MAKE ASURA SMALL AGAIN (legendary visual arm effect)

Magnito.6187

Cheerio,

Are asura arms supposed to be covered entirely by the legendary's effect?I'm kind off a walking block of ice with frostfang and a fireball with incinerator.Bottom line: it looks horrendous, can't it be a little more subtle?WHO WANTS TO MAKE ASURA SMALL AGAIN? (By means: making the so called 'wristband' (lol it's like a sleeve) a little more subtle)

@Kako.1930 said:

@Kako.1930 said:I voted no because I got the binding of ipos BECAUSE of the huge claw. It reminds me of Allen Walker. Do not touch!!!

But that's a claw though.

I don't want it to be a tiny claw though. :C

I don't want it to be a claw at all. Why couldn't it just be a book? That's all I wanted, a book. Instead I'm stuck with that....claw. :angry:

@Endless Soul.5178 said:

@Kako.1930 said:I voted no because I got the binding of ipos BECAUSE of the huge claw. It reminds me of Allen Walker. Do not touch!!!

I don't want it to be a claw at all. Why couldn't it just be a book? That's all I wanted, a book. Instead I'm stuck with that....claw. :angry:

But the claw is AMAZING!<#lovetheclaw>

@Ardid.7203 said:

Lol the claw is the reason I got it. I couldn't care less about the book. There are already a ton of book items lol. ?

Here's a mostly-related reply from the legendary's designer. The (ahem) focus of the conversation was on comparing firebrand tome animations to the legendary's animations, so it offers insight into the thinking behind the size of the hand (spoiler: it's supposed to be HUGE).

So that's why firebrand didn't get real tomes.

It was not. I came up with the idea for and made the focus, and I work independently from the skills and balance team. The focus was not designed with tomes in mind, and guardian tomes were not unused because of the legendary. The weapon went through several iterations and eventually landed on a book, and when it came time to figure out how the character would hold it I didn't want to have to resort to having the character just holding a strap on the binding like other book focuses. I wanted something unique and awesome, remembered guardian tomes, and continued from there. It took a lot of problem solving to get it to work at all (weapons work differently from spells like the guardian tomes, not to mention all the other animation and art work that had to be done for it) but eventually /u/anet_mattp and I figured it out! It has a lot of crazy stuff going on behind the scenes that we hadn't ever done for weapons before.

That said, it was a nice bonus for me to get my tome back in a roundabout way and I hoped you guys would be happy with it too! :)

was how to give you a different hand. Spoilers: I didn't. I covered yours up, hence the large size of the claw - it has to fully encompass your hand. It's not your hand anyway, it's a magic demon hand. Also, don't let the preview window fool you, it's not actually accurate size in there (though it sounds like you crafted it).

Believe me, it bothers me too; even more so since it's my creation and I want it to be perfect! This was yet another problem I had to deal with and it ended up being something I could not solve. Since I can't move the arm I'm limited to moving the book around and messing with the size.

The book actually does scale down and it squishes flatter while on your hip to help a little, but no amount of scaling or squishing would remove the clipping on some races unless you want a book for ants. Scaling it down also presents its own set of issues so the final result you see was the best solution.

I tried everything.

These are problems I deal with every time I make hip stowed weapons and there are quite a few others that share this issue. Making weapons is a game of compromises and it's an art to even get things to look as good as you end up seeing them in game. Game development in a nutshell.

Frostfang's effect gets watered down or completely cancelled on other races so, big NO because my asuras are the only proper wielders diplaying all of its effects to their fullest. Wouldn't know about other legendaries but I could agree to a middle of the way if it meant having a quality pass on the items.

@Kako.1930 said:

Lol the claw is the reason I got it. I couldn't care less about the book. There are already a ton of book items lol. ?

none of them actually open or are used as a book ;)

@sorudo.9054 said:

none of them actually open or are used as a book ;)

True, but if it was just a slightly fancier open book without the claw or with a tiny, barely noticeable claw, then I wouldn't have gotten mine.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:People actually use legendaries?Sometimes it's not about the skin but about the effect. Take ranged weapons for example, projectile animations can have a bigger impact on the visuals then the weapon skins but only legendary weapons (with the sole exaption of the Pop Gun) have matching projectile animations even though I'm pretty sure there actually already are matching projectile animations for some of these weapons like Lyssa's Gaze which is based on a phantasm weapon as it essentially just uses the mesmer standard projectile animation for pistols. IMO at least every class themed weapon should use their respective class specific animations, it's not like as if they have to reinvent the wheel for that one.

Archived