If every Profession had his own unique dot

Rico.6873

They would all still be dots with the same power level(Unless the Areanet in that alternate version managed to ** it up and give each dot its own scaling)Just each profession with its own unique dot/condition in a different suit

What would you think of that?

Having basic conditions everybody can unleash is a bit bland in my eyes but because the system is set in place and such thingsare impossible change, maybe a hopeful idea for Guild wars 3 or when Guild wars 2 gets a system overhaul?

The thing about condition builds in GW2 is that -- outside of burning -- one-condition builds are pretty lackluster. Most condition builds need to stack multiple DoT effects to get close to what can be generated by power builds. That said, the flip side is that builds which can apply too many conditions too quickly can be over-powered. That's not to say that ANet could not adjust conditions to be effective as solo DoT effects -- but if they do they are going to have to severely limit access to multiple conditions in the same build.

The problem with giving every profession a unique, damaging Condition effect is game balance, leading to two possible scenarios. In the First, they are all exactly the same, with differences only being name and visual effect. This theoretically requires more party diversity to stack more conditions and effects, but caps each of them far lower than existing condis that an entire party can work together to stack and maintain (not to mention cluttering the UI even more than it already is). In the Second, they aren't exactly the same, in which case there's no reason not to simply stack up the mathematically "best" one or combination, which creates the exact opposite problem.

Not to say it can't be done well and/or creatively, merely that there's a lot more to it than simple coding and labeling. They should, as they almost always have, keep the boon/condition systems as simple as possible. That way, these systems can be both easier to read and easier to interact with, and therefore less "in the way" of enjoying the game.

Addendum: For the record, every profession does have at least one pulse effect, which are also DoT's, but aren't themselves Conditions (though some do apply Conditions). Usually, these are zones and AoE's, which balance their non-Condition-ness by only existing in a specific, limited space. But I suspect that isn't the intended thought-line being explored here...

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Ronan.9518 said:dot should be short for
d
amage
o
ver
t
ime if i'm correct, which would be condi damage in this game

That helps.

I thought he meant a visible dot on the map like you can see with guildies or party members but with some sort of unique marker, such as color.

Thats what I thought too when clicking this topic.

Technically, one could say the current condi pannel Is fairly unique in how it dishes it's damage :Confusion : Increase damage dealt if skills are usedTorment : Idem but if target is MovingPoison : Reduce Healing effectivenessBleeding/Burning are technically the exceptions : They only increase damage based on stacks, as opposed to specific rules (they Should change that)

Looking at that, the one thing that could be Added is "damage when standing still" and "damage when not using skills" as opposed to Torment and Confusion respectively.

Fear can technically count as a damage condi, but it's so specific, it's not exactly Worth priorizing on receiving a unique effect.

I dont particularly Believe in Class exclusive condi damage personally. Although in some cases, I seriously question the lack of specific condis into a class's roster. Poison is oddly specific for Engineers to use, despite the fact that they have an Alchemy specialization for example.

On the whole, I think this would work better with boons, by having each class able to get multiple different boons for themselves, but only able to share 1-2 boons each. That way you could make roles for each class in a group setting, by dishing out their specific boons.

I don't think making a "specific DoT" for each class would do anything interesting, unless a lot more work went into it, to separate and make each DoT unique with own special abilities etc. At which point I think they would just do better to re-balance and divide the current conditions a bit better. Basically have each class focus primary on 1 DoT condi, plus a few non damage condi's, and have bleeding work as a "bit of everyone/everywhere".

Archived