POF/LWS4 Maps are still lagging during meta events - [Merged]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know Anet have never said the problem won't be fixed, they just haven't fixed it yet. But if it's affecting different people in different ways as this thread makes it sound fixing it might be easier said than done. Last time I remember something like that happening it was eventually narrowed down to one major internet provider in the UK throttling one 'port' which GW2 used and the solution was for both Anet and players to contact them to get them to stop. But until it became apparent that it was only people in the UK and only people using the same internet provider who were affected it wasn't possible to do anything.

Having said that I haven't noticed any problems with lag in PoF maps myself, so I can't comment on what might be causing it except that it's clearly not a universal problem.

I experience horrendous lags too - only on PoF maps. Not story instances, only open world.Main Tyria and HoT - no problems at all. Superbly fluid, no lags.

When I enter PoF map to do daily or just complete map, 50/50 to have dramatic lags - even 2-3 seconds. I leave to any other map - again everything is ok.I didn't start LS4, so I don't know if it will be laggy also. I really hope no.

I checked - no hardware problems, nothing wrong with connection. Any other internet game plays without problems. Terrible lags are only in PoF content.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:Try upgrading your pc, sounds like it is too weak to play properly. You can also lower your graphics down some

my pc is 2700$ and got the best internet u can get .. i can run all other games on ultra whit zero lag .. this game is 8 years old is nothing to do whit my pc

Although Chyanne could state things better, she has a point. If this was an issue at Arenanet, this forum would be filled with complaints about the PoF maps. There are some, but it is marginal and always pinpointed at other issues.

So it does seem that there is a technical issue at your end.A few questions:Do you only have this on the 6 PoF maps? or also on the newer living world maps like dragons end?Do you also have some lag on older maps?

What are you actually experiencing? e.g.
  • You press a skill and it takes a few seconds before my character starts casting. You see people glitchning around youThis has most likely to do with your internetconnection
  • You see issues with rendering things around you and the quality is very poorThis has most likely to do with your computer. It helps if you state all your specs here.

We are here to help, so please help us in helping you!

u so blind man look on the forums u see 100s of post about this problem

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:Try upgrading your pc, sounds like it is too weak to play properly. You can also lower your graphics down some

my pc is 2700$ and got the best internet u can get .. i can run all other games on ultra whit zero lag .. this game is 8 years old is nothing to do whit my pc

Although Chyanne could state things better, she has a point. If this was an issue at Arenanet, this forum would be filled with complaints about the PoF maps. There are some, but it is marginal and always pinpointed at other issues.

So it does seem that there is a technical issue at your end.A few questions:Do you only have this on the 6 PoF maps? or also on the newer living world maps like dragons end?Do you also have some lag on older maps?

What are you actually experiencing? e.g.
  • You press a skill and it takes a few seconds before my character starts casting. You see people glitchning around youThis has most likely to do with your internetconnection
  • You see issues with rendering things around you and the quality is very poorThis has most likely to do with your computer. It helps if you state all your specs here.

We are here to help, so please help us in helping you!

open you eyes. there a alot post about this problem

@Gizmo.8623 said:I experience horrendous lags too - only on PoF maps. Not story instances, only open world.Main Tyria and HoT - no problems at all. Superbly fluid, no lags.

When I enter PoF map to do daily or just complete map, 50/50 to have dramatic lags - even 2-3 seconds. I leave to any other map - again everything is ok.I didn't start LS4, so I don't know if it will be laggy also. I really hope no.

I checked - no hardware problems, nothing wrong with connection. Any other internet game plays without problems. Terrible lags are only in PoF content.

And if problem is like Danikat.8537 said this time again there would be no other problems with other games.So maybe people with the problem should say what country and what internet provider they use to narrow it down?

@"Danikat.8537 said:it was eventually narrowed down to one major internet provider in the UK throttling one 'port' which GW2 used

Do bear in mind, you can go to say Desert Highlands and have 5 sec skill lag, hop to HoT or LS5 and do a meta or anything and have no issues, then return to PoF or LS4 and have 5 sec skill lag again.

I'd be more than happy to give the internet provider etc info if they were even the slightest bit interested in collating or communicating with a wider reach of players, but I'm also struggling to understand how the ISP would cause issues between two different maps within the same game, esp when the least populated and least intensive is the one with the lag

This isn't just an issue with EU servers. It is bad on NA as well. I play from Japan so I am used to high ping and that kind of lag. I finally made it to Sandswept Isles, and the skill lag is hilarious. It happens to quite a few on the map since everyone in map chat starts yelling about it around the same time. This is not PC performance lag related, and I think it is more widespread than some may think.

Honestly, since this is paid content (purchase PoF and maybe even the LW seasons) I think players have full rights to make a million posts all over the forums until it is fixed.

@Falkner.7302 said:

@"Nightcore.5621" said:enough is enough this been goin on for more than a half year are we ever gettin this fixed?

What? They're not fixing it??I just bought this expansion, living world season 4 is terrible Lag also -where do i ask for my gems back?There's zero chance of investing on any more living world purchases unless they address it.

After ongoing complaints (there are already a lot of threads/posts in the forum about this) for a long time they at least confirmed 6 weeks ago that there even is a problem for some players and that they are now working on it but that it is complicated:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/111982/an-update-on-game-performance-issues#latest

After 6 weeks working on this with "members of our Engineering, Infrastructure, Design, QA, and Production teams" I would expect that they at least located the main causes and could give some progress report in the forum.

That they have not given a progress report after 6 weeks means that they did not find the cause or that they find the cause, but can not fix it in the near future (maybe a fundamental problem how the Amazon EC2 instances load balances, maybe some outdated software from Anet that nobody in systems engeneering/devs, that is still with the company after the big-layoffs, understands anymore, maybe there is no budget to pay Amazon for better processing power, etc...).

So it does seem that there is a technical issue at your end.

No, it doesn't. Please open your eyes and please stop blaming the victim.

The forum is filled with threads and complaints and Anet at least confirmed that there is a problem (ofc, they do not confirm in public that its their fault).

Sure, a bad Wifi or a bad internet connection could result in packet loss which can present itself also as skill lag to the player. But this would happen on all maps and not only when a player is on PoF/Season 4 maps.

And there are at least two players (myself included) that have wiresharked the traffic between gw2-client and gw2-servers and that have shown that the lag thats specific in PoF/Season4 maps is caused by the servers (Anet/Amazon).

@Falkner.7302 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:enough is enough this been goin on for more than a half year are we ever gettin this fixed?

What? They're not fixing it??I just bought this expansion, living world season 4 is terrible Lag also -where do i ask for my gems back?There's zero chance of investing on any more living world purchases unless they address it.

yes i know that sucks. they put this game on steam and than people cant even play half the game for lag just stupid

Playing on EU with ~50 ms average latency, max up to 120 ms and as low as 28 ms.When skill lag occurs, I do not see increased latency, at least not reported by the client, making me think it is not related to internet but their servers/code.So many players affected and such a lack of interest is beyond frustrating.

Serious question, because I'm not trained in this area. If the problem was our internet and not Anet, wouldn't the lag problem occur on all maps? Wouldn't the same hops (is that the correct term?) be used for every map? I'm in NZ, playing on NA, and my average ping is 250-260 ms. But Bjora is unplayable, as is Thunderhead Peaks. I have no problems on the other maps (but haven't played some, like Sandswept Isles for a couple of months).

Isn't it all or nothing re lag?

@Hesione.9412 said:Serious question, because I'm not trained in this area. If the problem was our internet and not Anet, wouldn't the lag problem occur on all maps? Wouldn't the same hops (is that the correct term?) be used for every map? I'm in NZ, playing on NA, and my average ping is 250-260 ms. But Bjora is unplayable, as is Thunderhead Peaks. I have no problems on the other maps (but haven't played some, like Sandswept Isles for a couple of months).

Isn't it all or nothing re lag?

Ignore those saying it's your internet or your computer. It's a server issue, probably on the software side for those maps that are having problems, otherwise all maps would have problems on the same server.

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@xJOHNYAPPLESEED.2685 said:This needs to be number 1 priority, they cannot release new content while old content is actually unplayable 90% of the time.

is been goin on for so long i really dont get it why it still not have been fixed

if you can still log into the game, they don't care. as for releasing content while the game is broken, hah. companies do that all the time.

@"Sheader.6827" said:except for one dev who streamed WvW on Twitch last week and made a sort of "throw away" statement about it. He said that its something within the code and fixing it is pretty hard so there might not be a fix anytime soon.

Do you have a link to the video or to a citation/statement of this?thanks.

@Zok.4956 said:

@"Sheader.6827" said:except for one dev who streamed WvW on Twitch last week and made a sort of "throw away" statement about it. He said that its something within the code and fixing it is pretty hard so there might not be a fix anytime soon.

Do you have a link to the video or to a citation/statement of this?thanks.

There won’t be one that backs up their post. The most recent WvW stream mentioned performance issues, that they were working at it from different angles, across different game modes. Pretty much no different from the sticky made awhile ago. This was about 1 hour and 19 min into the stream.

It’s just a statement that was made up with the dev stream used as a source in hopes that people wouldn’t actually watch it to verify it.

The video also shows some insights about dev interactions on the forums around the 1 hour and 23 mark. Many of them read the forums but are not comfortable posting. Some of the bigger posts require localization so that it could be shared to other forums.

ANET need to postpone the Steam release while this is being dealt with. I honestly fear for the game if they release it in this state... so many are going to see the instability and want nothing to do with it. This is probably the biggest issue the game has currently and so far all Ive seen in a random forum post saying 'We're investigating, SOME people are having issues'. No, the game is having issues.

When other MMOs have these issues, we get regular updates

When GW2 has ongoing issues, we get one communication if we are lucky and then silence.

Anet - if the issue is identifying, then we are offering to help with any info you need. If it's a hard problem to fix, then just tell us. Stop with the moody silences please!