Minionmancer: Why do you?

LetoII.3782

He said:

@LetoII.3782 said:We see them in every match.Usually by a camp, usually alone, usually dying.Yet always there.So what's the appeal? Is it a Nightmare Before Christmas kitsch thing? Is there like some secret society? Are you masochists?

Why?

And@LetoII.3782 said:I'm curious because I constantly see them and they never seem to do anything but die O.o

He didn’t say he was killing them (though I am certain he has killed his share) but that he is always coming up and they are dying.

@LetoII.3782 isn’t a zergling.... he might surf them at times but some of ya’ll missin the man’s point.

As for MM in WvW, yes, I almost never see them in a group, almost always solo and always a free bag. I am sure there are some people who can play them well, but I have never run across one, most of them face tank everything and die in a few seconds. I remember someone a while back saying something about PvE builds, so I figured they were PvEers testing out WvW or whatever, never see them deep into any map, its always at the south camps or killing guards at a south tower.

@"DeadlySynz.3471" said:I'd love to see a map que of MM's. Unfortunately, i'd probably DC long before that'd ever happen.

Been done many times.

Many years back, I don't know if it's still a thing, but a MM could do lots of dmg to a gate, full map queue of MM could melt gates faster than 4 rams. We did a guild run like this, 60ish people showed all on MM, we were inside of their bays lords room before anyone responded. We went hills and their zerg showed up as we were hitting inner, but they didn't attack, they stood on the wall, I think because we looked like 200 people they were probably thinking "how?". Once they understood what was going on they killed us pretty easy, as a MM zerg vs a comped zerg is a easy one push wipe. We were just trolling to see how long we could keep it going.

Was a video of YT of it, don't remember the link however, but you can search MM zerg and find a few videos of other people doing it. Not very effective, but a good laugh for sure. It almost always got a PM from the enemy zerg com laughing as well.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"Etterwyn.5263" said:Flesh Golem I admit I use because I hate all Necro elites but at least I don’t feel alone out there with my lil’ buddy.

Aw, but then you're missing out on all the little minions from

You know, how cool would it be if equipping Lich Form caused it to replace shroud when you hit F1?

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

@"LetoII.3782" said:OK, now there's definitely more people who say minionmancer is good than there is good minionmancers in this thread.I might've believed one or two in the game had something special going....

It can do a surprising amount of damage if all the Minions explode in your face consecutively. Think of it like a hybrid Mesmer that can only shatter all it's clones once every 30 seconds - 1 minute. If you get caught in the "shatter" it's definitely going to hurt, but it's probably easier to avoid it than it is to hit someone with it.

I disagree that it has any viability in WvW roaming/small scale however. Literally anything with good cleave and moderate durability ( basically meaning minimum of 2.4k armor and 18k health ) should be able to dispatch the Minion horde with minimal consequence. Assuming the Necro isn't a complete potato though, the player themselves can still be dangerous with all their Minions gone. So it's more about the player relying on their Minions to do everything for them than about Minions being useless.

Honestly I'd say regardless of skill, a Minionmancer is basically a free kill. The only exception is if you're glassy and allow all the Minions to pop in your face.

Uhm, just use power scourge to spamheal and spambarrier the minions and use axe for vuln to increase their damage while you use bunker gear, it can 1vx. You use small shade so you can use the talent to steal all boons, would work with more damaging gear too, like plaguecrafters maybe?

MM used to be a really good duelist back in the day if you could actually use the minions well, stuff like:

• knowing the position of Flesh Golem even if it's behind you or otherwise out of your vision so you can line up a good charge
  • blasting the bone minions for combos and damage
  • getting the most out of Rise! on reaper
  • fear-ing your opponent to walk through your minions

but I doubt it would work now. There has honestly been a lot of power creep and there's just so much aoe damage. The minions used to feel pretty tanky and could shield you, but now they die in 1 hit, so they're almost not worth their cooldowns.

It was also better in PvP than in WvW because the minions are pretty slow and can be easily kited.

It sounds like we have a WvW forum challenge weekend coming up. Create a successful MM build and share your story and build. As far as roaming, in the distance they do seem to be more than they are but then it comes down to spot the assuran in the group challenge. Go go gw2kills.net and theory crafting we go.