PoF: annoyingly huge aggro radius

Ashantara.8731

I have to say, as much as I love the expansion, the fact that you are constantly under attack, thus unable to check out the map and your terrain options in peace, is quite an unnerving fact. Often, you get dismounted due to the mount taking too much damage, and the radius by which most enemies spot and attack you is ridiculous.

We have so much to look out for already, because some Mastery Points, for instance, are in very difficult places. Also, the frequent need to change between mounts, which per se can get quite frustrating, isn't helped either with this additional level of annoyance. Constantly being forced to dismount and fight is really getting on my nerves by now. Maybe you can tone it down a little?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, yes, i was about to make a simmilar thread. What the hell is with the aggro radius? I get it, it'a a high level map, but so was HoT but that didn't have enemies hunting you to oblivion... I mean, sure, i get it, they needed to increase the aggro radius because of the mounts, they are faster and can cover more ground so enemies need to spot you sooner and chase you longer otherwise you'd just be able to never engage anything and just be on your mount. But once we dismount, can't they lower the chase aggro radius? I had 3 veterans following me across half the map until they finally killed me because you can't mount in combat to outrun them, and you can't outrun them on foot either. They just keep spamming their attacks and your healing runs out far sooner than their aggro radius.

So basically if you run into something you can't really handle, you're dead... Lol, what? In all the other maps, if you ran into trouble, you could just leg it and save yourself.Lower the "on foot" aggro radius Anet...

On the top of that, the mobs seem to repop almost instantly. I kill one, and another one repops before I'm done killing the next. Not that there's much point in fighting anyway, don't need more xp.

So most of my experience so far consists of running away and dodging attacks. Not exactly my idea of fun, and definitely doesn't feel 'heroic'. And that's with a Guardian. Can't imagine what it'll be like with my squishier alts.

Yeah, they just need to adjust the "on foot" aggro radius and make the mobs spawn a bit less frequently because the way they are now are relentless, you can't escape them and you're basically in combat mode every time you're not on a mount... And since you can't heal as fast and as much as they can chase you and spawn it's a bit annoying... The mobs in HoT weren't like that nor are they on any other map so idk what's the deal here.

The Jackal is amazing for covering PoF ground, you can spam blink to avoid the AoE attacks and traps. However, if you face an obstacle and need to switch mounts, you'll have ten mobs surrounding you.

I agree the aggro radius is a little annoying, every other mount (even raptor) gets nuked down in seconds annoyingly often.

Aggro radius is no larger than anywhere else in game, it's standard...there just might be more enemies concentrated near points that we need to interact with than we've experienced before, even with HoT. Try dismounting and standing in an area away from mobs, then move towards the mob, you'll find the aggro radius is the same whether mounted or on foot...and it's no larger than core or HoT(i.e. - it's standard).

I would echo everything here; however, Zaklex has to be playing a different game. The agro is relentless and there isn't a lot of enjoyment. I'm literally ready to move back to the old maps. I can't even take a minute to look at loot in a town because there are wasps and spiders under every reveal. On a side note, I stood at a waypoint with a pet and was afk and come back with another 30k xp from agro so don't tell us the radius is the same Z. It is not!

@Zaklex.6308 said:Try dismounting and standing in an area away from mobs, then move towards the mob, you'll find the aggro radius is the same

Let us assume this was true, you still can't deny that the number, respawn times, and strength of mobs on HoT maps were laughable compared to what we are facing here. It's a sheer overload of constantly being forced to engage in combat, whether you want to or not.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:The Jackal is amazing for covering PoF ground, you can spam blink to avoid the AoE attacks and traps.

Okay, so basically, we are facing the same issue here as we already did in HoT: The expansion only becomes fun at the point you have all the masteries (in PoF those are linked to the mounts) leveled to a certain extent (preferably maxed out). Before that, it is very, very tedious, a real pain in the behind.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I have to say, as much as I love the expansion, the fact that you are constantly under attack, thus unable to check out the map and your terrain options in peace, is quite an unnerving fact. Often, you get dismounted due to the mount taking too much damage, and the radius by which most enemies spot and attack you is ridiculous.

We have so much to look out for already, because some Mastery Points, for instance, are in very difficult places. Also, the frequent need to change between mounts, which per se can get quite frustrating, isn't helped either with this additional level of annoyance. Constantly being forced to dismount and fight is really getting on my nerves by now. Maybe you can tone it down a little?

@Zaklex.6308 said:Aggro radius is no larger than anywhere else in game, it's standard...there just might be more enemies concentrated near points that we need to interact with than we've experienced before, even with HoT. Try dismounting and standing in an area away from mobs, then move towards the mob, you'll find the aggro radius is the same whether mounted or on foot...and it's no larger than core or HoT(i.e. - it's standard).

It has nothing to do with the concentration of mobs. The concentration of mobs is actually pretty spread out compared to HoT for example, but when i have 3 veterans, following me across half the map, something is wrong here... I didn't just end up running into a different mob cluster, the same ones were chasing me. And it happens a lot with any mobs.

Ok, i'm exaggerating about half the map, but it's still large enough that you can't outrun them. Maybe the initial radius isn't different, but they chase you far longer than on HoT maps or standard maps...

It's not just the aggro, it's the insane spawn rate. I was in a cave (looked like a dwelling) dealing with some veteran bats, I kill one another immediately spawns. This happened over and over, it just wouldn't end. The interior of the caved looked cool, but I never got a chance to check it out. Over by the brand I was caught in a small area by some veteran forged things, again they just kept spawning. Someone finally came along and helped out and eventually they stopped spawning. It was easily 10 or 12 veterans, 2 or 3 at a time. I like a challenge, but this is ridiculous.

I've been chased for ages after trying to fight enemies, realizing it's a losing fight, trying to escape, and get pursued a ridiculous distance and unable to get back on my mount. And then of course there's no clear path of enemies so I keep aggroing more and eventually die because I can't ever get out of combat.

If enemies have ridiculous aggro range because of mounts, we should be able to get back on mounts while in combat. Otherwise it's just more difficult for no reason.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Also, the frequent need to change between mounts, which per se can get quite frustrating, isn't helped either with this additional level of annoyance.

You can bind a individual mount-dismount-key for every mount in your options. With this individual-mount-keys, switching mounts is faster and feels more fluid (if you don't have aggro).

@Zodi.8932 said:It's also crazy how fast they hit you and knock you off your mount

In other games you get dismounted with one hit (mount got no hit points) so be glad ours at least have some.

As for the OP, I haven't been to all maps, only the first 2, so it might be different later on, however, the only time I got more attention than I thought I would was by those Sand Sharks. Every other mob I've faced thus far attacked me at a predictable distance but those things have a weird attack range. I guess it's due to their size or something but it is annoying when a group of those start charging you from really far away.

I'm curious if there are mobs in later parts of Path of Fire that behave like the Risen Acolytes of Orr which seem to engage the player from miles away, this hasn't been fixed yet to my knowledge.

Didn't notice it and I played for like 20h this weekend...

There was only one part out of the water in Amnoon Oasis in the south with the scarabs. I had aggro for like 500 meters lol wtf. But that was the only time I though their aggro leash is out of place. I don't know what you do to get knocked off the mount. Never had that issue.

This issue really bugging me right now, im a explorer guys and i like to see my surround, watch if i can climb up this mount or i can walk by foot, BUT the amount of aggro this expantion is ridiculous, the range of attack of harpy its over 2000 range, i swear it. Also the distance of pursued is astonishing. They need to turn this into a less frustrating experience.Gw2 is no a grinding game according to Anet, but the amount of mod in map is like were no suppose to explore, were here to clean the map for attune one mastery or maybe to get out hero point. Let the event bring the fight to the map and no every 5 meter of exploration.