GW2 active player base

If one does not enjoy GW2 due to a perceived lack of active players, then perhaps one should find another avenue for entertainment. Clearly, there are enough players (active or otherwise) to satisfy ANet's stakeholders, else the game would have shut down.

Personally, I don't see the relevance of the question as it relates to any individual player. Outside of the stakeholder point above, why should any player be concerned?

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Ok I believe 11 Million players here is talking about accounts purchased. When you compare that number to the number of characters created, right below it, the 11 million players would make sense in that context. This is number of accounts, not active month to month players.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-path-to-the-desert-in-numbers/

Correct although I can’t imagine the number of ppl with multiple accounts is notably high

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Ok I believe 11 Million players here is talking about accounts purchased. When you compare that number to the number of characters created, right below it, the 11 million players would make sense in that context. This is number of accounts, not active month to month players.

Correct although I can’t imagine the number of ppl with multiple accounts is notably high

And each account has at least 4 to 5 alts. Which makes sense for the number of characters.

@Krzysztof.5973 said:Where do we draw the line? How often do you have to login into the game to be considered an active player? Is someone doing the daily and then logs off an active player?

Yes.

@Krzysztof.5973 said:Or somebody who only ever logs in for new story once every 3-5 months?

Yes.

I would draw the line somewhere between 6 to 12 months lot logged in to be inactive. This allows super-casuals and people on an extended vacation to still be counted while excluding most dormant accounts.

Arenanet is a subsidiary of NCSoft a publicly traded company on the Korean Stock Exchange. If people really want facts on how GW2 is doing, they can always go here:http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspxand read the financial reports.

On one hand, it's clear that NCSoft as a whole is getting beaten up. Sales and Revenues are down across the board. GW2 is down compared to 2017 but PoF was released in September of 2017 and a huge spike at launch and tapering off afterwards is expected. 2018 GW2 compares very favorably to 2016 and that's a really good sign.

More and more people are switching from PC/Console games to mobile phone games. Personally I hate the trend. I would rather play on my desktop with 25+ inches of HD screen then pull my dirty smart phone out of my pocket with a 3x6 cracked screen. Mobile games are such a disappointing downgrade across the board...

@Randulf.7614 said:

Apparently, I am 8 of those 11 million.

@Airdive.2613 said:I'd say every player who remembers their login and password and openly admits they're playing Guild Wars 2. B)

Hah, good one! =)

@"Krzysztof.5973" said:Is someone doing the daily and then logs off an active player?

Yes, most definitely. There is a difference between "active player" and "hardcore nutball" (like myself ;) ).

Or somebody who only ever logs in for new story once every 3-5 months?

That's "casual" to me.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:And it matters because??All you as a player need to ask yourself is.. when you log do you still have fun and enjoy your time in the game.

Anything else is inconsequential

Because MMOs are all about population, otherwise it would be a non MMO game. Skyrim has 1 player for instance. It's not a MMO. So that doesnt effect that game. Well GW2 is a MMO, having 1 player like skyrim would greatly impact gameplay.

Yep.. and like I said you have a decision of your own to make when you feel the game pop is not sufficient to get you your fun fix.. put up or move on.An arbitrary number doesn't really mean all that much.. ANET could say they have 7mill accounts or they could say they have 1mill active players or concurrent logins. When you or I log in does that mean all those numbers will be around.. no so we go about playing the game regardless and when we stop enjoying playing, we don't log in.. so no it does not matter in an MMO.The only numbers that do matter are those printed on the bean counter balance sheet back at HQ.. when they are insufficient then I guess none of us has to worry about seeing players on maps anymore.