What would a Gunslinger even do?

DanAlcedo.3281

2 hours ago, Bojjang.1052 said:

While this is personal taste, i would be bummed out if warrior gets pistol.

Also, didnt like the Gunslinger look in Lostark. Yes i know, totally different games but still.

Lostarks combat really doesnt look appealing in general so im not surprised there. There is so much that can be done with a pistol, from offhand buff skills (firing into the sky causing a AoE buff or debuff, chain skills/flip over skills (dash to target, attack target cause debuff/cc and evade backwards).

Depending on how creative they have made the weapon, we shall see on the next set of reveals, I do not believe this will be anything like rifle. Rifle feels like a pure damage only no utility weapon (that evade i will not count as utility, way too delayed to be reliable)

I am beyond confident its pistol, i was confident almost a year ago that it is going to be pistol, I even made HOPE ready for this.

• Confused 1

Well we have bolas, so perhaps that would be a more useful utility to keep things in range. Hopefully there are some immobilize or pull mechanics there too. Lasso F1?

I find ranged/melee game-play to be fun like on Ranger and Thief. Rifle is too slow for me now, hoping the pistols would be faster.

I rly hope it will be not pistol. Like come on another bruiser spec? Pls I cant see pistol as Support (especialy cause its weapon theme) If warrior get pistols and idk rev? A gs the of course ill sweap to rev. After playing warrior only since Release  .....

3 minutes ago, Pati.2438 said:

I rly hope it will be not pistol. Like come on another bruiser spec? Pls I cant see pistol as Support (especialy cause its weapon theme) If warrior get pistols and idk rev? A gs the of course ill sweap to rev. After playing warrior only since Release  .....

I assume you are not familiar with the old captains of times gone by. They carried pistols to boost the moral of their soldiers, they in a sense 'buffed' their allies. A pistol is a supporters weapon for a soldier in this sense.

A mid range support, able to keep distance to be aware on who needs help and being able to keep oneself safe from danger. Warrior lacks this ability (im not talking about might bot spamming health support, that is way too passive to even call it support) I'm talking the buff your allies kind of support, Warrior has lacked a mid range 1h weapon since 2012, the only core class to not have a ranged one handed weapon.

Warrior now has the following specs:
DPS - Power + Condi
Boon control + CC
It has tactics but does not have any active support roles beyond slamming a banner down or spamming very pasive shouts. Warrior furthermore needs complexity which it has and is lacking to make it feel more engaging.

The other options of weapons would be Staff, Focus, Shortbow. I can not see any of these being the next weapon however due to the weapon types already having their purpose filled. Staff is the only other type that might have a chance if its condition damage or support based (this will heavily limit the weapon combinations and enjoyment(Pistol will allow you to create up to 9 new weapon combinations, that is a huge amount of new playstyles to work with. This is why I am looking forward to pistol above all other weapons!)

14 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

The problem I have with support pistols is that the skills would be projectiles. 

Unusable in Wvw. 

It's not that bad for us. I play warrior rifle a lot and Signet of Might and Signet Mastery can do a lot for you. I can even down people in the middle of a zerg if they don't have enough health.

18 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

The problem I have with support pistols is that the skills would be projectiles. 

Unusable in Wvw. 

Virtuoso and necro seems to get projectiles. This expansion seems to be giving projectile ranged weapons. Probably anet will increase the amount of unblockables anyway. 

Also if projectiles are fine for ranger in WvW as it is said in the forums multiple times they are fine for other classes too. 

11 hours ago, Dao Jones.6720 said:

Reflection piercing bullets. Or projectiles that explode on contact, dealing damage in a small AoE if reflected or blocked.

Um if they use something like preparations or "ammunition type" utility skills it would allow the gunslinger to change the effects of the ammunition. Utility skills with multiple charges. 

Well let's see what anet has prepared for  us. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Virtuoso and necro seems to get projectiles. This expansion seems to be giving projectile ranged weapons. Probably anet will increase the amount of unblockables anyway. 

Also if projectiles are fine for ranger in WvW as it is said in the forums multiple times they are fine for other classes too. 

They are not fine for Ranger in WvW. Who even says that? 

And I'm happy that Necro could be completely projectile based with maybe thrown elixers. 

That would be the first time that a Necro E spec would be bad in Wvw. 

A skill being a projectile is a HUGE detriment, especially in Wvw where Reflect and Projectile destruction are everywhere. 

But go ahead, use your projectiles as much as you want. I love a million numbers on my screen when I pop reflect bubble. 😍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

They are not fine for Ranger in WvW. Who even says that? 

And I'm happy that Necro could be completely projectile based with maybe thrown elixers. 

That would be the first time that a Necro E spec would be bad in Wvw. 

A skill being a projectile is a HUGE detriment, especially in Wvw where Reflect and Projectile destruction are everywhere. 

But go ahead, use your projectiles as much as you want. I love a million numbers on my screen when I pop reflect bubble. 😍

Yeh i do agree with you thou. Just the general consensus in the forums about how the reflection creep is ok. 

You forgot about the random "Obstructed" also. There is no need for the warrior bubble a random tempest sharing their magnetic aura will be enough and almost no visible. 

Going back to the topic  i am confident even if it is projectiles it will be fine for warrior. I mean it would not be a good look if people begun to complain in the forums about not being able to play in WvW one week after the expansion came out. 

Edited by anduriell.6280

On 8/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, Smoosh.2718 said:

I assume you are not familiar with the old captains of times gone by. They carried pistols to boost the moral of their soldiers, they in a sense 'buffed' their allies. A pistol is a supporters weapon for a soldier in this sense.

A mid range support, able to keep distance to be aware on who needs help and being able to keep oneself safe from danger. Warrior lacks this ability (im not talking about might bot spamming health support, that is way too passive to even call it support) I'm talking the buff your allies kind of support, Warrior has lacked a mid range 1h weapon since 2012, the only core class to not have a ranged one handed weapon.

Warrior now has the following specs:
DPS - Power + Condi
Boon control + CC
It has tactics but does not have any active support roles beyond slamming a banner down or spamming very pasive shouts. Warrior furthermore needs complexity which it has and is lacking to make it feel more engaging.

The other options of weapons would be Staff, Focus, Shortbow. I can not see any of these being the next weapon however due to the weapon types already having their purpose filled. Staff is the only other type that might have a chance if its condition damage or support based (this will heavily limit the weapon combinations and enjoyment(Pistol will allow you to create up to 9 new weapon combinations, that is a huge amount of new playstyles to work with. This is why I am looking forward to pistol above all other weapons!)

Well, Officers/NCOs don’t carry pistols in order to ‘boost the morale of their troops,’ they do so because they are not generally primary combatants but instead expected to focus their energy on leading. In that sense, pistol would make sense for a support spec.

On 8/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

One of the espec ideas I posted was a pistol/pistol support spec with an F2 'Offhand' burst mechanic (two handers got a second burst).

Hmm off hand burst skills is an idea worth exploring.  If you ignore the new weapon and two handers there would be 5 new burst skills.  I can see them building a spec around that.

1 hour ago, nopoet.2960 said:

Hmm off hand burst skills is an idea worth exploring.  If you ignore the new weapon and two handers there would be 5 new burst skills.  I can see them building a spec around that.

You would have to include the 2 handers. Greatsword could use a pull or knockdown on an F2 and Hammer could really use an actual damage burst. Rifle could get a 600 range cone AoE daze+immobilize.