Essence of Luck after you reach 300%

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@"Fremtid.3528" said:My friend who is capped on luck and I frequently build guild halls together and just recently he drained all his luck donating to a hall I'm currently building. No one is to blame for chars and chars filled with exotic luck that you "can't use" where the luck sits useless because you store it and choose not to donate it somewhere because you think anet will add some use for luck that will make you rich later or will benefit you somehow except you. This is a choice you're making. Meanwhile people who aren't capped on luck fall farther on farther behind trying to cap their luck and have to donate luck that could've contributed to their magic find because a large majority of people who ARE capped on it choose to hoard it instead of donating it.

I would wager a large number of those who are capped on luck are also parts of guilds that are done with upgrades that require Luck. So, no, that's still not a use for all of this unusable luck.

Definitely this.Also in order to have all the guild halls your guild has to split between different guilds, each with a different guild hall.

Currently we do have 5 guild slots, and most of the players have 3 for the main guild and 2 free ( storage guilds or different guilds ).

After double-checking the amounts required, any given upgrade (aside from further exploration) only requires a couple days worth of my average luck gain. So, once I hit cap, I can play for a week and supply all of the luck needed for a guild, shy of the Further Exploration upgrade (which would take me most of a month on my average play). Talk about a short-term solution.

That's one person, playing semi-casually for 1-2 hours a day. Not a guild, but one person.

umm what exactly do you do to earn so much exotic luck in 1-2 hours of gameplay a day? I just had space for 984 exotic luck and that was just for the further exploration upgrade (777), hero banner (100 or so i think) and one of the tavern upgrades, there's at least one or two others which I've already done which he's donated for before I think but what do you do where you earn almost 1000 exotic luck in LESS than a month? Given that you only play 1-2 hours a day "semi-casually". Coz it sounds to me like all you're doing is grinding silverwastes and salvaging what you get in your bags for the whole 1-2 hours. I can tell you I find your semi-casual claim pretty hard to swallow. Just coz you don't run a meta build while you grind silverwaste doesn't make you semi-casual. My friend opened tons of new years envelopes last year, but supplied several guilds with their further exploration luck (he just joined, deposited, and left) and he still ran out after this last guild. Now granted, he hasn't had time to play everyday like you since end of summer last year but I'm willing to bet you also didn't open as many lucky envelopes as he did either given you're capped on luck. (And he's been capped on luck since luck release because he was doing a luck salvage droprate thingy).

Also my friend donated lanterns to all our guilds. You don't have to be as generous as my friend because he straight went ridiculous to "never-will-need-a-lantern-ever-again" lengths. But if you like your guilds why not donate some of your unused luck to their decorations? https://imgur.com/a/LfsN9

Edit They can even be used to craft OTHER decorations like the new years statues and other things.

@Fremtid.3528 said:

@Fremtid.3528 said:My friend who is capped on luck and I frequently build guild halls together and just recently he drained all his luck donating to a hall I'm currently building. No one is to blame for chars and chars filled with exotic luck that you "can't use" where the luck sits useless because you store it and choose not to donate it somewhere because you think anet will add some use for luck that will make you rich later or will benefit you somehow except you. This is a choice you're making. Meanwhile people who aren't capped on luck fall farther on farther behind trying to cap their luck and have to donate luck that could've contributed to their magic find because a large majority of people who ARE capped on it choose to hoard it instead of donating it.

I would wager a large number of those who are capped on luck are also parts of guilds that are done with upgrades that require Luck. So, no, that's still not a use for all of this unusable luck.

Definitely this.Also in order to have all the guild halls your guild has to split between different guilds, each with a different guild hall.

Currently we do have 5 guild slots, and most of the players have 3 for the main guild and 2 free ( storage guilds or different guilds ).

After double-checking the amounts required, any given upgrade (aside from further exploration) only requires a couple days worth of my average luck gain. So, once I hit cap, I can play for a week and supply all of the luck needed for a guild, shy of the Further Exploration upgrade (which would take me most of a month on my average play). Talk about a short-term solution.

That's one person, playing semi-casually for 1-2 hours a day. Not a guild, but one person.

umm what exactly do you do to earn so much exotic luck in 1-2 hours of gameplay a day? I just had space for 984 exotic luck and that was just for the further exploration upgrade (777), hero banner (100 or so i think) and one of the tavern upgrades, there's at least one or two others which I've already done which he's donated for before I think but what do you do where you earn almost 1000 exotic luck in LESS than a month? Given that you only play 1-2 hours a day "semi-casually". Coz it sounds to me like all you're doing is grinding silverwastes and salvaging what you get in your bags for the whole 1-2 hours. I can tell you I find your semi-casual claim pretty hard to swallow. Just coz you don't run a meta build while you grind silverwaste doesn't make you semi-casual. My friend opened tons of new years envelopes last year, but supplied several guilds with their further exploration luck (he just joined, deposited, and left) and he still ran out after this last guild. Now granted, he hasn't had time to play everyday like you since end of summer last year but I'm willing to bet you also didn't open as many lucky envelopes as he did either given you're capped on luck. (And he's been capped on luck since luck release because he was doing a luck salvage droprate thingy).

I managed to cap luck with pof, but mine was 270% before ( halloween bags mostly ), and i managed to play 1/2 h per day for a month more or less with pof, then dropped completely.

And i didn't play more or less for 2 years since the mf was released ( since it's my filler game ), so this is something which affects a moderate part of the population.

And I have no problems stating this again.

I ( and I am sure many with me ) don't want something in exchange for my luck.I just want luck to be a wallet currency in order to save space.

If in the future ANET will decide to add some other uses for luck, no problem ( i do not pretend to be rich with luck, nor i want more uses for it. But just in case, wasting it is not a choice ).

Just to be more clear about the situation

VkJywU6.jpg6MBv7rD.jpg7PCJ4cC.jpgu21pWau.jpg

This is more or less what i got in 25 days (with 2h per day ) of playing ( before unidentified item hidden nerf and market adjustement ).I do obviously have 1 character per class, and i am lucky ( no pun intended ) that i only like to play thief and revenant, so the others are just extra slots.

But as you see the problem is definitely real.A wallet currency and a vendor which allows you to purchase essences could be an option, but i would be also fine if all the recipes which require luck would be reworked with different materials, and luck stopped to drop from salvagin. Whatever the solution, a fix is needed.

ps: another character is full of ascended mats ( i do have 8x storage bank, but even so they drop too much ) and black lion salvage tools, which brings the number from 4 to 5.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:Every 10% extra you "consume" you gain a BLC key.

I am a key addict but this would concern me. By 10% what do you mean?

Sorry if this sounds wrong, but if there was a conversion to keys it would need to be a mystic forge recipe that ate MF, Tomes, Ecto's and something else that there is an abundance on, and then it would need to be daily time gated. And when I say MF, a lot, possibly a new legendary level of roll up. And as I said I am key addict, it sucked when daily key runs were removed since it had a nice tie into using tomes gained from PvP and WvW with key hunting. And yes I do acquire keys thru sales too for full disclosure. But still this one would concern me.

Think would prefer cap removal and diminishing returns per % increasing each level/part level. Have said in the past as well, doesn't need to be a full percent each point above cap, you could do it by tenths of a percent with increases per level there as well. Have seen other games do this in the past and it worked since people used items to keep trying to fill it until they reach a point, do I want to do something else versus burn this on luck%?

Actually: > 300% = nothing.I propose we keep consuming after 300%, accumulating an extra % that gives not MF, but BL keys.310% = 1 key.320% = 1 key.330% = 1key.Etc.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@nopoet.2960 said:I always wondered why there isn't a currency exchange. Maybe luck can be used to convert between geodes and airship parts and other currencies. Like 10 geodes + 10,000 luck = 10 airship parts.

that would be the crappiest exchange ever considering the relative ease of getting the respective currencies

It's a luck sink. It's not supposed to be efficient. That said the number can be worked out. The point is a 1 to 1 conversion between currencies paid for by a bunch of luck. Would be a long term solution as we keep getting new currencies.

Right click > delete problem solved!This for the most part is a self inflicted problem. In the vast majority (I'm sure Anet can back this claim up if they'd be willing), players that have maxed out mf have done so actively. Just like one player admitted earlier in the thread of buying lunar fortunes in masse, most of luck comes from buying in masse...ie...salvaging drops alone doesn't get you to >300% except in the most rare of cases.It's basically like those that rush through content wanting more, but a much, much smaller minority.

• Confused 1

@Essence Snow.3194 said:Right click > delete problem solved!This for the most part is a self inflicted problem. In the vast majority (I'm sure Anet can back this claim up if they'd be willing), players that have maxed out mf have done so actively. Just like one player admitted earlier in the thread of buying lunar fortunes in masse, most of luck comes from buying in masse...ie...salvaging drops alone doesn't get you to >300% except in the most rare of cases.It's basically like those that rush through content wanting more, but a much, much smaller minority.

Haven't farmed luck actively I'm just a very active player and I've been that since luck has been in the game. I tried farming for maybe 20% or so, when I was at 150%, but I found it tedious and stopped to never return. I figured that I'd get there eventually and since ANet didn't offer something to do with excess Luck after reaching 300%, and still doesn't, I never felt the urge to rush for the green bar. I slavage most of my loot and donated lots of Luck to my GH for decorations during lunar new year. Nevertheless, reached 300% two months ago by salvaging drops and consuming whatever luck I get.

I solve the problem by consuming the luck, hoping they someday remove the cap and credit all the luck consumed(It's just a best case scenario, don't remind me that it probably won't happen like that ;)). I could store it or buy more decorations for the guild. Any other way to spend that luck would also be highly appreciated. I'd buy additional gold drop percentages for example...I'd settle for additional XP or Karma as well, to keep the reward in the same region of the game. Easiest way would probaby be to remove the cap. 300% isn't set in stone anyway as you can have more from achievements, so why bother with cap'ing at 300% from Luck?

Luck is starting to take a lot of slots up, I'm not feeling to lucky tbh :anguished: . I don't believe this problem can or should be under another cap of sorts and should be solved using multiple forms of function let it be at high costs of luck to achieve. Least then this item will have a value and doesn't seem a waste, what happens when everyone that plays reaches 300%?

@Essence Snow.3194 said:Right click > delete problem solved!This for the most part is a self inflicted problem. In the vast majority (I'm sure Anet can back this claim up if they'd be willing), players that have maxed out mf have done so actively. Just like one player admitted earlier in the thread of buying lunar fortunes in masse, most of luck comes from buying in masse...ie...salvaging drops alone doesn't get you to >300% except in the most rare of cases.It's basically like those that rush through content wanting more, but a much, much smaller minority.

Or maybe we play more than others, maybe we're more efficient with the game, maybe we salvage everything and when we got luck as reward it had a function like a reward from the item if we choose to salvage something or event items. Instead we have an item that is a waste, it used to have value and everyone gets it which is possible for everyone to cap this but still get luck that has no use at all.

@Cerberus.4315 said:

@"Essence Snow.3194" said:Right click > delete problem solved!This for the most part is a self inflicted problem. In the vast majority (I'm sure Anet can back this claim up if they'd be willing), players that have maxed out mf have done so actively. Just like one player admitted earlier in the thread of buying lunar fortunes in masse, most of luck comes from buying in masse...ie...salvaging drops alone doesn't get you to >300% except in the most rare of cases.It's basically like those that rush through content wanting more, but a much, much smaller minority.

Or maybe we play more than others, maybe we're more efficient with the game, maybe we salvage everything and when we got luck as reward it had a function like a reward from the item if we choose to salvage something or event items. Instead we have an item that is a waste, it used to have value and everyone gets it which is possible for everyone to cap this but still get luck that has no use at all.

As someone that has close to 15k hours in this game and keeps up with others with near the same:

i4clgVm.jpeg

• Confused 1

@Fremtid.3528 said:

@Fremtid.3528 said:My friend who is capped on luck and I frequently build guild halls together and just recently he drained all his luck donating to a hall I'm currently building. No one is to blame for chars and chars filled with exotic luck that you "can't use" where the luck sits useless because you store it and choose not to donate it somewhere because you think anet will add some use for luck that will make you rich later or will benefit you somehow except you. This is a choice you're making. Meanwhile people who aren't capped on luck fall farther on farther behind trying to cap their luck and have to donate luck that could've contributed to their magic find because a large majority of people who ARE capped on it choose to hoard it instead of donating it.

I can get about half of the 77 exotic luck just from running a meta event cycle in Istan. I'm trying to farm up the volatile magic, so all the unidentified gear drops is just extra materials to me (though not unwelcome). Bloodstone dust gets thrown into Mawdrey, which gives me more salvage. Same with empyral fragments and dragonite ore. Eyes of Kormir as well get fed into more salvage loot. That said, I still have yet to do more than one Istan meta cycle per day, and I actually haven't capped yet on Luck (though I am getting close).

The fact is, luck has just become easier to get since LS 3 started. It doesn't take a grind to supply a guild with the luck anymore. Considering each of the Guild upgrades aside from Further Exploration are only 77 of the Exotic luck (15,400 luck, which is somewhere between 200-250 green items on average), it really is quite easy to generate it in four days at most. Half that time is easy if you go for high-loot quantity activities.

Seriously, look at how much luck you get on average from a single salvage. An Istan meta event cycle commonly thrusts ~150 unidentified gear at you of the varying rarities. Even assuming 20 of the Rare qualities, which give no Luck on salvage (assuming you deposit the ectos, not salvage them), that's still about 130 salvages, each of which are averaging about 30 luck (this is a lowball estimate. Actual average is probably closer to 40/salvage). 3,900 luck solely from the unidentified gear drops, and that's not counting the actual gear that you get from the mob drops, which typically will add another 20 green items, plus blues. All told, a single person doing an Istan meta event cycle once will generate about a third of the required 77 Exotic essences with "salvage all masterwork and lower." This doesn't take long to do, and the events are actually pretty fun anyway. Whole thing takes less than an hour to do. Doing some daily fractals (I'm talking T1 dailies, so minimal AR required, if any) will easily bring that up to half of your target.

Keep in mind that you don't need that many Exotic lucks to actually drop, you just need the 15,400 total and a character with the Artificier crafting discipline to condense it.

@"Essence Snow.3194" said:

As someone that has close to 15k hours in this game and keeps up with others with near the same:

i4clgVm.jpeg

89xx hours of game play, just hit 300 MF last week. Salvage everything that drops for the materials, or was, now need to think about. Wasn't seeking out things to salvage, or don't remember doing so over the last 4 years. So I wouldn't be surprised if people are there or getting there. I agree, I know people maxed out MF early in some cases, but I would also have to say that people that didn't are also closing in on the cap. Still support the idea of removing the cap and creating diminishing returns for each tenth of a percent point increase. Now cap wouldn't be needed then since each tenth up would require that much more for the next increase. Again, MMOs are about progression versus caps. Just IMO. Good salvaging!

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:Also, to those who keep saying "Guild hall decorations" as a sink for Luck, the only decorations that can be obtained via luck are only possible to purchase a few weeks out of the year (during the Lunar New Year celebration). Lucky Red Lanterns are not available most of the year.

I think this was changed. All seasonal decorations are available at Fion permanently now. Will have to double check when I log in (Edit: I've checked, yes they are available permanently now, and not in season.), I remember it taking me by surprise though when I went to check the cost of the Solid Ocean pieces.

Regardless, I don’t think buying lanterns is a good enough solution. Some players don’t belong to a guild, and others either don’t like Scribing, can’t be bothered, or do not wish to donate a decoration to the guild hall. I personally will craft one/two statues each year (Year of the Rooster was different because of our guild name, so I made 4 of those statues) the rest of the Lunar decor doesn’t really fit in with the Windswept haven. So even though there’s no storage limit, those lanterns will go to waste if someone is just dumping their luck. Plus I’m not using my own resources to refine thousands of lanterns!

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

I can get about half of the 77 exotic luck just from running a meta event cycle in Istan. I'm trying to farm up the volatile magic, so all the unidentified gear drops is just extra materials to me (though not unwelcome). Bloodstone dust gets thrown into Mawdrey, which gives me more salvage. Same with empyral fragments and dragonite ore. Eyes of Kormir as well get fed into more salvage loot. That said, I still have yet to do more than one Istan meta cycle per day, and I actually haven't capped yet on Luck (though I am getting close).

The fact is, luck has just become easier to get since LS 3 started. It doesn't take a grind to supply a guild with the luck anymore. Considering each of the Guild upgrades aside from Further Exploration are only 77 of the Exotic luck (15,400 luck, which is somewhere between 200-250 green items on average), it really is quite easy to generate it in four days at most. Half that time is easy if you go for high-loot quantity activities.

Seriously, look at how much luck you get on average from a single salvage. An Istan meta event cycle commonly thrusts ~150 unidentified gear at you of the varying rarities. Even assuming 20 of the Rare qualities, which give no Luck on salvage (assuming you deposit the ectos, not salvage them), that's still about 130 salvages, each of which are averaging about 30 luck (this is a lowball estimate. Actual average is probably closer to 40/salvage). 3,900 luck solely from the unidentified gear drops, and that's not counting the actual gear that you get from the mob drops, which typically will add another 20 green items, plus blues. All told, a single person doing an Istan meta event cycle once will generate about a third of the required 77 Exotic essences with "salvage all masterwork and lower." This doesn't take long to do, and the events are actually pretty fun anyway. Whole thing takes less than an hour to do. Doing some daily fractals (I'm talking T1 dailies, so minimal AR required, if any) will easily bring that up to half of your target.

Keep in mind that you don't need that many Exotic lucks to actually drop, you just need the 15,400 total and a character with the Artificier crafting discipline to condense it.

Not 77, 777 for further exploration.

@Fremtid.3528 said:

Not 77, 777 for further exploration.

777, not 77,777. You're just off by nearly a factor of ten, there.

And last I checked, I always separated that one out as taking far more work to accomplish than the others. Still easily doable in less than a month for a single player not doing heavy grind. Given my average luck gain, should be doable in about 21 days of, again, semi-casual play. Heck, login rewards are guaranteed to give you at least 6 of those over that time. Small cut for what you need to salvage, but it's there.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:Also, to those who keep saying "Guild hall decorations" as a sink for Luck, the only decorations that can be obtained via luck are only possible to purchase a few weeks out of the year (during the Lunar New Year celebration). Lucky Red Lanterns are not available most of the year.

I think this was changed. All seasonal decorations are available at Fion permanently now. Will have to double check when I log in (Edit: I've checked, yes they are available permanently now, and not in season.), I remember it taking me by surprise though when I went to check the cost of the Solid Ocean pieces.

Regardless, I don’t think buying lanterns is a good enough solution. Some players don’t belong to a guild, and others either don’t like Scribing, can’t be bothered, or do not wish to donate a decoration to the guild hall. I personally will craft one/two statues each year (Year of the Rooster was different because of our guild name, so I made 4 of those statues) the rest of the Lunar decor doesn’t really fit in with the Windswept haven. So even though there’s no storage limit, those lanterns will go to waste if someone is just dumping their luck. Plus I’m not using my own resources to refine thousands of lanterns!

Oh really? That's awesome!

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:Also, to those who keep saying "Guild hall decorations" as a sink for Luck, the only decorations that can be obtained via luck are only possible to purchase a few weeks out of the year (during the Lunar New Year celebration). Lucky Red Lanterns are not available most of the year.Not anymore. Now the holiday decorations can be purchased the whole year.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:Also, to those who keep saying "Guild hall decorations" as a sink for Luck, the only decorations that can be obtained via luck are only possible to purchase a few weeks out of the year (during the Lunar New Year celebration). Lucky Red Lanterns are not available most of the year.

That's the point many don't understand.Other Account bound currencies which are used for the guild

• have also different uses
  • can be mostly used to make golds or profit
  • can be stacked into storage, and probably refined
  • don't drop the way luck does

Let's Take SPvP or WvW potions.

• You could use them for the guildor

• for personal profit.

Let's Take instead a currency which can be traded, like snowflakes.

• You can use them for the guild

or

• sell them to TP, stack them in personal guilds or storage, rafine them, sell them, craft, etc...

As you can see, once you capped luck, you have definitely no other use ( and the fact you still drop luck is an inventory sink ).The luck system was crap since the beginning, because ANET didn't think about what would have happened after the cap ( or they deliberately decided to put this as a inventory/time sink, which would be probably the worst scenario in terms of community ).

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I convert to exotic (500 luck) and store them on an alt, because I can afford the space. If I couldn't, I'd "consume all" (rather than the delete). I don't believe ANet will increase the cap, but if they did, I'd rather have them as part of my account then lost to the ether.

Well exotic essence of luck has 200 luck. Legendary essence of luck has 500, but I never heard you can convert lower potions into it. Is there really any way to do this?

@Gondolph.7201 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I convert to exotic (500 luck) and store them on an alt, because I can afford the space. If I couldn't, I'd "consume all" (rather than the delete). I don't believe ANet will increase the cap, but if they did, I'd rather have them as part of my account then lost to the ether.

Well exotic essence of luck has 200 luck. Legendary essence of luck has 500, but I never heard you can convert lower potions into it. Is there really any way to do this?

You can't.He probably wrote the wrong number

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Essence_of_Luck_(legendary)

@Shirlias.8104 said:

)

Oops. Yeah that was a typo (and I've fixed it in the original post). Sorry for the confusion.As far as I know, there's no way to break deconstruct essences of luck into smaller amounts; you can only combine them via artificer and only up to Exotic (200).

At this point, I'd settle for a recipe that converted three exotic luck (200x3) into legendary (500). The 20% loss would be worth the savings in space.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I convert to exotic (500 luck) and store them on an alt, because I can afford the space. If I couldn't, I'd "consume all" (rather than the delete). I don't believe ANet will increase the cap, but if they did, I'd rather have them as part of my account then lost to the ether.

)

Oops. Yeah that was a typo (and I've fixed it in the original post). Sorry for the confusion.As far as I know, there's no way to break deconstruct essences of luck into smaller amounts; you can only combine them via artificer and only up to Exotic (200).

At this point, I'd settle for a recipe that converted three exotic luck (200x3) into legendary (500). The 20% loss would be worth the savings in space.

Or just requires 5 Exotics and gives 2 Legendary.