While I'm happy about upcoming balance shift and appreciate the work put into the skill changes, there's one thing that make is completely disappointing for me as a thief main:
- Physical Supremacy: This trait now causes Steal to become Swipe, which reduces the range from 1,200 to 600 and makes the attack unblockable.
- First of all, this description makes it unclear whether the current mechanic of additional dodge stays with the daredevil or gets deleted. I've read this as an additional mechanic to the current functionality since the description doesn't also say 'gain access to physical skill category' which is kinda baseline for daredevil. However, would be nice to get some clarification on this point.
- Second, I don't see how an unblockable steal can be a fair 'trade-off' for a range decrease. Most PvP thief builds (if not all) are mandatory to pick trickery traitline, because of bountiful theft and sleight of hand traits, which already makes it sorta unblockable. So, assuming new daredevil traits won't change the need to pick trickery, there's very little additional value put into unblockable steal, while the 'trade-off' is halved distance. 600 range is less than Legacy's mid point. Imagine, to be out of steal range, while standing on the same capture point in conquest.
- Third, since game launch, steal had 900 range baseline, with long reach trait, which was improving it to 1200. After HoT update, steal was made 1200 baseline and it was very good change. However, a lot of time passed since then, classes got their gapclosers/gapmakers built into their meta tools. And most thief builds still invest 6 out of 9 traits into steal, to make it competitive ability. Personally, I don't see how it'll be productive to thief gameplay to decrease steal value by reducing its range.
- While I understand the intent to make daredevil melee oriented specialization, there are other weaponsets that are utilizing daredevil traits. First of all Dagger/Pistol sets, which is already in a kinda situational spot and there only due to its huge mobility and spike potential, the 600 range will take away both. There are other sets, S/p, P/d, D/d also were able to utilize mobility provided by daredevil and a spike potential of instant cast steal. Now it is all gone.
However, as mentioned trade-off for unblockable part of this skill I still would agree on some range-cut.
so, taking all the argumentation above:
Make swipe have 900 range and make the attack unblockable in addition to previous effects of Physical Supremacy at least in pvp.
I'd appreciate constructive feedback on the topic in a form of:
1. Do you agree with the petition request
2. Your argumentation
Thanks everyone for attention, and looking forward for feedback from Anet's team.