Main tool used for balance in GW2

Arheundel.6451

When it comes to Elementalist balance yes, that's all they've done lately, trying to balance the dps based on Raid benchmarks, with absolutely zero thought about the rest of the game. That said, this is rather new, and I hope the trend will stop soon, meanwhile other professions, like Necromancer for example, are certainly in no way balanced based on raid benchmarks.

So yeah, I think you are mistaken that they use the raid benchmarks for balance "across the board", you are probably an Elementalist player and it does feel like it as an Elementalist, with all recent changes being aimed at reducing Elementalist dps in Raid benchmarks, while in other parts of the game (with more "intelligent" targets, or when you don't have your babysitter with you) Elementalists need all the damage buffs they can get.

I think it is naive to believe benchmarks of the top guilds are not considered.

That said, it is also naive to believe that the developers have tons of data on skills, builds, gear, classes, elite specializations used etc. and not make use of this.

One might disagree with every balance change made and certainly some game modes have been affected differently and pve raid balance seems to be of prime importance but that said: classes are more balanced than ever. The downside or unbalance people complain about in spvp and wvw is mostly the ttk which is affected by power creep more than class balance imo.

Archived