How about implementing permanent no downstate?

Farout.8207

Just curious who all would be for making no downstate permanent. I was skeptical when Anet first mentioned it but now I really miss it. It was a blast and allowed me to win some outnumbered fights that I most likely would have lost otherwise. What exactly is the point of downstate anyway?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the no downstate week as, like you, I won more outnumbered fights solo and as a guild group (I love fighting outnumbered), however to make it permanent wouldnt be the best idea.

What I would love to see are more "week long" no down state events, maybe 1 week every month or 2 (just spit balling).

Maybe having it more frequently in EotM or DBL to get more peeps in them? (also just spit balling)

I actually think it favours guild groups more, coordinated pushes will rally themselves against the larger blob who, if are bad will just die and rally the small man guild. This gives the small coordinated guild more "lives" or more "numbers" in an outnumbered fight. Why will I bother lying when downstate favours closed squads anyway? Besides this with the theme of the alliance system who will tell pugs to gtfo too. Unless have been slow all this while and the real posters are actually pugs pushing for no downstate lol

@"Gwaihir.1745" said:If your post is only 3 words you are part of the blob problem in wvw.

Try putting up a real reason other than repost rehtoric.

I have stated before my reason as to why I do not want No Downstate, I don't feel like I should have to re-post that argument 40 different times. I don't want it, it's not because I am part of the "blob problem" you wrongly assume I am against it for. Try not assuming people's reasons as to why they don't want it and just accept that not everybody favors a position you favor.

@Roxanne.6140 said:I don't really get why people say downstate favours the larger blob. I mean, if your small man squad is really good, you would be able to rally your squadmates as well

It favours two different things:

• Numbers
  • Organization

Yes, it can benefit organized groups, like a well oiled havoc group or combat guild etc. But it also favors just pure numbers, as you can see in typical pug zergs, where they can endlessly just rez each others up, or just spew out so much aoes that things dies and they rally.

People just tend to focus on one of the two, and ignore the other part.

The ones that gain next to no benefit from this are roamers, though I have seen it being used down to as low as 3 man groups vs 10+, where couple of the players been good enough to be able to spike down enemies in order to rally one of their own.

@"Gwaihir.1745" said:If your post is only 3 words you are part of the blob problem in wvw.

Try putting up a real reason other than repost rehtoric.

I'm also against it. I'm no zerg player. I roam solo and with guild mates. No downstate just promotes cheesy one shot builds with high disengage potential. And what about scrapper, bloodmagic necro and all the other good rezz builds? Rezz builds are not only played in blobs. We play them sometimes just because we can in a 3 man guild group and can sometimes get the upper hand on a 5 man roaming group just because of this. It enables tactics which are non meta (and these tactics sometimes work just beause they are non meta, opponent has to figure out what to do which costs them time they do not have). It would push oneshot build, require enormous reworks on some classes and might end up in another "DPS or get out"-meta... yay. Bunker meta isn't fun either, but now you can play both and it works.So... how about no?

Downstate is not really a game feature but a flaw more like a pve gimmick.Dont understand what dum dums are saying that no downstate gives advantage to a bigger groups when you have a better chance to kill youre opponents when outnumbered without it if its a bigger group they will just rez and you cant do anything anyway (only a rez deathpit can be an advantage but meh).No downstate rewards skill punishes bad positionng and arrogance.Downstate on the other hand is just a hinderance that disrupts the flow of the battle and is verry cheese.If they wanted to make a more fair and balances exp then would remove downstate and start from there.just remakeing a few talents and adding some points to base hp would be fine enough.Could make the finishers be activated on the killing blow too or something like that.Down state could be moderately tolerable if it was only 1 time per combat engagement with less hp and get out of combat range was a little bit longer.If you think down state is good i have 1 question for you.You like to ride a bike with training weels?

@"Specialka.7290" said:Would be great, can't get me to play Wvw currently with Downstate. It favors too much bad players which are against the No Downstate.

Wrong, it favours good players because good teamwork, correct fast decision making, etc makes for better outcomes when it comes to stomps, resses, hence why actual good players (when this game still had some good players - TCG, Orange Logo, etc ) made better use of it than even other "pro" teams, let alone WvW players.

@zinkz.7045 said:

@"Specialka.7290" said:Would be great, can't get me to play Wvw currently with Downstate. It favors too much bad players which are against the No Downstate.

Wrong, it favours good players because good teamwork, correct fast decision making, etc makes for better outcomes when it comes to stomps, resses, hence why actual good players (when this game still had some good players - TCG, Orange Logo, etc ) made better use of it than even other "pro" teams, let alone WvW players.

Downstate favors bad players because it is favors zergs. No Downstate favors good players, as it should be.

@Specialka.7290 said:

@Specialka.7290 said:Would be great, can't get me to play Wvw currently with Downstate. It favors too much bad players which are against the No Downstate.

Downstate favors bad players because it is favors zergs. No Downstate favors good players, as it should be.

If used properly Downstate can help fight against bigger zergs. Place traps and target AoE's on the downed while the zerg tries to rez them. Watch more of the zerg die because of their foolish attempt to try to rez their players instead of letting them slowly die. If you know what you are doing when it comes to downstated players you can whittle away more of a big blob than you can trying to pirate ship bomb them or by trying to pick off their scragglers that are trailing behind.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

@Specialka.7290 said:Would be great, can't get me to play Wvw currently with Downstate. It favors too much bad players which are against the No Downstate.

If used properly Downstate can help fight against bigger zergs. Place traps and target AoE's on the downed while the zerg tries to rez them. Watch more of the zerg die because of their foolish attempt to try to rez their players instead of letting them slowly die. If you know what you are doing when it comes to downstated players you can whittle away more of a big blob than you can trying to pirate ship bomb them or by trying to pick off their scragglers that are trailing behind.

But without downed state you can just blow people up and be done with it.

@Specialka.7290 said:

Not really, two zergs of 30, one has better players than other, the one with better players will do better with stomps/resses than the one with worse players, same as if it was 5v5, downstate favours better players.

You seem to complaining it favours the side with the most numbers in a fight, that is not the same as favouring bad players.

Oh yes, newsflash - good players aren't playing a 6 year old MMORPG (or frankly any MMORPG) that is competitively dead and that is relatively low skilled (especially WvW). Outside of teams competing in PvP (which was a long time ago) this has never been a game for skilled PvP and good players, good players realise that...

@"Farout.8207" said:Just curious who all would be for making no downstate permanent. I was skeptical when Anet first mentioned it but now I really miss it. It was a blast and allowed me to win some outnumbered fights that I most likely would have lost otherwise. What exactly is the point of downstate anyway?

No. First, any idea implemented into the game should be balanced around balance scenarios. If anything the reason you gave is why we need a downstate. In general, no downstate favors burst, and twitchy game play. This is regardless if it is "blobbing" or "roaming."

Second, the point of downstate is just that, an extra chance to survive/fight back. If players are not accounting for a mechanic that has been around for 5 years into their strategy then you're going to be at a disadvantage. Personally, I'd remove the auto-rally aspect but that's irrelevant to this response.

Third, if it hasn't been obvious this is a casual game mode. It is persistent 24/7, and a threeway. Those two big things suggest it isn't going to cater to intense competitive additions to please players with more reflex (usually younger people), so any comments relating to "skill" can mostly be ignored given twitchy game play can be correlated to age or at the very least veterans that built up their muscle memory. If people are going to keep complaining that the game is dying then you need elements that are going to increase new players, not ones that give little feed back on failure or a chance to survive. If the new players always lose they stop playing, thus we have less people to fight/ppt. Sort of like the relationship of a small rat and big rat when play fighting. Despite be capable of winning 100%, the big rat will intentionally lose 25% of the time so the weaker rat will keep playing.

It was an interesting short term burst of activity for sure, but by no means should be long term. If your only reasoning is to win a 1v1+X fantasy this isn't sufficient for me.

Change my mind.

D:

@Specialka.7290 said:

zergs <> bad players. There are lots of skilled players in zergs.

GW2 already has a mode for those that like small-scale fights, it's called spvp. WvW is the only mode for those who like large-scale fights, don't ruin the only thing we have by favoring one-shot-and-run cheese builds or solo/small-scale players.

@Israel.7056 said:

But without downed state you can just blow people up and be done with it.

Not really. If there is no Downed players in need of rezzing, the zerg will just continue to move on and let the people who were defeated run back to the zerg taking their chances in facing Mirages and Thieves being stealthed and looking to gank anybody running by with their one shot builds. If a zerg that is dependent upon their numbers stops to rez those that are downed that gives you a better chance in taking out more of that zerg. Usually when it comes to a zerg only those that were out of range of Stab and Shields are the ones that go down fast. Then those that are more protected will try to rez those that went down. So you usually do not lose many players to the first initial bomb. Once they start to rez those players you start seeing more being picked off as they are losing their protection and Stab and are now down trying to rez instead of trying to attack.

No Downed state favors the larger more skilled players, like some of those in EU that like to hop servers and overload them with dedicated WvW Guilds, and the Elite PvPers that like to roam around on stealth Mirage or Thief builds that can one shot people or gang up with a group of like minded individuals that will place themselves in front of a respawn point ganking those trying to run back to the zerg.

Archived