So, do you like the phantasm rework? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

So, do you like the phantasm rework?

Me Games Ma.8426Me Games Ma.8426 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2018 in Mesmer

We had a bit of time to play with it, explore the new system and craft builds with it. Do you think the rework is good?
Please explain your answer I'm curious what the rest of the mesmers thinks.

Note: This is not a question about balance as balance is a different story!

So, do you like the phantasm rework? 141 votes

Yes.
78%
godfat.2604Michiel.3608Solori.6025ReaverKane.7598yami.9043OriOri.8724altermaven.7385Abelisk.4527Xcorpdog.2840strangercandy.5249pico.6402Khailyn.6248Xaylin.1860Sodeni.6041Curunen.8729LeCardCaptor.6730zealex.9410Agent Noun.7350MithranArkanere.8957Lalainnia.3598 110 votes
No.
21%
Nikal.4921Alpha.1308Faux Play.6104K THEN.5162Basaltface.2786Blood Red Arachnid.2493Fay.2735GWMO.4785Toolbox.9375Menaka.5092Hibiskus.8294Simonoly.4352Poelala.2830Eypheha.5831tartarus.1082Lincolnbeard.1735Yukio blaster.9082Vieux P.1238msalakka.4653Narias.2513 31 votes
<1

Comments

• Yes.

Alright I'll go ahead and explain my answer first:
    I've always wanted them to move away from passive gameplay. Through this update mesmer has made one big step into that direction.
    The new rotations on phantasm builds (as chrono) and clone build (as mirage) including phantasm skills are much more fun as there is more to do then just pressing 3 buttons for 90% of the fight.
    I really enjoy the new playstyle and for open world mesmer can finally burst down veterans/elites/champions decently because phantasms don't need to ramp up.

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

It made mesmer way more active and fun to play.

• Levetty.1279Levetty.1279 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

This is the most fun I've had with the game.

Its opened up several builds across multiple game modes, Greatsword is actually a good weapon to use at range now, we actually have all 5 weapon skills open to us at once, shatters are useful in power builds in PvE so we can use the traits related to them, we can clear content faster then a snails pace, we can get creative with the builds we use to clear PvE content now and Mirage and Chrono now actually offer varied playstyles, at least in PvE. Its even better and more fun then I imagined a possible rework would be like.

• Yes.

I absolutely love the new phantasms. This is how they should have been from the beginning imo, they flow so much better now. I also love the new traits to support them in illusions and the new double zerker GS trait in dom. All good stuff with excellent synergy. I can finally play power without being locked into the dumb one trick insta gib build. Power staff is on par with GS, Chaos is suddenly viable again. Phants offer heavy, sustained, multi-target dps. You can time big bursts and the damage ramps nicely with might, but it doesn't feel OP since you're not relying on stuns and actually have to time your attacks and be aware of the team situation. Fantastic.

Now they just need to give us back the conditions on clone death traits and I'll be shouting anet's praises from the mountain tops.

• Hibiskus.8294Hibiskus.8294 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

I voted No, i mean: i like it that we can have a "more active" gameplay, but for me it feels just like pressing F1 is the only way to make dmg.....i liked the old phamtasms more...

Now i feel like i have no real choice....in fact: i have played some days after the update, but now i look "active" for other games, since mesmer was the only class with story, gear, more bag slots, map completition, etc...so i didn´t login for a week now....doing all the stuff that i have done in 3 years with my mes with a new char is not my style, i like it to stick with one character....and since my mes now feels less "funny for me" to play......well.....maybe i come back when i see that they make some changes we all requested...there were enough polls about what should be changed....nothing happened there...sooo....i will wait and see.... at least i have not found a game where i shout "this is it", GW2 seems to be the best on the market....its just...well...hard to explain, but my main is no longer my main and lvling a twink is nothing that i want do now, so maybe after a month...or two....i will login again, but now i need some time....

• Alpha.1308Alpha.1308 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

i say no, because i'd of preferred a mechanic not tied to the liability that is destructible NPCs
    is it better than what we had before?
    most likely, in many ways
    just... i dunno, it still feels... iffy, after so long of dealing with them, and after 2 E-Specs that didn't trade out the mechanic, it's just a little... eh at this point

• RabbitUp.8294RabbitUp.8294 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018
    Yes.

Mesmer was the first class I started with when I played for the first time. It blew my mind when I was in the tutorial with the scepter, spamming clones of myself. It gave me the impression that the class would play like an "army of me".

Unfortunately, it turned out those clones were fodder and the phantasms were little more than pink turrets that died with their target, and they both competed against each other. I soon moved on to other classes, and even when I decided to choose a main from each armour weight, my light ended up being ele. I tried to pick mesmer up again when chrono launched, since I've always had a soft spot for supports in MMOs, but that gap was always there, so I couldn't enjoy myself.

This update, and specifically the power chrono build it created, is exactly what I had imagined, and ever since the patch, I have been playing mesmer almost exclusively. On one hand, I regret not sticking with mesmer more, but on the other, I have what I wanted all along, and it's an opportunity to get a fresh look on the game through what is effectively a new class.

@Hibiskus.8294 said:
    I voted No, i mean: i like it that we can have a "more active" gameplay, but for me it feels just like pressing F1 is the only way to make dmg.....i liked the old phamtasms more...

That's not even true for chrono, let alone mirage.

By the rest of your post, I assume you are talking pve, maybe solo pve? A max F1 shatter does less damage than any of the offensive phantasms, and phantasms hit twice. It seems you are stuck in the old mentality where summoning 1-2 phantasm and waiting on cooldowns was the norm. Spam your phantasms, and don't be afraid to use your heal to spam them again. If anything, I have a problem with how fast things die that the second spawm of phantasms goes to waste as well as all the clones that were summoned, so I often just shatter for the little bit of alacrity to not let them go completely to waste.

• Kas.3509Kas.3509 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018
    No.

No!
    I actually stop playing almost at all after mesmer changes and a lot of my guildies too sadly :<
    I loved mesmer and was playing mainly mesmer.

The positive:
    It is a really good change for mirage. He doesnt have to avoid using phantasms skills to not lose dmg. It actually made mirage more fun. You don't have to be afraid of missclicking.

The sad part is ...
    Maybe it is not ONLY the phantasms change but also alarcity change.... Chronomancer now is such a hore.
    I LOVED my chronomancer. Right now its just so boring. You have to click your rotation faster due to 50% alarcity on yourself and it makes no room for freedom, fun or blocks without loosing buffs uptime and dmg.
    I feel like right now Im just there to stand and click all buttons in the right order again and again an again and again.
    Previously I never had the hard "rotation". I just clicked what I felt like in the moment and still got 85%+ alarcity and quickness upkeep and dmg close to what qtfy was showing.
    Now I am just a spam bot sadly : / Not fun at all. Never thought almost no CDes could kill fun :/

• Pyroatheist.9031Pyroatheist.9031 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

@Kas.3509 said:
    Now I am just a spam bot sadly : / Not fun at all. Never thought almost no CDes could kill fun :/

Alternatively you could learn the rotations and skills properly and have the flexibility anyway shrug.

Ohey, I've got a signature

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

I love the changes. Some of them missed their mark sure, some phantasms need work. But before this, our class mechanic was at odds with itself, and it no longer is. This was a huge step forward for the class as a whole, and its only going to get better from here.

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Carighan.6758Carighan.6758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

@Hibiskus.8294 said:

Now i feel like i have no real choice....in fact: i have played some days after the update, but now i look "active" for other games,

Not to argue with your opinion - because let's face it, a class rework is always highly subjective - but IMO you were "done with" GW2 before this change.
    I've been through half a dozen MMOs now, each played for multiple years (started with EQ1 back when Kunark had just released), and what always happens is that as one grows disillusioned with their current MMO, the purely rote aspect of their daily gameplay still keeps them logging in. That is, this daily list of things has become part of your daily route IRL.

But, when something then upsets it, say a new expansion coming out with massive reworks to existing classes (GW2 didn't have that yet, it only piles on top) or a bigger class change, then you are forcibly taken out of that daily routine because your button presses change. Like it or not. And that makes you take a step back and realize that you were no longer all that impressed with the game anyhow.

This is why the big player losses often happen a short while after an expansion: It's when players realize that now that they've seen the new places once, they feel nothing holding them here. Their daily routine has been broken up by the expansion, and the new content couldn't hold them there long enough to build a new one.

• No.

I vote no, mostly because I can't do the maximum DPS rotations with it. People are getting 42k bursts and and 33k sustained DPS, and I can barely break a 30k burst after several hours of trying. After grinding the start of the fight on a golem, over and over again, food wasting away, for hours, and I still can't do it, then those numbers effectively don't exist for me. Power mesmer was a DPS loss for me this patch. "More active playstyle" effectively translates into "Unassailable by anyone who isn't super elite or uses macros".

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

edited February 28, 2018
    Yes.

@Kas.3509 said:
    I LOVED my chronomancer. Right now its just so boring. You have to click your rotation faster due to 50% alarcity on yourself and it makes no room for freedom, fun or blocks without loosing buffs uptime and dmg.
    I feel like right now Im just there to stand and click all buttons in the right order again and again an again and again.
    Previously I never had the hard "rotation". I just clicked what I felt like in the moment and still got 85%+ alarcity and quickness upkeep and dmg close to what qtfy was showing.

So how did you feel when alacrity was 66% then? And that was gamewide, not chrono-exclusive. Seems like you are complaining just for the sake of complaining.

edited February 28, 2018
    No.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

So how did you feel when alacrity was 66% then? And that was gamewide, not chrono-exclusive. Seems like you are complaining just for the sake of complaining.

That was the time I didnt play. I had a 1-2 year gap in playing in my 4 years GW2 career. I'd hate it. I actually liked chrono with 33% alarcity for everyone and with no phantasms rework. Chrono was waaaay more fun back then. I loved buffing and tanking in raids. But the truth is mirage really benefits from the phantasms change so...

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

Alternatively you could learn the rotations and skills properly and have the flexibility anyway shrug.

The thing is... I never had to memorize rotations to play effectively. I knew what my skills do and used them and everything was good. I CAN just memorize them like 99% community instead of using my brain while playing, but playing like that is not something that excites me.
    Also... I know what my skills are doing and I know what I am losing when I allow freedom currently. I lost very little before compared to what you lose now : P Sadly mirage became easier, because 1 missclick won't screw your dps, and chrono become more frustrating and boring, not even more difficult, just more spammerino.

I dont understand why people think that if you dont like something then you must do it wrong or youre "just" complaining. I said what I think because thats what this topic is for. I said the good AND the bad, not just complained too.
    I can still do everything I could do before. But its less fun on chrono now and more fun on mirage.
    Simple as that for me.
    I went from loving chrono specialization to hating playing it so I state an opinion , because I feel kinda unhappy.
    Yet I am not moaning over all forums and saying "anet you destroyed the game bla bla" so I have no idea why some people have problems with my opinion.
    Are they the people who cant stand if someone thinks different than them? People enjoy different things, deal with it.

• Wolfric.9380Wolfric.9380 Member ✭✭✭

Hi.
    While i understand the move to active gameplay i actually prefer that the game has the oportunity to play powerful minion strategies. So pushing out clones and phantasms to do sustained damage that actually kill the target while kiting is a nice option that should be powerful against non cleave oponents.

Yes.

@Kas.3509 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

That was the time I didnt play. I had a 1-2 year gap in playing in my 4 years GW2 career. I'd hate it. I actually liked chrono with 33% alarcity for everyone and with no phantasms rework. Chrono was waaaay more fun back then. I loved buffing and tanking in raids. But the truth is mirage really benefits from the phantasms change so...

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

The thing is... I never had to memorize rotations to play effectively. I knew what my skills do and used them and everything was good. I CAN just memorize them like 99% community instead of using my brain while playing, but playing like that is not something that excites me.
    Also... I know what my skills are doing and I know what I am losing when I allow freedom currently. I lost very little before compared to what you lose now : P Sadly mirage became easier, because 1 missclick won't screw your dps, and chrono become more frustrating and boring, not even more difficult, just more spammerino.

I dont understand why people think that if you dont like something then you must do it wrong or youre "just" complaining. I said what I think because thats what this topic is for. I said the good AND the bad, not just complained too.
    I can still do everything I could do before. But its less fun on chrono now and more fun on mirage.
    Simple as that for me.
    I went from loving chrono specialization to hating playing it so I state an opinion , because I feel kinda unhappy.
    Yet I am not moaning over all forums and saying "anet you destroyed the game bla bla" so I have no idea why some people have problems with my opinion.
    Are they the people who cant stand if someone thinks different than them? People enjoy different things, deal with it.

You didn't say you are just unhappy, you said you dumped the class, and so did your guildmates apparently.

And your whole reasoning is that chrono was "waaaay" more fun because the skills had 2-3 seconds longer recharge. Because that's the difference we are talking about, even a long cooldown like Well of Recall is only 3 seconds faster now, 23.3s now compared to 26.3s before.

Or maybe you just enjoyed the easy mode of avengers providing alacrity.

Yes.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    I vote no, mostly because I can't do the maximum DPS rotations with it. People are getting 42k bursts and and 33k sustained DPS, and I can barely break a 30k burst after several hours of trying. After grinding the start of the fight on a golem, over and over again, food wasting away, for hours, and I still can't do it, then those numbers effectively don't exist for me. Power mesmer was a DPS loss for me this patch. "More active playstyle" effectively translates into "Unassailable by anyone who isn't super elite or uses macros".

........ You don't like the changed because you aren't as proficient with the new class yet? Seriously? You had years to perfect your chrono play, and more than 6 months to perfect your mirage play, and you've had less than 1 month to perfect your new mesmer play and you have already decided its trash because, even though the potential DPS is higher, you aren't as proficient with it yet? What kind of logic is that?

• i like the rework for pvp and wvw but not for pve it just feels bad in pve but very rewording in pvp and wvw

• Yes.

@OriOri.8724 said:

........ You don't like the changed because you aren't as proficient with the new class yet? Seriously? You had years to perfect your chrono play, and more than 6 months to perfect your mirage play, and you've had less than 1 month to perfect your new mesmer play and you have already decided its trash because, even though the potential DPS is higher, you aren't as proficient with it yet? What kind of logic is that?

Logic doesn’t matter. I’ve noticed that the majority of the people that complain about,or just straight dislike, the rework complain mostly because it’s a change. Remember the one person that was adamant that Mesmer dps was worse because they could only get between 8-15k dps on the golem? So many videos were posted in that thread showing 30k plus and they still would not recognize it. Why? They had to learn a new play style. Granted I don’t do PvE, but from my understanding the rotation isn’t hard to do. It’s a lot easier to not have to maintain phantasms and just summon them off cd.
    But that’s the crux of the problem, rather than go and summon three phantasms and essentially afk now there’s a bit more involved and the few that enjoyed that do not like actually being able to use the class mechanic without sacrificing dps. I keep expecting ithilwen to complain about it as they complain about every nerf but they’ve not they I’ve seen and if they are liking it then I really don’t see a problem with the patch.

edited February 28, 2018
    No.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

Simple as that for me.

You didn't say you are just unhappy, you said you dumped the class, and so did your guildmates apparently.

And your whole reasoning is that chrono was "waaaay" more fun because the skills had 2-3 seconds longer recharge. Because that's the difference we are talking about, even a long cooldown like Well of Recall is only 3 seconds faster now, 23.3s now compared to 26.3s before.

Or maybe you just enjoyed the easy mode of avengers providing alacrity.

i have no problems with keeping up alarcity because imo its easier now with share working on it. On some places when ranged tactics was in place (e.g. Deimos) keeping alarcity up is now easily possible and its as easy as it was with phantasms in melee situations.
    But yeah those 2-3 secs on every skill is a lot, because in whole rotation it meant like 10 secs of freedom or more. I could switch skills how I wanted and felt like, switch which one to cast and I had more freedom with what utility skills should I take.

I said I dumped chrono, because thats the truth. Am I not supposed to tell how things are with me and my friends?
    I also said I enjoy mirage more now. I feel that it was constructive opinion. Sorry if it offends you, but thats the truth and how I feel. I hate the change for chrono and it dropped from most fun class to least fun from the classes I played.

• dontlook.1823dontlook.1823 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I vote yes. But damage is underwhelming still. I don't they intended Chronomancer to really be our 'power' spec. Hopefully we'll get a properly tuned one with the release of another xpac. I was really looking forward to a more interactive/rewarding Mirage build with some interactions with the new phats. No such luck.. :\ Hopefully we get some buffs somewhere along the rode for Mirage.

More, more. More is always better. Chakata

• Yes.

I really like the rework. I've been levelling a mesmer exclusively to get the spec ascended weapons. I haven't enjoyed playing the class at all, it seemed awkard, overly complex without much reward and rather boring in terms of skill usage. Since the change, the playstyle has really clicked with me.I've gone from begrudging play to considering playing mes as my main. More skills are impactful, I can survive and adapt to different situations better. It just seems to make more sense now, it's more intuitive.

My only complaint is that the class seems to have to sacrifice a lot to gain any reasonable condi-cleanse. Cleansing and CC seem very all or nothing, but maybe I'll work it out with experience.

• Pyroatheist.9031Pyroatheist.9031 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

"I don't like the rework because I'm bad at chrono"

:extremethonk:

Ohey, I've got a signature

• No.

@OriOri.8724 said:

I wrote at length in other places my misgivings with the new rotations. The thing with the old chrono rotations, mirage rotations, and previous power rotations is that I could do them at competitive levels within an hour of trying. At least on a golem that doesn't fight back. Ditto for... pretty much every build on every class, sans one or two. With this most recent patch, mesmer is... different. I can't get anywhere near the benchmarks, let alone do it consistently, and I cannot figure out why. I follow the written and scripted rotations to the letter, and still I can't get the magic numbers everyone else pulls. Even when I managed to squeeze out all of the phantasms without autoattacking (sans the one swing after warden, which I cannot prevent no matter how hard I try), I peak at 33k burst.

"I know you're terrible with the class, but just play it for 6 months" is terrible advice in view of all of this. These deficiencies aren't going to magically go away. If I can't make a measured movement toward improvement in a clinical environment, then it isn't going to just happen after lumbering around incompetently for an undetermined amount of time. My hands are only so fast, and they aren't getting faster, so ultimately I will never get better at this class. I'm certain I'm not the only one suffering from this problem, either.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Phant spam in pvp is a little lame, I might just be a purest for shatter burst... BUT IT'S STUPIDLY FUN. xD

For PvE it's neat <3

• K THEN.5162K THEN.5162 Member ✭✭✭
    No.

While it was definitely a good change for pvers, the phantasms unfortunately take too long to change into a clone after completing their attack, making them rather useless in pvp for shatter fodder

WHAT?!? Did you expect something special would be written here

• Kundry.1249Kundry.1249 Member ✭✭
    Yes.

@K THEN.5162 said:
    While it was definitely a good change for pvers, the phantasms unfortunately take too long to change into a clone after completing their attack, making them rather useless in pvp for shatter fodder

But instead of merely being shatter fodder, they actually do meaningful damage now?

• Yukio blaster.9082Yukio blaster.9082 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018
    No.

I don't like it not because of the design, but because i know certainly that this rework is like having a new OP class that after a will get nerfed to the ground. so basically we gonna end up having the old phantasms dmg but for 1 time hit .

S A R À B

Yes.

@OriOri.8724 said:

I wrote at length in other places my misgivings with the new rotations. The thing with the old chrono rotations, mirage rotations, and previous power rotations is that I could do them at competitive levels within an hour of trying. At least on a golem that doesn't fight back. Ditto for... pretty much every build on every class, sans one or two. With this most recent patch, mesmer is... different. I can't get anywhere near the benchmarks, let alone do it consistently, and I cannot figure out why. I follow the written and scripted rotations to the letter, and still I can't get the magic numbers everyone else pulls. Even when I managed to squeeze out all of the phantasms without autoattacking (sans the one swing after warden, which I cannot prevent no matter how hard I try), I peak at 33k burst.

"I know you're terrible with the class, but just play it for 6 months" is terrible advice in view of all of this. These deficiencies aren't going to magically go away. If I can't make a measured movement toward improvement in a clinical environment, then it isn't going to just happen after lumbering around incompetently for an undetermined amount of time. My hands are only so fast, and they aren't getting faster, so ultimately I will never get better at this class. I'm certain I'm not the only one suffering from this problem, either.

So, again, you complain because you couldn't master the class after a single hour of playing it. And sorry, I must have forgotten that getting your rotation correct on the golem means that you will always get it correct in every real game situation in raids, how silly of me.

Stop being ridiculous. No one is forcing you to like mesmer, but your reasoning for not liking it is less than non-existent

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Rework is good. Power dps mesmer is a thing.

Yes.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

So, again, you complain because you couldn't master the class after a single hour of playing it. And sorry, I must have forgotten that getting your rotation correct on the golem means that you will always get it correct in every real game situation in raids, how silly of me.

Stop being ridiculous. No one is forcing you to like mesmer, but your reasoning for not liking it is less than non-existent

Tbh its fine to dislike it. Some ppl like more layed back gameplay with low effort and high reward. Its the same like saying i dont like ele or engie because theres to much buttons. Which is fair.

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

@K THEN.5162 said:

Completely agree.

The degenerate

• Refia Montes.3205Refia Montes.3205 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Chronomancer being reworked into our premier Phantasm spec and Mirage staying as a Clone spec is awesome. Being able to quadruple cast Swordsmen and them multiplying themselves through Chronophantasma made me enjoy Chronomancer even more. Even more with Power Chronomancer DPS. It's always been my Phantasy to fight enemies with multiple Illusions. Bringing an army to the fight in this case.

Dancer - Elite Spec Concept for Mesmer

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

It’s a big step in the right direction and the change makes balancing mesmer damage output a lot easier without having to consider the possibility of 3 phantasms being always out. There are tweaks that need to be done thought, some phantasms do a bit too much damage without the need to invest in damage, I’d love to see phantasms benefit from mesmer damage mods, stats, the whole lot while taking a hit to the base damage to even it all out. If you don’t take damage traits you shouldn’t do much damage regardless of the skills used.

Anyway we’ll have to see what this March patch does, I have a feeling we will see phantasm damage nerfs and a few things. We may not see too many changes either as it’s a skill split patch so where a traits functionality needs adjusting then it will most likely be put off.

Yes.

Since they are rolling a patch every month/ month and a half nowdays id like then to take a patch off of mesmer to see how things are and make the right nerfs.

Then again its aney so kitten me right xd

• No.

@OriOri.8724 said:

Try eight hours on the golem alone, spread out among a few days. Your rant here doesn't make sense: my point is that if I can't do the burst damage in a clinical environment, then I sure am not going to do it in a real situation. Somehow you've translated this into me equivocating the two, even though my whole point is that they aren't. Just to be really clear, here are the two places in the two posts where I bring up this exact fact

Let alone maintaining this level of perfection through for several minutes of playing. Let alone in an actual battle, and not on a static golem where you don't have to worry about boss mechanics.

If I can't make a measured movement toward improvement in a clinical environment, then it isn't going to just happen after lumbering around incompetently for an undetermined amount of time.

The problem is that you are the one who's trying to force me to like the mesmer. I posted up my complaints, and instead of letting to each their own, you've taken this as an opportunity to kitten about my situation, while not even reading my posts. Because if you did read the posts, you would've seen that I wrote "several hours" in the first place. You have decided that it is not O.K. for me to dislike the new phantasms, that I am not allowed to have an opinion because I haven't grinded with the profession for several months, and you've come to this decision before even trying to understand why I say what I do or bothering to address my points. I would have to say the fact that I can't get the class to work right is a pretty existent and legitimate reason for not liking it.

You, sir, should be ashamed.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Yes!
    The Phantasms rework was perfect for the class.
    The confusion rework was a bit poor for PvE Mesmers, but they improved it a bit by trading confusion for torment in a few skills, which made the class more viable again.

So basically;
    Support Chrono is now as good or better for quickness and alacrity uptimes.
    Power Chrono/Mesmer is now very viable.
    Condi Mirage is still one of the strongest classes.

So pretty much the change opened up the class to more viable builds and options, which is very positive.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

It works way better than before. And it opens a few new possibilities, since phantasms are also delayted clones. So you can time your shatters as clones are produced. A total 3 for one benefit.

It just needs a bit toning down.

• Agent Noun.7350Agent Noun.7350 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

It's remarkably similar to my "radical redesign" suggestion in this thread so yeah, I like it a lot.

(I want to jokingly take credit but I'm well aware that game development and iteration takes way, way too long for my suggestion to have had any sort of impact at all, and also that I'm far from the only person to make a similar suggestion. I'll just settle for "great minds think alike" or something.)

Yes.

@OriOri.8724 said:

Try eight hours on the golem alone, spread out among a few days. Your rant here doesn't make sense: my point is that if I can't do the burst damage in a clinical environment, then I sure am not going to do it in a real situation. Somehow you've translated this into me equivocating the two, even though my whole point is that they aren't. Just to be really clear, here are the two places in the two posts where I bring up this exact fact

Let alone maintaining this level of perfection through for several minutes of playing. Let alone in an actual battle, and not on a static golem where you don't have to worry about boss mechanics.

If I can't make a measured movement toward improvement in a clinical environment, then it isn't going to just happen after lumbering around incompetently for an undetermined amount of time.

The problem is that you are the one who's trying to force me to like the mesmer. I posted up my complaints, and instead of letting to each their own, you've taken this as an opportunity to kitten about my situation, while not even reading my posts. Because if you did read the posts, you would've seen that I wrote "several hours" in the first place. You have decided that it is not O.K. for me to dislike the new phantasms, that I am not allowed to have an opinion because I haven't grinded with the profession for several months, and you've come to this decision before even trying to understand why I say what I do or bothering to address my points. I would have to say the fact that I can't get the class to work right is a pretty existent and legitimate reason for not liking it.

You, sir, should be ashamed.

I'm not trying to force you to like anything. I'm trying to get you to see that you don't have a valid reason to not like the redesign.

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

@OriOri.8724 said:

Your entire reason for not liking this change is because it makes what was arguably the most boring and simplistic DPS builds in the game take more than a few hours to be good with.

What of all the advantages it has brought in PvP, WvW (ok less so here) and PvE? Before mesmers never shattered, now they can freely shatter and use the effects (blind on shatter, invuln to block stuff, CC on diversion) if they like without worrying about a prolonged period of poor damage or support. Now mirage can actually utilise phantasms for a damage increase in the IH build without worrying about it being a damage loss.

I feel you haven’t properly and objectively weighed up the advantages vs disadvantages. Maybe you should be asking for advise to see if there’s something really obvious you’re missing out of the rotation or doing wrong, it could be something very simple that you haven’t noticed like when my friend was always 10k under benchmark till I pointed out she didn’t have any vulnerability on the golem, not saying that is your issue btw, just an example of small things causing big problems.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2018
    Yes.

Resounding YES! :)

Also I love the new iMage - sure it could do with a cooldown reduction and maybe phantasm's skill cast time reduction but it's really nice in both animation and effect. For example I'd like to be able to use it as a consistent interrupt on opponents ressing downed or stomping, but the phantasm takes too long to use its attack to make it reliable enough for this (I suppose no worse than Wolf F2 fear on ranger, but still...).

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Vieux P.1238Vieux P.1238 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.

No... because except berserker, most of the phantasm are slow & don't get to deliver there damage. So there just there as clone generators & keeping enemies confused on
    witch one you are.

Winter Nerf is coming!

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

I dig it for the most part. There are some oddities though. I still find the fact that we can't shatter phantasms really awkward. It makes setting up combos kind of a pain. I find myself wishing it could just shatter the phantasm immediately a lot of times. Specifically the Focus and Staff phantasms. I don't like the Focus phantasm. It ruins everything that was good about it's previous incarnation. It destroyed projectiles, could be traited to reflect them, and would spawn get in the opponent's face to do it's attack which made it excellent for cleaving enemies.

Now it's ranged which makes it's ability to destroy and reflect projectiles much less useful since chances are it'll be positioned in a completely useless spot for defensive purposes. Not because it's ranged you can't just spawn it in a pack of enemies. Now you absolutely need to pull enemies into it. Before you could just spawn it into a group of enemies, allowing you to save temporal curtain for enemies moving out of position or chaining more projectile reflection. The sword is better cleaving weapon at this point and it's better single target. Overall I don't like anything they did to the focus phantasm.

I also find the staff one just odd. Not bad, in fact it's quite good. Odd. It's so powerful as a power phantasm when the staff has always been more condition orientated. I just in general miss condition damage's ability to succeed in pvp. I never agreed with how many players just kitten endlessly about condition damage in PvP. It should be a valid part of PvP just like power. Condition mesmers would be more prevalent if the most useful if the best weapon in PvP for a condition damage build had a phantasm that was great for condition damage builds.

The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

• Yes.

I like the new rework. Def feels ANET is moving in the right direction for the Mesmer profession and it’s “Illusionary Duelist” theme.

• Jace al Thor.6745Jace al Thor.6745 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

@mortrialus.3062 said:
    I dig it for the most part. There are some oddities though. I still find the fact that we can't shatter phantasms really awkward. It makes setting up combos kind of a pain. I find myself wishing it could just shatter the phantasm immediately a lot of times. Specifically the Focus and Staff phantasms. I don't like the Focus phantasm. It ruins everything that was good about it's previous incarnation. It destroyed projectiles, could be traited to reflect them, and would spawn get in the opponent's face to do it's attack which made it excellent for cleaving enemies.

Now it's ranged which makes it's ability to destroy and reflect projectiles much less useful since chances are it'll be positioned in a completely useless spot for defensive purposes. Not because it's ranged you can't just spawn it in a pack of enemies. Now you absolutely need to pull enemies into it. Before you could just spawn it into a group of enemies, allowing you to save temporal curtain for enemies moving out of position or chaining more projectile reflection. The sword is better cleaving weapon at this point and it's better single target. Overall I don't like anything they did to the focus phantasm.

I also find the staff one just odd. Not bad, in fact it's quite good. Odd. It's so powerful as a power phantasm when the staff has always been more condition orientated. I just in general miss condition damage's ability to succeed in pvp. I never agreed with how many players just kitten endlessly about condition damage in PvP. It should be a valid part of PvP just like power. Condition mesmers would be more prevalent if the most useful if the best weapon in PvP for a condition damage build had a phantasm that was great for condition damage builds.

I learned long ago staff isn’t a condi weapon. It’s more a support/defensive weapon because it tries to do everything at once. But let me tell you, I don’t go into WvW without it. Phase retreat plus jaunt its life now.

• Refia Montes.3205Refia Montes.3205 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Well Warlock was never Condi focused even before the rework. I think Staff is more of a utility weapon more than a Condi weapon though.

Dancer - Elite Spec Concept for Mesmer

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:

I learned long ago staff isn’t a condi weapon. It’s more a support/defensive weapon because it tries to do everything at once. But let me tell you, I don’t go into WvW without it. Phase retreat plus jaunt its life now.

QFT.

In any case Staff is awesome in hybrid, and the phantasms synergise with this nicely.

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Jace al Thor.6745Jace al Thor.6745 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:

QFT.

In any case Staff is awesome in hybrid, and the phantasms synergise with this nicely.

My only complaint with jaunt is I’d love it to have just a smidge more range. I firmly believe 600 range would be the sweet spot but probably wouldn’t go over well as we could out distance everyone.

I like that we get two phantasms but, and could just be me, I feel like they’re doing less damage now than before. Granted my playstyle in WvW is drastically different than most. I would love to see staff and scepter to some love though. Staff needs a small power damage increase and projectile speed increase for the AA, revert chaos storm and armor to the original design or decrease the cd’s. As it is chaos storm is... weak imo and no one wants chaos armor. I use it to maintain protection but loved when it did blind too.
    We could do an entire thread, and have about scepter changes.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.