Replacing some silver nodes with iron.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:58 PM, Beleron.9347 said:

What I'd like to see is more nodes for lower tier mats on maps I actually want to go to. How about in EoD we see some of those ubiquitous mithril and elder wood nodes replaced with iron, platinum, seasoned and hard wood?

I've been wondering about future zones. It seems kind of absurd to just keep adding more of the top tier materials to every expansion zone. What if EoD had a mixture of all available mats? Hm, maybe not lowest tier.

I'm not sure there's actually much value in the idea of "people come to core zones because they need Iron" when so much of that is just parking alts or waypointing in for a run along an optimized path.

Maybe we could just get a wide variety of the mats we need organically gathering as we play through Cantha?

2 hours ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

I base this proposal on balancing economy towards supply being roughly equal to demand. Absence of resource shortages/excesses is a sign of healthy economy.

There's no shortage of iron ore. And having every resource with equal/similar value was never the goal of any mmo and will never be the goal. Not even just in mmo, it's the same irl. Resources having different prices, demand and supply is normal.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That does not even make sense.

the only way to have it make sense is to assume the majority of people are stupidly going around mining silver despite its lack of value

while also ignoring the fact that there are many sources that gives silver ore as a side effect https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Silver_Ore and that is missing one other source, Glyph of the Prospector

On 8/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Why not ask for a Silver Sink?

Have Anet do something that makes Silver Ore desirable..

Do the same thing with Gold Ore.

Xunlai ingots gobble them both up...but even they are only used for either A) to sell to a vendor to get a Legendary trinket, or B) for use in Scribing.

Those two things only apply to a very small portion of the playerbase, which makes it good for sticking on the TP, but bad in an overall kind of way.

3 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Xunlai ingots gobble them both up...but even they are only used for either A) to sell to a vendor to get a Legendary trinket, or B) for use in Scribing.

Those two things only apply to a very small portion of the playerbase, which makes it good for sticking on the TP, but bad in an overall kind of way.

Agreed.  I am aware of the current sinks.  

I am glad others took the time to point them out to the OP, but I guess my main point to the OP is ‘Ask for something constructive’.  

Changing nodes, as others have pointed out is not going to solve the longer term issue.

By increasing the demand for silver, value goes up rather than the value of iron going down with more nodes.  

• Thanks 1

I'm using the rarity of iron ore, but not in the way you probably think at first. When I run into new players, it is a very good hint for the first small steps. Not talking about those amazing video-guides of Mukluk, WP and the others, just something basic and easy. Something you can do when you have just started playing GW2, first MMORPG ever, when you even struggle with using WASD for movement control. It is a very good start, easy to do, requires very little time and gives some pocked money for leveling gear. Boosting them with veteran resources is not very clever, as it spoils them and ruins their motivation. So I am happy this option still exists.

Looking at the threads progress so far, your suggestion faces a lot of disagreement.  May I ask how much iron you need?

On 8/26/2021 at 10:50 AM, paShadoWn.5723 said:

I base this proposal on balancing economy towards supply being roughly equal to demand. Absence of resource shortages/excesses is a sign of healthy economy.

If your concern is equilibrium, silver ore is one of the most stable commodities in the game.

Currently, it's at 22c lowest sell order and 21c highest buy order.  There literally cannot be a smaller margin than this.  It is at equilibrium.  Note that the equilibrium does fluctuate (due to the business cycle, which is about a week for GW2).  As the equilibrium changes throughout the week you'll see that silver ore is consistently one copper apart between buy and sell orders.  Also, it's fluctuations are extremely consistent and ridiculously predictable.  I cannot emphasize enough how stable this commodity is.

Also, every economy will experience shocks no matter what.  That is because existence is fluid.  As things change, the behavior, desires, wants, needs, etc. of people change.  With that change comes different demand and idfferent supply (to simplify the skritt out of it).

Replacing a percentage of silver nodes with iron will not change the equilibrium price deltas between iron ore and silver ore.  It will definitely shock the market and throw iron and silver out of balance until, with time, they settle to new equilibriums.

Festival of the Four Winds will also create a massive upheaval in the commodities market.  Great example of market shock.

Anyways, your concern about supply and demand being equal has nothing to do with the price of silver ore compared to iron ore.

Edited by Rogue.8235

2 hours ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

I need 90 iron ore daily for Deldrimor Steel crafting. And getting lots of silver along/instead of iron is what prompted me to make this thread.

Soo... why are you even gathering silver when you don't need it?

oof @Azure Prower.8701  going through my profile to spam reaction emotes, something must have hurt his feelings 😢

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

I need 90 iron ore daily for Deldrimor Steel crafting. And getting lots of silver along/instead of iron is what prompted me to make this thread.

I park a few characters at Brisban Wildlands for the occasional Iron Ore mining run.  

This is the area to farm.  You'll want to gather the stuff all around and in the canyon.  Also, that rich iron vein always spawns there, resets daily, and can be mined per character.  Any alts you don't use, park them at that waypoint.

I usually get 18 to 28 ore per character.    

Edited by Rogue.8235
taht is not how you spell that
  • Thanks 1