Ideal Time To Get Black Lion Keys By Playing WvWvW

I would like to share the thing that I did before coz I just want to try it out and get some data.

We all know about low level characters for key farming. it's not tedious but it is like the same thing all over and over again like how the second hand move on a clock.

so in the pictures that you'll see, you will know how much time you can get black lion keys from doing WvWvW alone, having 9-14 bar tick on rewards, harvesting tower/camp nodes, doing objectives, killing champs, or maybe getting lucky on a drop.

WU442jP.jpgi5D6PeZ.jpgqqK7nJt.jpg

I started on image 3 upto the time where I got black lion scraps. I don't remember if 2-3 keys for that were included in the package that I bought before.

but the thing you must notice is the middle pic. it says there the average time to get the gold for a 150 gem key.

and that's about 2-3 days..

at least it's not the same thing/routine, all over and all over again..

I'm slightly confused about what you're after - what kind of data are you trying to get?

Or are you just sharing this to demonstrate to other people how much gold they can earn through playing WvW? In which case...

@alcopaul.2156 said:but the thing you must notice is the middle pic. it says there the average time to get the gold for a 150 gem key.

and that's about 2-3 days..

How much play time is that, though? I'm guessing you didn't play for 72 hours straight?

very nice question. that is when I have free time to count. I think from 10 am to 7-8 pm.

9-10 hours/day.

I was trying to get the data with my playing as baseline. and if I assume that im in the middle ground, there are people who earn more than this in WvWvW or less than this in WvWvW.. but this should be the ideal, if you play 9-10 hours of wvwvw.

and that implies things that you should have to know like not all WvWvW is following the server zerg.

@alcopaul.2156 said:very nice question. that is when I have free time to count. I think from 10 am to 7-8 pm.

9-10 hours/day.

Bear in mind that some people (notably, from my point of view, a certain cynical person sitting rather less than a thousand miles from my keyboard) have, you know, jobs, and have to spend those 9-10 hours/day doing dull stuff like working.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@alcopaul.2156 said:very nice question. that is when I have free time to count. I think from 10 am to 7-8 pm.

9-10 hours/day.

Bear in mind that some people (notably, from my point of view, a certain cynical person sitting rather less than a thousand miles from my keyboard) have, you know, jobs, and have to spend those 9-10 hours/day doing dull stuff like working.

you don't have to say that like pouring salt on a wound coz I can retort to saying that there are people who are disabled and can't go outside and the only thing to get them entertained while at home are internet and/or gaming. and also those who have vacations. and also those who work at home. (do I need to add some more)?

@Danikat.8537 said:So it takes you an average of 27 hours (3 days at 9 hours a day) playing WvW to get enough gold to buy a black lion key. Is that correct?

Anyone know how that compares to other gold farming methods?

well PvE and WvWvW are different. The thing that I showed is how many gold can be earned in 3 days of only WvWvW.

and if you're doing that, let's compare data by posting to this thread.

or if you intend to find out and want to do the experiment, please do and lets compare.

This isn't a thread about BL keys. It's a thread about earning gold.

The OP bought keys at 125 gems, which is about 42 gold today and has been closer to 45+ gold the rest of the year (before Skyscale & Vision were introduced). The OP states they played 9-10 hours, so even rounding up to 50 g, that translates to 5g/hour.

4-5g/hour for doing what you want to do anyhow seems really good to me.

It's nothing close to what one would get from Silverwastes or Dragonfall, even for those unfamiliar with optimization techniques. It's also not as good as a number of other things one can do in the game. That's fine; the OP wasn't trying to "farm gold;" they were only demonstrating that even "just WvW" earns enough gold to afford some luxuries. It just depends on how one wishes to spend it.

@alcopaul.2156 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:So it takes you an average of 27 hours (3 days at 9 hours a day) playing WvW to get enough gold to buy a black lion key. Is that correct?

Anyone know how that compares to other gold farming methods?

well PvE and WvWvW are different. The thing that I showed is how many gold can be earned in 3 days of only WvWvW.

and if you're doing that, let's compare data by posting to this thread.

or if you intend to find out and want to do the experiment, please do and lets compare.

I don't really do gold farming, and don't keep track of gold earned and time played closely enough to be able to answer that question. That's why I was hoping someone else would know.

Also just because even now (when it's a lot better than it used to be) I see people insisting that WvW gives hardly any rewards, especially gold, and WvW players are always at a disadvantage when it comes to earning gold. So I thought it would be interesting, now we have data for making gold in WvW, to see how it compares.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:This isn't a thread about BL keys. It's a thread about earning gold.

The OP bought keys at 125 gems, which is about 42 gold today and has been closer to 45+ gold the rest of the year (before Skyscale & Vision were introduced). The OP states they played 9-10 hours, so even rounding up to 50 g, that translates to 5g/hour.

4-5g/hour for doing what you want to do anyhow seems really good to me.

It's nothing close to what one would get from Silverwastes or Dragonfall, even for those unfamiliar with optimization techniques. It's also not as good as a number of other things one can do in the game. That's fine; the OP wasn't trying to "farm gold;" they were only demonstrating that even "just WvW" earns enough gold to afford some luxuries. It just depends on how one wishes to spend it.That was 9-10 hours per day (with a key every 2-3 days) so its actually less than half that.

Even as a WvW player I'd rather work extra for an hour or two and buy the gems for 25 keys or something than spend my entire daily life in WvW, but thats just me.

@Dawdler.8521 said:That was 9-10 hours per day (with a key every 2-3 days) so its actually less than half that.Right. I forgot to account for that.

Even as a WvW player I'd rather work extra for an hour or two and buy the gems for 25 keys or something than spend my entire daily life in WvW, but thats just me.That's a different question that the one the OP was addressing. (Although: easy enough to misunderstand with all the images of BL key purchases.)

The OP earned X amount of gold in Y time. That's the main point.Secondarily, they chose to spend it on BL keys, which is fine, since that is what they seem to like.(Me? like @Dawdler.8521 I'd rather spend my gems on other things)

• 3 weeks later...

So you get a key every 3 days, meaning 30 hours translates into one key. 30 hours of doing the same thing over and over, flipping camps and towers. I get a key once a week from 10minutes. I rather think the traditional key farm is a far better use of time, even though it is the same thing every week, WvW is not any less mind numbing and repetitive if you just flipping objectives. But like someone else said, this thread is not really about key farming but about how much gold you can earn from WvW, which is not a lot sadly

@"Faaris.8013" said:I bet creating one character, boosting it to L80 and do all easy map completions + personal story to 40 results in less time spent for more keys, without having to buy any from the gem store.

If you going to boost to 80 you might as well get the level 60 personal story as well, and with S2 and HOT you can score 2 more, not hard if you have some extra Ascended Equipment lying around.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Roots_of_Terrorhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Into_the_Labyrinth

It will take a while, but it is less than 9 hours and you have a guaranteed 5 keys.

@Omnicron.2467 said:

@"Faaris.8013" said:I bet creating one character, boosting it to L80 and do all easy map completions + personal story to 40 results in less time spent for more keys, without having to buy any from the gem store.

If you going to boost to 80 you might as well get the level 60 personal story as well, and with S2 and HOT you can score 2 more, not hard if you have some extra Ascended Equipment lying around.

It will take a while, but it is less than 9 hours and you have a guaranteed 5 keys.

That sounded good until I checked one of my characters and saw that I cannot pick these story parts right away. I would have to unlock them by actually playing the stories from step 1 :/

@Faaris.8013 said:

@Faaris.8013 said:I bet creating one character, boosting it to L80 and do all easy map completions + personal story to 40 results in less time spent for more keys, without having to buy any from the gem store.

That sounded good until I checked one of my characters and saw that I cannot pick these story parts right away. I would have to unlock them by actually playing the stories from step 1 :/

The S2 story, is really fast! You can start at the beginning of tangled paths, its only three story steps

HOT takes a while, and there are two very long instances, but once you get the hang of it it goes faster, not ideal however and you need a movie or something in the background, and serious motivation that your time is worth the key, but it is still faster than 9 hours of WvW for me.

@Omnicron.2467 said:So you get a key every 3 days, meaning 30 hours translates into one key. 30 hours of doing the same thing over and over, flipping camps and towers. I get a key once a week from 10minutes. I rather think the traditional key farm is a far better use of time, even though it is the same thing every week, WvW is not any less mind numbing and repetitive if you just flipping objectives. But like someone else said, this thread is not really about key farming but about how much gold you can earn from WvW, which is not a lot sadly

look at the old and the new picture that I just posted. it's almost 1 key per day. and that translates to 43 gold per day @125 gems.

by ONLY/MOSTLY doing WvWvW.

Which is like different scenarios everyday.

@alcopaul.2156 said:

@Omnicron.2467 said:So you get a key every 3 days, meaning 30 hours translates into one key. 30 hours of doing the same thing over and over, flipping camps and towers. I get a key once a week from 10minutes. I rather think the traditional key farm is a far better use of time, even though it is the same thing every week, WvW is not any less mind numbing and repetitive if you just flipping objectives. But like someone else said, this thread is not really about key farming but about how much gold you can earn from WvW, which is not a lot sadly

look at the old and the new picture that I just posted. it's almost 1 key per day. and that translates to 43 gold per day @125 gems.

by ONLY/MOSTLY doing WvWvW.

Which is like different scenarios everyday.

But, you’re missing other people’s point. You stated this is 9-10hrs x 3 in WvW, for 43g to buy 125gems for one (ONE!) BL key. That’s less than 2 gold per hour ie not worth it to farm. Play WvW for fun and variety, sure, but if you want Black Lion Keys for gold, you’re better off finding a better farm, and playing the game modes you like for the fun of them, divvy up your game time. Give yourself variety.

at first i decided to try to get Keys in WvWvW. and since i did it lots of time, i decided to examine it.

according to the log, @125 gems its almost 2 days @100 gems its almost 1 day..

that's all.

I've seen some people (at least on my server) play ~12 hour tops. and pretty sure that I'm not alone with the same playtime..

What is the point of this experiement? First off, why convert the value into keys? You could have just gone with: I made X gold in Y hours playing WvW.

Even at 1 key per day of playing 9-10 hours, WvW is aproximately 1/3rd - 1/4th in value compared to good PvE farms. That number is known and has been known to people who farm for a long time (or engage in regular WvW).

I love WvW, but I don't understand what the point of this thread is? It's not comparable to any PvE farms. It's not even comparable to weekly Key farms (of which you can get 3-4 keys in 2-3 hours: story level 10, story level 40, Living World Season 2 Episode 6, HoT Episode 13 and with luck map complation of Dry Top for an extra key.

So, who cares?

needless thread

but for the sake of it, imagine you spending those 9 hours per day in a different way

6 hours a day wvw (which is still alot) 1 hour a day istan meteor farm 1 hour a day riba and 1 hour a day relaxed rich ore gathering with all your alts

you'd still earn, which translates in keys and in a fact more keys

or if you like the competitive, what about pvp? you know where there is actual gold in the pipchests lol

also i had to laugh with ""harvesting tower/camp nodes" yeay 2 silver ore and an elder wood log!