POF/LWS4 Maps are still lagging during meta events - [Merged]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been going on for some time, Reddit is bursting about it for months. ANET has mostly been quiet about the issue except for one dev who streamed WvW on Twitch last week and made a sort of "throw away" statement about it. He said that its something within the code and fixing it is pretty hard so there might not be a fix anytime soon.

It's really annoying during fights in "Bjora Marches" (EU Server) and It doesn't only happen during meta events, the lag is constant on this map. Sometimes it lags for 2 sec and you get hit for massive damage after the lag and it makes you die or leaves you in a hard position. This is not normal. I took a break for several months and returned to the game, there was no problem like that before. I haven't tested other maps because I'm focusing on LS5 but Drizzlewood seems ok compared to Bjora Marches. I've seen people complaining about Thunderhead Peaks as well. This should be a top priority issue to fix at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night some guildmates and I did the Specimen Chamber meta in Sandswept Isles. This is on the EU servers.

It was quite late on UK time, somewhere after 11pm. The map was fairly quiet, only around 15 people turned up for the pre-event with the Asura.

The lag was horrendous. Although we managed to do the pre and the meta event it was not a fun thing to do. My average ping was 70ms, which was much higher than normal but everyone was complaining about the spikes during the event.

Now if it was only me I can accept that perhaps it was all the hops between my computer and the Anet servers. However it wasn't. Everyone was complaining because we were all chatting about it afterwards. My guild mates are in different countries, one in Austria and one in Finland. It wasn't just us.

We were in a quiet zone. There weren't masses of players slowing the event down. It was late evening for me, but in most EU countries it was the small hours of the night, a time when most players are asleep. That should work in the zones favour, yet we all getting horrendous lag.

It has to be the servers.

This lag doesnt happen in the Tyrian zones. It is within the PoF onward zones. It has in got worse since the EU servers crashed a few months ago.

I appreciate there may be issues with the lockdowns. Internet data use has increased, some places probably dont have as many workers keeping an eye on servers. I get that, but what I dont get is the total silence on this issue.

This isn't something trivial like a graphical glitch on a mount, it is something fundamental to the playing of the game. At the moment it is beyond a joke and to be honest it is now reflecting badly on the game.

Some sort of communication, even if it isn't good news would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

The lag is now constantly occurring and is barely even stopping. I was doing some events with a group of players and all 4 of us were struggling to kill one veteran mob because none of our skills would resolve. The lag holds for several seconds, catches up for 3-5 seconds and then everything stops again. I just did Thunderhead Keep meta and some stages are unplayable. This map is still a total disaster to play on, and desperately needs a permanent fix.

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@xJOHNYAPPLESEED.2685 said:This needs to be number 1 priority, they cannot release new content while old content is actually unplayable 90% of the time.

is been goin on for so long i really dont get it why it still not have been fixed

It makes me sad that something i paid for like PoF and LS4 i cant even play or enjoy most of it. Really awful. They made a post about how they are working on fixing something relating to Latency but this isnt that cause my Latency is fine.

Can you explain what the problem actually is? Have you submitted bug report/s or posted details of what the problem is in the bug section of this forum?

I haven't done the story in a while but I go back to PoF maps regularly and I haven't noticed any major problems with them. Sometimes there's fewer people around so some events need more planning to complete, but that's the worst of it. I've not seen anyone else mention problems with PoF recently either. Which means unless you've reported it it's possible Anet haven't noticed either and don't even know there is a problem they need to fix.

@dkzbabe.1804 said:

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:Try upgrading your pc, sounds like it is too weak to play properly. You can also lower your graphics down some

my pc is 2700$ and got the best internet u can get .. i can run all other games on ultra whit zero lag .. this game is 8 years old is nothing to do whit my pc

Although Chyanne could state things better, she has a point. If this was an issue at Arenanet, this forum would be filled with complaints about the PoF maps. There are some, but it is marginal and always pinpointed at other issues.

So it does seem that there is a technical issue at your end.A few questions:Do you only have this on the 6 PoF maps? or also on the newer living world maps like dragons end?Do you also have some lag on older maps?

What are you actually experiencing? e.g.

• You press a skill and it takes a few seconds before my character starts casting. You see people glitchning around youThis has most likely to do with your internetconnection

• You see issues with rendering things around you and the quality is very poorThis has most likely to do with your computer. It helps if you state all your specs here.

We are here to help, so please help us in helping you!

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:Try upgrading your pc, sounds like it is too weak to play properly. You can also lower your graphics down some

my pc is 2700$ and got the best internet u can get .. i can run all other games on ultra whit zero lag .. this game is 8 years old is nothing to do whit my pc

Although Chyanne could state things better, she has a point. If this was an issue at Arenanet, this forum would be filled with complaints about the PoF maps. There are some, but it is marginal and always pinpointed at other issues.

So it does seem that there is a technical issue at your end.A few questions:Do you only have this on the 6 PoF maps? or also on the newer living world maps like dragons end?Do you also have some lag on older maps?

What are you actually experiencing? e.g.
  • You press a skill and it takes a few seconds before my character starts casting. You see people glitchning around youThis has most likely to do with your internetconnection
  • You see issues with rendering things around you and the quality is very poorThis has most likely to do with your computer. It helps if you state all your specs here.

We are here to help, so please help us in helping you!

Excuse me but OP has the same problem that many many EU players are facing all the time

It is not a player side issue, it is something Anet needs to fix and has not done for over 6 months.

Can we please stop confusing these threads and trying to blame the thread creators for Anets problem?

Please can people stop with the upgrade pc comments. This is a widespread issue in EU acknowledged by Anet who have also stated in the past that persistent skill lag is a problem at their end as well. Map chat and the forums have been feeding this back for 6 months and it is confined to PoF and ls4 mostly (the forums have had tons of threads I can assure you)

We have offered to work with Anet multiple times to help fix and this issue but received silence as usual

It is not a player side problem. I have upgraded my pc and still only those maps are affected and I’ve changed settings to no effect. There is no issue in HoT, LS3 or LS5

When I'm alone in snowy Desert Highlands and can barely use skills, yet have no performance issues in the middle of a DRakkar fight, I can eliminate a localised problem