Favorite PvP Balance Blunders — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Favorite PvP Balance Blunders

bethekey.8314bethekey.8314 Member ✭✭✭

On the eve of a new balance patch, what has been your favorite PvP balance blunder over the years? What made it so bad/good? I'm talking about the real juicy kind of change that deserved hotfixes, or made you lose faith in Anet.

Comments

• Abraxxus.8971Abraxxus.8971 Member ✭✭✭

Everything the devs have done in the past concerning pvp in the past few years. Don't know what they think when they are trying to "balance" classes. Oh wait, that's right, they have their apparent faves so they wont be touched, but will make ridiculous changes instead.

Bring back Ceara

• Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭

Petting Zoo.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

Game gets some random gem store additions and a few skill changes; suddenly players start kneeling, rolling and then literally leaving their hitboxes in spawn before walking into every PvP fight as untouchable ghosts which freely do whatever they want. Spaghetti code on levels beyond this dimension.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

Distortion becoming evade. At least was fixed quickly.

Or that one time where all illusions died every time a target entered stealth.

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019

When chaos aura was treated as a glamour and could be traited to blind when hit alongside with a no ICD trait that applied confusion on blind. Mesmer
    When spectral armor and spectral walk had no ICD on LF gain on hit. Necromancer
    When slick shoes didn't have ICD on it's CC effect. Engineer
    When spirit weapons couldn't be damaged. Guardian
    When thief's traps didn't break you out of stealth. Thief
    ... etc.

Edit: Without forgeting the rune patch's "sanctuary runeset" fiasco.

• RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭

Phantaspam chronos when you could get 16 izerkers going off at the same time

• @Dave.6819 said:
    All the nerfs to daredevil that came after HoT and buried it during PoF. It made me quit the game entirely.

this pretty much

• Vancho.8750Vancho.8750 Member ✭✭✭

Enter POF, scourge starts to exist, constant nuclear fields of death and destruction. Every scourge noob getting carried to high places, saying that 1500k damage per game is fine and balanced.

• Falan.1839Falan.1839 Member ✭✭✭

Probably the absurdity that was Scepter 3 power damage on Mesmer, after several damage buffs in a row on that skill. The buffs on Rev Sword 5 come close aswell. Obviously after expansion releases there was a lot of disgustingly broken stuff aswell (Bunker Chrono and DH after HoT release, Scourge and Spellbreaker after PoF), but those weren't really balance patches.

Prismatic Understanding when it was was first revamp to give double stealth uptime was also quite disgusting at the time. Same goes for some turret traits when turret Engi was a thing. Oh yeah, and the Phantasm Chrono after the revamp of Illusions and Phantasm mechanic on Mes. Condi thief at some point as also beyond disgusting, but I don't remember which specific changes fueled that build. Condi Reaper at some point after a change on the trait functionality triggered an absurd number of bleeds on top of its near permanent Chill.

In addition to that there also some short-lived but crazy bugs, like Grenade Berrage piercing (resulting in double hits = oneshots on Berserker, usually coupled with stealth) or the fall trait on Mesmer hitting for 14k+ damage.

And probably a ton more I forgot about.

Falásya / Caissech

"When you say it's gonna happen "now"
    When exactly do you mean?
    See I've already waited too long
    And all my hope is gone"
    The Smiths about Balance and PvP changes

• Alatar.7364Alatar.7364 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Falan.1839 said:
    Probably the absurdity that was Scepter 3 power damage on Mesmer, after several damage buffs in a row on that skill. The buffs on Rev Sword 5 come close aswell. Obviously after expansion releases there was a lot of disgustingly broken stuff aswell (Bunker Chrono and DH after HoT release, Scourge and Spellbreaker after PoF), but those weren't really balance patches.

Prismatic Understanding when it was was first revamp to give double stealth uptime was also quite disgusting at the time. Same goes for some turret traits when turret Engi was a thing. Oh yeah, and the Phantasm Chrono after the revamp of Illusions and Phantasm mechanic on Mes. Condi thief at some point as also beyond disgusting, but I don't remember which specific changes fueled that build. Condi Reaper at some point after a change on the trait functionality triggered an absurd number of bleeds on top of its near permanent Chill.

In addition to that there also some short-lived but crazy bugs, like Grenade Berrage piercing (resulting in double hits = oneshots on Berserker, usually coupled with stealth) or the fall trait on Mesmer hitting for 14k+ damage.

And probably a ton more I forgot about.

Just got PTSD thanks to you.

~ I Aear cân ven na mar

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

when they removed life blast healing trait
    NEVER FORGET

you don't know till you know, ya know.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.