New mastery suggestion: Self-repair

So this is about armor damage and it's an attempt to remove the obligation of going to an anvil to repair every time our amor takes damage, while avoiding rendering instant repair canisters useless. It has no goal other than slightly improving the general quality of life while adding a fun mastery to train.

The idea would be to have a new functionnality, either as part of Advanced Logistics or as a new Pact Commander mastery, that would repair one stack of armor damage every hour or so (so if we died 3 times in a row for example, it would take 3 hours to fully repair). A bit like a long-term downed penalty.

That way, having instant repair canisters or anvils nearby is still useful in difficult instances where you risk dying a lot, but the meaningless preoccupation of having to remember repairing our armor after each death is removed.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I don't think it's very necessary; I probably run by an anvil more than once in 3 hours. Plus, some players already find it difficult to acquire enough Core Mastery Points.

Good luck.

The team released several in core maps a long time ago. All you need to do is walk over to most and press a button. xD. HoT has harder mastery points to max out.

Honestly, the whole thing with armor is pointless as it stands. If they add this, maybe there can be a raw (Mithril, Ori, Silk, etc) crafting item cost? That way no one has to waypoint, but there is still some cost to doing it.

While this would be a nice QoL upgrade, I still find it kind of unnecessary. Like already mentioned, anvils are absolutely everywhere, save for instances, but a hour-long wait per armor part in an instance wouldn't do much good anyway. The whole armor repairing thing is kind of outdated and pointless anyway, I'd rather see them do away with it for good.

I also hate the idea of a new Core Tyria mastery because of the mastery points. Even with the semi-recently added MP insights and LW2 I barely maxed my masteries, and have earned only 2 extra points ever since (versus a dozen extra leftover MPs from HoT). Getting the rest would be an incredibly long and frustrating grind, and I know people who swear will never max their Tyria masteries because the points are difficult to obtain as it is. Of course, it would be a different story if Anet added new easily-obtainable MPs to go with a new mastery.

A neat idea though.

I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding regarding "Damaged" armor and "Broken" armor:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Repairs

• "Broken" armor has a negative effect on your character's stats.
  • "Damaged" armor has no effect on your character's stats.
  • Armor does not break until all 7 equipped armor items are designated as being "Damaged".(Helm, Shoulder, Chest, Gloves, Leggings, Boots, Backpack)

A repair is not required after every single death and is instead needed only after the 7th "Damaged" armor piece if negative effects by an 8th death are to be avoided.

As remembering to repair your armor is only something you need to do after having died 7 times via non-WvW combat before armor becoming "Broken" and negatively affecting armor stats is an issue, I could see some aspects of your idea being useful.

Perhaps something like:

• 1 piece of armor affected at a time starting with "Broken" armor and then moving on to repair "Damaged" armor.
  • 1 piece of "Broken" armor downgrades to "Damaged" every hour while online or offline until all armor is simply "Damaged".
  • 1 piece of "Damaged" armor then self-repairs every hour while online or offline until all armor is repaired.

At the extreme of a character having 7 pieces of "Broken" armor, it would take 7 hours for all "Broken" armor to downgrade to "Damaged"and then 7 more hours for all "Damaged" armor to downgrade to undamaged.

A total of 14 hours for 7 "Broken" pieces of armor to become fully repaired could prevent the entire self-repair ability from being pointless:

• It could keep methods of immediate repair viable for the current play session (Repair Canisters, Anvils, Swapping Armor)
  • It is long enough to likely not be of much help during a current play session, but more for the next day's play session where you start off fully undamaged.

If something like this function were to ever be implemented, there are likely plenty of ways that it could be configured so it is useful to many players, but not too useful. However, for my style of play I would likely not even notice it doing its thing - I've not had to repair broken armor on any characters this entire year so far. If it were implemented though, I would not see it as a bad thing.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm aware of the added Core Mastery Points; how many Mastery Points will this new tier require? Ten? Twelve? More?

Besides, it requires 7 or 8 defeats before there is even any consequences.

Still, if this is something the playerbase finds worthy of Dev development and resources, sobeit.

Heh, you're not wrong about mastery points. I still need 39 mastery points for HoT to complete the masteries there and for the Core ones also another bunch that I will never get probably. So far with PoF I've been doing quite well.

And yeah, even as a casual player I don't die that much that it's really a problem to go to the anvil here and there. I definitely run into an anvil next to a merchant or something well before I even get to where I really need to repair armor.

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" said:While this would be a nice QoL upgrade, I still find it kind of unnecessary. Like already mentioned, anvils are absolutely everywhere, save for instances, but a hour-long wait per armor part in an instance wouldn't do much good anyway. The whole armor repairing thing is kind of outdated and pointless anyway, I'd rather see them do away with it for good.

I also hate the idea of a new Core Tyria mastery because of the mastery points. Even with the semi-recently added MP insights and LW2 I barely maxed my masteries, and have earned only 2 extra points ever since (versus a dozen extra leftover MPs from HoT). Getting the rest would be an incredibly long and frustrating grind, and I know people who swear will never max their Tyria masteries because the points are difficult to obtain as it is. Of course, it would be a different story if Anet added new easily-obtainable MPs to go with a new mastery.

A neat idea though.

Excuse me but you can't say that it's unnecessary and then say that you wouldn't like it to be locked behind mastery points ^^If you don't care about the functionnality, you don't have to farm the masteries, simple as that :pAnd I don't see why it should absolutely require more mastery points than the previous ones. It can be a 2 or 3 points mastery, no need to make it extreemly difficult. But if that really is a problem, as I already said, there's always the possibility of simply adding the functionnality to an already existing mastery

StinVec.3621 beautifully clarified the idea, I didn't precise it but I was indeed thinking of a priority system to repair "broken" armor before "damaged" armor. What you described is exactly the process I had in mind.

This would only really be useful in instanced content ? Everywhere else you should have access to repair stations, or just the ability to drop by GH, WvW, PvP or any other map where you can teleport to and back, just to repair.

At which point I wonder, the game does throw the random repair cannister at us, why not bring it along and use it once you get a broken armor piece ?

I do agree that the broken armor system doesn't serve much of a purpose, but it does serve a very minor purpose, and it is probably more work to remove it than just leaving it in place. Especially considering how easy it is to repair.

Why can't we repair our stuff on any bonfire?And why do we need an anvil to repair our silk and brocade 'armor'? Carrying needle and thread would be easier... (apart from some crafting backpacks actually having anvils on them...)And why do we have to repair our armor after we get defeated, but being downed and rallying 20 times doesn't scratch it?Why do we never repair our weapons after thousands of hours of bashing skulls with the very same greatsword?

I understand that damaged and broken armor is a sort of death penalty and, having played GW1, I assure you that I understand that it could be much, much worse.But times have changed. In a game where every player had their own instance, having a stacking penalty was a pain. In a game where you are actually never alone and everything is about loot, being finished is death penalty enough by itself. Because especially in the newer maps, being finished means having to run a rather lengthy time to reach the designated area again. I noticed that while doing the Petey collection and I needed those Scarab Experiments. Guess what? The Golem finished me while it had 5% left, but out of "Dead WP!" reflex, I respawned and didn't make it in time to catch some. My fault for playing too much core maps, I know :p

So, in my opinion, being finished and having to do the 'walk of shame' is enough penalty by itself.

Yet, because I'm a realist, I still agree with what @joneirikb.7506 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:I do agree that the broken armor system doesn't serve much of a purpose, but it does serve a very minor purpose, and it is probably more work to remove it than just leaving it in place. Especially considering how easy it is to repair.

Even if that very minor purpose is all about annoying us, I understand that the effort to remove the system might outweigh the benefits.

@joneirikb.7506 said:This would only really be useful in instanced content ? Everywhere else you should have access to repair stations, or just the ability to drop by GH, WvW, PvP or any other map where you can teleport to and back, just to repair.

At which point I wonder, the game does throw the random repair cannister at us, why not bring it along and use it once you get a broken armor piece ?

I do agree that the broken armor system doesn't serve much of a purpose, but it does serve a very minor purpose, and it is probably more work to remove it than just leaving it in place. Especially considering how easy it is to repair.

No, it wouldn't be useful in instanced content. That is kinda the point, offer a long-term armor repair without changing the instanced content (in order to keep instant repair canisters useful).

@"Vegeta.2563" said:Eh.. just get a https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Repair_Contract .. be done with it.

lol

First of, you say that like it's the cheap thing that costs 2 silvers at any random merchant...Second, that does not fix the issue I want to adress at all.Sure, the action of clicking on an anvil (or a canister, or a repair contract...) is not difficult. It is not long. But it is annoyning. And unnecessary unless you really die a lot. I think penalties for dying a lot are a good thing, but right now it acts as an annoyance for players who don't die that often and never get to a "broken" armor. It's an unnecessary action to remember and to make every now and then, which could be avoided with a repair-over-time system, without removing the idea of being penalized for dying a lot in a short time.

In others words, players who die a lot in a short time will still need to repair their broken armor, because one repaired stack every hour will change almost nothing for them.On the other hand, players who only die every once in a while won't have to have that concern of repairing their armor every time that occurs anymore. In practice, their death/playtime ratio is low enough that by the time their armor receives 8 damage stacks, they would have had the occasion to use an anvil anyway, so might as well make it automatic for them.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@ROMANG.1903 said:So this is about armor damage and it's an attempt to remove the obligation of going to an anvil to repair every time our amor takes damage

So? What's the big deal?

Also, your suggestion would render this item useless:

I feel like you didn't even read the whole first post...

@ROMANG.1903 said:That way, having instant repair canisters or anvils nearby is still useful in difficult instances where you risk dying a lot, but the meaningless preoccupation of having to remember repairing our armor after each death is removed.

If you die 10 times in your instance, having one stack repaired every hour will not change anything. You will still have to repair, and having a repair canister with you will still be useful. It would simply remove the annoyance of having to think about it when you die just once in open world.

That would trivialize all of the more challenging story bosses - you could just endlessly bum-rush without taking any consequence for dying.

If you do that now, you will eventually have to leave the instance, repair, and start over until you figure out what you are doing wrong.

I would like more skippable dialog, however.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Plautze.6290" said:Why can't we repair our stuff on any bonfire?
  1. This isn't Blade And Soul.
  2. "On" a bonfire?
  3. Bonfires aren't hot enough to repair metal armour, especially e.g. Darksteel, Mithril, and Orichalcum.
  4. Bonfires are too hot to repair leather or cloth armour.

1. I was actually referring to Dark Souls.
  2. Hard to imagine, but there are indeed people whose native language is not English. How dare I come to your forums :p
  3. Since we are smart-assing already: Nobody would repair their metal armour using fire, even if it was hot enough. Hammer and anvil are the more appropriate tools.
  4. Even if the fire was cold enough (like burning pure Ethanol), many would still prefer other tools, I suppose.

@Plautze.6290 said:

@Plautze.6290 said:Why can't we repair our stuff on any bonfire?
  2. "On" a bonfire?
  3. Bonfires aren't hot enough to repair metal armour, especially e.g. Darksteel, Mithril, and Orichalcum.

2. Hard to imagine, but there are indeed people whose native language is
    not
    English. How dare I come to your forums :p
  3. Since we are smart-assing already: Nobody would repair their metal armour using fire. Hammer and anvil are the more appropriate tools.
  4. See point above. The repairing abilities of fire seem to be over-rated.
  1. Fair enough. I've never played Dark Souls, but I have experimented with BnS, and the repair stations there are bonfires, and they feel like they are very sparsely placed.
  2. Oops. Sorry. (In general, for a bonfire, I'd say "at" (or maybe "in", depending on where I'm standing) rather than "on".)
  3. and 4. Well, no, in general I, too, wouldn't recommend using fire to repair stuff.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Plautze.6290 said:Why can't we repair our stuff on any bonfire?
  2. "On" a bonfire?

2. Hard to imagine, but there are indeed people whose native language is
    not
    English. How dare I come to your forums :p
  3. Since we are smart-assing already: Nobody would repair their metal armour using fire. Hammer and anvil are the more appropriate tools.
  4. See point above. The repairing abilities of fire seem to be over-rated.
  1. Fair enough. I've never played Dark Souls, but I have experimented with BnS, and the repair stations there are bonfires, and they feel like they are very sparsely placed.
  2. Oops. Sorry. (In general, for a bonfire, I'd say "at" (or maybe "in", depending on where I'm standing) rather than "on".)
  3. and 4. Well, no, in general I, too, wouldn't recommend using fire to repair stuff.
  1. Ah, I see. Wanted to try BnS, but never found the time.
  2. Thanks for clarifying, you never stop learning ;) on a more thorough re-read, my "on" strikes me as odd.
  3. and 4. but it's great for grilling stuff!

@"kurfu.5623" said:That would trivialize all of the more challenging story bosses - you could just endlessly bum-rush without taking any consequence for dying.

If you do that now, you will eventually have to leave the instance, repair, and start over until you figure out what you are doing wrong.

I would like more skippable dialog, however.

Can you explain me how exactly having one armor stack repared every hour would allow you to "bum-rush without taking any consequence for dying"? I really don't see how that would be possible

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@"joneirikb.7506" said:This would only really be useful in instanced content ? Everywhere else you should have access to repair stations, or just the ability to drop by GH, WvW, PvP or any other map where you can teleport to and back, just to repair.

I do agree that the broken armor system doesn't serve
much
of a purpose, but it does serve a very minor purpose, and it is probably more work to remove it than just leaving it in place. Especially considering how easy it is to repair.

No, it wouldn't be useful in instanced content. That is kinda the point, offer a long-term armor repair without changing the instanced content (in order to keep instant repair canisters useful).

My apologies, was responding solely about armor repair, not specifically about your mastery idea, since I considered that the root issue.

Regarding your idea for a mastery for long term "armor regeneration", some thoughts:

• Repairing armor in general is a minor inconvenience, and not something I think really deserves developer time at all.
  • If they do, they should just do the same they did in WvW, the game auto repairs your armor every time you return to "spawn" area on each map, no need to click the anvil, they could do the same for cities in PVE.
  • I can just imagine players standing in story instances for hours waiting for armor to regen before trying against the boss again, some people are going to do just that, and they're going to complain about it.
  • If this is rolled into the existing Pact Mastery line no biggie, but if this was to be rolled into a new mastery (just for this) then I suspect quite a few people would be annoyed they had to max out another mastery to get their precious spirit shards back :p
  • I personally actually enjoy playing new character in higher level areas and play until all my armor breaks, and wouldn't like to see that option go away, and I can't imagine this would be something with an on/off button (and I already have pact mastery maxed out, thus the above point).

Remember that you can always go to wvw maps for services (bank, tp, vendor, portal to LA, etc) and it should auto repair your broken armor the moment you step in there, and you can be dumped right back where you where afterwards. So I honestly haven't had to repair armor in years (unless I specifically try for it with leveling characters, which can be fun!).

edit link: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World#Spawn_points

Archived