So You're one POI away from Map Completion .... — Guild Wars 2 Forums

So You're one POI away from Map Completion ....

..... only to discover it's locked behind two events, and meta events at that. Why!?! This is by far my biggest gripe when it comes to newly released maps. I was lucky enough to be on a map that completed both metas without too much trouble, so I was able to access that locked room in question, and even luckier to get all 9 of my alts access thanks to an LFG Mesmer, but that's beside the point. What about a month from now, six months from now, a year from now? Map completion should never be locked behind events in this way, especially on maps where population will naturally diminish over time.

Note: I am of course talking about the new map, Thunderhead Peaks, but I'm being deliberately vague about the exact location to avoid potential (allbeit light) spoilers. Trust me though, you'll know it when you see it ...

<1

Comments

• yoni.7015yoni.7015 Member ✭✭✭

I got it really fast and there are as well often Mesmers standing in front who can port you. It’s really no big deal

• Doing south event... Client crashed... Went back in about 20 seconds later. Finished.

FAIL>

• Ronin.7381Ronin.7381 Member ✭✭

Is that how you acquire the Dwarven Plates, it's a part of a meta?

• Warscythes.9307Warscythes.9307 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019

You can buy the plate items off TP for accessing the POI, pretty sure that's all you need unless I missed something.

• @Ronin.7381 said:
    Is that how you acquire the Dwarven Plates, it's a part of a meta?

It's how you get the two pieces of Light of Deldrimor Plate to trade with the ghost and get in there.

• TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Warscythes.9307 said:
    You can buy the plate items off TP for accessing the POI, pretty sure that's all you need unless I missed something.

Huh. I didn't know this. Guess I'm gonna have to get back in game and check this out.

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

• Warscythes.9307Warscythes.9307 Member ✭✭✭

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:

Huh. I didn't know this. Guess I'm gonna have to get back in game and check this out.

Don't buy it now, the bottom part is like 6-7g on buy. Wait for people to farm this a bit before buying it.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:

Don't buy it now, the bottom part is like 6-7g on buy. Wait for people to farm this a bit before buying it.

Good point. Thanks. :)

Asura fanatic.

• Zephire.8049Zephire.8049 Member ✭✭✭

I agree. I'm fine (though not entirely happy about) a POI being locked behind a twice hourly race or an event that happens a few times per hour. A POI locked behind two meta successes with a two hour rotation, I am not.

Both myself and others on the map I was on crit failed the RNG and despite getting the plates, never got access to the POI room. I ultimately ended up waiting for a mesmer to port because I wasn't about to sink another 2.5+ hours to get the plates myself when there was no guarantee I'd be able to get the POI that time either. I really enjoy the new map but that one POI means I'm way less thrilled or interested in doing map completion on my characters.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:

you can add 10 gold to that.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

While we're talking about POI's locked away behind something, as far as I know The Consul's Tomb POI is only accessible via the story. If you try to take a character that hasn't done the story to that POI, you can't reach it.

Asura fanatic.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

While we're talking about POI's locked away behind something, as far as I know The Consul's Tomb POI is only accessible via the story. If you try to take a character that hasn't done the story to that POI, you can't reach it.

And before that there was a POI that you needed the beetle mount for to get to. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this trend. In fact, I'm sure I'm not. Sure there are workarounds but that's not really the point.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• slpr.2647slpr.2647 Member ✭✭

this. not only being locked behind metas will be a problem later on, but what of those that story doesnt mean hooee, so they dont do story. how to they get poi's locked behind content like that.

• Ok I Did It.2854Ok I Did It.2854 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019

The LoD you get doesnt get access to this room though, after talking to the NPC i got the purple one ( yet again) and there was no other plate in that room i could get, and as you can only get that LoD plate once per day, unless you buy it from the TP you are out of luck, as its another RNG gamble as to whether you get the correct plate or not.

EDIT: so in the purple room i had to kill that vet mob 11 times before it dropped the next plate, that is beyond stupid.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:
    The LoD you get doesnt get access to this room though, after talking to the NPC i got the purple one ( yet again) and there was no other plate in that room i could get, and as you can only get that LoD plate once per day, unless you buy it from the TP you are out of luck, as its another RNG gamble as to whether you get the correct plate or not.

AFAIK there are two metas, One meta gives you the top half, the other meta gives you the bottom half. You'll always get the same plate from a meta if you do it twice. So it's not RNG.

• Lyre.8079Lyre.8079 Member ✭✭

I have never seen the meta for the bottom half successfully completed...

So locking one point behind 2 successful metas or gold and rng is not something i like. (I also don't like the first ring of fire map for the poi locked in the jumping puzzle)

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

Partook in a successful lower meta last night. Seriously nasty to require 3 coordinated groups.

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:

Good point. Thanks. :)

I've seen the completed ones going for 18g last night. I almost sold mine because I don't have OCD for map completion, lol.

Currently playing my Asura because my Norn on the Warclaw looks like it's sitting on a Chihauhau!!!
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

It wasn't that hard to get map comp done tbh.. took me less than a full day.

prices for these keys are a little kitten right now but they are droping rapidly lower half key was 50g last night and is less than 8g now.
    It may be an inconvinience but it's a mild one.

• Gambino.2109Gambino.2109 Member ✭✭✭

and you know what's really really worst? First meta for top half is what ever..

Second meta.. has a decent chance to fail with all the cluster of events barring what is essentially the one you must do on all three sides.

• @Ash.5274 said:
    ..... only to discover it's locked behind two events, and meta events at that. Why!?! This is by far my biggest gripe when it comes to newly released maps. I was lucky enough to be on a map that completed both metas without too much trouble, so I was able to access that locked room in question, and even luckier to get all 9 of my alts access thanks to an LFG Mesmer, but that's beside the point. What about a month from now, six months from now, a year from now? Map completion should never be locked behind events in this way, especially on maps where population will naturally diminish over time.

Note: I am of course talking about the new map, Thunderhead Peaks, but I'm being deliberately vague about the exact location to avoid potential (allbeit light) spoilers. Trust me though, you'll know it when you see it ...

Once you get your hands on both pieces, having them locked behind 2 meta events will be the least of your problem.

dont forget to sit in the chair!!! B) >!

• DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭

Expansion-like content huhuhu. So they make a map that requires meta events completed for full map completion just like Dragon's Stand huhuhu.

This is not the kind of expansion-like content we were looking forward to I wager.

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭

I have to agree, this is bad.

I kind of like this map. I was thinking of taking multiple characters through it for map completion just to enjoy it more. But with the two restricted PoIs, that really kills the fun of it all. Now I'll finish with just the one character, and call it done. I might move a second there to do the meta for crafting supplies, but honestly even that's questionable.

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019

Definitely agree that the POI should just be moved to in front of the gate like in other episodes. The requirement of two metas to be completed is not going to be easy to get in the future when the map lowers in population (cannot see myself getting this POI on alts in the future unless it is changed), and is annoying even now since the two metas have such long timers for each of them and lasting for such short times. It took me several hours of logging in just to find I'd missed the meta and logging in again at the exact moment to get each piece. It was very frustrating to have map completion locked behind two very short metas with very long timers.

• Aeon.4583Aeon.4583 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019

Sorry Arena.net but you really pushing us this time. In original open world, there are no POI locked under events. You can complete World Explore in one heartbeat. Jahai POI easy to complete, but this... Doesn't look like people will stay on this new map, therefore many who wasn't there in first hours can't reach it, otherwise will have to pay 20-30 gold for that POI.

Move POI closer to gate, make it reachable from outside.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Razor.9872 said:
    Forgive me for not understanding, but why not just do one event today, then one event tomorrow, or something along those lines? What requires you to get that POI right now?

What if a new player in half a year or a year wants to do it?

The metas will be impossible because the map is dead.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aeon.4583 said:
    Sorry Arena.net but you really pushing us this time. In original open world, there are no POI locked under events. You can complete World Explore in one heartbeat. Jahai POI easy to complete, but this... Doesn't look like people will stay on this new map, therefore many who wasn't there in first hours can't reach it, otherwise will have to pay 20-30 gold for that POI.

Move POI closer to gate, make it reachable from outside.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@Razor.9872 said:
    Forgive me for not understanding, but why not just do one event today, then one event tomorrow, or something along those lines? What requires you to get that POI right now?

What if a new player in half a year or a year wants to do it?

The metas will be impossible because the map is dead.

Are both of you psychic?, because that is what you're implying by already stating the map will be dead within a year and no one will be doing the meta events. The map is not even 2 days old and everyone is predicting doom and gloom already. Does Dragon Stand rings anyone bell?

Personally, I don't mind they've done this, at least they're being consistent.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭

The map may not be dead in a year but there will definitely be much fewer people in the zone.

• Chay.7852Chay.7852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019

This is the worst POI to get so far due to the 2 (not 1 but 2!!) meta events that have to succed in order to get the plates. Events which are soloable okay, but meta events? Thats a bit too much imho. And the fact that you cant park a mesmer there to help others (friends, guildies etc.) makes it even worse. I get it that you shouldn't be able to open the chests whithout the plate - and thats fine, but just to be there and port ppl inside to get the POI or the achievement..

Didin't like that you needed the elixire which you couldn't mix unless you were doing or did the story on that character in order to get "that last POI" in Bitterfrost but now this is worse. It's even worse than Lake Doric, leather farm POI - since you still have sometimes groups that farm leather.

Unless something really cool (Infusion, skin what-ever) has a chance to drop from those metas or from the chests inside that room i highly doubt ppl will do the meta events for long time (now its new, everyone is doing achievements and stuff). The map is very nice, but ppl won't do metas with a quite high chance to fail, which only give you random loot that you can get from doing some solo events in PoF or the other LS4 maps.

Just why Anet....? :/

• sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ash.5274 said:

I don't have too much of a problem with this personally, the first few story steps are comfortably soloable, which is fine. The issue is locking map completion behind large-scale group content, in this case not one but two meta events. Same with the poi behind an event-opened wall in Kourna, it's an easily soloable event, so the only real hurdle is potentially having to wait around a bit for the event to start.

As others have pointed out above, Anet really should have learnt from the complaints about that one poi in Jahai, but here we are again, same issue, same solution - make the poi proc at the gate (and pretty please, don't make the same mistake again on the next map!)

Its a proplem when you have +30 characters

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• yann.1946yann.1946 Member ✭✭✭

It's interesting that both component can be sold. If the maps population dies we will get that prices will spike so the map will get people again

• I ran into a mesmer that was porting to that poi behind the grate, and yes, I tipped lol. My question is: why did I not get a map completion reward? I don't recall getting a chest with anything. Did I just miss it by mistake or is it not working - the map completion rewards that is? I went back tonight after reset to redo the 4 hearts but nothing happened...

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't really see how this is an issue. Map completion is being tied to events in the map. If you don't want to do the events, the items that give you map completion are tradeable on the tp. So players have multiple paths to achieve the goal of map completion and one of those paths is actually, y'know, playing the map. So where's the issue? It's not like some nefarious players swooped in and scooped up all the available items leaving the rest of us with no ready means for acquiring more. I'd say this choice represents a lesson well learned, so kudos to anet :)

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gop.8713 said:
    I don't really see how this is an issue. Map completion is being tied to events in the map. If you don't want to do the events, the items that give you map completion are tradeable on the tp. So players have multiple paths to achieve the goal of map completion and one of those paths is actually, y'know, playing the map. So where's the issue? It's not like some nefarious players swooped in and scooped up all the available items leaving the rest of us with no ready means for acquiring more. I'd say this choice represents a lesson well learned, so kudos to anet :)

If you actually read the thread you'd see that many people have brought up why this is an issue.

If you did read the thread then let me say the following: just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean there's no issue.

Yeah that is really frustrating when ppl post in a thread without reading it and it happens a lot on this forum so I can forgive you for thinking I might have done so, but I did not . . .

Supposing you have also read the thread you would have seen that the poi in question is available by 1) playing the game, 2) letting someone else play the game for you and buying the map completion item off the tp, 3) using a mesmer port or 4) tp to a friend, so there is no issue. Now if anet wants to move the poi or expand its radius so that it is available to players too cheap, lazy and friendless to get it through one of the existing methods I'd have no problem with it, but that wouldn't change the fact that given the variety of means of access to the poi that currently exist, such a change is unnecessary . . .

• Locce.8405Locce.8405 Member ✭✭✭

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Its a proplem when you have +30 characters

Reading this made me happy that I only have 15 characters so far.

• The Consul's Tomb is particularly egregious. While you can get in without the story, you do so with RNG. this could mean you have to run the same character through the meta multiple times on multiple days trying to roll entrance to the POI. I am not happy about the horde POI, but at least that one is guaranteed if you complete the pair of Meta events.

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.