Finding Traces of Scarlet

Hey all, my 9 near old has recently become hooked on the game and much to her dismay she was of course, too young to experience Scarlet while LS1 was taking place in the game so she has made it her mission to track down all remnants of her in the game. I know there is her hideout by the Durmand Priory, also the broken watchwork night in the mountains, and her place in dry top. Other than that and her hologram in the ??? are there any areas you can think of where you have interactions or remnants of her work. Oh, and just remembered the drill bore in Lion's Arch. (also I wasn't sure if this was better suited for Lore or General Discussion so please excuse me if this wasn't the best category.)

She should check out the town of Prosperity in Drytop, and if possible (if it's unlocked or you can get it for her) the story step Gates of Maguuma. You find one of Scarlet's old hideouts and several of her journals during the story. There's also the Aetherblade path in Twilight Arbor and the Thaumanova Reactor Fractal and Nightmare Fractal, all of which deal with sections of Scarlet's past, but they're all group dungeons (and designed to be slightly harder than normal) so you might need to get a group together to enable her to complete them, allowing time to listen to dialogue along the way.

Edit: The Season 2 story step Seeds of Truth also includes a flash-back scene where you can see Scarlet when she first awakened and was still living in The Grove.

Incidentally your daughter is in good company. Taimi was in the exact same situation: she missed out on witnessing most of Scarlet's attacks first hand, due to being a ward of the College of Statics who considered her too young to be in an active warzone. So after the Battle for Lion's Arch she set out to learn as much as she could about Scarlet so her important discoveries wouldn't be lost and so her motives could be better understood (which proved to be very important during Season 2 and HoT).

There are several fractals that reference Scarlet implicitly or explicitly.

And of course, there are minis and weapons from Scarlet (and her minions/allies) in the game

There is an Inquest member in the top level of Rata Sum that you can talk to that tells you about Scarlet. Also, you can talk to the blacksmith Beigarth in the great lodge at Hoelbrak, he tells you a bit about Scarlet as well. PLus the one Priory Member at the Marionette ruins will tell you some also.

She is mentioned briefly by name in the Nightmare Fractal as well.

And also, you may find a doppelganger of her during the Tarir meta in Auric Basin, and fighting Tequatl in Sparkfly Fen right after server reset...

An inefficient but ultimately comprehensive method of finding everything in the game that mentioned scarlet is to visit the wiki page. On the left nav bar, look for what links here(keyboard shortcut: alt+shift+j). Toss in some filtering mojo to narrow the search and start following the trail of breadcrumbs.

Scarlet's primary article also includes some explicit links.

If you're a sneaky-enough parent, you might be able to turn her passion into learning how to track down internet fact-from-fiction, which is a handy skill to learn. (Or you can just use the what-links-here to find a few more places in the game to visit. [wax on] Not everything has to be a lesson. [wax off])

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Her lair is in lornar pass. Its behind a hidden door in an underground tunnel. The same map also has the remains of the marionette boss.

After all these years, might I have not found this lair? Can you give me a few more details on the exact location, please? :)

Heading south in the tunnels Near the champ ogre but before the frozen lake under the priory is a little side left hand passage which appears to be a dead end, but the wall is an illusion you can walk through

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Heading south in the tunnels Near the champ ogre but before the frozen lake under the priory is a little side left hand passage which appears to be a dead end, but the wall is an illusion you can walk through

Ohhhh! Let me launch the client and check this out right away. =) Thanks!

Wiki says possession of her journal allows you to type a code into her lairs computer to activate the screens. I dont remember any if that but might be worth investigation

Oh, wow! That is so cool. :) The monitor and the dragon painting on the ceiling.

Too bad I don't have any cyphers to open the chests. What were they dropping?

@Randulf.7614 said:Wiki says possession of her journal allows you to type a code into her lairs computer to activate the screens. I dont remember any if that but might be worth investigation

Where would you get that journal? :o

P.S. LOL, this room contained something for the Predator collection.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Oh, wow! That is so cool. :) Too bad I don't have any cyphers to open the chests. What were they dropping?

@Randulf.7614 said:Wiki says possession of her journal allows you to type a code into her lairs computer to activate the screens. I dont remember any if that but might be worth investigation

Where would you get that journal? :o

Not sure if u still can. There are links from the scarlets secret lair wiki all about it, the images, the loot and so forth.

About the cypher: If I remember correctely, you needed to combine 25 code fragments which were dropped during the Marionnette. 25 codes = 1 cypher (key)Also those minor chests give scarlet's journal part. That's why you can see 4 minor chests. So impossible to open them now, the same with the tri-part key chest in LA.

@"hugo.4705" said:Once you completed, scarlet's journal is an account bound gizmo stored in your inventory, you can read it when you want where you want infinitely:

Ah, so it still works to read it. Sweet. What a shame I missed out on Season 1, it sounds exciting storywise, especially with all those secret locations and items that are no longer available.

That's what I had linked above. ;) It's how I knew it was a gizmo. (Unless linked words don't show up on a mobile and you are using the mobile app.)

Mouelp what I'm really angry about is that useless trader at Durmand priory trading scarlet's grasp/pauldron against mordrem spores no longer available. Pls, at least change the currency into mordrem sample or blade shards.

Ls1 was awesome, sadly it was during my exams, and now I regret that I haven't played more during it. Essentially events, not that much story.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:Once you completed, scarlet's journal is an account bound gizmo stored in your inventory, you can read it when you want where you want infinitely:

Ah, so it still works to read it. Sweet. What a shame I missed out on Season 1, it sounds exciting storywise, especially with all those secret locations and items that are no longer available.

That's what I had linked above. ;) It's how I knew it was a gizmo. (Unless linked words don't show up on a mobile and you are using the mobile app.)

It sounds exciting but it wasnt. There was barely any story at all to be honest. It had so e good gameplay moments and what story we had was centered round the episide with the lair and marionette. Rest was just set pieces loosely linked together

You can also find her broken energy probes all over central (core) Tyria. And she's the one that made the steam monsters in Lornar's Pass.

Oh, and one side bit! The Watchwork Knights made by the Queen's researchers in Divinity's Reach were actually based on Scarlet's designs. That became important at one point, because it meant Scarlet was able to take them over. You can see a few deactivated Watchknights in DR near the Queen's Pavilion, and see a few in action in Lake Doric during some events.

Archived