Why are 24-28 slot bags soul-bound?

Wuffy.9732

So I have a 24-slot bag, and now I want to upgrade it to a 28-slot. But it's now come to my attention that I can't, because it's soul-bounded to my main toon. I have a alt-toon already maxed at 500 tailor, so I'm not doing that nonsense again.

After checking the wiki, I notice 24slots and 28slots listed as rare/exotic and everything else is Ascended afterwards. All the ascended ones are obviously account bounded, so why can't the 24slot and 28slots be? Come now Anet, this really makes no sense! If anyone knows a workaround this it's be highly appreciated :)~

• Like 2

See also:

Short story: it's apparently intended that the bags become soulbound, in much the same way that using an exotic precursor makes it soulbound until you forge it into its corresponding legendary. Thus, apparently ANet thinks of 32-slot bags as "legendary" and 24- and 28-slotters as mere stepping stones on the way to the pricier luxury item.

I thought I remembered that being unable to see the soulbound in the crafting interface was a bug, but I can't find a quote for that right now, so treat that as "speculative hope" (or "hopeful speculation").

Personally, I think it's a mistake to soulbind bags, regardless of the reason. At best, it's an inconvenience that doesn't encourage anyone to change their choices. At worst, it's a distracting blocking issue (albeit a minor one) that creates needless work for player and support alike (whether or not the crafting disruption is a bug).

• Like 1

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:See also:

Short story: it's apparently intended that the bags become soulbound, in much the same way that using an exotic precursor makes it soulbound until you forge it into its corresponding legendary. Thus, apparently ANet thinks of 32-slot bags as "legendary" and 24- and 28-slotters as mere stepping stones on the way to the pricier luxury item.

I thought I remembered that being unable to see the soulbound in the crafting interface was a bug, but I can't find a quote for that right now, so treat that as "speculative hope" (or "hopeful speculation").

Personally, I think it's a mistake to soulbind bags, regardless of the reason. At best, it's an inconvenience that doesn't encourage anyone to change their choices. At worst, it's a distracting blocking issue (albeit a minor one) that creates needless work for player and support alike (whether or not the crafting disruption is a bug).

Well since my earlier comment was removed; this is it. It's one of those discussions that will nip at the heels of Anet every time it comes up. Like Guild Weapons being Soulbound on Acquire.

How many support tickets have/will be needlessly created to resolve these when a small (not neccesarily easy) change could be made that could encourage more players to work on these bags long-term for ALL characters and not just their crafters?

• Like 1

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@VanWilder.6923 said:So I craft my 28 slots bag and never use it, it still cant be stored in bank and 1st used in another alt? If so, well, thats suck!

It can be stored in bank just fine.If you equip it on someone who can't craft the 32 slot version you won't be able to upgrade it.

OMG, thanks for the heads up. You have saved me a lot of golds from my ingame wallet.This soulbound is Ridiculous, lets imagine I did not know and equipped myself a 28 slots, I would got so pissed when I found out that I could not upgrade to 32. >.<

• Like 1

@VanWilder.6923 said:

@VanWilder.6923 said:So I craft my 28 slots bag and never use it, it still cant be stored in bank and 1st used in another alt? If so, well, thats suck!

It can be stored in bank just fine.If you equip it on someone who can't craft the 32 slot version you won't be able to upgrade it.

OMG, thanks for the heads up. You have saved me a lot of golds from my ingame wallet.This soulbound is Ridiculous, lets imagine I did not know and equipped myself a 28 slots, I would got so pissed when I found out that I could not upgrade to 32. >.<

Yeah, being annoyed at the entire system is the main thing stopping me from getting bigger bags.

Well Anet was quick to resolve the issue with a support ticket. I'm grateful for the fast response from The Lizard King (If he ever reads this topic, thanks again!). I got a new bag in the mail and immediately crafted a 32slot bag.

Still think this shouldn't require a support ticket in the first place, but It's out of my control. Live and learn I guess...

• Like 2

@"Wuffy.9732" said:Well Anet was quick to resolve the issue with a support ticket. I'm grateful for the fast response from The Lizard King (If he ever reads this topic, thanks again!). I got a new bag in the mail and immediately crafted a 32slot bag.

Still think this shouldn't require a support ticket in the first place, but It's out of my control. Live and learn I guess...

Maybe this can be the next 'Linsey'-type side project; changing some soulbound items to accountbound.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...