Why the gemstore is still missing an "once per account" class change?

Arheundel.6451

If after 6 years I want to change class..why should it not be allowed? All the achievements- crafting- living story has been done on one character but now the class used by this character doesn't inspire you anymore and would like to change . You can change name-body type and all ..but not the class even if it would be once per account; any idea why this feature is still missing from the game?

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Or, more likely, because you can create additional characters to use for a new profession(aka class).

And start everything from scratch again?....all story line, all living stories....urgh

That's usually a thing, yes. Also, if you play other areas of the game and/or have some mats and LvLup books lying around, getting the essentials done doesn't take long. I'm not sure if my situation compares to yours, but I recently made a second warrior and had the toon 1)Lvl80, 2)geared in ascendeds, 3)unlock both elites in less than 10 hrs. I used tomes, a spare set of gear, some HPs I did on the map, some HPs I bought with WvW currency. The char is now rdy for world bosses or dungeons, story would be easy due to overpoweredness, open world just as much. Raids might be feasable but for WvW I would need to adjust my gear, for fractals I'd still need the infusions but otherwise the toon is ready for the type of gameplay I want. No one forces me to do map completion on that char or to play every story. I did that on the first warrior and all my other chars so I might skip this one.

@Arheundel.6451 said:If after 6 years I want to change class..why should it not be allowed?Because the game's code assumes that your profession (and race) would never change. Should they have done it that way? We don't know what sort of time that saved them, so it's hard to say.

All the achievements- crafting- living story has been done on one character but now the class used by this character doesn't inspire you anymoreThen I create a new character because, then I can start completely from scratch. Otherwise (for me), it's an uninspirational change.

You can change name-body type and all ..but not the class even if it would be once per account; any idea why this feature is still missing from the game?Those are cosmetic changes don't affect the story in any way. They are simple to adjust because it doesn't affect anything else.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:If after 6 years I want to change class..why should it not be allowed?Because the game's code assumes that your profession (and race) would never change. Should they have done it that way? We don't know what sort of time that saved them, so it's hard to say.

All the achievements- crafting- living story has been done on one character but now the class used by this character doesn't inspire you anymoreThen I create a new character because, then I can start completely from scratch. Otherwise (for me), it's an uninspirational change.

You can change name-body type and all ..but not the class even if it would be once per account; any idea why this feature is still missing from the game?Those are cosmetic changes don't affect the story in any way. They are simple to adjust because it doesn't affect anything else.

How does your class relate to the story anyhow?

@lokh.2695 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Or, more likely, because you can create additional characters to use for a new profession(aka class).

And start everything from scratch again?....all story line, all living stories....urgh

That's usually a thing, yes. Also, if you play other areas of the game and/or have some mats and LvLup books lying around, getting the essentials done doesn't take long. I'm not sure if my situation compares to yours, but I recently made a second warrior and had the toon 1)Lvl80, 2)geared in ascendeds, 3)unlock both elites in less than 10 hrs. I used tomes, a spare set of gear, some HPs I did on the map, some HPs I bought with WvW currency. The char is now rdy for world bosses or dungeons, story would be easy due to overpoweredness, open world just as much. Raids might be feasable but for WvW I would need to adjust my gear, for fractals I'd still need the infusions but otherwise the toon is ready for the type of gameplay I want. No one forces me to do map completion on that char or to play every story. I did that on the first warrior and all my other chars so I might skip this one.

I would like to know how me changing class on the same character would affect you or others in any way

@Arheundel.6451 said:

I would like to know how me changing class on the same character would affect you or others in any way

It wouldn't. Did I say so? I just wanted to offer an alternative or give the advice that you don't need to do every story and every map on every character you have if you don't want to. You still get to play the new class in the content you want to play.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

There's a small number of times when the dialogue is affected by your choice of profession. Previous attempts by ANet to ignore or workaround story coding assumptions have led to massive difficulties, often bugged stories for the character in question for months or years.

Surely you can see that ANet would be happy to sell a profession change token (and a separate race change ticket) if that were possible. At 800 gems (or 8000, as you seem willing to pay), it would be a better deal than selling people a new character slot: same (or greater) costs, without adding to the account's inventory, database management, or adding to potential farming loot.

They have every reason to want to be able to do this for us, except for the most important: to divert resources to making it happen instead of all the other interesting stuff they can do for the game.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

I don't do that on my alts either. You can get to HoT maps without doing the story. You can get to all the new LS zones with a pass you can buy there on your main that you can share with your alts and PoF I haven't gotten to yet but I assume that just starting PoF will get me there and I can go to all the maps as well, though I'm not sure why I would want that since, beautiful as the Elonian maps are, I don't have much reason to go there after completing the maps and the story on my main. So it's really just a matter of exploring the maps. Not to say that there's no work in that but you don't have to do the stories on any alt.

Still, I don't have a problem with the option to change class but it's something that I would never use and I really don't know how many strings are attached to doing so in the technical background. For one, there could be issues with your gear since if you went from guardian to thief for example you can no longer use the armor and any class specific items anymore.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

There's a small number of times when the dialogue is affected by your choice of profession. Previous attempts by ANet to ignore or workaround story coding assumptions have led to massive difficulties, often bugged stories for the character in question for months or years.

Surely you can see that ANet would be happy to sell a profession change token (and a separate race change ticket) if that were possible. At 800 gems (or 8000, as you seem willing to pay), it would be a better deal than selling people a new character slot: same (or greater) costs, without adding to the account's inventory, database management, or adding to potential farming loot.

They have every reason to want to be able to do this for us, except for the most important: to divert resources to making it happen instead of all the other interesting stuff they can do for the game.

Makes sense

Class change is much more difficult because the character UI and gameplay is different based on the class. Going from ranger to elementalist for example would mean getting rid of all the pets the ranger accumulated, removing the weapon swap, adding the attunements, utility skills, and weapons of an elementalist. Too much effort and clean up involved to ensure anomalies don't occur in the process vs changing character models and some text. New character slots and a generous amount of tomes is their easy way out of providing class change.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

No one forces you to do the storyline... you can just ignore it if you dont want to do it again.

And if you switch profession into another weightclass alot of gear would be useless.

Archived