What off-meta build do you enjoy playing Guild Wars 2 with?

vilesoldier.9826

Isn't a discussion of efficacy or whether a certain build should be meta or not. Also can be PvP, PvE, etc.Just interested in how Revenants are changing up their playstyle that's been working well for them. :)

Personally, condi Herald in PvP has a special place in my heart. The simple gimmick of consistently bouncing condis off of you would be enough to get me excited (especially in such a condi-happy environment) but dang they can also sustain like a truck. I feel like every fight is an uphill battle, but the fun part for me is catching people off-guard and getting that advantage quickly. It also feels like you actually have to practice and 'git gud' to be able to take much of the same fights as meta Rev does, otherwise you get shut down. But the reward feelsgoodman, more often than not I get people whispering me either gf or what build is that, than salty people crying (though those are almost just as rewarding to get)

What about you guys?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNApXmnvNeNS6JvJRVlHlsrykSYW5SJYssrklTFh94zqpBO8Q9SoTA-j1SHQBFUpU50DEgTAgb0EIgjAAAeAAM7QAsUlNbUJou2fgRq/IGgqA-w

This is my favorite build to play in the game, hands down. I only ever roam with it in WvW because when it comes down to it, it is a sub-optimal build, but I have never had more fun on a build than I do with this one. I have been playing it pretty religiously since they reworked Retribution, and the change to Ancient Echo has made it even better. Top notch mobility, high evasion, strong AoE pressure, lots of CC and boonrip, devastating condi transfers. It has an extremely active playstyle and is a very slippery build. Runes of Tormenting are OP and luckily not complained about because they really comprise of a lot of the build's sustain. The build would be a lot harder to play without them. Pulsating Pestilence and Charged Mists are god-tier traits when you learn how to use them...they are the bread-and-butter traits to this build in my eyes.

I won't deny that it has more than a few bad matchups. Anything with high burst power damage (especially ranged) and moderate cleanse can be difficult to fight, which is...well, a lot of what I encounter while roaming because cleanse is powercrept pretty hard and people mostly play high burst specs. Mace and axe are both extremely telegraphed weapons, so it can be really hard to land anything on good players, especially Thieves. I would say that the matchups I have a favorable hand in are Scourge, Reaper, Firebrand, Warrior (unless rifle Zerker), and most condi builds. Most other builds can be a struggle, especially Soulbeast.

Oh and I can't find the proper food, but I just use the cheap dodge food and toughness/vitality crystals from the WvW provisioner.

After the recent balance update I started roaming with this build and have been doing pretty well. It seems to do comparable damage to power Herald which catches a few enemies off guard. If they ever give the Jallis elite and healing skill a decent casting time it'd be perfect. With Ancient Echo we're somewhat close to that though.

This is another build I've tried recently with some success thanks to the update. There's so many ways to heal yourself it's not even funny, plus there's near constant application of barrier on top of that. The condi damage is a little low though so it's only good to annoy people while they tickle you.

I've been roaming with this one for a while and it's probably my favorite build. It's always fun because sometimes enemies just let me kill them with the shortbow auto-attack. They don't expect it to actually hurt so I often get a free pass to shot them in the back while they casually walk away.

Just for fun I played around with diviner/seeker/harrier builds using ret,salvation, and herald (in order to spam boons and barrier to sustain itself, while doing more damage over time and less burst than the traditional power shiro. They were pretty fun and actually solid 1v1ing specs. Renegod can be pretty fun too for pvp, especially because most people don't know what it does and so it's easy to land the necessary skills. Also have made a few condi builds to play around with but I haven't been able to play as much recently so my build testing time is limited.

@"Ario.8964" said:Just for fun I played around with diviner/seeker/harrier builds using ret,salvation, and herald (in order to spam boons and barrier to sustain itself, while doing more damage over time and less burst than the traditional power shiro. They were pretty fun and actually solid 1v1ing specs. Renegod can be pretty fun too for pvp, especially because most people don't know what it does and so it's easy to land the necessary skills. Also have made a few condi builds to play around with but I haven't been able to play as much recently so my build testing time is limited.

What is the "renegod" build? I expect it's another meme tier renegade build, but I've heard it mentioned a few times lately.

Herald/VentariThe midle trait line deppends if i need vampiric damage for heals ill would go shiro or need better boon effect would go invocation, but generally whileon support role this is what i use.Herald passive healing triggers barrier from new ventari trait wich is a good thing.

(Note ventari isnt updated but the slots of traits are correct)http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQJAsunnN2gSyJvQRNlbosoyPU4U5IKIs8EllZlZdjPKx+5s3WNgCeA-j1RDABGqEU+TAQU7PEq6PZp8TP9AA8AACAcAY91Xf91Xvqv+6rv+6rv+6rXKA/GZB-w

I'm glad that there were several people who were open to sharing their off-meta builds, I've been going through a few and most of them look really cool for their niches! A good idea that y'all picked up on that I didn't mention was to link your builds too, so I'll do the same!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQRApe8nnfN2gSuJvQRHlboskyPU4S5IKor8EllTlR9iQOJNgCewO94vH-jpQZQAgyA+9HAA

This is the current iteration of condi Herald that I've been running for a while now. I really like the high health and even higher regen potential that it outputs, all while keeping the condition damage to a competitive level as well. Though, honestly with the other set of weapons (sword and axe specifically) I'm not too sure what to do with them. I've been having ok success with them but they always feel a little out of place, likely because of their more power-orientated playstyle. Despite that, I'm a little hesitant to switch to staff because imo it feels like downtime until you get to swap to your REAL set (which to me is mace shield). If anyone has opinions on what could work better I'm more than open to suggestions.

Power Herald (Devastation,Retribution,Herald) Sw/Sw(shield) + Staffhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnvN2gS6JvQRVlbosryPUYW5IKYs8EllNFSNG34H2/rgPsNAH4BA-jJxHABiv/AAHCAlPCAXXGAA

You lost:

• Fury on weapon swap
  • 1condicleanse or dps increase
  • breakstun on legend swap
  • might generation via Spirit Boon or IR(RIP)
  • dps increase via traits
  • 40% furyBut you get:
  • +25% endurance regen.
  • stability on evade/+dmg reduction if you have stab
  • Retaliation at the end of the dodgeroll
  • 10% dmg reduction, and healing if upkeeps are up.

-Its worst then Metabuild because you lost lot of dmg and you get tiny bit of sustain, but you have some illusion of "dueler,brawler, sustainable" build.-Shared Empowerment gives you little might so you can do some dmg.-This is if you run alone or you do PvP. If you have some boonbots in WvW with you, you can drop Shared Empowerment for Hardening Persistance(Herald) and Retaliatory --Evasion for Dwarven Battle Training (Retribution).-Shield gives you moar sustain but against Metaclasses(lot of unblockable) it is worst choice(Sw4 top).

Traits I saw on stream some time ago, but I forgot name of the guy. I like it is less bursty but still can dish out something, and it gives you "kinda" healup potencional even with Marauder Amulet.

I play Dwarf with many variants including Ventari in ranked, my favorite is Dwarf/Mallyx since you become remotely tanky to any power specs and decent at sustaining/counter pressuring conditions. Like it's an actual jack of all trade build with a bit of a weakness to general utility but it's sustain overcomes anything in the right hands due to the lack of any cooldowns on revenant.

Reached Top 100 last season as Glint/Mallyx though Glint is better against conditions compared Dwarf, it heavily falls against power which is why core has been a new favorite since the F2 was added, I would play core occasionally but it was extremely difficult to play because not getting Charged Mist could mean certain death with Mallyx.

@"Temper.2190" said:What is the "renegod" build? I expect it's another meme tier renegade build, but I've heard it mentioned a few times lately.

Renegod is the build where you can basically have permanent 55% condition damage reduction, that paired with how much Jalis can sustain makes you nearly an unstoppable tank. Unless what they mean is that other Shiro Siphon build which is okay, but not good against AoE stuns due to summons.

For pvp I made this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNApXlnnNWMTyJvmRNlZzsoytZ4UZ3MIs8bmFTl6PFfxaMNAOgIYtGyhgA-jJxHABDt/AAPBg6LDo8pAAA

It has issues with bursts, but it has decent support heals, can literally sit through condition spams while transferring them, helps cleave and revive, and puts dps pressure on. It's pretty fun to play, but you get put on target quick.