GW2 and Windows 11

I've been running GW2 on Windows 11 for just over a month now and haven't had any problems.

I can't say if I've seen any improvements as a result of Windows, because the whole computer is new (except the monitor and some hard drives) and every part is an upgrade on what I had before, so it's hard to say what would have affected performance on it's own.

I did have problems with the drive it was on, which is an old one I saved from the previous computer. I can tell it's the drive though because if I install it anywhere else, even if I copy and paste the files instead of redownloading them it runs fine. I'd suspected the drive was playing up but the old PC had so many issues it was hard to identify the cause of each one. I'd also hoped formatting it would fix the problem but I think it's a physical fault. But as soon as I moved GW2 to a different drive all the problems stopped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WPbehavior.9148 said:

Ruined everything for me. Old laptop died so i bought a new one that came with windows 11.

Doesnt work.

filled in a ticket and everything for help. 

gw2 does not run on windows 11 was their answer

I believe the answer the CS Team gives is:  "Windows 11 is not supported" (at this time), not "Guild Wars 2 does not run on Windows 11".  Two very different answers.

• Like 2

1) GW2 works just fine on my Win11 5900x system, but Win11 support from ANET doesn't exist yet

2) AMD CPUs no longer suffer the performance loss from an early Win11 update, (which was based on poor utilization of the CPU's cache) because

a) Win11 was updated with a fix

b) AMD updated the chipset drivers with a fix 

c) motherboard BIOSs were also updated since then. (now to AGESA 1207)

of those 3 updates, only the Win11 update was automatic. the other 2 updates may need to be manually updated by the user. 

3) i didn't do any comparisons between Win10 and Win11 because i felt it wasn't worth doing any Win10 benchmarks when i built this PC: I wanted the PC to be up and running in every-day normal status as soon as possible; This PC was 8 generations newer than the old one, so it was going to be a substantial improvement in performance over the previous PC.

4) since the 5900x CPU is a 12 core / 24 thread beast, it's GW2 performances actually benefits substantially from DX11

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had good performance with Win11, although I'm still on build 21H2 since I've been hearing of some performance issues with 22H2.  If you've updated to 22H2 here are some additional settings worth reviewing.

https://prod.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-to-optimize-gaming-performance-in-windows-11-a255f612-2949-4373-a566-ff6f3f474613

3 hours ago, Orion Templar.4589 said:

I've had good performance with Win11, although I'm still on build 21H2 since I've been hearing of some performance issues with 22H2.  If you've updated to 22H2 here are some additional settings worth reviewing.

https://prod.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-to-optimize-gaming-performance-in-windows-11-a255f612-2949-4373-a566-ff6f3f474613

I've had amazing performance since upgrading to win11 and I'm using 22H2 with zero issues.  I'm not using an AMD CPU tho.  I've got an i9-9900k with a 6900XT, which I want to swap to Nvidia as I'm getting sick of "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure".  However, overall, Win11 has been great for me.

1 hour ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

PS: Win 11 22H2 caused a problem with NVidia cards, but their latest Geforce Experience and Drivers have fixed the problem.

I'm not sure which version of Windows 11 I'm currently running, but there's been twice when Windows updated and the next time the computer restarted the monitor said there was no signal coming through the DP cable. I had to plug in an HDMI cable, update the Nvidia drivers and restart the computer to get it working with the DP cable again. (Next time hopefully I'll remember to update the drivers at the same time.)

But I did find an unexpected use for my light-up keyboard: I could tell Windows was running (and therefore the computer was working and the problem was with the monitor) because it changed from blue to red and it only does that when the software is running,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

PS: Win 11 22H2 caused a problem with NVidia cards, but their latest Geforce Experience and Drivers have fixed the problem.

I have an RTX 3070 Ti and this is not a problem for me. I've had W11 since end of August and also got the 22h2 update before the latest NVidia update. Which video card are you using?

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I have an RTX 3070 Ti and this is not a problem for me. I've had W11 since end of August and also got the 22h2 update before the latest NVidia update. Which video card are you using?

it's not a problem for me, now. as the new software and drivers fixed it (Geforce Experience 3.26 and drivers 522.25.

but to answer your question, i'm running 2 2070 Supers in SLI (NVLink). 

NVidia did say it only affected some systems.

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm not sure which version of Windows 11 I'm currently running, but there's been twice when Windows updated and the next time the computer restarted the monitor said there was no signal coming through the DP cable. I had to plug in an HDMI cable, update the Nvidia drivers and restart the computer to get it working with the DP cable again. (Next time hopefully I'll remember to update the drivers at the same time.)

But I did find an unexpected use for my light-up keyboard: I could tell Windows was running (and therefore the computer was working and the problem was with the monitor) because it changed from blue to red and it only does that when the software is running,

on occasion i get a monitor not working error, too... but thankfully it's a simple fix for me: i unplug and replug the DP cable, and if that doesn't work (4/5 times it does), then i reboot the PC and it works. I honestly haven't paid attention to when it occured, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was after driver updates or windows updates each time...