New elite specialization: The Vindicator

Telgum.6071

Ritualist was my first class I played in Factions (alongside Mesmer as well) and It was really nice to see the appearance of the 'Urn'. However, definitely not happy with the amount of treatment Vindicator is getting with their one-dodge when compared to the Mirage, in regards to mostly the ways of getting back endurance other than from Vigor.

So... the Legends are crap.

Two guys whos biggest achievment was to be the first two dudes killed by the jade wind? Naaa, thanks.

GS looks ok, but I am missing the "revenant twist" other weapons have.

Utilities: Great Idea, but unsure how well they work.

Dodge: Awesome Idea! like it!

Traits... oh boy....
The support part looks pretty cool, but considering that you don't bring quick or alac, heal vindicator will probably fall short of heal alacregade... If it had at least something like 25 might, or prot... but no, nothing... And the don't fell that potent, that you wouldn't just run herald/ventari for additional boons IMO.

Apedt traits felt particular bad tbh....
Not really hyped, ubt lets see how it plays.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

I'm curious to see if anyone can make the alliance legend work in pvp given the limited stats from amulets and the flip over lockout mechanic. Things like protection and stability are always useful but some of the other supportive mechanics may be hard to use effectively on an offensive build. On the flipside (sorry), being locked into the archemorus skills for a time is rough on a more supportive build.

In a way vindicator is a lot like druid in the way it oscillates between being totally defensive/supportive and offensive, which has not always worked very well. At least vindicator retains its weapon skills at all times and offers more than just healing, though.

Another legend with a weak heal is a bit of a worry for pvp modes. Very difficult to pair with shiro. Might be forced into dodge heal with +100% endurance regen (food or trait), and using f2 for condi cleansing (to get to the real heal skill). Which... feeds back into staff stall gameplay, hurray. Stock up on energy sigils now. Greatsword dash and block may or may not provide enough relief with the hopefully reasonably costed stunbreaks...

9 minutes ago, covahlam.6391 said:

I'm curious to see if anyone can make the alliance legend work in pvp given the limited stats from amulets and the flip over lockout mechanic. Things like protection and stability are always useful but some of the other supportive mechanics may be hard to use effectively on an offensive build. On the flipside (sorry), being locked into the archemorus skills for a time is rough on a more supportive build.

In a way vindicator is a lot like druid in the way it oscillates between being totally defensive/supportive and offensive, which has not always worked very well. At least vindicator retains its weapon skills at all times and offers more than just healing, though.

I don't think it will be that limiting. 

Rev doesn't want to camp a legend for long anyway, which means that you will access the Alliance every 20seconds, which lines up with the F2. So, you can use all your skills and flip them, then either use them again or keep them flipped for when you return to the legend.

Worse case scenario, you just burn a skill just to flip it, the cooldowns looked short enough that it felt like it would allow that, less punishing than glint skills for example.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

I don't think it will be that limiting. 

Rev doesn't want to camp a legend for long anyway, which means that you will access the Alliance every 20seconds, which lines up with the F2. So, you can use all your skills and flip them, then either use them again or keep them flipped for when you return to the legend.

Worse case scenario, you just burn a skill just to flip it, the cooldowns looked short enough that it felt like it would allow that, less punishing than glint skills for example.

Good points. With a second legend on swap, there is less need to take full advantage of both facets of the alliance legend.

Edited by covahlam.6391

29 minutes ago, ens.9854 said:

Another legend with a weak heal is a bit of a worry for pvp modes. Very difficult to pair with shiro. Might be forced into dodge heal with +100% endurance regen (food or trait), and using f2 for condi cleansing (to get to the real heal skill). Which... feeds back into staff stall gameplay, hurray. Stock up on energy sigils now. Greatsword dash and block may or may not provide enough relief with the hopefully reasonably costed stunbreaks...

It's about 3500 heal on a 10s cd. The Arch version can heal for more based on targets, while Viktor is AoE. Seems good to me.

• Like 1

Ok, I went back and rewatched, Alliance gives 2 evades on utility skill, the resistance + backwards dodge shown in the trailer is one, then the AoE heal+cleanse on Viktor says it's a 1s evade. Combined with the endurance gain, it seems the spec has pretty solid defenses.

As for the Urn, as I said before, it looked weak, but it heals for 700/sec with no heal gear, and gives you 50% damage reduction and 50% movement speed. It's hard to evaluate tbh. But the actual urn drop seems weak. It heals as much as a single tick and yes it gives some boons, but nothing too spectacular. I really think it should be a barrier instead, it makes sense, you heal your allies with the upkeep then drop the urn to top them up with a barrier and boons. Whereas the heal would be mostly wasted, unless you double tap the skill.

For PvE i still prefer my Renegade, its CC is vital and the combination of effectiveness plus simplicity is a must there.  However the Vindicator in PvP/WvW must be tested. It has some trait/skills synergies  that can be profited together with the extra mobility. But it's a matter of test how effective it is there and compare it to Herald and Renegade depending the build and how you want to play it.   You don't have CC but you get two breakstuns  plus a third from your second stance  and ,probably, enough sustain combining your skills, traits and even runes, it is a Greatsword , Sw/Sw specialization unless you want it as a backliner in WvW.

But the theory is a thing and the practice, the fact.  The endurance regeneration and energy management will be critical. That,  maybe, it's its bigger problem, too many skills are needed to perform in your rotations, Charged Mists should help.  Well, next week, the next chapter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Ok, I went back and rewatched, Alliance gives 2 evades on utility skill, the resistance + backwards dodge shown in the trailer is one, then the AoE heal+cleanse on Viktor says it's a 1s evade. Combined with the endurance gain, it seems the spec has pretty solid defenses.

As for the Urn, as I said before, it looked weak, but it heals for 700/sec with no heal gear, and gives you 50% damage reduction and 50% movement speed. It's hard to evaluate tbh. But the actual urn drop seems weak. It heals as much as a single tick and yes it gives some boons, but nothing too spectacular. I really think it should be a barrier instead, it makes sense, you heal your allies with the upkeep then drop the urn to top them up with a barrier and boons. Whereas the heal would be mostly wasted, unless you double tap the skill.

those skills cost energy remember. there is no way a revenant will be able to rotate all that while going up against the powercreep you saw from the other Elite Specs so far. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ScottBroChill.3254 said:

does the new profession mechanic with the flip only work with the new legend(s)? if so that's kinda a big pidgeonhold on build diversity forcing you to take the new legend when playing the spec. 

That is my doubt. Because in theory you still only have two stances although one of them is an Alliance... so i'm not sure if the F2 should work and trigger the leyend swap traits. In theory Charged Mists shoul be triggered as it's related to legends but who knows or if they'll change the tooltip. Watching the lack of synergy between the Virtuoso and mesmer core traits... anything is possible with the new mechanics regardless the bugs we can discover. 🙄 

Edited by Zoser.7245

It looks like the build should function decently as cleave power DPS which currently feels a void in the revenant toolkit. But the support stuff that is tagged on to the spec seems out of place and to be frank, not very useful. Yeah, the potential healing output is ridiculous, but that's not anything ventari can't already do. Another massive heals little utility spec isn't gonna give revenants a place in the support line up. So, why even have those redundant skills that require the player to press a button to shoo away just to do their DPS rotation?

13 minutes ago, Zoser.7245 said:

That is my doubt. Because in theory you still only have two stances although one of them is an Alliance... so i'm not sure if the F2 should work and trigger the leyend swap traits. In theory Charged Mists shoul be triggered as it's related to legends but who knows or if they'll change the tooltip. Watching the lack of the synergy between the Virtuoso and mesmer core traits... anything is possible with the new mechanics regardless the bugs we can discover. 🙄 

The Alliance Tactic gives Endurance. thats its main role. The Legend specific aspect changes the Vin Legend.