, and will end up playing and possibly sticking to for longer periods of time than many bother sticking around for in GW2. If not one MMO, then another. Sometimes I think you can't quite see whats around you because you're intentionally blinding yourself to the faults in GW2 because you probably love the game that much. I get it. You love the game, so do many more, but there are still many others who are finding themselves exhausted with waiting around for ANet to do something that will turn their perceptions of the game around. Those people number far more than you might want to admit, and those people will go elsewhere given the opportunity unless EoD does some pretty significant things and can prove it can continue to compete in the market.

9 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Some posts could have been copied and pasted, with an expansion name-change, from posts seen on the forums before either of the previous expansions.

There's always some other game or games that spell Guild Wars 2's doom. 

Personally I've never believed that with the prior expansions and with other games coming out. Not even when BDO was launching in 2016, definitely not when Bless Online was coming around, not when Wildstar was launching, and not even when Archeage Unchained was going to be a thing.

I do not think another game will be GW2's doom. I think ANet and GW2 itself is going to be GW2's doom.