What do you think is next in store for the future story of Guild Wars 2 after End of Dragons?

De Dominator.9834

Really sorry if a thread like this exists already, tried searching for one but couldnt find it.

Given only one Elder Dragon (well, hostile Elder Dragon) remains and assuming that EoD really will be... well, the End of Dragons. Where do you think the future of Guild Wars 2 and its story will go?

I cant imagine that this will be the last expansion or story content given how the game is still very alive and one of the most active MMOs on the market, and I certainly cant imagine there is the demand or much reason for them to end GW2 and make a GW3 instead, so I feel its safe to assume that the game will be alive, updated and supported for years to come.

So given that, where do you all think things will go once the Elder Dragon narrative is wrapped up? So far the entire story of Guild Wars 2 has in one way or another revolved around the conflict with the Elder Dragons, the only story content that could be considered particularly separate is the Personal Story up until you join an Order, but I cant imagine after all the heights and grand places the story has taken us since then that they would deescalate and start telling more personal lower stakes stories again. I feel alot of the existing story threads are not really suitable for taking over as a main story line, only possibilities I could imagine for a new main story is something entirely new (as in, a brand new threat that hasnt been seen before) or maybe some kind of conflict between the different races of Tyria, given the player characters role as the Pact Commander and later Dragons Watch it would be easy to place the players in a role of trying to keep/restore peace so it wouldnt need any sort of Horde Vs Alliance or other faction type system and so the existing content and maps could be left mostly the same.

Very interested in hearing what peoples thoughts and ideas may be and whether there is any potential narratives that may exist/have been hinted to which I have overlooked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

Really sorry if a thread like this exists already, tried searching for one but couldnt find it.

Search results can be tricky.

Maybe try there :

And there :

4 hours ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

I cant imagine that this will be the last expansion or story content given how the game is still very alive and one of the most active MMOs on the market, and I certainly cant imagine there is the demand or much reason for them to end GW2 and make a GW3 instead, so I feel its safe to assume that the game will be alive, updated and supported for years to come.

I totally can imagine EOD to be the last expansion.
I'm not sure we can bear a 4th e-spec for each profession.
Look at the results there : https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/104033-how-happy-are-you-with-the-eodelite-specs-beta-wise/

Moreover, Seasons of the Dragons looks like a conclusion for LS. The achievement and reward don't leave any space for another LS

Gw1 final story (Ogden's Benediction) shows us the next great enemies : Dragons.

Other hints have all been dealt with :

[Spoiler Alert]

► Jalis and his Dwarves : clear ; Primordius is gone, Glint is gone, here are the Zephyrithes and the Order of the Crystal Bloom.
► Ogden's legacy : clear ; exact same way + Durmand Priory

► Gwen's legacy : clear ; Logan got a whole storyline + Ebonhawke Treaty

► Jora's legacy : clear ; Drakkar is dead, Jormag is dead, Jora's great-granddaughter Jhavi made sure of it.

► Charr's revolution + Pyre's legacy : clear ; Fire legion joined the United Legions ; Kralkatorrik is dead ; Kalla is one of the legend invoke by renegades.

► "New creatures" - Sylvari : clear ; basically the whole HoT storyline + LS2 + Ventari as one of the legend invoke by renegades.

► Livia's legacy : clear ; part of LS3, all Mursaat are dead, Livia is still alive, Shining Blade took care of Caudecus.

So what's next ?
Deal with the last dragon and I guess "End of Dragons" will literally take care of this.

That's why EOD should be the last expansion, the whole story has been told.
Last cinematic should gives hints about Guild Wars 3.
"LS6" should gives some conclusions and helps set the stage for Guild Wars 3, just like Beyond did.

I hope we can travel for new places, far from Tyria, on unexplored continents (see the World map in the Durmand Priory).

Edited by Parthenos Polias.5683
typo
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

Maybe try there :

I do want to precise that the first thread (which i started) was less in what will we face next and more how would we restore the balance that the ED brought (which we skewed by skewering them one after the other

11 minutes ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

Didn't they officially say it wouldn't be the end of GW2 ?

There could be thing that reappear from ancient time due the imbalance in the force Eternal Cycle or whatever it's called, or even threat from where the human originally hail

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

Look at the results there : https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/104033-how-happy-are-you-with-the-eodelite-specs-beta-wise/

Future expansions dont NEED elite specs, they could always replace them by expanding upon the games content in other ways from entirely new professions altogether, new races, new weapons or they could create a brand new sort of progression system altogether or (and god I pray they dont) could introduce a higher regular level cap to add some vertical progression (which I am massively opposed to personally, but could be done), so I dont see elite specs being a thing that would contribute to them not doing any new expansions or not.

Personally I would be extremely disappointed if this is genuinely the end of Guild Wars 2, personally I have only recently returned to the game so it would be an extreme bummer for me if my return had to be fairly short lived (in the grand scheme of MMOs). The only real reason to make a GW3 instead of just expanding and updating 2 is if there is a massive leap/change in terms of gameplay, graphics etc. otherwise there is no real point in doing so especially from a designer perspective. Look at WoW for instance, they just constantly update and expand on a single game theres no WoW 2 afterall. 

They can create a new storyline after the dragons have been defeated and then create new expansions of that, theres so many new locations and potential new things to do in GW2 that it would be a waste not to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

Future expansions dont NEED elite specs, they could always replace them by expanding upon the games content in other ways from entirely new professions altogether, new races, new weapons

No they won't add a new race. Forget about the Tengu.
They won't add a new profession, Guild Wars 2 balance is hard enough right now, remember ranked PvP and WvW do exist.

They won't add new weapons, for the same reason they don't give access to new weapon apart from E-spec, it's would be a technical and a balance nightmare.

2 minutes ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

Personally I would be extremely disappointed if this is genuinely the end of Guild Wars 2, personally I have only recently returned to the game so it would be an extreme bummer for me if my return had to be fairly short lived (in the grand scheme of MMOs).

That's your experience.
Some people are here since  August 28, 2012 and by February 2022 when EOD will release (if no delayed) it will be 10 years. Guild Wars 1 only lasted for 7 years.

8 minutes ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

Look at WoW for instance, they just constantly update and expand on a single game theres no WoW 2 afterall.

When you reason about Mmo, WoW will always be the exception, not the rule.
No other MMO will have the success and the long term run as WoW did.

10 minutes ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

They can create a new storyline after the dragons have been defeated and then create new expansions of that, theres so many new locations and potential new things to do in GW2 that it would be a waste not to. 

And they can do all this (new storyline, new expansion, new location) within GW3.
Remember Guild Wars has always had a strong bound to competitive and PvP environment.

To implement new game mechanisms you need a new game from the scratch (except the backstory)

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

Meh, just because they (imho) did a bad-ish rounds of Expec doesn't mean that have emptied the well. The blame for me somewhat fall around "Cantha" where each expec had to be tied to it:

Willbender are Imperial Guard, Mechanist/Harbringer/Catalyst all use Jade, Vindicator are based on a Canthayan (Luxon/Kurzik)

The are other, less tied to it, but compared to PoF and HoT where it looked more like the Pact people having to find new way to fight by using local techniques (Holosmith, Deadeye, Scourge) or whatever they could find (Scrapper, Berserker) they tried to take a theme and stick with it.

As long as they try a bit and are more imaginative they can find many expec ideas (Like even on the forum there must tons of those, some less likely but other which would be quite sweet to have

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

No they won't add a new race. Forget about the Tengu.
They won't add a new profession, Guild Wars 2 balance is hard enough right now, remember ranked PvP and WvW do exist.

They won't add new weapons, for the same reason they don't give access to new weapon apart from E-spec, it's would be a technical and a balance nightmare.

Im not saying they will or that they should, only that they could. Its purely a few very basic examples to reinforce that they dont HAVE to do elite specs all the time with each expansion.

Some people are here since  August 28, 2012 and by February 2022 when EOD will release (if no delayed) it will be 10 years. Guild Wars 1 only lasted for 7 years.

Yeah I know that, I was purely speaking about myself personally. But I also imagine the vast majority of players would rather continue to see Guild Wars 2 updated and supported rather than have to restart in a Guild Wars 3. Also Guild Wars 1 only lasting 7 years is absolutely no argument for Guild Wars 2 not to be supported longer, WoW aside there is SWTOR, Final Fantasy XIV, Elder Scrolls Online, all games that are over 7 years old, still very active, and still receiving regular support and updates and likely will do for a long time to come. The vast majority of MMOs are in it for longrun, they are live service games that are updated and iterated upon not games that get dropped and have sequels released, in that regard Guild Wars is one of the few exceptions of an MMO that did stop getting developed in place of a sequel instead, though that can easily be seen as being necessary due to the fact that GW1 was not a true MMO (or more specifically, open world MMO, its a squad based multiplayer game with MMO instances/hubs) and such a large transition to turning it into one absolutely required a new game altogether.

When you reason about Mmo, WoW will always be the exception, not the rule.
No other MMO will have the success and the long term run as WoW did.

This point is irrelevant to my overarching point, and any relevant point I have in response to this I just made. But... Runescape.

And they can do all this (new storyline, new expansion, new location) within GW3.
Remember Guild Wars has always had a strong bound to competitive and PvP environment.

To implement new game mechanisms you need a new game from the scratch (except the backstory)

Except they dont need to, it would be a waste of development time and resources as well as the players investment in the game to create a sequel rather than just updating the game. And new mechanics absolutely dont require a new game, since the launch of GW2 we have got a new profession, elite specs, the mastery system, raids, gliders, mounts and so on and so forth all new mechanics that provide new gameplay and progression opportunities and there can very easily be far more of that going forward.

The only reason to make a Guild Wars 3 is if they wanted to undergo a massive scale transition, such as creating a single massive scale open world map rather than multiple separate ones, or a massive graphical or gameplay shift such as moving to an action combat system. Nothing short of that would require a new game and could just be done in updated/expansion to Guild Wars 2 instead.

Edited by De Dominator.9834
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

That's why EOD should be the last expansion, the whole story has been told.
Last cinematic should gives hints about Guild Wars 3.
"LS6" should gives some conclusions and helps set the stage for Guild Wars 3, just like Beyond did.

I hope we can travel for new places, far from Tyria, on unexplored continents (see the World map in the Durmand Priory).

We've seen a world map of which GW1 and by extension GW2 has only covered a small portion of. 

There is no reason we can't now explore other areas not covered in either game or lore thus far and have completely new and unique stories unrelated to dragons, GW1, existing GW2 things etc.

That said, I would like them to expand on some things in smaller story chunks like Malyck's Tree for example, and other unrealized stories. But I'd see those more as "side quests". Any future LW seasons or expansions should creatively explore new areas and ideas.

Also, the fact they are updating to DX11 and overhauling the engine to do so really does not scream "EoD is last expansion" to me.

• Like 3

After EoD I suspect we will get LWS6.

As for the plot of LWS6, I find it unlikely that EoD can cover not only the end of the Elder Dragon story(presumably with Bubbles demise), as well as dealing with all the political intrigue in regards to the Canthan Empire's racism, xenophobia, and isolationism. I suspect LWS6 may be to Cantha as LWS4 was to Elona, a LW season that takes elements introduced in the previous expansion, and expands upon them. Like LWS4 built on the Joko stuff from PoF, and brought Joko's story to a close, LWS6 will do the same for Cantha.

I can also see Anet tying up the god plot in LWS6. We know Lyssa is up to something, but in all of our travels we have gone from the far north, near Tyria's arctic circle, all the way down past the equator. The mountains on the southern part of Cantha are themselves near the antarctic circle of Tyira, so if Lyssa isn't in Cantha, I would be surprised to learn where she is.

After LWS6 is a bit more of a mystery. Guild Wars 2 started off, and added in, a number of stories over the years, and at this point pretty much all of those stories are done. As posters above mentioned there are some smaller "side quest" like stories left to tell like the Wizard's Tower, Malyck's Tree, possibly bringing in the cut Centaur plot from IBS to make peace with them, etc., but that would be an incredibly unfocused season if they tried to bundle them together.

The most logical progression point past the dragons IMO would be moving into the Mists in some way. Like, we know humanity lost their old homeworld for some reason, maybe have an army of Mist creatures be the reason for that. Now that the Elder Dragons and gods are gone from Tyira, they see it as an opportunity to take the planet for themselves. Though I think such a LW season/expansion would probably be GW2's last, by the time they get through LWS6, and a hypothetical LWS7, and X4, we would be another 3-4 years into GW2's lifespan, and 13 years is REAL old for an MMO. And I can't see Anet really upping the stakes after that point without getting into WoW levels of dumb.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:54 PM, radda.8920 said:

There are really people who think guild wars 3 will exist .. given the current state of  arena, you can dream.They are barely able to do an expansion for the current game given the mediocre content of EOD and you think they are able to do another MMORPG.

They will survive only thanks to mobile games after gw2.

If they're already living after that, it's all the good that I don't wish them for taking people for fools.

I'm going to laugh when Endwalker comes out and the wand at their fingers. 😚

Edited by rylien.3824

On 11/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

dealing with all the political intrigue in regards to the Canthan Empire's racism, xenophobia, and isolationism

I will be very surprised (pleasantly so ) if Canthans still have that dark side to them when we get there... but I would not bet on it. I get the feeling the writing team wants to steer clear of those for more "unifying" themes. Distrust and xenophobia hasn't been touched since HoT and the Sylvari incident but the writing leads have changed since then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harak.8397 said:

I will be very surprised (pleasantly so ) if Canthans still have that dark side to them when we get there... but I would not bet on it. I get the feeling the writing team wants to steer clear of those for more "unifying" themes. Distrust and xenophobia hasn't been touched since HoT and the Sylvari incident but the writing leads have changed since then.

I honestly doubt the average Canthan living their day to day life would care about such matters. It would be mostly from the elite/government types.

From what has been set up it would make the most sense to go to the Depths of Tyria as they already mentioned in the IBS that the Asura want to reclaim it once Primordus is gone so once we are finished with whatever is going on in Cantha we could get a notification from Zojja that preparations have been finished asking for our help with further proceedings or something along those lines.

We even have an antagonistic force with the Inquest (which is also the opposing fraction with by far the most set-up right now), which presumably have the same goal Rata Sum has, and whatever else still dwells in the depths.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 9:44 PM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Though I think such a LW season/expansion would probably be GW2's last, by the time they get through LWS6, and a hypothetical LWS7, and X4, we would be another 3-4 years into GW2's lifespan, and 13 years is REAL old for an MMO. And I can't see Anet really upping the stakes after that point without getting into WoW levels of dumb.

My thoughts exactly. This is the primary reason why I don't see that long of a future in active development for GW2 past EoD. I agree that we'll likely see about 2 LW seasons and maybe a 4th xpac, but short of introducing a brand new world-class threat that we've heard nothing about so far, I don't see a global/overarching storyline that can offer the same gameplay and narrative draw offered by the Elder Dragon menace we've been dealing with for the past 10 years.

3 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

From what has been set up it would make the most sense to go to the Depths of Tyria as they already mentioned in the IBS that the Asura want to reclaim it once Primordus is gone so once we are finished with whatever is going on in Cantha we could get a notification from Zojja that preparations have been finished asking for our help with further proceedings or something along those lines.

I'd consider reclaiming the Depths more along the lines of a LW thing now that Primordus is gone. While we certainly know that many minions remain alive and threatening after their master is dead, I'm not sure any remaining Primordus champions (even if they were on the scale of Tequatl, the Shatterer, or the Claw of Jormag) could be spun into a penultimate xpac boss. Might make for a decent new meta boss though.

But yeah one way or another, I definitely see the potential for a good piece of content to come out of a Depths exploration.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012

1 hour ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I'm not sure any remaining Primordus champions (even if they were on the scale of Tequatl, the Shatterer, or the Claw of Jormag) could be spun into a penultimate xpac boss.

Well we know that the Inquest has done extensive research on dragon minions, something like "an Inquest enhanced version" would be easily justifiable.

My guesses are it'll either deal with the Gods, reclamation of the Depths of Tyria/Far Shiverpeaks, or deal with possible Canthan political issues that likely won't be able to get much time during EoD.

Gods/Mists (most likely imo): Obvious Lyssa mystery that still remains unsolved and is still being teased. It was hinted in one of the legendary weapons that at least some of the Gods (specifically Lyssa) may be upset that we killed Balthazar. Also, if the elder dragons are gone, which were the main motivation for them leaving Tyra, the Gods may consider returning with the possibility of either supporting or being hostile towards our method of ending of the dragon cycle (whatever that will be).

Reclamation Efforts (possibly likely): Were recently mentioned during Dragon Bash for the Norn. We still haven't really explored much of the Far Shiverpeaks and none of the Depths of Tyria in GW2, so there could be some interesting Norn/Asura lore there regarding the earlier pasts of those races (from pre-GW1 times, in the case of the Asura).

Canthan Politics (least likely): Luxons/Kurzicks were seemingly forcibly integrated into the Canthan Empire so there may still be tensions there, which could lead to some kind of uprising. However, given the amount of time since that happened, this plot would be unlikely, but still possible.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

My thoughts exactly. This is the primary reason why I don't see that long of a future in active development for GW2 past EoD. I agree that we'll likely see about 2 LW seasons and maybe a 4th xpac, but short of introducing a brand new world-class threat that we've heard nothing about so far, I don't see a global/overarching storyline that can offer the same gameplay and narrative draw offered by the Elder Dragon menace we've been dealing with for the past 10 years.

Especially since most of the smaller racial/ally stories are done. While the Elder Dragon's have been the game's big bad, it was the smaller plots like the White Mantle, or the Charr Civil War, that served as the bulk of the substantive narrative that the Elder Dragon threat was built over. With all of those pretty much done(minus some side stories) there isn't that sort of base to move forward a similar larger scale plot.

Like, the Inquest are the only racial enemy left in any sort of state to be a real issue, and there's some side stories like Wizard's tower, Ghosts of Ascalon, and Malyck, left to cover, but that isn't enough for more then one season.

56 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Reclamation Efforts (possibly likely): Were recently mentioned during Dragon Bash for the Norn. We still haven't really explored much of the Far Shiverpeaks and none of the Depths of Tyria in GW2, so there could be some interesting Norn/Asura lore there regarding the earlier pasts of those races (from pre-GW1 times, in the case of the Asura).

I find this to be the least likely of your suggestions. Its been mentioned in the past that most Asura don't really care about reclaiming the depths, they just want revenge on Primordus. Which they got. The Norn on the other hand only ever occupied a very small portion of the Shiverpeaks, and a good chunk of what was once their lands is now underwater/buried under a mountain of ice. There really isn't space to put another Far Shiverpeaks map unless they layer it over the current EoTN map. Which Anet has previously mentioned is very hard to do.

56 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Gods/Mists (most likely imo): Obvious Lyssa mystery that still remains unsolved and is still being teased. It was hinted in one of the legendary weapons that at least some of the Gods (specifically Lyssa) may be upset that we killed Balthazar. Also, if the elder dragons are gone, which were the main motivation for them leaving Tyra, the Gods may consider returning with the possibility of either supporting or being hostile towards our method of ending of the dragon cycle (whatever that will be).

Canthan Politics (least likely): Luxons/Kurzicks were seemingly forcibly integrated into the Canthan Empire so there may still be tensions there, which could lead to some kind of uprising. However, given the amount of time since that happened, this plot would be unlikely, but still possible.

Both of these can be one season. Much like how PoF was about Balthazar, and introduced/built up the Joko/Sunspear stuff, with LWS4 expanding on it, and moving into the Kralk storyline. LWS6 could expand on Cantha's Empire, and end the god plot by having us deal with Lyssa. Though  doubt the Gods would come back, they left for reasons beyond just the Elder Dragons.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509

Could be a focus on the rise of new magi tech and factions rising up to battle for supremacy in the new World after the Dragons are gone or replaced. I think technology and progression will continue to be at the forefront of the game’s expansion.

Theyve said previously the Mists was not something they’d do because of rules on map making. But, there isn’t much scope left. It leaves changing their stance and going into The Mists, the rest of the Globe - and given the Dragons never went there suggests nothing of interest - or an invasion from “elsewhere”

Itll be interesting to see where they go if I do continue into EOD and beyond though. I don’t see the Dragon arc fully finished by EOD’s conclusion though.

3 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Its been mentioned in the past that most Asura don't really care about reclaiming the depths, they just want revenge on Primordus. Which they got.

Jormag did recently promise the Asura council through Ryland: "When Primordus is destroyed, Jormag will see your former home restored to you." Given Jormag uses their victims' desires to persuade them, I would assume there is at least some motivation among the Asura to reclaim the Depths.

3 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

The Norn on the other hand only ever occupied a very small portion of the Shiverpeaks, and a good chunk of what was once their lands is now underwater/buried under a mountain of ice. There really isn't space to put another Far Shiverpeaks map unless they layer it over the current EoTN map.

It is likely much of the ice was created by Jormag during its awakening between GW1/2. Given that Jormag is dead and their ice has been shown to be controlled by their magic (the receding glaciers in Drizzlewood and initial thawing of the Frozen so soon after Jormag's death), I wouldn't be surprised if much of the ice created by Jormag during their awakening being (partially) receded as well. The giant lake between Bjora and Drizzlewood looks like it could fit ~2 maps without overlap and the current world map could also be expanded (maybe even as soon as EoD to keep it square).

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1

If they are going to continue the story into a new story after Elder Dragon storyline finally ends either in EoD or in LW6, I expect it may focus on the Core region countries beginning expeditions into the lands beyond. Expedition into other regions have been less of a focus for them in current storyline because their focus is all on the war against the Elder Dragon and only time it appears justified for a expedition is to locations suspected to have Elder Dragon activity or know there is Elder Dragon Activity. 

With Elder Dragon threat gone, it is now a more ideal position for the Core countries to explore the unknown regions beyond Core Tyria, Elona, and Cantha. They may even find other civilizations that developed in their own unique way due to how most Elder Dragons themselves were quite focused only within Core regions, Elona, and assuming Cantha.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

We even have an antagonistic force with the Inquest (which is also the opposing fraction with by far the most set-up right now), which presumably have the same goal Rata Sum has, and whatever else still dwells in the depths.

Seriously, no more Inquest please !
How many labs and bases those rats have ?

We have already destroyed :

• - The Royal Chamber Lab in Fahranur
  • - The Lab Sigma-05
  • - Rata Primus (something as bis as Rata Sum)
  • - Kleptotronic Advanced Designs
  • - Thaumanova Reactor (ok, that's one, they blown it themselves)
  • - The Funhouse
  • - The Inquest Outer Complex (Twice, first during Caithe's young and second during an ow event)
  • - The Infinite Coil Reactor
  • - The Inquest Field Lab
  • - The Bauxite Alchemicals
  • - The Inquest Base KD-4

And I'm sure I may forget some others.

Just how many asura are working for the Inquest ?
How many funds does the Inquest have ?

How fast do you build so huge labs ?

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Are there still any remnant of Scarlets Alliance ? Like Mai Trin escaped iirc (In the mist)

The head of the Molten Alliance are still unknown and the Toxic alliance I don't remember how they ended up

Mai Trin would even make sense since she is from Cantha?

They still have a territory in the Mists, you can find Mai Trin there.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Juncture