Decay is overtuned

Dahkeus.8243

End of season is pretty miserable right now for a lot of players that have been consistently PvPing this season. There's a lot of players who are returning to PvP in order to get rank before the season ends and they're getting easy wins against consistent PvPers because of the decay. I can deal with losing games, but when loss streaks get to a certain point, it gets pretty miserable.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:Decay doesn't affect match making at all. Match making is based off of skill rating not effective rating.

This.

Sometimes I wonder why even have decay. If I am going to play against the same people when I am in bronze as I was 2 weeks ago in platinum before my Christmas snowboarding adventures what exactly does decay even do? From what I recall, decay USED to effect matchmaking as a way to give returning players a few easy matches to get back into the groove...but people were exploiting it to decay themselves purposefully and then win ez games to cheese their way into top 100. So now that this is no longer the case I don't see any reason for the continued existence of decay at all.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:End of season is pretty miserable right now for a lot of players that have been consistently PvPing this season. There's a lot of players who are returning to PvP in order to get rank before the season ends and they're getting easy wins against consistent PvPers because of the decay. I can deal with losing games, but when loss streaks get to a certain point, it gets pretty miserable.

Nope. You're losing because you're losing.

Feel better yet?

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

@ArthurDent.9538 said:Decay doesn't affect match making at all. Match making is based off of skill rating not effective rating.

This.

Sometimes I wonder why even have decay. If I am going to play against the same people when I am in bronze as I was 2 weeks ago in platinum before my Christmas snowboarding adventures what exactly does decay even do? From what I recall, decay USED to effect matchmaking as a way to give returning players a few easy matches to get back into the groove...but people were exploiting it to decay themselves purposefully and then win ez games to cheese their way into top 100. So now that this is no longer the case I don't see any reason for the continued existence of decay at all.

It removes players that aren’t active from the leaderboard.....

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I agree that the decay system is too harsh. You have to both play a minimum amount of 15 games each week to stay on the leaderboard, and play a game every 3 days in order to not decay. Just keep the 15 games per week requirement, and remove decay itself.

Then players can just farm out the 120 minimum games required get to their desired Leaderboard ranking and not play again....

While it's true that decay doesn't affect matchmaking, I find it fairly laughable how fast it kicks in and how far down it pushes you. They seem to think that the PvP is so good that you should make it your main competitive game. The system takes itself so seriously, while the devs put little apparent effort into stopping cheaters, abusers, and exploiters. Not to mention letting the balance remain add bad as it is for so long.

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:While it's true that decay doesn't affect matchmaking, I find it fairly laughable how fast it kicks in and how far down it pushes you. They seem to think that the PvP is so good that you should make it your main competitive game. The system takes itself so seriously, while the devs put little apparent effort into stopping cheaters, abusers, and exploiters. Not to mention letting the balance remain add bad as it is for so long.

Didn’t realize it was so rough to log in once every 72 hrs and play one match...

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:While it's true that decay doesn't affect matchmaking, I find it fairly laughable how fast it kicks in and how far down it pushes you. They seem to think that the PvP is so good that you should make it your main competitive game. The system takes itself so seriously, while the devs put little apparent effort into stopping cheaters, abusers, and exploiters. Not to mention letting the balance remain add bad as it is for so long.

Didn’t realize it was so rough to log in once every 72 hrs and play one match...

Well done of us play more than one game and only want to dedicate one day a week to GW2.

It's ok though, now I just dedicate no days. With one exception Rainbow Six is a fairly well balanced game, at least compared to this. I'd rather dedicate my time to that.

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:

Well done of us play more than one game and only want to dedicate one day a week to GW2.

It's ok though, now I just dedicate no days. With one exception Rainbow Six is a fairly well balanced game, at least compared to this. I'd rather dedicate my time to that.

and why should someone so casual as to play GW2 only once a week be ranked?

do you have a part time job where you work one day per week and expect compensation/benefits similar to a full time employee as well?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I agree that the decay system is too harsh. You have to both play a minimum amount of 15 games each week to stay on the leaderboard, and play a game every 3 days in order to not decay. Just keep the 15 games per week requirement, and remove decay itself.

Then players can just farm out the 120 minimum games required get to their desired Leaderboard ranking and not play again....

So? Those players have the same chance of losing or winning in those matches as in the matches they have to play to prevent decay.

Decay isn't what's causing people to lose matches, has no effect on the rating of a player when they q for a match. It's a stacked system that can do things like give people 25 win streaks to get to plat 3 followed by 25 loss streaks to go down to gold 2. (I speak from experience here)

Archived