ROM's 2v2 tourney was pretty good

Liza.2758

@Nebilim.5127 said:I always thought this game had kitten poor balance 1v1, is 2v2 better in that regard? I try to imagine what could possibly be undefeating cancer, like scourge+firebrand or 2 mirages/thieves being able to disengage/stealth

2v2 is much more fun than 1v1. You can create synergies between the 2 classes in your team. In 1v1 many matchups are impossible but in 2v2 they are actually winnable. Besides, mender firebrand, class stacking and amulet stacking were forbidden in this tournament.

@Nebilim.5127 said:I always thought this game had kitten poor balance 1v1, is 2v2 better in that regard? I try to imagine what could possibly be undefeating cancer, like scourge+firebrand or 2 mirages/thieves being able to disengage/stealth

I watched a few rounds and that pretty much sums it up, in every round I watched, the team with the guardian won (other then when of course both teams had guards), once a team got on top then basically that was it, there was no comeback, which was very dull, overall it highlighted why 2v2 (and deathmatch) is pretty crappy in games like this.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

2v2 is much more fun than 1v1. You can create synergies between the 2 classes in your team. In 1v1 many matchups are impossible but in 2v2 they are actually winnable. Besides, mender firebrand, class stacking and amulet stacking were forbidden in this tournament.

Did anet said they were going to support the upcoming 2v2 with tourneys and so on, or if it were going to turn out abandoned like our deathmatch in custom arena?

I'm wondering about this now, other games deal with healing classes by stacking a debuff that reduces healing as the matches takes too long to finish. Or taking other considerations like most damage dealt in a time frame. What else could be done short of completely banning classes? Probably a killzone circle that gets shorter the longer the match takes too, to avoid kiting/stealth classes doing it forever.

Edit: i just realized there is a custom arena with these rules but it isn't supported by anet with any rewards...what the in world. Are we stuck with conquest for the rest of this game life?

@"Sylosi.6503"I disagree with you here, there was even a DH with longbow (which is considered garbage tier) in a tourney who made it to the 3rd place and all those guardians were playing different builds such as DH, Core, Marshal FB, Harrier FB except those 2 people who played same core guardian so that means there is no specific "overpowered" guardian build, besides, mender is banned on firebrand so they have to choose squishy amulets which can be easily bursted down. Ofcourse there are flaws in balance, in my opinion sage mirage should be banned but anyways build diversity increases A LOT in 2v2 format and a big factor in this is synergy with your duo partner so you can make anything work if you have synergy and play smart.

@Shuriken.6738 said:

@"Nebilim.5127" said:I try to imagine what could possibly be undefeating cancer, like scourge+firebrand or 2 mirages/thieves being able to disengage/stealth

This
kappa

I'm surprised not every team isn't running a mirage with moa. Remove necros, remove bunkers and transformations.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Nebilim.5127 said:

Did anet said they were going to support the upcoming 2v2 with tourneys and so on, or if it were going to turn out abandoned like our deathmatch in custom arena?

I'm wondering about this now, other games deal with healing classes by stacking a debuff that reduces healing as the matches takes too long to finish. Or taking other considerations like most damage dealt in a time frame. What else could be done short of completely banning classes? Probably a killzone circle that gets shorter the longer the match takes too, to avoid kiting/stealth classes doing it forever.

Edit: i just realized there is a custom arena with these rules but it isn't supported by anet with any rewards...what the in world. Are we stuck with conquest for the rest of this game life?

We plan on supporting other game-modes with special event tournaments in the future. We're working on enhancements to the Automated Tournament system before we can do this though. Unfortunately, it's taken far longer than we hoped, but we're making progress.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

We plan on supporting other game-modes with special event tournaments in the future. We're working on enhancements to the Automated Tournament system before we can do this though. Unfortunately, it's taken far longer than we hoped, but we're making progress.

what about new game modes such as Teamdeatch match, king of the hill, etc... ?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Zawn.9647 said:

Once we have the tech in place to do so, I'd like to run a special tournament at least once per quarter. We could certainly do a 5-person team deathmatch special tournament on Courtyard.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

Once we have the tech in place to do so, I'd like to run a special tournament at least once per quarter. We could certainly do a 5-person team deathmatch special tournament on Courtyard.

Glad to hear Anet has not given up on pvp completely, because somehow that is how it feels most of the time. Also hopefully changes do not come too late and not too rare before the last player interested in pvp and improving their skill and take it serious left the game. Basics like balance patches more often (in particular when clearly broken stuff is ruining the pvp experience) should also get implemented... maybe hire 1-2 devs more for pvp could help to bring up more content and balance patches for PvP and WvW...

Archived