How much sense does a charr elementalist make?

Kovac.4372

Keeping in mind there are 4 attunements ... and Flame legion charr are exclusively into fire ... and that I like to keep my characters lore friendly ... is there a way to play a charr elementalist with only fire? Or at least with the very minimal use of other elements?

If I don't figure this out I just might delete my 6 year old charr ele and replace it with a new charr warrior ....

Well considering fire and water are both essential to smithing, and remember the entire dialog between Taimi and the one Charr smith during Living World Season 2, those 2 elements are a given.

Now air might seem like a stretch but then consider all the airships in this world and turbines and such. It makes sense that research would go into that too.

Finally earth would probably be the most difficult but consider this: Charr are a very militaristic culture. Military conquest has often to do with both supply of troops with food (grown in soil) and actual territorial gain (aka acquisition of land or earth). That could be used as incentive as to why Charr might conduct research in this field.

If you focus on only religion, then you might be quite limited to only a fire attunement based Charr caster but remember, Charr culture and every day life is a lot more diverse and varied than their 3 orders or their religions heritage.

The problem with the Flame Legion is making themselves a servant to another being for the sake of power. Borrowed power is not reliable because whoever you borrowed it from can take it back. It is not because they use fire.

On the other hand from a gameplay perspective sticking to only one element can be a problem.

@Cyninja.2954 said:but consider this: Charr are a very militaristic culture.

That's what I was thinking, and from a military perspective, whatever makes your enemies dead and keeps your forces alive is something you use. So I'd see nothing wrong with an Ele melting down their foes with meteor storm, then switch to water attunement to heal up members of their warband.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:but consider this: Charr are a very militaristic culture.

That's what I was thinking, and from a military perspective, whatever makes your enemies dead and keeps your forces alive is something you use. So I'd see nothing wrong with an Ele melting down their foes with meteor storm, then switch to water attunement to heal up members of their warband.

There is logic to consider but also theme. See, each of the species has their own unique themes (with the possible exception of humans who are rather bland). looking at things with logic alone, the charr would have conquered Kryta long before any of the events of GW2. But they haven't. Because the game design made them not to. And that same game design made them flame oriented in magic and mechanical and engines-of-war-y in every other way.

As long as your Charr isn't associated with the Flame Legion I don't see why you couldn't use any element you wanted. Modern Charr (most) are no longer bound by those false gods.

Also, I don't think it should be a given that the Charr should have conquered Kryta. The Mursaat pushed back their initial invasion and after the events of GW1 there was a lot of internal conflicts within the Charr that would have curtailed any organized effort to take Kryta. Not to mention the rise of other intelligent races in the world like the Asura popping up all over the place. Charr technology is pretty good now but that wasn't always the case.

Charr don't avoid magic completely and there are charr elementalists in the story who aren't part of the flame legion and who will use all the elements. Euryale for example whose description on the biography page makes it sound like elementalists in warbands are fairly standard: "Euryale, our elementalist, is the most loyal soldier in the warband. She's also stubborn, bad-tempered and protective — but at least she's honest. She stands by me, and I trust her with my life."

I think the charr attitude towards magic is similar to (most of) the Chantry in the Dragon Age games - they don't ban magic completely, and couldn't really because they live in a world that runs on magic (even more so for the charr - everything in Tyria is magical to some extent) but they don't want to rely on magic or be controlled by mages because that's gone badly for them in the past.

I don't have a charr elementalist but one of my charr is a revenant and part of her backstory is that she discovered at an early age she had magical abilities and learned in the fahrar that they're going to come out whether she wants them or not, so she decided she may as well learn to use them, but she does always feel like she has to hold herself to a higher standard to prove that her magic doesn't make her like the flame legion.

While the Charr as a whole have a flame-y theme, I'd approach a Charm elementalist with this mindset:"The flame legion is the enemy that led our race to the brink of ruin The flame legion relied almost exclusively on fire magic. I am not one of those traitorous failures! I will use ALL the power magic grants me in the service of the legions!"A Charr ele would not limit himself to fire, nor focus heavily on fire. Doing so would be emulating the hated flame legion.He would make it a point to use all the elements in order to set himself apart from the flame legion's shamans.

Archived