Upcoming Marked / Stealth Trap Changes

anonymous.7812

They should remove the supply requirement on the trap. There is already a one-trap rule in place and it has a huge delay in setting. Better yet, fix stealth. Hitting someone like a truck from stealth then poping back in 1s later is absurd... and I abuse that mechanic so I know whereof I speak.

@Justine.6351 said:Precursor to nerfing deadeye elite? Not sure why else they would nerf stealth trap reveal duration.

they added an additional function to it, pretty usefull one at that too. with that we can expect more of those traps placed for auto scouting. so i guess its an overall buff.

the reveal duration however was allways way too long for anything except deadeye and for deadeye it didnt matter anyway. now one can finally play daredevil with more focus on stealth again, their weakness was the trap and their ability to quickstomp or use an unblockable backstab from 1200 range is what makes them often better. deadeye will still be better for hiding in keeps but with that change daredevil will probably be better in fighting outnumbered 1 vs X again.

@Justine.6351 said:

@HazyDaisy.4107 said:I hope they also re-rigged it so it's insta throwable instead of the 4-5 sec plantable delay it has now.

Nah. Thats the risk of the trap. Shouldn't be made into a marked/reveal grenade.

And some professions shouldn't have counter reveal and personal stealth while also having range to avoid traps, but they do :).

I don't really see this helping. Traps are a terrible way to counter stealth and have always been the most useless traps since you never had time to set them up for a small scale battle without it being painfully obvious, and there is no reason to drop one and wait for someone to pop it unless you are being harassed defending a camp. The only instances where stealth traps are fairly useful are stopping Mesmers from stealthing by and dropping portals past a choke but even then...

Arena-Net, please, just introduce useful reveal skills for each profession to ensure that all classes have at least some counter play for stealth. Is that really so unbalanced considering Deadeyes can just remove reveal now anyway? I hate to whine about this but I'm incredibly frustrated as an ele main I am both unable to access any form of stealth (outside of that underwater. Eles shouldn't really have stealth anyway though) or reveal anyone in stealth to help counter play it. It's just not fun.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Can someone clarify for me, as I may be misunderstanding.

"Marked" to me means the effect that sentrys and Watch Tower apply. Does this mean the trap will put the marked effect on you which will make you a visible red dot on the mini map?

I think this may be something similar to an idea I suggested back in April https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38194/suggestion-for-stealth-trapsEssentially you will be a red dot on the mini map but not visually seen as they will still be in stealth, at least that was what my idea was proposing at the time. So if I were to guess, this new updated trap even if a deadeye were to use shadow meld, they will still appear as a red dot on mini map for a certain duration. Or something.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Can someone clarify for me, as I may be misunderstanding.

"Marked" to me means the effect that sentrys and Watch Tower apply. Does this mean the trap will put the marked effect on you which will make you a visible red dot on the mini map?

I think this may be something similar to an idea I suggested back in April
Essentially you will be a red dot on the mini map but not visually seen as they will still be in stealth, at least that was what my idea was proposing at the time. So if I were to guess, this new updated trap even if a deadeye were to use shadow meld, they will still appear as a red dot on mini map for a certain duration. Or something.

except that the dots do not move with a stealthed target.anyway there was never any clear info if those traps were ever designed to hunt single stealthed players , they were just used for that but the way they were designed, they were not really good for that, you still needed to outnumber the stealthed target ontop.there were pages long threads about what anets intent might have been for those traps what they were for, i guess this here is partly an answer. from this change i conclude that those traps were not ment to hunt single player but given how many people use them for that, they didnt want to completly replace the reveal with a mark and just nerft it to a duration that is similar to the ones from profession skills.i think a marking trap is for the mode a much stronger tool and hope people now finally try to gank stealthers at lord and ignore them open field, there is no reason with a much larger group to try forcing a fight on one that is trying to avoid it, neither side will get happy out of it. and when they attack, well then their revealed anyway :)

I think maybe people who dislike playing against thieves or don't know how to play against them need something like the radio from Silent Hill as a handicap - let it play an audio cue once and have like a spidey sense above the player if a thief is within 2500-5000 (it will be a fixed range, but somewhere between this) range of them. The warning only plays once so if they did not pay attention then it will be their fault and no more hand holding. The area of effect only works when the thief enters the radius but not if they exit. There should also be some kind of trade off for using this device. This should work on all classes that have access to stealth. Maybe it won't affect veiled/cloaked Zerg that badly either. Just brainstorming here.

@Turk.5460 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Precursor to nerfing deadeye elite?

Nerfing shadow meld would have been the easiest and most logical thing to do. The fact that it hasn't been nerfed more than a year after PoF release says a lot about why WvW has the problems it does.

When was it even complained about before May of 2018?

Yep, it really wasn't a big deal until recently.

Besides, the skill can't be nerfed. It would have to be completely changed into something else, just increasing cooldown won't do and removing the reveal removal would make the skill pointless.

Archived