GW2 and Windows 11

So, I have installed Windows 11 yesterday.

Overall I see between 15 and 20% FPS increase, including huge blob fights in WvW or World Boss events.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

I am using:

GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G GPU

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 

32 GB 3200mhz RAM

This is with DX11 enabled, but it was enabled 1-2 weeks before the Windows 11 install too... So the increase is from Windows 11 :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Evil.1580 said:

I am using:

GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G GPU

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 

32 GB 3200mhz RAM

If you want even more performance (in general), Ryzen really benefits from minimum 3600mhz RAM...CL16 or CL14 if you can. Not sure what kit you have.

Edited by Faridah.8431

Hmm looks like I have to upgrade components in order to get win 11. Well there goes 600 bucks, seriously MS TPM really?  A lot of people wont be able to upgrade check here... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

I just thought of something win 11 has higher requirements than GW2 as a whole game lol

Edited by Zuldari.3940

1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Well there goes 600 bucks, seriously MS TPM really?

Every modern motherboard has a TPM slot and every modern CPU is TPM compatible. You can get a TPM for 20 bucks if you don't have one already. Yes it's annoying, but you don't immediately have to upgrade to win 11. The changes, at least right now, aren't big enough to warrant upgrading your entire PC.

2 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Hmm looks like I have to upgrade components in order to get win 11. Well there goes 600 bucks, seriously MS TPM really?  A lot of people wont be able to upgrade check here... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

I just thought of something win 11 has higher requirements than GW2 as a whole game lol

You don't actually need to buy a physical TPM module. In your motherboard bios you have firmware TPM.

For AMD it's called fTPM Switch. For Intel it's called PTT. This qualifies for Windows 11 as I have a Ryzen system with fTPM enabled, along with secure boot, and Windows update said my PC fully meets the requirements to upgrade, so I did and am using Win 11 right now.

Microsoft never really mentioned it, which caused a lot of confusion, and scalpers to buy up all the TPM modules to jack up the prices, only for people to eventually realize you don't need to buy one. LOL

I know for AMD Agesa 1.2.0.3 patch C, fTPM Switch is enabled by default. No idea how Intel handles it.

Edited by Charrbeque.8729
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charrbeque.8729 said:

You don't actually need to buy a physical TPM module. In your motherboard bios you have firmware TPM.

For AMD it's called fTPM Switch. For Intel it's called PTT. This qualifies for Windows 11 as I have a Ryzen system with fTPM enabled, along with secure boot, and Windows update said my PC fully meets the requirements to upgrade, so I did and am using Win 11 right now.

Microsoft never really mentioned it, which caused a lot of confusion, and scalpers to buy up all the TPM modules to jack up the prices, only for people to eventually realize you don't need to buy one. LOL

I know for AMD Agesa 1.2.0.3 patch C, fTPM Switch is enabled by default. No idea how Intel handles it.

Yeah but they require Tpm 2.0,even if you have 1.2 it says your system is not compatible,its all a joke. Now imagine older people that just know how to use the internet and their mail. Do you really think that when buying Win 11 they know about needing to go into bios to enable Tpm ? They dont even know what bios is.  Its such a strange requirement and it will cause issues for many people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Charrbeque.8729 said:

No, i don't. My pc is slightly over 4 years old. Which would have been an issue 10 years ago, where hardware progress was extremely fast, but is of no issue nowadays. Today, a hardware that is so old that it does not have TPM 2.0 (no, 1.2 is not enough for win 11 it turns out), has no secure boot in bios and has a CPU that was made before 2017 is still good enough to have absolutely no problem with any game i can think of, and definitely not in need of upgrading.

But any of those 3 points alone is enough to disqualify that setup from win11. Even if all the things mentioned, while being hard requirements, are tied to stuff that in Win11 is purely optional.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

Now imagine older people that just know how to use the internet and their mail. Do you really think that when buying Win 11 they know about needing to go into bios to enable Tpm ?

I highly doubt that older, non tech-savvy people are interested in upgrading to win 11 or buying a PC that doesn't come with windows already pre-installed

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

Yeah but they require Tpm 2.0,even if you have 1.2 it says your system is not compatible,its all a joke. Now imagine older people that just know how to use the internet and their mail. Do you really think that when buying Win 11 they know about needing to go into bios to enable Tpm ? They dont even know what bios is.  Its such a strange requirement and it will cause issues for many people.

I actually do know many older people (and younger people) who just know how to use the internet and email, a lot of them volunteer on my projects at work. I'd be surprised if many of them know Windows 11 exists yet and they certainly won't be looking to install it on their current PC yet. In my experience people like that rarely upgrade the OS or individual components, they're far more likely to keep using their PC as-is until it develops problems or becomes so obsolete it won't do what they want, then replace the entire machine and get whatever OS comes with the new one, which will be a pre-build, likely a laptop.

(P.S. before someone says it no it's not all older people, many are very good with computers, and a lot of younger people are not.)

Also that's actually what I'm planning to do next time I upgrade too. I can and have built my own PC, but this one is between 4 and 12 years old now (unless you count the speakers, which are 17 years old) and apart from 1 hard drive I don't think there's any part which wouldn't benefit from an upgrade so next time I'm probably going to buy a whole new machine, although probably from one of those websites that let you choose all the components individually.

I'm not expecting to get Windows 11 before then, if I get it at all. I doubt many people are aiming to upgrade right away, most people I know prefer to give a new OS time for any issues to be found and fixed before they get it, even if that doesn't involve upgrading the computer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Wasnt there just news about Windows 11 automatically reducing your gaming performance by ~30% due to security settings?

I think it's possible to disable them. The OEMs were required to have them on and that's where the news came from. But then it'd defeat the purpose of Windows 11.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91613-here-how-you-can-disable-vbs-windows-11.html

That being said, does that mean we have to ditch Windows 10 in 2025 due to end of support? I've been hearing that W11 only supports Coffee Lake + and Zen++

I guess I'll have a new computer by then but given how video cards are atm I really don't want to upgrade atm.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

I call placebo, I had windows 11 and rolled back it's really not worth it atm, you won't get any higher performance, so unless you reallyyyy want a design change, don't do it. My guess OP's windows 10 was screwed up a bit so any OS reinstall would have given him that increase. Windows 11 is just a fancy skin so far with very few meaningful upgrades I would recommend hold off upgrading.

• Thanks 1

Why call it placebo? If OP says gw2 runs better on Windows 11, then it does so. 

Might not be like that for everybody who has Windows 11, since computers arent all the same. Some will get a big boost, others will not see any difference, while for others the experience will be worse.

Im happy that you got a boost, OP! Im looking forward to upgrade to Windows 11 too 😊

Edited by AshkyLicious.4729

On 10/8/2021 at 2:48 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, i don't. My pc is slightly over 4 years old. Which would have been an issue 10 years ago, where hardware progress was extremely fast, but is of no issue nowadays. Today, a hardware that is so old that it does not have TPM 2.0 (no, 1.2 is not enough for win 11 it turns out), has no secure boot in bios and has a CPU that was made before 2017 is still good enough to have absolutely no problem with any game i can think of, and definitely not in need of upgrading.

But any of those 3 points alone is enough to disqualify that setup from win11. Even if all the things mentioned, while being hard requirements, are tied to stuff that in Win11 is purely optional.

mine is 3 years old and no tpm, I put this together back when the bitcoin farmer craze was raising the pc component prices sky high, so I went with a 320 motherboard for price that dont have the TPM 2.0. Windows 11 says I have to swap my motherboard, that will mean swapping out my cpu 

19 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I think it's possible to disable them. The OEMs were required to have them on and that's where the news came from. But then it'd defeat the purpose of Windows 11.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91613-here-how-you-can-disable-vbs-windows-11.html

That being said, does that mean we have to ditch Windows 10 in 2025 due to end of support? I've been hearing that W11 only supports Coffee Lake + and Zen++

I guess I'll have a new computer by then but given how video cards are atm I really don't want to upgrade atm.

Oh its insane , this is straight price gouging, even old cards that would run games decent are going for outrages prices. freaking crypto miners are ruining everything for regular people. This is one time i wish the government would intervene, but most of them are prob running basement crypto servers lol, we cant win. Its absolutely ridiculous to be paying 1000/2000 dollars for a freaking card. 

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1