Eternal Survivor

Ithilwen.1529

Well done!

I decided to do survivor the slow way - by actually completing missions and quests instead of grinding something like the dwarf brawl dungeon - and was surprised to find I really enjoy it, I eventually got all 3 Protector titles on that character, still with no deaths. At times it was pretty scary, and more than once I panicked and closed the game down (I play in window mode so hitting the X in the corner was quick) then barely breathed until I logged in again to check I hadn't died. Probably the most memorable moment was logging in one night, typing in guild chat "I'm drunk and playing my survivor - what could go wrong?" and being told if I didn't switch characters immediately they'd ban me from the guild and report my account as having been hacked. In retrospect they were completely right, that would have gone badly.

It's pretty stressful. Even doing it the quick "safe" way can involve several close calls, and if it goes wrong it's agonising. But like I said I also found it surprisingly fun.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:You can get it while afk though, when you are at work/school or whatever. Or even buy it. Not sure why it took you "months"

Are you thinking of the GW2 survivor title, which is similar but much, much quicker and easier (especially since you can get XP from crafting). I know there are quicker ways to get survivor in GW1 but I don't think any of them can be done while afk.

Legendary survivor was made a lot easier when the requirement was removed to create a new character (originally you would lose the ability to get the title if you died, now the required experience simply resets).

Still congratulations on getting it. It was one of those titles where after hours of play something would always go wrong. So I can imagine how nice it must feel to have this tacked off. :)

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:You can get it while afk though, when you are at work/school or whatever. Or even buy it. Not sure why it took you "months"

Are you thinking of the GW2 survivor title, which is similar but much, much quicker and easier (especially since you can get XP from crafting). I know there are quicker ways to get survivor in GW1 but I don't think any of them can be done while afk.

The mission Gate of Madness has respawning mobs that give experience. With a proper 7-hero setup you can kill them infinite times and get survivor without even actively playing the game. I don't recall what's the afk-kick timer in gw1 and if it has one. To make it take far less time you can use experience scrolls and refresh them.

Well, it can be done that way, yes - but if you're doing it the "legitimate way" (for want of a better term), then yeah, it takes a while.

Congrats Ithilwen :)

I cranked Snow Wurms in Hard Mode outside Boreal Station when I had some time free. That was a "no deaths from level 1" character, although she did have one near-death experience (with her health down around 5 or 6 for a moment at level 8 or 9...).

Nightfallish Monk/Ranger with a pet and a condition-heavy build. It's also known as cheesing the title, much like taking a minion-master necro against the Eater of Souls in PoF.

I still saving up all my story books. I suppose I could buy hammers but idk that seems uninspiring.

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I finally got the Legendary Survivor title after months of effort. This is among the "meanest" grinds in the game. Original Guild Wars is awesome.

did you ever figure out the Elona Cartography you insisted was no longer possible several months back?

I recall being over 90% of the way complete toward the title, and farming the wurms outside of Boreal Station, only to have a most unfortunate encounter with lag and dying. I was so annoyed! Eventually, I did it all over again from the start and finally completed it, but it was almost like having to earn it twice.

@Justine.6351 said:I still saving up all my story books. I suppose I could buy hammers but idk that seems uninspiring.

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I finally got the Legendary Survivor title after months of effort. This is among the "meanest" grinds in the game. Original Guild Wars is awesome.

did you ever figure out the Elona Cartography you insisted was no longer possible several months back?

I did, though it required a weird map jump.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:I recall being over 90% of the way complete toward the title, and farming the wurms outside of Boreal Station, only to have a most unfortunate encounter with lag and dying. I was so annoyed! Eventually, I did it all over again from the start and finally completed it, but it was almost like having to earn it twice.

It's horrible when things like that happen! Especially when you're near the end. More than once when my survivor died I logged out because I couldn't bring myself to keep playing, even on another character. But luckily that only lasted a day or so each time, and I always ended up making another survivor to try again.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:You can get it while afk though, when you are at work/school or whatever. Or even buy it. Not sure why it took you "months"

The mission Gate of Madness has respawning mobs that give experience. With a proper 7-hero setup you can kill them infinite times and get survivor without even actively playing the game. I don't recall what's the afk-kick timer in gw1 and if it has one. To make it take far less time you can use experience scrolls and refresh them.

That's where I got my title. I paid another player to teach me how to do it. Took several tries but eventually with the heroes in just the right spots with the right skills, you could just sit back and watch the experience build up. Yeah, I did think this was kind of a "cheat" but after doing the legendary cartographer title manually without any of the tools that where released later I figured I deserved a break, LOL!

@Cyninja.2954 said:Legendary survivor was made a lot easier when the requirement was removed to create a new character (originally you would lose the ability to get the title if you died, now the required experience simply resets).

Still congratulations on getting it. It was one of those titles where after hours of play something would always go wrong. So I can imagine how nice it must feel to have this tacked off. :)

oh??? when did they change that?

i remember the days of having to constantly recreating toons because of dying from being overly confident or network dropouts, having a finger constantly over the quick logout key when seeing fights to turn unfavourable

once they got to Lutgardis Conservatory, then it was endless hours to repeating the quest Securing Echovald Forest while grinding for kurzick factions

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Legendary survivor was made a lot easier when the requirement was removed to create a new character (originally you would lose the ability to get the title if you died, now the required experience simply resets).

i remember the days of having to constantly recreating toons because of dying from being overly confident or network dropouts, having a finger constantly over the quick logout key when seeing fights to turn unfavourable

once they got to Lutgardis Conservatory, then it was endless hours to repeating the quest Securing Echovald Forest while grinding for kurzick factions

I think it was around the same time they made it possible to get Legendary Defender of Ascalon without death levelling, but I may be remembering that wrong. I know it was relatively late in GW1's life.

It did make it much easier to get because you didn't have to worry about levelling up or getting your new character to an appropriate area to get XP, you could get to level 20 and then start on it.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Legendary survivor was made a lot easier when the requirement was removed to create a new character (originally you would lose the ability to get the title if you died, now the required experience simply resets).

once they got to Lutgardis Conservatory, then it was endless hours to repeating the quest Securing Echovald Forest while grinding for kurzick factionsFrom the GW1 wiki, the change came in March 2011 (see 3rd bullet under Trivia):

@Kalendraf.9521 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Legendary survivor was made a lot easier when the requirement was removed to create a new character (originally you would lose the ability to get the title if you died, now the required experience simply resets).

once they got to Lutgardis Conservatory, then it was endless hours to repeating the quest Securing Echovald Forest while grinding for kurzick factionsFrom the GW1 wiki, the change came in March 2011 (see 3rd bullet under Trivia):

ah... that was after GW2 came out... i stopped playing a month after EoTN

the painful choice of choosing getting the pre-searing L20 achieve through death leveling or survivor title back in the older days :lol:

@crepuscular.9047 said:

ah... that was after GW2 came out... i stopped playing a month after EoTN

the painful choice of choosing getting the pre-searing L20 achieve through death leveling or survivor title back in the older days :lol:GW2 came out in August 2012. So there were about18 months between when they changed the GW1 Survivor title until GW2 started. It was during that span that I managed to get the survivor title, along with a few others I needed to complete GWAMM.

Archived