GW2 and Windows 11

21 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

mine is 3 years old and no tpm, I put this together back when the bitcoin farmer craze was raising the pc component prices sky high, so I went with a 320 motherboard for price that dont have the TPM 2.0. Windows 11 says I have to swap my motherboard, that will mean swapping out my cpu 

That means you bought already old hardware 3 years ago. I built mine midway 2018 and it supports everything needed now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Jin.8501 said:

That means you bought already old hardware 3 years ago. I built mine midway 2018 and it supports everything needed now. 

I have an ASRock A320M hdv was released late 2017 i bought it in 2018 because it was compatible with the new amd ryzens 

Device Encryption Support    Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

Edited by Zuldari.3940

Windows 11 is nothing special at the moment. Windows 10 will be supported until 2025. 

It is a bad move from MS to make an obligation to have TPM 2.0. Chips are rare at the moment and the prices high. Also complete stupidness when now tons of hardware goes into the trash. 

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Windows 11 is nothing special at the moment. Windows 10 will be supported until 2025. 

It is a bad move from MS to make an obligation to have TPM 2.0. Chips are rare at the moment and the prices high. Also complete stupidness when now tons of hardware goes into the trash. 

Yeah on one hand I get it, but on the other hand, the timing is the absolute worst for requiring chips when its the worst possible time it's ever been to make/get chips.

I'm still on Windows 8.1 on my main rig till I finish getting parts to build my new one. I'm planning on putting Windows 10 on it until Windows 11 matures. Between performance decreases on Ryzen systems and other quirks that rub my the wrong way, think I'll wait.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Yeah on one hand I get it, but on the other hand, the timing is the absolute worst for requiring chips when its the worst possible time it's ever been to make/get chips.

I'm still on Windows 8.1 on my main rig till I finish getting parts to build my new one. I'm planning on putting Windows 10 on it until Windows 11 matures. Between performance decreases on Ryzen systems and other quirks that rub my the wrong way, think I'll wait.

Yeah I am reading up from ryzen owners that its not great for them, not to mention lots of people dont like the stuff that was removed. Plus if you try to install 11 without being on approved hardware there will be no feature updates and support for you. Plus it can possibly brick your machine. The whole thing about releasing this stuff now when there is a massive price issue and shortage of chips gates must have bought stock in pc components. Plus they had better start looking into adding more cpus, people are not going to buy a new MB and CPU and other components when theirs is only a few years old! you are talking loans now just to get a decent gaming rig.  

Honestly if freaking game performance was reliable and good and more apps and sites used it i would go linux, and drop MS like a hot rock

Edited by Zuldari.3940

The box I have now will stay on Windows 10. It's unfortunate they decided to spring Windows 11 on us when you can't buy a new video card at retail, much less find one available at twice that price. I've always been fine with "the new game" that makes me finally build a new gaming PC, so it's hard to find fault in what they want to do, but their timing really stinks for those of us who build their own PCs, or have one built to spec.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

It's even more ridiculous when you realize that all the functions of win11 that are dependant on you having those chips are actually optional and can be disabled.

For example, the requirement for secure boot? It's for the bios to have that option, but it actually can be disabled. And yet it is a hard requirement for some reason. Same with TPM - the system functions that need it can be disabled as well with no problem and are in no way required for proper functioning of the system, but even then, you still need to have the chip, even if the system is not actually using it.

It almost seems like those requirements are only there to force hardware change on users.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Healy.9537 said:

So is it a yay or nay then for actually getting windows 11?

Installing it now is the eqvivalent of preordering. Everyone agree its stupid, then everyone does it anyway.

Personally I am holding to at least next year. Mostly because they will have tons of bugs to iron out, but ideally I would completely upgrade my system and install Win11 on a fresh drive, but then getting a new card... well at the rate its going it wouldnt surprise me if China is at war with Taiwan when one get around to trying to get a new card and we're in a new kind of shitstorm that make the last years electronics shortage seem like a pleasant dream.

So the answer to your question is probably whatever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Installing it now is the eqvivalent of preordering. Everyone agree its stupid, then everyone does it anyway.

Personally I am holding to at least next year. Mostly because they will have tons of bugs to iron out, but ideally I would completely upgrade my system and install Win11 on a fresh drive, but then getting a new card... well at the rate its going it wouldnt surprise me if China is at war with Taiwan when one get around to trying to get a new card and we're in a new kind of shitstorm that make the last years electronics shortage seem like a pleasant dream.

So the answer to your question is probably whatever.

All my likes! But the reality is they need to manufacture chips and parts here. The USA needs to become self reliant on things like electronics, medicines, foods so many things. 2020 showed us how vulnerable we are because we rely on a foreign country for not only basics, but absolute needs like medicines, medical equipment, ect. If our government really cared about its people they would have learned a valuable lesson, never put your nation at the mercy of another for its needs. 

On 10/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, TristisOris.2165 said:

sounds more like just a fresh system.

without clean benchmarks compare it not a proof of anything.

Ya i think that's Bs aswell, cus what ive seen reported on most sites is that the performance in games overall is actually about 15% Less compared to win 10. Especially on AMD Cpu systems which is an issue that will most likely be fixed this or next month.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-11-is-up-to-15-percent-slower-with-amd-cpusfixes-coming-in-october.html

Edited by Caedmon.6798

On 10/9/2021 at 2:12 PM, Faridah.8431 said:

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft would have been into development of Windows 11 well before COVID and the current chip-shortage issue.

16 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

All my likes! But the reality is they need to manufacture chips and parts here. The USA needs to become self reliant on things like electronics, medicines, foods so many things. 2020 showed us how vulnerable we are because we rely on a foreign country for not only basics, but absolute needs like medicines, medical equipment, ect. If our government really cared about its people they would have learned a valuable lesson, never put your nation at the mercy of another for its needs. 

Then you'd end up paying even more for those chips than you're paying now. Labour costs and all that. And you'd still not become self-reliant, because inside sources of those commodities would go out of business very fast due to the price differences.

Unless you;re offering to subsidy electronic factories in US from your taxes, so they could operate even when showing a loss?

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft would have been into development of Windows 11 well before COVID and the current chip-shortage issue.

That was originally supposed to be one of the next major windows 10 updates (and without those hardware requirements). The first leaks about Win11 didn't appear until quite late in the pandemic, and that seems to have been a decision to capitalize on increased demand due to people staying at home (and working from there) more.

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then you'd end up paying even more for those chips than you're paying now. Labour costs and all that. And you'd still not become self-reliant, because inside sources of those commodities would go out of business very fast due to the price differences.

Unless you;re offering to subsidy electronic factories in US from your taxes, so they could operate even when showing a loss?

No you wouldnt , what we are seeing is the combinations of the trade tariffs, covid pandemic, and freaking crypto miners causing extreme stress on supply.

16 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

No you wouldnt , what we are seeing is the combinations of the trade tariffs, covid pandemic, and freaking crypto miners causing extreme stress on supply.

Yes, we do. But if you think that much higher US labour costs would not have any impact, or thatthe US-produced commodities would not be affected by pandemic or crypto miners, you're naive.

And as for tariffs and transport costs - well, the reason why US-based businesses keep producing stuff out of US is that even after counting those it's still way cheaper than doing it in-country.

Edited by Astralporing.1957

40 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, we do. But if you think that much higher US labour costs would not have any impact, or thatthe US-produced commodities would not be affected by pandemic or crypto miners, you're naive.

It would be higher than what it used to be before all of this ofc , but you are failing to understand its the availibilty of them that is really sending them skyward. We cant get them here this even after the chip makers and sellers said they would increase production. Blame the trade tariffs that we wouldnt have to pay if they made them here, blame the pandemic for all those thousands of cargo ships sitting for weeks and months at our ports to be offloaded, because we cant process them faster because no truckers to get the goods out. Most of all blame the crypto miners that are trying to change the global economic system. Its a perfect storm of bad events coming together, but some of those events can be eased.

It truly is a war between gamers and miners. https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2021/05/24/gamers-cryptocurrency-cryptominers-gpu-microchip/?sh=2f5771ffdbf8

And its going to get worse, even medical equipment and car manufactures are having a hard time getting chips. And when Taiwan goes under China the 💩will really hit the fan.

Death to crypto currency!

Edited by Zuldari.3940

• 9 months later...
31 minutes ago, WPbehavior.9148 said:

Ruined everything for me. Old laptop died so i bought a new one that came with windows 11.

Doesnt work.

filled in a ticket and everything for help. 

gw2 does not run on windows 11 was their answer

This isn't acceptable really.

Windows 11 was released to manufacturing in June 2021. It was released to general availability in October 2021. It has got to the stage where most pre-built machines come with Windows 11 by default.

The Official GW2 Support page on their site states that GW2 requires Windows 7 or Better (64 Bit only) to run. Barring a rediculous arguement about the exact meaning of the words "better" and "later" most right minded people would go with the view that better means later in these circumstances.

For reference Steam Stats show that 21.23% of their users are running Windows 11 64bit.

So we have some people in this thread stating it works fine, others that state it isn't working at all and yet this OS is now the defacto OS on new Windows personal computers.

We have GW2 support saying nope tough it doesnt run on Windows 11.

So @Josh Davis.7865 when are we going to see some sort of openess as to what is going on with Windows 11 and GW2.

Can we have some sort of official announcement, and if it is supported how about some sort of joined up working between your Developers and your Support teams?

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, WPbehavior.9148 said:

Ruined everything for me. Old laptop died so i bought a new one that came with windows 11.

Doesnt work.

filled in a ticket and everything for help. 

gw2 does not run on windows 11 was their answer

If you're feeling adventurous, I run GW2 on Linux through Steam's Proton layer (Pop_OS! 22.04), and have no problems at all.

If you want to test it out, you can run most Linux distributions off of an external drive.

Just a thought 😄

Edited by Mungrul.9358
Unnecessarily sharp!
  • Like 1

I was thinking of going full Linux on my next upgrade. Use that as my primary system and an unlicensed windows 11 for when games just won't work.

I've tried out a few distros. But most seem to have at best a 3 year life expectancy. That's really terrible. My windows install is on year 12 and technically still 100% updated and current on Windows 10. With Linux you expected to regularly erase everything except /home and reinstall.

But hey, windows 12 is on the way. Was semi announced yesterday.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Sad 1